Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 128>
Author
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 17:57
Originally posted by rider

Only the sixth?

I decided to jump back into this topic. I left this place sometime during the Wellesly-Napoleon discussion (I think) but now I see that the top hasn't changed. And I can't agree to that.

Suvorov, should, by himself, be better than Napoleon. The same would go for Suvorov and Hannibal. For, as Napoleon and Hannibal both lost several battles, Suvorov supposedly lost not one battle in the entirety of the wars he fought in.

I also propose that for any further changes to the list, the person in question qould have to be throughly compared to the person before (and the person after). This would mean that the two (three) are compared, their style of fighting, style of campaigns and the ingenuity that helped them win those battles. Also, when the two are compared, it would be easier to decide whether the person can go a step above or not. This would help avoid 
situations where it would be evident that the person could be made higher but it would be 
unsure how much...

NB! Sorry for the typing in the last paragraphs. Something went wrong with the engine.

Suvorov, while an excellent general (as evidenced by his ranking) never had the same level of competition as the two you mention.  That's why I have him lower (though note that he has been climbing).

EDIT:

For those who didn't notice, version 6 of the list is out on the previous page.

Edited by DSMyers1 - 18-Feb-2008 at 18:00
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 18:52

Only the sixth?

I decided to jump back into this topic. I left this place sometime during the Wellesly-Napoleon discussion (I think) but now I see that the top hasn't changed. And I can't agree to that.

Suvorov, should, by himself, be better than Napoleon. The same would go for Suvorov and Hannibal. For, as Napoleon and Hannibal both lost several battles, Suvorov supposedly lost not one battle in the entirety of the wars he fought in.

I also propose that for any further changes to the list, the person in question qould have to be throughly compared to the person before (and the person after). This would mean that the two (three) are compared, their style of fighting, style of campaigns and the ingenuity that helped them win those battles. Also, when the two are compared, it would be easier to decide whether the person can go a step above or not. This would help avoid 
situations where it would be evident that the person could be made higher but it would be 
unsure how much...

NB! Sorry for the typing in the last paragraphs. Something went wrong with the engine.
Does anyone have any quality books on Suvorov?  My understanding is he indeed won all his battles, however many of those were pyrhhic victories; bloody battles he won because of superior numbers on his side.  (in which case I find his position ironic considering the pioneer of those type of battles is not even on the list...)
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 19:14
the new list looks pretty descent, but i still have three issues with the new list:

1. the top 10 (excluding top 4) is too euro-centric and i certainly don't agree with most candidates there.

2. why is Davout and Manstein still on the list, particularly so high on the list?

3. no dropping of Mahmud of Ghazni and Rundstedt!

about Suvorov. it can be argued he fought inferior enemies most of the time, such as the Pugachev rebellion & the Ottomans. only in the French Rev Wars he fought the French and his Army (not Suvorov himself but still) was defeated in the second battle of Zrich by Massena.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 19:30
If an army of a General is defeated, the General hasn't lost... that's how I see it. I know of his Italian Campaign and that was impressive. That is completely comparable to Hannibal's Alpine Campaign except for the fact that the base was further away. Now, to continue with my own method I previously described:

Marlborough fought in four battles, three of which he personally commanded. The rest were a barrage of sieges and most sieges can be won with superior numbers, patience and allies. The battles in which he fought were usually bloody. The Battle of Dalton Moor (I seriously don't remember the name but it was in Southern England) gave Marlborough command of a smaller cavalry group (if I remember correctly). He used these on the orders of the general to great effect managing to cut the enemy forces and win them by surprise. His manouvers in Flanders and Germany were magnificent and he excelled as a diplomat. He however won his battle at Malplaquet at a great cost. Ramillies and Blenheim were however better victories at not so great a cost.

Suvorov, on the other hand fought against the Turks, Poles and the French. His victories against the Turks made him a name and made him known for the Russians. His victories in France allowed a breather for the Confederacies. I can't however comment on his battles cause I haven't read much about them.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 19:35
I just thought I'd add my bit to the current discussion on Early Modern Generals. In regards to Marlborough, he did have some excellent strategic maneuvers, but overall I think Wellington was superior. The same applies for Suvorov -superior to Marlborough-, though of the three I mentioned, I know least about him so I may have to continue my research.

Thanks
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 19:52

If an army of a General is defeated, the General hasn't lost...

he has lost his army, thats what i call a loss.

that's how I see it. I know of his Italian Campaign and that was impressive. That is completely comparable to Hannibal's Alpine Campaign except for the fact that the base was further away.

likewise he achieved nothing. he reconquered northern Italy for Austria which Napoleon retook only one year later and failed to neutralize French influence in Switzerland.

Marlborough fought in four battles, three of which he personally commanded. The rest were a barrage of sieges and most sieges can be won with superior numbers, patience and allies. The battles in which he fought were usually bloody. The Battle of Dalton Moor (I seriously don't remember the name but it was in Southern England) gave Marlborough command of a smaller cavalry group (if I remember correctly). He used these on the orders of the general to great effect managing to cut the enemy forces and win them by surprise. His manouvers in Flanders and Germany were magnificent and he excelled as a diplomat. He however won his battle at Malplaquet at a great cost. Ramillies and Blenheim were however better victories at not so great a cost.

Marlborough didn't won Blindheim/Hchstdt, he has to share this one with Eugene. same goes for Schellenberg/Donauwrth and the "Trkenlouis", who BTW should also be on the list.

Suvorov, on the other hand fought against the Turks, Poles and the French. His victories against the Turks made him a name and made him known for the Russians. His victories in France allowed a breather for the Confederacies. I can't however comment on his battles cause I haven't read much about them.

Poles could not have won this war, they were attacked by Prussia and Russia at the same time. also Polish peasants defeated Russian regulars outside Warsaw, even though Suvorov wasn't in command personally, but i'm still holdign this against him. Tongue also he fought the Turks in union with the Austrians lead by Saxe-Coburg.

oh and a 4th point: Wellington was not better than Frederick.

Edited by Temujin - 18-Feb-2008 at 19:53
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 20:17
Hello to you all

I have several notes about the new list that I think should be taken:

1-I agree with Justinian that Suvorov is much too high on the list. He fough inferior armies even the armies of the early french revolution were not the best and I doubt that he would have succeeded against Napoleon's later armies.
2-Baibars is too low in my opinion. The guy won almost all the battles he was involved in, he fought all the major armies and was commanding armies since he was in his 20's. His victories over Saint Louis, the Mongols and the Armenians were decisive and he showed excellent leadership.
3- Timur is in my opinion much better than Temujin. Gengiz Khan was more an administrator than a commander and most of his victories can be attributed to excellent commander like Subodai and others. Timur on the other hand led armies by himself and conquered all the lands from Delhi to Ankara to Qazan with remarkable speed and excellent planning and with virtually the same troops.
4- Shivaji was an excellent choice and his addition is correct.
5- Nikphores is better than Basil II and achieved much more than him in a much shorter time, I suggest a switch between them or even replacing Basil with John Tzimisak.
6- I don't agree with dropping Alp Arslan, if the only victory that he achieved was Malazkirt it would be sufficient to put him in.
7- Why is Allenby is on the list anyway?

AL-Jassas 
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 20:54
To make things easier, here is the list based on era:

Ancient:
Rank Name Country
1 Alexander the Great Macedonia
4 Hannibal Barca Carthage
11 Scipio Africanus the Older Rome
12 Gaius Julius Caesar Rome
22 Gaius Marius Rome
23 Cyrus the Great Persia
27 Thutmose III Egypt
30 Philip II of Macedon Macedonia
31 Hn Xn China
41 Epaminondas Greece
43 Chandragupta Maurya India
44 Lucius Cornelius Sulla Rome
45 Hamilcar Barca Carthage
51 Tiglath-Pileser III Assyria
61 Aurelian (Lucius Domitius Aurelianus) Rome
82 Flavius Stilicho Rome
89 Shapur I Persia
91 Samudragupta India
92 Marcus Claudius Marcellus Rome
96 David Israel
98 Constantine I the Great Rome
99 Sun Tzu China
111 Pyrrhus of Epirus Greece
135 Lucius Septimius Severus Rome
138 Ban Chao China
145 Attila the Hun Hun 
148 Trajan Rome

Medieval:
3 Temujin (Genghis Khan) Mongols
8 Belisarios Byzantines
9 Timur Turks
15 Subotai Mongols
16 Heraclius Byzantines
19 Khalid ibn al-Walid Arabs
37 Trần Hưng Đạo Vietnam
48 Leo III the Isaurian Byzantines
50 Yue Fei China
57 Narses Byzantines
66 Alexius I Komnenos Byzantines
75 Simeon I the Great Bulgaria
76 Basil II Byzantines
78 Robert Guiscard Normandy
80 Emperor Taizong of Tang (Lĭ ShMn) China
81 Baibars Mamluke
85 Charlemagne France
90 Henry V England
97 Nikephoros II Phokas Byzantines
103 Alp Arslan Turks
108 Alexander Nevsky Russia
109 Edward III England
110 Mahmud of Ghazni Ghazni
117 Jebe Mongols
121 Yusuf ibn Tashfin Almoravid
122 Rajaraja Chola I Chola
128 William the Conqueror Normandy
136 Robert the Bruce Scotland
142 Richard I England
144 Saladin  Arabs
149 Frederick Barbarossa Germany

Gunpowder:

5 John Churchill (Duke of Marlborough) England
7 Jan ika Bohemia
10 Gustav II Adolf Sweden
13 Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne de Turenne France
14 Eugene of Savoy Austria
21 Raimondo Montecuccoli Austria
24 Maurice, comte de Saxe France
29 Selim I Ottomans
32 Maurice of Nassau Netherlands
33 Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Cond France
34 George Kastrioti (Skanderbeg) Albania
35 Nadir Shah Persia
36 Stefan cel Mare (Stephen III) Moldavia
38 Shivaji Bhosle Maratha
40 Gonzalo Fernndez de Crdoba (El Gran Capitn) Spain
47 Mehmed II Ottomans
49 Tokugawa Ieyasu Japan
52 Babur Mughal
54 Janos Hunyadi Hungary
55 Duke of Parma (Alessandro Farnese) Spain
58 Oda Nobunaga Japan
59 Stanisław Koniecpolski Poland
60 Louis Joseph de Bourbon, duc de Vendme France
62 Suleiman I Ottomans
63 Nurhaci Manchu
65 Francesco I Sforza Milan
67 Claude-Louis-Hector de Villars France
69 Charles XII Sweden
70 Toyotomi Hideyoshi Japan
71 Albrecht Wallenstein Austria
72 Jan III Sobieski Poland
74 Qi Jiguang China
83 Lautaro (toqui) Mapuche
87 Kangxi China
94 Johan t'Serclaes, Count of Tilly Austria
95 Franois Henri de Montmorency-Bouteville (Luxembourg) France
100 Sonni Ali Songhai
102 Andreas Prokop (Prokop the Great) Bohemia
104 Wolter von Plettenberg Livonian Order
105 Hernn Corts Spain
106 Bayinnaung Burma
107 Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar Mughal
115 Sebastien Le prestre de Vauban France
118 James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose England
119 Sher Shah Suri Afghan
125 Nikola Zrinski Croatia
126 James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick France
130 Naresuan Ayutthaya
134 Muhammad Shaybani Uzbek
137 Takeda Shingen Japan
141 Judar Pasha Morocco
143 Oliver Cromwell England

Imperial:

2 Napoleon Bonaparte France
6 Aleksandr Suvorov Russia
17 Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) England
18 Frederick II of Prussia Prussia
20 Louis Nicholas Davout France
25 Robert Clive England
39 Winfield Scott United States
42 Robert E. Lee Confederate
46 Helmuth Karl Bernhard von Moltke Prussia
56 Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson Confederate
77 Andr Massna France
84 Jean Lannes France
86 Ulysses Simpson Grant United States
88 Nguyen Hue Vietnam
93 Shaka Zulu Zulu
113 Nathanael Greene United States
114 Ahmad Shah Durrani Afghan
116 Archduke Charles of Austria Austria
120 Lus Alves de Lima e Silva Brazil
127 Joseph Radetzky von Radetz Austria
129 Pyotr Bagration Russia
131 Ernst Gideon Freiherr von Laudon Austria
133 Ibrahim Pasha Egypt
139 George Washington United States
146 William T. Sherman United States
147 Nathan B. Forrest Confederate

Modern:
26 Erich von Manstein Germany
28 Heinz Wilhelm Guderian Germany
53 Edmund Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby England
64 Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck Germany
68 Aleksandr Vasilevsky Russia
73 Georgy Zhukov Russia
79 Erwin Rommel Germany
101 Gotthard Heinrici Germany
112 Konstantin Rokossovsky Russia
123 George S. Patton United States
124 Gerd von Rundstedt Germany
132 Carl Gustav Mannerheim Finland
140 William Joseph Slim England
150 Mustafa Kemal Turkey

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 20:57
In the previous post, I went out to 150; after 100, the rankings are pretty random (I just bump them down as I add things higher.  But it does give an idea of some of the possibilities in each era.  Hopefully, my divisions at least make a vague sort of sense, and can help people compare apples with apples rather than with oranges (this means the Hannibal-Napoleon debate).

Have fun!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 21:32
Chinggis is better than Temr because Chinggis not only defeated his enemies but also was able to subdue them and use their forces for himself for further conquests. the failure of Temr, although he won more battles, was to integrate his enemies into his realm, which explains why non of his major enemies was really defeated as such. also Chinggis was up against greater odds than Temr.

in the modern list, i would actually replace Atatrks position with Mansteins. Atatrk had inferior forces and was in worser conditions and still won, unlike Manstein who lost every major battle (Stalingrad relief, Kursk, Kharkov). Atatrk is certainly top 5 modern.

BTW, I'm not really fan of the ancient ones, but a list without a single Assyrian is quite flawed....

Edited by Temujin - 18-Feb-2008 at 21:35
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 22:17
to me it seems useless doing a list, there will be always someone to whom the list is not goodWink
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 05:50
Hello Temujin. I'll warn you in advance that a debate is yet again on the horizon Smile I'll just add though that I am very busy at school currently, so may not reply immediately to any 'monster' posts. I hope that's okay.

Firstly - regarding Mr. Wellesley and Mr. Frederick. I don't see Frederick as being in the same league as Wellington to be honest.

Originally posted by Temujin

Chinggis is better than Temr because Chinggis not only defeated his enemies but also was able to subdue them and use their forces for himself for further conquests. the failure of Temr, although he won more battles, was to integrate his enemies into his realm, which explains why non of his major enemies was really defeated as such. also Chinggis was up against greater odds than Temr.

That is a very valid point, which I can accept.

BTW, I'm not really fan of the ancient ones, but a list without a single Assyrian is quite flawed....

You aren't a fan of the ancient generals, or you aren't a fan of how they have been ranked? If it's the former, then you shouldn't let the fact that you aren't interested in generals shroud their ability. If it's the latter, then I agree - Alexander shouldn't be first at all, Hannibal should. Wink Oh and, you may have missed Tiglath-Pilesar, an Assyrian.

Regards,

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 19-Feb-2008 at 05:56
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 05:57
90-100 Commanders
Here is a list of the bottom ten commanders from the previous list.  All those in bold are still ranked in the top 100.

90. Pyrrhus of Epirus
91. Archduke Charles of Austria
92. Alp Arslan
93. Jebe
94. Shaka Zulu
95. Edward III
96. Mahmud of Ghazni
97. Sonni Ali
98. Nathanael Greene
99. James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
100. Sher Shah Suri

The only one I strongly disagree with being dropped from the list is James Graham.  I thought I had his portfolio I made for him, but it must be on another computer.  However, I will post it.  Tactically speaking, he was an exceptional commander.  He lead a guerrilla-type style of campaign, however, when he caught the enemy by surprise, he would swiftly form into a set-piece battle and overpower the enemy.  His tactics were very similar to what the 'Economy of Force' is all about.  I will post more on him.

Sher Shah Suri
At first, I thought was a good candidate.  However, time has allowed me to re-evaluate his campaigns.  Though he conquered large portions of land to form his own empire, the one noted battle he cleverly deceived the enemy by reducing their troop morale (20,000 abandoned or switched sides) and had a 3 to 1 advantage against the enemy.  Despite the odds, the enemy was defiant and escalated the conflict into a full-fledge battle.  And despite the overwhelming superiority of troops, he was lucky to win the battle and still retained heavy losses.

Nathanael Greene
I love Nathanael Greene.  He is a fine example of how to lose every battle, but win the war.  However, I think he needed just one battle.  One fine battle, to be placed in the top 100.  No doubt, you will learn from him when you study him (which was a big ++, when I designed this list for myself), however, I just think he needed more.

Sonny Ali
He is still on the list and I believe he shouldn't.  We have two main sources, both with an agenda.  He conquered large parts of central Africa due to a dying kingdom, however, one of his sieges took 8 years to be successful.  Eight years, and this with his noted techniques of using navy boats in that campaign.
No.  I think we simply lack too much details about his accomplishments for him to be listed.

Mahmud of Ghazni
Conquering Constantinople should not be a guarantee ticket to be in the top 100.  I was excited to see others see my point in this matter.

Edward III
Another excellent choice of having him removed from the list.  Moreso him than probably any of the others, simply because he was more a king than a commander.  If this is the case, you may have to put Stalin or FDR, Churchill, just to name the leaders during the World War II, on this list.

Shaka Zulu
I still feel Shaka Zulu should be around the high 70s or low 80s-type commander.  He, like Genghis Khan, built his empire relatively from scratch.  He created the fighting mentality that was lacking in southern Africa with his battle techniques and his innovations in weapons.

Jebe
Disappointed to see him removed from this list.  Napoleon has underlings on this list, so should Genghis Khan.

Alp Arslan
Will do more research on him.

Archduke Charles of Austria
Jury still out on him, in my opinion.  It is more based on what 80-100 Commanders you have to see if he qualifies.  Though he got aced by Napoleon on several occasions, he gave Napoleon a black eye and his first real taste of defeat.  His innovations, though lacking, were a fresh start and look for the Austrian army.  Still...

Pyrrhus of Epirus
Though a great anicent commander, his achievements in battle have far been succeeded by probably more than 150-175 commanders.  Good decision on letting him off this list.

Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 06:08
I personally believe a great list starts from the bottom up.

085 121 090 Henry V
Questionable.  He could have been great.  Talking top 20-30, with just one more battle.  He needed something to besides his one great battle.  In the end, I will probably disagree on him being on the list.

Samudragupta
Will do some research on him.

Marcus Claudius Marcellus
Probably a good ranking (#92), high-mid 80s to low 90s.  About right.

Shaka Zulu
Again, he needs to be higher ranked.  Compared to Marcus Claudius Marcellus (my favorite thing to do is compare commanders in close proxmity), Shaka Zulu was more innovative, started with less, became something greater...  Name a thousand African tribes and you won't recognize any of them.  Say 'Zulu Warrior' and instant name recognition is there.

Johan t'Serclaes, Count of Tilly
Probably higher (low 80s, high 70s).

Franois Henri de Montmorency-Bouteville (Luxembourg)
Too many victories to be listed in the mid-90s.  Probably around the Count of Tilly.

David
You and I have discussed this before.  I admire King David.  But I also admire George Washington.  Neither, in my opinion, should be listed in the top 100 commanders.

Nikephoros II Phokas
Will do some research on this individual.  Name looks familar, so I think when I start reading, I will recognize him.

Constantine I the Great
Been over him.  Jury still out...

Sun Tzu
Great theorist.  Top 100 commanders?  Nope.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 08:39

he has lost his army, thats what i call a loss.

hmmm.....if one counts defeats of armies on the same side as the general where he is not present or in command or perhaps only battles where his nominal subordinates are in command as his fault (Sometime's it is but that shouldn't be an automatic assumption) then Napoleon's suddenly lost far more battles and Wellington is unquestionably superior. He defeated Napoleon's armies at Vimeiro, Salamanca and Vittoria, never mind the fact that Nappy wasn't present and couldn't have been expected to be, its still his fault, All hail WellingtonBig%20smile.

likewise he achieved nothing. he reconquered northern Italy for Austria which Napoleon retook only one year later and failed to neutralize French influence in Switzerland.

How long exactly did Napoleons conquest last after his abdication? If Suvorov's conquests in the war with France lasted a year after his recall then death, that's already longer then ol'boney's conquests outlived his abdication.

in the modern list, i would actually replace Atatrks position with Mansteins. Atatrk had inferior forces and was in worser conditions and still won, unlike Manstein who lost every major battle (Stalingrad relief, Kursk, Kharkov). Atatrk is certainly top 5 modern.

I won't comment on the majority of this, as this area of history is not my strongpoint but I'm pretty sure Manstein won at Kharkov.

Now for some general remarks: Jebe should not be taken off the list as his achievements are clearly superior to a number of individuals currently on the list such as Mehmed II who lost at Rhodes, had a ridiculous numerical advantage at Constantinople, lost at Belgrade and was defeated by Vlad the Impaler (he had plenty of victories also but the blots on his record dwarf Jebe's, the case is similar with Sulieman (eg. Vienna and Malta)). Iwould also like to continue my advocacy for Baibars.

I would comment more on the list but alas I don't have the time at present
Regards, Praetor.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 12:34
Travis, do you have your latest top 100 anywhere?  You've made several references to updates you have made to your list.  It might be informative if you post it for comparison's sake.

Here is 100 through 150, in no particular order--but look and see if any of these look like they need to be upgraded to the top 100.

101 Gotthard Heinrici
    102 Andreas Prokop (Prokop the Great)
  92 103 Alp Arslan
  88 104 Wolter von Plettenberg
96 128 105 Hernn Corts
    106 Bayinnaung
    107 Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar
    108 Alexander Nevsky
  95 109 Edward III
  96 110 Mahmud of Ghazni
  90 111 Pyrrhus of Epirus
39 63 112 Konstantin Rokossovsky
91 98 113 Nathanael Greene
    114 Ahmad Shah Durrani
29 84 115 Sebastien Le prestre de Vauban
76 91 116 Archduke Charles of Austria
79 93 117 Jebe
90 99 118 James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
  100 119 Sher Shah Suri
    120 Lus Alves de Lima e Silva
  101 121 Yusuf ibn Tashfin
  102 122 Rajaraja Chola I
61 103 123 George S. Patton
  82 124 Gerd von Rundstedt
    125 Nikola Zrinski
  104 126 James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick
  105 127 Joseph Radetzky von Radetz
87 106 128 William the Conqueror
80 107 129 Pyotr Bagration
    130 Naresuan
  108 131 Ernst Gideon Freiherr von Laudon
  109 132 Carl Gustav Mannerheim
  110 133 Ibrahim Pasha
    134 Muhammad Shaybani
72 111 135 Lucius Septimius Severus
94 113 136 Robert the Bruce
38 114 137 Takeda Shingen
  115 138 Ban Chao
88 116 139 George Washington
41 117 140 William Joseph Slim
    141 Judar Pasha
89 118 142 Richard I
55 119 143 Oliver Cromwell
95 120 144 Saladin 
98 122 145 Attila the Hun
83 123 146 William T. Sherman
86 124 147 Nathan B. Forrest
84 125 148 Trajan
  126 149 Frederick Barbarossa
  136 150 Mustafa Kemal

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by Knights

Firstly - regarding Mr. Wellesley and Mr. Frederick. I don't see Frederick as being in the same league as Wellington to be honest.

i completely disagree of course. Wellington had all the ressoruces of Britain, Portugal and Spain on his side (they were all hostile to France) and needed ~4 years to enter Madrid and another 2 years to enter France herself while he was up against the secodn rankers, most elite troops always being with Nappy himself. Freederick II was up against France, Austria, Russia, Sweden and most German psrincipalities but his only ally was Great Britian and those principalities closely associated to both. even though he eventually ensured his achievments by luck, he created a fifth european great power, Wellington did nothign of the like.

You aren't a fan of the ancient generals, or you aren't a fan of how they have been ranked? If it's the former, then you shouldn't let the fact that you aren't interested in generals shroud their ability. If it's the latter, then I agree - Alexander shouldn't be first at all, Hannibal should. Wink Oh and, you may have missed Tiglath-Pilesar, an Assyrian.

Regards,

- Knights -

its not that i'm not interested in them, its just that generally, we have only few and biased sources on most generals. all gaps in knowledge have by now been filled with assumptions overglorifying their deeds and the rest is just exaggeration of their own exploits. therefore i hardly include any pre-medieval generals in my lists.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by Travis Congleton

Mahmud of Ghazni
Conquering Constantinople should not be a guarantee ticket to be in the top 100.  I was excited to see others see my point in this matter.

Mahmud of Ghazni was nowhere near Constantiopel ever. i think you confused him with Mehmed II. i started to grow fond on him lately, he took most of Iran and northern india from his base in afghanistan. wiki has a ncie listing of his achievments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmud_of_Ghazni#Campaign_timeline

in regards to Ottoman emperors, i'm still undescided which of them was the greatest, must be either Selim I Yavuz or Sleyman I Kanuni.

Shaka Zulu
I still feel Shaka Zulu should be around the high 70s or low 80s-type commander.  He, like Genghis Khan, built his empire relatively from scratch.  He created the fighting mentality that was lacking in southern Africa with his battle techniques and his innovations in weapons.

don't think he should be on the list, just because the Zulus gave the British a good beating, nothign special. if we want to have a good African commander, then we should look at the Boers.

Jebe
Disappointed to see him removed from this list.  Napoleon has underlings on this list, so should Genghis Khan.

mixed fellings on this one. i don't say he was bad, but what other than Khalka did he won? there are certainly more Mongol commander that would be worth checkign out (Bayan, Chormaqan)

Archduke Charles of Austria
Jury still out on him, in my opinion.  It is more based on what 80-100 Commanders you have to see if he qualifies.  Though he got aced by Napoleon on several occasions, he gave Napoleon a black eye and his first real taste of defeat.  His innovations, though lacking, were a fresh start and look for the Austrian army.  Still...

don't miss him at all, glad he got removed. personally i feel Radetzky had more impact on Austrian militaria in the long run. who is really lacking is Marquis Louis William of Baden (Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm von Baden), popularly known as Trkenlouis. reputedly fought 60 battles and never lost one.

Pyrrhus of Epirus
Though a great anicent commander, his achievements in battle have far been succeeded by probably more than 150-175 commanders.  Good decision on letting him off this list.

actually i'm a bit dissapointed he got removed. i would have ranked him somewhere around Hannibal....wherever that would be
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 17:06
Originally posted by Praetor

hmmm.....if one counts defeats of armies on the same side as the general where he is not present or in command or perhaps only battles where his nominal subordinates are in command as his fault (Sometime's it is but that shouldn't be an automatic assumption) then Napoleon's suddenly lost far more battles and Wellington is unquestionably superior. He defeated Napoleon's armies at Vimeiro, Salamanca and Vittoria, never mind the fact that Nappy wasn't present and couldn't have been expected to be, its still his fault, All hail WellingtonBig%20smile.

completely can't follow your logic here. wherever the British fought in the Nap Wars, they lost, notable exceptions are British under wellingtons command and assaults on isolated French posessions outside Europe. this is actually the only reason why i think Wellington is a good commander at all. and it really wasn't supposed to be udnerstood like that, the Russians also had an Army in the netherlands at the same time which got beaten, but i'm not holdign this against him since it was not Suvorovs army.

How long exactly did Napoleons conquest last after his abdication? If Suvorov's conquests in the war with France lasted a year after his recall then death, that's already longer then ol'boney's conquests outlived his abdication.

Suvorov did not abdicate.

I won't comment on the majority of this, as this area of history is not my strongpoint but I'm pretty sure Manstein won at Kharkov.

Manstein was able to temporarily retook Kharkov, so what? eventually it became Red again.

Iwould also like to continue my advocacy for Baibars.

what exactly is great about Baibars? i know a whole bunch of Islamic rulers who did a lot better than him.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 17:20
Hello Temujin

Well he defeated King Louis IX in the 7th crusade using an innovative strategy by trapping them and then drowning his forces. He defeated the mongols three times and the last time they outnumbered him and had allies. He crushed the guerillas in mount Lebanon using innovative tactics and for the first time decisively defeated the Kushites. The guy turned the mamelukes into an excellent fighting force disciplined and ready to fight an die for the state and most of his victories came when he was quite young.

I agree, I can think of at least 5 names that were far better than him but because there is little information about them in english I can't recomend them.

AL-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 128>