Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of people in the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of people in the USA
    Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:17
Following suggestions and questions are only about people with European background in the USA.
Despite it being a former British colony i personally dont think American (USA) people look like English, at least most of them. I wonder from which countries it has received the most migrations. Ireland is in the first place as far as i know.
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:22
there are people from all countries in the usa. There are no real numbers from the migrations , so its hard to tell which one was the biggest, but I think the biggest one was definitely the Irish people.
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:25
I'd say Russians and Italians take up second place...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:29
dont forget the germans and jews
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:51
Population of Ireland is something like 6 million, i've read somewhere that there were 40 million people in USA with Irish origins, just how can this be possible? And also it seems the number of people with German background are also significant, was there any event or specific reason for that many Germans leaving their country?
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:53
The failure of the German Confederation's Revolution of 1848-49 led many of its people to emigrate. 
source http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/factover/ch1.htm
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:29
Irish are catholics, they get lots of kids...Tongue Well, they used to anyway...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:47
My 2 cents-
1 Irish
2 Italian
3 Scots
4 German
5 Welsh
6 Russian
7 jews

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 19:25
Germans are the single largest ethnic group in the United States.

the rest are a guess for the order, but I think they're somewhat right:

2.) Irish
3.) Italians
4.) West Africans
5.) English
6.) Scandinavians
7.) Polish
8.) Jews

Edit:

Wikipedia states, "The largest ethnic group of European ancestry is German at 15.2%, followed by Irish (10.8%), English (8.7%), Italian (5.6%) and Scandinavian (3.7%)."

Edit 2:

I also want to make clear, that the reason American whites have a somewhat distinct look is beacuse all of the ethnic groups have merged so much. Last names which indicate ethnicity are so irrelivant now, as someone with a portuguese or Greek last name could be as blonde and blue-eyed as a Northern European from generations of German and Scandinavian admixture. I consider myself Irish because of my stereotypically obvious Irish name, but I actually have more Scandinavian and German blood in me.

Edited by Herschel - 21-Jul-2006 at 19:37
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:06
I see no mentioning of Dutch and Scandinavian people, although I think their share were quite significant.

Most Europeans came in through Ellis Island and the archives there are  a valuable source for genealogy.

In the 19'th century, Scandinavia, as many other countries, was hard influenced by the general European crises, and with an exploding population growth, people were forced to  immigrate, simply to survive.
They had heard rumors of the great land of opportunities, where any farmer could get a piece of land, sufficient to support a family. 
They sold everything to pay the ticket, and only few had anything when they stood on American soil.
About 300.000 Danes immigrated to America in less than 80 years (more than 10% of the population), and I would assume a similar number from Sweden and Norway.

Its fairly easy to trace what routes the different nationalities preferred, and where they settled.
The Scandinavian farmers found themselves at home in northern states like Minnesota, Wyoming, the Dakotas and Nebraska; some went on to Canada as well.

Life wasnt easy, but the farmers were lucky compared to those who remained back in NY and other big cities on the east coast, trying to make a living.
A Dane, Jacob A. Riis wrote a book about the conditions for these people in the 1880's, called:

HOW THE OTHER HALF LIVES
STUDIES AMONG THE TENEMENTS OF NEW YORK

Clicking the Title will take you to the online-version of that book.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:18
I believe it was Cywr who originally posted this ages ago in another topic. Proving for once and for all Roosavelt and Wilson both declared war on the wrong side.

Edited by Paul - 21-Jul-2006 at 20:23
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:25
As said, the top in Europe are German, Irish, English, Italian, Slavs and next (I don't count "Jews" as an ethnic group, no anti-Semitism intended, but saying somebody is of Jewish ancestry is ridicolous, especially when you get into halves and fourths, by that logic, I am half Catholic, a fourth Presbyterian, and a fourth Methodist) and I believe the eigth of the European ethnic groups in America is the Scots if you count the Scots-Irish(which is way more than 5 million, considering the fact that so many southernors idiotically tell the census that they have "American" ancestry which would make the total number of Scots around 10-15 million total).

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:27
Just to add a note to the map above. Most people who clasify themselves as simply "American" are of English and Scottish decent. They are some of the longest settled and most established immigrants to the Americas. Many can trace their roots to before the Revolutionary War.

Edit:

I see Barbarossa beat me to that statement by two minutes.

Edited by Herschel - 21-Jul-2006 at 20:29
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:53
Northman wrote- I see no mentioning of Dutch and Scandinavian people, although I think their share were quite significant.

The first president of the US wasn't GW, he was a Swede, by the name of John Hanson.  Under the Articles of confederation there were 8 presidents elected before Washington.  Because the Articles did not use the name USA or the office of President, They are not listed.  Washington was the first elected under the Constitution. 

Edited by red clay - 21-Jul-2006 at 21:04
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:00
Germans across almost all of Northern US? so why did the public support UK during both wars? especially WWI?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:23
Originally posted by mamikon

Germans across almost all of Northern US? so why did the public support UK during both wars? especially WWI?

Anybody can understand why the U.S. went against Germany in  World War II. As for World War I, if you consider the similarity in cultures, trade relations, and the fact that many Americans felt sympathy towards the Allied cause, and also the Zimmerman note, it is no wonder that the Americans allied with Britain. Also, if you count Irish, Scottish, English, and Welsh descendants in the United States, they will greatly outnumber the German descendants.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:30
Originally posted by Herschel

Just to add a note to the map above. Most people who clasify themselves as simply "American" are of English and Scottish decent. They are some of the longest settled and most established immigrants to the Americas. Many can trace their roots to before the Revolutionary War.

Edit:

I see Barbarossa beat me to that statement by two minutes.

I would also like to note for my Scottish argument I said earlier that about 7% of Americans consider themselves of "American" ancestry, as you said, mostly of English and Scottish descent. Also, besides the Scots-Irish, many people stupidly think that Scotland is part of England, and thus, most undoubtedly the Scots and Welsh were lumped together into English. Also take note that many Americans considered themselves of "British ancestry", of which I am sure some Scots belonged to.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:30
Barbarossa wrote - I don't count "Jews" as an ethnic group, no anti-Semitism intended, but saying somebody is of Jewish ancestry is ridicolous, especially when you get into halves and fourths, by that logic, I am half Catholic, a fourth Presbyterian, and a fourth Methodist.

But Jews consider themselves a seperate ethnic group, and for a very long time, they did not mix a lot. As immigrants, I would consider them a separate group, also because of their behaviour after coming to the US: like other groups, they huddled together in seperate communities with sometimes little interaction with other groups. This makes them a seperate group to consider, in my eyes...

As for the Dutch; I think there are a lot more Dutch people in Canada, Australia and New Zealand than in the US, I would be surprised if they where a group of any significance, after we sold New Amsterdam to England.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:44
Aparently Greeks don't seem to be in your lists. According to the Greek foundation of Greek diaspora, there are about 2,000,000 Greeks in the USA now. Of course that would make them a tiny minority. I think that is because Greeks migrated to the USA mostly in the 20th century, and especially the second half. So they found an already big and established population, and they did not have much time to intermix.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 10:36
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Barbarossa wrote - I don't count "Jews" as an ethnic group, no anti-Semitism intended, but saying somebody is of Jewish ancestry is ridicolous, especially when you get into halves and fourths, by that logic, I am half Catholic, a fourth Presbyterian, and a fourth Methodist.

But Jews consider themselves a seperate ethnic group, and for a very long time, they did not mix a lot. As immigrants, I would consider them a separate group, also because of their behaviour after coming to the US: like other groups, they huddled together in seperate communities with sometimes little interaction with other groups. This makes them a seperate group to consider, in my eyes...

As for the Dutch; I think there are a lot more Dutch people in Canada, Australia and New Zealand than in the US, I would be surprised if they where a group of any significance, after we sold New Amsterdam to England.

They should be considered Hebrew, not Jewish. Jewish is a religion, Hebrew is an ethnic group.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>