Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Last ancient empire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last ancient empire
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 06:03
What makes an ancient empire an ancient empire?

I think the ottomans or is it the byzantines
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 06:42
The Byzantines were the last ancient empire, the sole continuation of the ancient world rather than the transformation of the ancient world as was the case elsewhere. Though Byzantium did, of course, transform into a medieval state, yet with a pecular set of ancient world features continued.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:40

Yes- i would agree. It was a direct link to the Roman empire and echoed many aspects of Classical Culture. Most of the other ancient empires had been destroyed or absorbed

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:42
The Ottomans were a state that seemingally came up from no-where. They and the Seljucks were the first Turkic states in Turkey. The Ottomans really began with their capital at Erdine in around the 1300s. They did not have that many links to any other ancient empires and before they were simply Nomadic peoples and tribes from central Asia. An ancient empire seems to me to be an empire that has a direct continuation (As Constantine XI said) with Prior empires and has carried through a culture.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:43
What about China or Japan?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:50
China, i think it is possible to call them an ancient empire as they transgressed and picked up pieces of drior dynasties, but with the huge amount of Migration and invasion that has taken place, it's hard to say. Japan probablly more so, but when nice Mr.Perry came in with his warships and ended their isolation (Before this, Japan was so isolated that i believe that it was an ancient empire) the change was so great, and again after WWII when the Japanese were Westernized more, probably not- but i'm not sure and i do not know that much about Japanese history.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 22:41
Roman empire western type would be the last ancient/classical empire. The term is more of a western term so would be hard to compare China, Japan and dont forget India.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 04:01
How about the Ethiopian Empire as the prime example for an ancient Empire surviving till the modern age, thus being the last. 
When its last Emperor Haile Selassie was overthrown in 1974, it could look back on a history that virtually continued politically uninterrupted from the begin of the Axumite Kingdom in the first century BC, and culturally from its adoption of the Monophysite/Coptic variety of Christianity in the 4th century.
It had its moments of internal upheaval and dynastic changes, but in its core it remained remarkably stable.

Edited by Komnenos - 21-Jul-2006 at 04:02
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 10:01
I would have to put the ottomans for the last ancient empire.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 11:10
The Ottomans do indeed have a long Heritage, but they were not in Turkey until the 1100s- before that they were simply Nomads. They may have founded an empire, but neither they nor their empire has any links with the ancient world.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 11:26
Mabey my question was not that clear. Well I wrote it wrong.

what I ment was the ottomans are the last classic empire.

without collonies just oldfashion addding land to your own. without technology(like I don't know you need to have technologie at some point but you know before the gun was invented the wars didn't change for over 3000 years yeah de blades were sharper arrows quicker armour better but you get the point)
the ottomans lost the war to nationalism

how did the modern empires deal w<ith that problem like france in north-afrika, britain in India pakistan etc russia in central asia and east european countries don't forget the dutch in indonesia
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 11:33
It depends of your Definition of "Classic"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 15:56
I rote it above read it more carefullyBig smile 
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 16:36
Ottoman Empire was a feudal medieval empire. I don't see how it can be considered as ancient or classic.
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:30

I think the Chinese was the last ancient empire and the most long term.

If we can say that is an ancient.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:36
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Mabey my question was not that clear. Well I wrote it wrong.

what I ment was the ottomans are the last classic empire.

without collonies just oldfashion addding land to your own. without technology(like I don't know you need to have technologie at some point but you know before the gun was invented the wars didn't change for over 3000 years yeah de blades were sharper arrows quicker armour better but you get the point)

the ottomans lost the war to nationalism

how did the modern empires deal w<ith that problem like france in north-afrika, britain in India pakistan etc russia in central asia and east european countries don't forget the dutch in indonesia

How was the British empire different from the Ottoman? Both were driven by interests to conquer and gain wealth. Both hands were constantly bloody. And Britain, thanks to the two cold war rivals, lost most of its areas through nationlism too. The ottoman empire were heavy user of cannon and firearms for a long period of there existance. Maybe more then half. I'd never say they were ancient.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:58
Originally posted by Komnenos

How about the Ethiopian Empire as the prime example for an ancient Empire surviving till the modern age, thus being the last. 
When its last Emperor Haile Selassie was overthrown in 1974, it could look back on a history that virtually continued politically uninterrupted from the begin of the Axumite Kingdom in the first century BC, and culturally from its adoption of the Monophysite/Coptic variety of Christianity in the 4th century.
It had its moments of internal upheaval and dynastic changes, but in its core it remained remarkably stable.

I agree with you on this one.

-Akolouthos
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 09:03

"How was the British empire different from the Ottoman? Both were driven by interests to conquer and gain wealth. Both hands were constantly bloody. And Britain, thanks to the two cold war rivals, lost most of its areas through nationlism too. The ottoman empire were heavy user of cannon and firearms for a long period of there existance. Maybe more then half. I'd never say they were ancient. "

The Ottoman empire's power was more militarilly driven wheras the British Empire's power was cheifly economic. India became part of the British Empire by a gradual process of inflitration and economic power by William "Diamond" Pitt and the East India Company. Egypt became part of the Ottoman empire through simple military conquest
 Post Reply Post Reply