Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Languages you 've heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Languages you 've heard
    Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:19
How many languages did you people hear, in your whole life? And which language you think has the most remarcable sonority among those? Is there any language that sounds like "singing"?
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:29

Please post only the languages that you have heard other people conversating in their everyday life, in their own language(not languages you heard in the tv, or in different songs etc). And when you have to choose the better sounding language, please do not choose your own.

My answer

I have heard people conversating in Greek, Macedonian (slavicFYRoM), Bulgarian, Romanian, Turkish, Serbian-Croatian-Bosnian, Slovenian, Italian, German, Flemish, French, Spanish, Catalan, English (as well as some dialects of the above).

In my opinion French has the best sonority, when they speak they sound like singing. Probably thats because of the pluritone accents that characterise the french.
Prej heshtjes...!
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 12:40

In my work, I hear languages from Latin America, Asia and Europe. The best sounded language, in my humble opinion is Italian. It's not only ''singing'', it's very expressive, i know only 100 italian words, but when I hear an Italian to speak, I think that I can actually understand him.

Chinese on the other hand, it's incomprehensible to me.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:15
If we exclude the TV, erm... I've heard very few interesting ones.
That would be Greek, slavomacedonian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Georgian, Armenian, Russian, Turkish, Pomak, Vlachic, Romanian, French, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, English, Finnish, Arabic, Chinese (or something Asian) and some african languages by black people, Nigerian probably. Eh... perhaps some others, I don't recall.
I don't know which sounds the best.
Weird was the Gaellic I heard in a documentary. There was an old guy telling a traditionall 'song' (more like a poem). It is a very 'different' language to my ears this celtic. Not nice, but different.
German with a good accent in the vowels sounds weird also.
Portugese is the ugliest language I've ever heard.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:27

Personally I think Swedish is a languege which is practically sung, but the language I like best is German, when spoken properly... Very suitable for poetry.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:21
I think my favourite to listen to has to be Cantonese. A lifetime of Hong, Kong movies has made me appreciate it, they only have four words in the whole language, but say them in a 1000 different tones.

The worst, we'll I was in Monotone Drone City (New York) once, that was pretty ugly, Welsh is pretty horrid too, just most are too busy rubbing the gob off their face to notice, but I think both have to step aside for Dutch. If they speak a language in hell, it surely is Dutch, Kind of sounds like someone in the latter stages of Tuberculosis having a gargling contest with a Stephen Hawkings and realising they'd accidently used lighter fluid... and that's the poetry.

Edited by Paul - 21-Jul-2006 at 17:26
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:59
Over the years I've been exposed to- Korean, French[F.Canadian and Cajun also] German, Gaelic, Italian, Greek, Yiddish, Chinese[3 dialects] Cambodian, Laotian[Hmung dialect] Welsh, Spanish[ many dialects] English, US- [ dialects- Georgian, West Virginia, Tennesee, Maine]  My Fav.   Yiddish. Smile  
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:08
While I want to thank all of you guys for answering, I would like you to post also your linguistic background (mothertongue and your everyday language). I am trying to do a research on this. And please, focus only on the sound of the languages you have been exposed to for a significative time, and that you have heard live, not through medias.
Prej heshtjes...!
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 21:55

Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian, some form of Turkish, Arabic, Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek (Attic/Koine/Liturgical/Medieval/Modern), Latin, Russian, some Indian dialect, and finally, the only one I read, write, or speak--at least for all practical purposes--English. LOL

-Akolouthos
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by Paul

I think my favourite to listen to has to be Cantonese. A lifetime of Hong, Kong movies has made me appreciate it, they only have four words in the whole language, but say them in a 1000 different tones.

The worst, we'll I was in Monotone Drone City (New York) once, that was pretty ugly, Welsh is pretty horrid too, just most are too busy rubbing the gob off their face to notice, but I think both have to step aside for Dutch. If they speak a language in hell, it surely is Dutch, Kind of sounds like someone in the latter stages of Tuberculosis having a gargling contest with a Stephen Hawkings and realising they'd accidently used lighter fluid... and that's the poetry.

Gee, thanks...I''ll consider it a compliment ok? LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:36
I am a Greek speaker. I speak no specific Greek dialect. I know some dialect words only.
I speak English and German, as second languages.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 17:21
I've heard Greek, Italian, French, Spanish(South American Spanish and Castillian), Portugese, American(Texan, Pennsylvanian, Massachusetts, New York, Georgia, West Virginian), Greek, Yiddish, Russian, Gaelic, the Scots language, German, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Australian English, Canadian English(That man is oot and aboot, eh?), Arabic, Czech, Northumbrian, Cherokee, and Iroqious. I believe that the Scots language and Gaelic sound singy. I have an interest in the Scots language because, as much as it is similar to English, it is sometimes so unintelligible.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 20:06
For me, German sounds the best. Second come the French and the next is Spanish.

When I hear these languages I `see` the history of them, history which is very romantic for me.

boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 19:03
I have heard Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Vietnamese, French, German, Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, Italian, and Hindu (I guess).

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between Spanish and Portuguese. I liked Italian.

I am a monolingual English speaker.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 00:52
Lets see I have heard Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, Latin, Norweigian, Swedish, Arabic, German, Russian, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Somalian(?).  The worst is Vietnamese it sounds like whining to me, but it could just be the pitch of their voices (fairly high).  I like most of the languages I have heard, except Portuguese, but if I had to choose the most musical sounding it would probably be French.  A person speaking french could say the most insulting thing imaginable to you and it would sound like a compliment.  In comparison a person could complement you in German and you would engage in a vendetta against the guy.  Although I do love german because of the fact that they combine a sentence into one word. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 12:56

English, Romanian, French (from France and Quebecois), Italian, Spanish. These are the ones that I speak myself.

Then I've also heard Hungarian, German, Russian, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Greek, Vlach, Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch, Cantonese, Madarin, Hindi, Punjabi, Sinhalese, Tamil, Urdu, Pashtu, Swahili, Arabic, Farsi, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Haitian Creole, Serbian, Finnish, Danish, Tagalog, Bahasia Indonesia, Thai, Armenian, Czech, Catalan, Gaelic and (I think) Bengali.

My favorite: probably Italian or Farsi. The worst sounding (I don't want to offend anyone) but probably Turkish, Tagalog and Dutch.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 13:34
Mandarin, Cantonese, Turkish, Azarbaijani, Kermanji, Sorani, Gorani, Persian, Lori, Laki, MAzandarani, Dari, Pashto, Armenian, Arabic, Russian, Polish, Japanese, Thai, Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Bengali, Swahili, Spanish, Italian, Gaelic (Scots and Irish), Welsh, Cornish, French, Flemish, Dutch, Danish/Swedish/Norw., Finnish, Hungarian, Czech, Serbo-Croat, Greek and I am sure there are some more.

The ugliest and most vile language by far and away has to be Mandarin and then Cantonese, no offence btw to anyone intended, just answering the question. I don't like the sound of Istanbul Turkish at all either.

The most elegant is Persian and French.

My favourites are Azari, Laki, Persian, English, Italian and French.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 15:21
Many... spanish (all the dialects), portuguese, basque, gallego (english word?), catalan, mozrabe, arabic, berber languages (i don't know wich was), many from black frica mainly bant, turk, italian, greek, turkish, bulgar, french, english, dutch, swedish, german, romanian, ukrainian, russian, mandarin chinese, japanese, hebrew and armenian ufff Dead

The best: armenian, greek and medieval mozrabe.
The most curious: bant languages, japanese and the american english from Pensylvania spoke by Emperor Barbarossa LOL
The worst: no guys...
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2006 at 11:12
Actually, for whatever reason, I don't have a Western Pennsylvanian accent. I mean, some people just have a normal American accent, while others have a thick "Yinz goin' dawntawn 'n that?". It is so easy to spot a redneck here, all you have to hear is them saying "yinz" and you know they are a redneck. Besides, Western Pennsylvania has a different accent from Eastern Pennsylvania, which is a lot more New Yorker. I don't know too much about that accent, but Tobodai lives around the area, so he would know more than me.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 05:59
Well I speak natively Greek and Swedish.

I speak fluently English and Norwegian.
I speak less fluently french.

I've heard languages like: Russian, German, Armenian, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Vlach, Serbo-Kroatian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Romanian, Flemish, Sami, Finnish/Estonian, Ethiopian, Georgian, Arabic, Punjabi, Mandarin, Japanese, Hebrew, Thai, Danish, Persian, Hungarian, Polish, Lithuanian and various northern native american languages/dialects.

The best sounding to my ears are: Spanish (Colombia, Venezuella, Chile), Italian, Russian, Persian (only when spoken by women though).

Worst sounding: Danish (no doubt), Hebrew

Edited by Flipper - 02-Aug-2006 at 06:04

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>