Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 18:43
I've often thought, why we have all these different languages?

How did they become so different, when did this linguistic explosion occur, its always been so baffling yet amazing.

I have humbly came to a conclusion that we must have originally spoken one language the ultimate Mother Tongue the one our first anscestors spoke because we Humans began as a small group totally unrelated to anything before.

So what was this Mother tongue, what could be the closest lannguage to what we all originally spoke? I think it may be the indegenous languages of Somalia-Eritria-Northern Ethiopia as that's where we began.

It would be so interesting to discover if any languages today share traits of the earlies languages, or if all languages do.

What are your views of opinions on this? if there are any linguists maybe you could explain the situation with more relavant facts, sources and reasons to back up your arguemnt.

Regards
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 06:29

Probably there was the One Mother Language, but it must have been very very primitive, apish language.

I think basic words like 'Mum', 'Dad', etc are common in all languages. Babies may speak the One Mother Language.
It would be interesting to find these words.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:33

Humanity was already spread out over the world before we began to talk, I believe. Pre-Homo-Sapiens humans are found all over the world, and it is not likely all of these could talk. I dont believe there is a One Mother Tongue, and I certainly dont believe it would still be around, as languages tend to be variable, not static.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:38
The documented original language has been discovered to communicate numbers, around 11 thousand years ago, in many "areas" on Earth.

Before that "primitive people" could communicate but they did not possess a language, so to speak...

at least this is what I have read...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:43
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Humanity was already spread out over the world before we began to talk, I believe. Pre-Homo-Sapiens humans are found all over the world, and it is not likely all of these could talk. I dont believe there is a One Mother Tongue, and I certainly dont believe it would still be around, as languages tend to be variable, not static.

Edited by Paul - 21-Jul-2006 at 16:44
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 18:55
Humanity was already spread out over the world before we began to talk

It wasn't, previous lifeforms sometimes linked to Humans share little in common with us they were a form of Ape. Human's are completely different due to our most original feature which is this brain and intellegence.

Its well documented that Humans started as a small group centred in Eastern Africa, we are the only living species able to communicate in this manner so when this small group was created and formed we must have had one language.

What was this language? will we never know? is there any living languages close to it?

Maybe the stories like Tower of Babel etc relate to this, I'm not for a second saying that this story is its current form has alot to do with hard facts however, most myths have a basis, somthing had to happen for that myth to occur. In Oral tradition what happened gets distorted and exaggerated, the base of the story could be that we all spoke one language at the beginning?

Its just a theory but think about it.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:04
Originally posted by Bulldog

Humanity was already spread out over the world before we began to talk

It wasn't, previous lifeforms sometimes linked to Humans share little in common with us they were a form of Ape. Human's are completely different due to our most original feature which is this brain and intellegence.

Actually hominids share everything in common with early humans and every hominid from homo-erectus onwards had a large brain and intelligence.

Edited by Paul - 21-Jul-2006 at 20:06

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 20:41

I think that this explanation is more likely than the One Mother tongue theory. After all, even if all humans were together, think of how much linguistic variation there is between different groups of people in the same geographic area who share a birth tongue. For instance I wouldn't be caught dead referring to someone as "Dawg," nor would I refer to that city in Massachusettes as "Baston." Heck, I don't even understand some of the things people send me in e-mails and over instant messenger.

-Akolouthos
boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 00:51
Whether or not there was an original language (called "Nostratic" in academic communities) is really a matter of personal belief. Should there be one, then the "split" took place long before writing ever came about, so it's pretty much impossible to guess at what this language might be. Proto-Indo-European was easy enough, since one can compare the earliest written texts of the various languages to try and derive an ancestral tongue, but with something like Nostratic...we have no clue what existed before PIE or any of the other proto-languages.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:43
Actually hominids share everything in common with early humans and every hominid from homo-erectus onwards had a large brain and intelligence.

Not so, these being for hundreds of thousands of years had no more intellegence than a monkey, they could do the most basic of tasks but did not have human intellegence. They had no language.

Humans are totally unique, there is no other beings like us who can communicate, create and have this free will like we have.

Albert Pine

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 07:54
there is no other beings like us who can communicate, create and have this free will like we have.

Almost any being on this planet can communicate, create and do whatever it likes....bad argument. There are extremely few things a human can do which animals cant do at all, we just took it a bit further. The basics are there in nature.

edit - besides, this free will of humans is still a bit of an argument isnt it? got proof? Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-Jul-2006 at 07:55

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:53

besides, this free will of humans is still a bit of an argument isnt it? got proof?

I don't quite understand what particular argument you are making against free-will--or indeed if you are making such an argument at all. Care to elaborate?

-Akolouthos
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 14:35

I've often thought, why we have all these different languages?

I have humbly came to a conclusion that we must have originally spoken one language the ultimate Mother Tongue the one our first anscestors spoke because we Humans began as a small group totally unrelated to anything before.

Regards

Well done you.

I can tell you that the source of all modern human languages is that of the San Bushmen, look it up.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 15:43
Almost any being on this planet can communicate, create and do whatever it likes....bad argument. There are extremely few things a human can do which animals cant do at all, we just took it a bit further.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

Can Cats, Dogs and Monkeys surf the internet, find AllEmpires forum and begin to qustion who they are, what they're doing or what their purpose is?

This is such an unbelievably enormous miraculous difference which seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom, were totally unique and different.

As we totally differ and are a unique creation we must have had an initial language. We are all human and have one ancestor who began this race, this initial group had to have had a language to communicate in because their brain is the same brain that we have today.
Albert Pine

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 18:44

Not so, these being for hundreds of thousands of years had no more intellegence than a monkey, they could do the most basic of tasks but did not have human intellegence. They had no language.

Humans are totally unique, there is no other beings like us who can communicate, create and have this free will like we have. 

Do you have evidence to show every single brain measurement taken on early human skulls by paleontoligists and museums across the world is wrong and your statement is correct?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 05:38

Almost any being on this planet can communicate, create and do whatever it likes....bad argument. There are extremely few things a human can do which animals cant do at all, we just took it a bit further.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

Can Cats, Dogs and Monkeys surf the internet, find AllEmpires forum and begin to qustion who they are, what they're doing or what their purpose is?

This is such an unbelievably enormous miraculous difference which seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom, were totally unique and different.

As we totally differ and are a unique creation we must have had an initial language. We are all human and have one ancestor who began this race, this initial group had to have had a language to communicate in because their brain is the same brain that we have today.

If there is one thing humans are not, it is unique. Of course cats can not surf the internet, thats plain stupid. You must look on a more general scale. Animals can communicate: even cretures as little as bees have an complicated means of communicaton where the good stuff is to be found.
Animals can use tools. Not only apes, birds like crows can learn to use twigs or rocks to get to food, so again, not unique to humankind.
There are lots of animals which can recognise themselves in the mirror, Again not only apes or monkeys but birds as well, so self-conciousness is not unique to humans either.
Nor is having a will of its own strictly human. If I call our cat to come over and be stroked, sometimes she comes at once and sometimes she just looks and turns away. She has a very strong will of her own.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 05:42
Originally posted by Akolouthos

besides, this free will of humans is still a bit of an argument isnt it? got proof?

I don't quite understand what particular argument you are making against free-will--or indeed if you are making such an argument at all. Care to elaborate?

-Akolouthos

I'm not making any argument against free will... Bulldog stated that humans are the only beings with free will. What I meant is that there is still some debate going about how much free will humans have. I believe in free will, but there are people who believe in destiny or fate, which exclude free will to some degree. Smile
Apart from that, having a free will is in my opinion not a exclusively human trait.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 07:59
If there is one thing humans are not, it is unique. Of course cats can not surf the internet, thats plain stupid. You must look on a more general scale. Animals can communicate: even cretures as little as bees have an complicated means of communicaton where the good stuff is to be found.

Ofcourse Humans are totally unique, a bee will still be a bee doing what bees do today in ten thousand years, communicating in the same way, not thinking, changing, advancing.

There is no other species which is creative and inventive like humans were totally unique.

Look even having the ability to sit here and debate wether were unique or not is unique, can two birds sit here and debate like this?  

Animals can use tools. Not only apes, birds like crows can learn to use twigs or rocks to get to food, so again, not unique to humankind.
There are lots of animals which can recognise themselves in the mirror, Again not only apes or monkeys but birds as well, so self-conciousness is not unique to humans either.

The early apes used a sharp stone for hundreds of thousands of years they never devoloped at all, they did not have the intellegence to realise or do anything new.

The whole idea that these ape creatures are supposed to be our ancestors is absolutely ridiculous and has never been conclusively proven for it to be accepted.

If we are all descended from these Ape creatures and they were spread around the world "allready" that means we humans are not equal, were not the same and are actually different species, this whole idea is racist. How could we have all became the same humans if we were spread around the Earth and exposed to totally different environments and situations and so could not have developed at the same rate or same manner. This idea is flawed if it is argued we humans are all equal and one.

This is why I say we must have had one original language as were all from the human race. A unique creation totally different to anything else.

Edited by Bulldog - 23-Jul-2006 at 08:01
Albert Pine

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 08:49
If we are all descended from these Ape creatures and they were spread around the world "allready" that means we humans are not equal, were not the same and are actually different species, this whole idea is racist. How could we have all became the same humans if we were spread around the Earth and exposed to totally different environments and situations and so could not have developed at the same rate or same manner. This idea is flawed if it is argued we humans are all equal and one.

Human evolutionary theory doesn't say this.

Not reading the theory or knowing anything about it bar the name. Making up yourself something you think it should say and then proclaiming what you made up is wrong doesn't exactly put the theory of evolution in any danger itself.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 09:08
Indeed Paul, I totally agree.
Bulldog, perhaps you should do some reading on the matter of evolution before discarding it. I did read the Bible before discarding it, so you could return the favor...
And your ideas on evolution and psychology are about a hundred years behind. It is plain stupid arrogance to think humans could be unique. And if you think humans are "thinking, changing, advancing", think again. If there is one thing one can learn from history, it is that humankind stubbornly refuses to learn from history...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>