Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mameluke sultan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mameluke sultan
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 12:16

Is anybody here aware of the name of Egyptian sultan(Mameluk) who was captured in the castle and he just flied away from the walls and escaped in 18th century?

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:29
The Mameluck Sultanate was destroyed under Selim II (Or was it III, any way, one of the Selims) in 1517. I'm really not sure which Sultan you mean- after the Mameluks there were various other Sultanates such as Burji, but these were quite small and engaged in rebellions against such leaders as the Napoleonic French, the Ottomans and the British (after they annexed Egypt in the 1880's- 1882 I think). I'll do some research and come back to you Dantuna- watch this space....
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 05:09
Memluks aren't egyptian :D
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 10:38
Thanks  Aster!  This Mameluk ruler might have lived not more than till 1820.......I know his real name and strange story, his real name is Sinjikashvili (Georgian)....There is a picture in one of the tamples where he's jumping out from the castle walls in Cairo.......                       Egyptians should know it.....maybe.......Looking for your answer anyway!                       
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 11:07

I'll have a look at it- sounds interesting!

Urungu Han- I know that the Mamlucks are not Egyptian- its just that when i read Osmans Dream, Caroline Finkel seemed to put emphasis on Mamluck rule in Egypt- Thus, i thought that their main seat of power was in Egypt, also, when the Ottomans attacked the Mamlucks they seemed to by trying to press towards Egypt. I should be more clearer in my replies, sorry, My Bad!

Post Reply Post Reply