Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 128>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 09:16
Originally posted by Challenger2

As far as British generals go I would not rate Cromwell very highly. His only real claim to lasting military fame was the creation of the New Model Army, the first truly full time professional army in Britain since the Romans. His victories were against second rate opposition in a local conflict; the Civil War which although it had deep significance in the British Isles, did not have any significant effect on the outside world at the time. I can point to no sparks of strategic brilliance in order to  justify his inclusion on this list. If he remains, for whatever reason, I feel he should be somewhere in the bottom 50 at best.

Good to see unbiased opinion about Cromwell Smile
DSMyers1, as you can see I am not alone who don't value Cromwell too much.

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 10:33

Thanks for that. At least its not just me! Big%20smile

To get national biases out of the way as objectively as possible then, as far as British commanders are concerned, I would wholeheartedly agree with John Churchill, the Duke of Marlborough as probably the best  general weve ever had. On the international level, I believe he should easily be in the top 10, if not the top 5. He had to lead a fragile coalition against the most feared and powerful army of the age. He was hindered at almost every turn by frightened rulers and politicians, yet managed to pull off a massive coup in almost complete secrecy by conducting a strategic redeployment from Holland to the Danube and destroyed the Franco-Bavarian armies led in part by a general considered the best military mind of his age, the Elector of Bavaria. He won all his battles [this seems to be an important consideration] and saved Europe from French hegemony for almost a century. He was much admired by Napoleon and his enemies even wrote a popular song about him!

After him Id place Wellington, who is much underrated and usually  dismissed as fighting in a secondary theatre against mediocre opposition. In fact he managed to direct and maintain a fragile coalition, despite deep hostility between the Spanish and British and opposition at home. He forged the army created my Sir John Moore into arguably the best army of the Napoleonic wars. He also won all his battles against the best commanders Napoleon could send against him. Strategically, he never let a transient opportunity get in the way of his strategic goals and his attention to detail, and pioneering tactics led to the ultimate victory in 1814, and again created the circumstances that defeated Napoleon himself in 1815. The Spanish ulcer tied up huge numbers of experienced French troops that could have been better employed elsewhere, and forced Napoleon to fight a war on two fronts. Spanish guerrillas on their own could not have achieved this. On the international stage, given his impact in India and Spain and his massive lasting influence on the British army up to the Victorian age, Id rate him in the top 10.

As far as British generals go I would not rate Cromwell very highly. His only real claim to lasting military fame was the creation of the New Model Army, the first truly full time professional army in Britain since the Romans. His victories were against second rate opposition in a local conflict; the Civil War which although it had deep significance in the British Isles, did not have any significant effect on the outside world at the time. I can point to no sparks of strategic brilliance in order to  justify his inclusion on this list. If he remains, for whatever reason, I feel he should be somewhere in the bottom 50 at best.

What is Henry V doing on this list at all? He wandered around France, was outmanoeuvred and cornered and managed to pull off one major victory in his life! It is possible had he lived longer

He might have shown some potential, but  from what we have to go on I dont think he merits inclusion on this list. Above him Id place Edward I or Edward III as military commanders, Edward I for creating the first united Kingdom in the British isles, and Edward III for his exploits in the Hundred Years War. Of the two, Edward III possibly merits inclusion somewhere on this list in place of Henry V.

Ill have to look up Bill Slim, but I cant think of any other British commander that had an impact on the world stage and of sufficient ability to merit inclusion on this list.

Thank you very much for a clear and reasoned discussion of your nation's generals.  I will definitely take it into account in my next revision.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:02
You'll put John Churchill as the fourth? Place he deserves... Good, thanks. I'll not shoot you this time.

Btw, I'd kill Cromwell from that list immediately. I didn't even know he was on it...

I'll try to reply to you thoroughly later... although I am not promising anything except remarks on who must be in and who not.

Btw, in your next version, it better be 'Gaius'... It's the most used form I've seen.
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:07

Okay, now to be controversial. Smile

In the top ten positions I have no objection to 4 of the incumbents, although I'd be inclined to argue relative positions if I had to. Alexander, Napoleon, Temujin, and Marlborough are such historic military giants it would be difficult to argue against them. 

Of the others I'd certainly downgrade Caesar. Almost all we know about Caesar was written by Caesar, or by Roman historians during the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius, all of whom would hardly dare write anything bad about him. I have a problem just going by a person's memoirs, especially a renowned self-publicist like Caesar. He could in no way be described as a military genius as he was often outmanoeuvred, caught by surprise, etc. His victories, I submit, were due more to the formidable Roman military machine of the late republic, than any significant input from him. In his Gallic campaigns he basically turned up, got attacked by the Gauls and let his legions crush them. When the Gauls reverted to guerrilla style warfare, however he was almost powerless. Pompey out-generalled him in the civil war, but was coerced into an unnecessary battle which Caesar won. For me Caesar is hype over substance as a general, not worthy of his top 10 position, more suited to mid table.

Hannibal is also too high up, although his Cannae manoeuvre and his crossing the Alps are up there with the best, at the end of the day he failed. The Romans first contained him [Fabius], then marginalized him [Scipio in Spain] and finally removed him by the simple expedient of invading Africa, where they finally defeated him for good. He spent years in Italy as more of an irritant than a conqueror or empire builder. He survives today because the Romans made a bogyman out of him. Certainly does not merit his position on the list. Cannae alone however, should keep him in the top 20.

Frederick inherited a formidable army and squandered it. In the process he acquired a formidable reputation, which helped establish Prussia as a major player on the European stage. Had the Russian Czarina not died when she did, he would have been a nobody and Prussia would have been dismembered by Russia and Austria. Leuthen and Rossbach shine as beacons in an otherwise lack-lustre performance. His main contribution to military history is that he compiled his ideas on tactics and strategy into a formal operational system that was slavishly copied by the rest of Europe [except France Wink]. His survival against tremendous odds deserves respect, so perhaps he should just scrape through into the top ten.

Im a huge fan of Belisarius, but if I were being objective, Id have to rate Heraclius higher, if only for the fact that his achievements established a firm future for the Byzantine Empire until 1071, whereas those of Belisarius, through no fault of his own, were more transient. Heraclius should not be penalised for the rise and effects of Islam.

This leaves Turenne and Gustavus Adolphus. I admit a general ignorance of the 30 Years War, as it's never been a period I've found militarily interesting. Gustavus as far as I know was an innovator in an otherwise stale period, inventing battalion guns, shortening and lightening muskets to enable volley fire, restoring the cavalry charge into Western European tactics. He grasped the importance of combined arms operations and I believe he was generally successful. Whether this is enough to guarantee him a top ten spot, I don't know, but he certainly qualifies for the top 20.

Turenne I know next to nothing about so cant comment without further research.

Okay, I'm ready for the stake and firewood  now.  LOL

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:34

Thanks for that. At least its not just me! Big%20smile

To get national biases out of the way as objectively as possible then, as far as British commanders are concerned, I would wholeheartedly agree with John Churchill, the Duke of Marlborough as probably the best  general weve ever had. On the international level, I believe he should easily be in the top 10, if not the top 5. He had to lead a fragile coalition against the most feared and powerful army of the age. He was hindered at almost every turn by frightened rulers and politicians, yet managed to pull off a massive coup in almost complete secrecy by conducting a strategic redeployment from Holland to the Danube and destroyed the Franco-Bavarian armies led in part by a general considered the best military mind of his age, the Elector of Bavaria. He won all his battles [this seems to be an important consideration] and saved Europe from French hegemony for almost a century. He was much admired by Napoleon and his enemies even wrote a popular song about him!

i agree about marlborough beign the best English/British commander ever. top 10 is acceptable but top 5 is too much.

After him Id place Wellington, who is much underrated and usually  dismissed as fighting in a secondary theatre against mediocre opposition. In fact he managed to direct and maintain a fragile coalition, despite deep hostility between the Spanish and British and opposition at home. He forged the army created my Sir John Moore into arguably the best army of the Napoleonic wars. He also won all his battles against the best commanders Napoleon could send against him. Strategically, he never let a transient opportunity get in the way of his strategic goals and his attention to detail, and pioneering tactics led to the ultimate victory in 1814, and again created the circumstances that defeated Napoleon himself in 1815. The Spanish ulcer tied up huge numbers of experienced French troops that could have been better employed elsewhere, and forced Napoleon to fight a war on two fronts. Spanish guerrillas on their own could not have achieved this. On the international stage, given his impact in India and Spain and his massive lasting influence on the British army up to the Victorian age, Id rate him in the top 10.

i agree Wellington was probably only second to Napoleon, but the British Army as such was considderable weaker than the Russian and post-1808 Prussians for example or the 1809 Austrians. also, the commanders he faced, other than Massena and Napoleon himself were no the best commanders that France could field (namely Soult and Marmont). and finally, the Spanish thater didn't brougth down napoleon, the combined armies of prussia, austria and Russia numbering well over 400,000 soldiers in total did.

Ill have to look up Bill Slim, but I cant think of any other British commander that had an impact on the world stage and of sufficient ability to merit inclusion on this list.

forget about Slim, the best british general of the 20th century was Sir Edmund Allenby, by far. look at the battle of Megiddo, it was the invention of Blitzkrieg including the utilization of ground attack planes to defeat a retreating enemy.
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by Temujin

i agree Wellington was probably only second to Napoleon, but the British Army as such was considderable weaker than the Russian and post-1808 Prussians for example or the 1809 Austrians. also, the commanders he faced, other than Massena and Napoleon himself were no the best commanders that France could field (namely Soult and Marmont). and finally, the Spanish thater didn't brougth down napoleon, the combined armies of prussia, austria and Russia numbering well over 400,000 soldiers in total did.

forget about Slim, the best british general of the 20th century was Sir Edmund Allenby, by far. look at the battle of Megiddo, it was the invention of Blitzkrieg including the utilization of ground attack planes to defeat a retreating enemy.

Are we going to start debating the Napoleonic wars again? Smile
I didn't actually say Spain brought down Napoleon. What I said was that Spain diverted much needed resources and that contributed to his downfall. Nor did I say"the best commanders France could field", I said "the best commanders Napoleon could send against him". I think Davout, for example, would have given Wellington a much harder time in the Peninsula, but he was too indispensable to Napoleon in Europe.

"Bull" Allenby was a lucky man. He had an independent  command in wide open spaces.  Any Western Front General would have done well in those circumstances. My preference for WW1 generals is Herbert Plumer.  
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 16:35
i try to comment on the commanders of "my" country:

5. Frederick II. the great

position might be too high, but top 10 is right i think. arguably he was only saved by luck but also he was clearly better than any other nation at the time except Russia and could hold on against most of Europe for quite some time, always winning his battles being outnumbered. even though prussia is not my country...

16. Eugene of Savoy

he was at leat equal in skill than his contemporary John Churchill, but then the top 10 would get pretty crowded. afterall maybe Malborough wasn't that great... at least Eugene fought the ottomans as well and won, a diverse army and still quite powerfull enemy at that time. i would rate him just above marlborough but don't know where exactly in the list.

Raimondo Montecuccoli

don't know much about him, maybe a little too high but out of the 30 years wars imperialists probably the best.

20. Helmuth von Moltke

don't know, maybe a bit lower. should compete against Gourko and/or Skobelev.

26. Erich von Manstein

i have a seriously negative opinion on him so beware. first, he failed to relieve Stalingrad, next, he lost Kursk. end of story. also, he never challenged descisions made by Hitler. pros? siege of Sevastopol, influential in revising the Schlieffen plan and giving more weight to armoured speahead thrust. replace with von Rundstedt.

28. Guderian

at least he should be higher than  Manstein...afterall he DID openly critizise Hitlers strategic descisions and he did command tanks, unlike Manstein. won the (probably) biggest tank battle in history (gembloux, 1940)

37. Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck

Ok, he was probably only second to Allenby in ww1 but it should not be forgotten that he fought a secondary theater and most of his and his enemies soldiers were colonial troops.

41. Albrecht Wallenstein

see entry on Montecuccoli. should maybe replaced with the "Trkenlouis", Louis of Baden (Ottoman wars, seven years war)

66. Erwin Rommel

mmmh, difficult to say. obviously he had most glory in Northafrica, and unlike Lettow-Vorbeck he fought with regulars against other regulars. but its difficult to rate him overall.

72. Charlemagne

just want to challenge his country, he was just as much French as he was German. it would be better to write Frankish kingdom/Empire.

78. Tilly

he was not an Austrian commander, he was commander of the Catholic League, which was lead by Bavaria.

85. Archduke Charles

he was not that significant in my opinion, i would be happier with Radetzky.

i also want to propose from ww2 general Heinrici, broke through the Maginot Line and was defender of the Seelwer Heights and Berlin. also very highly decorated. also he refused Hitlers order of scorchet earth policy when withdrawing from Russia.

Edited by Temujin - 09-Aug-2007 at 16:42
jebusrocks View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jebusrocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 22:07
Uh, no Yi Sun Shin?? That's not right,
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 23:08

Gustavus as far as I know was an innovator in an otherwise stale period, inventing battalion guns, shortening and lightening muskets to enable volley fire, restoring the cavalry charge into Western European tactics. He grasped the importance of combined arms operations and I believe he was generally successful. Whether this is enough to guarantee him a top ten spot, I don't know, but he certainly qualifies for the top 20.

Challenger2, there was already a long discussion about Gustavus' military skill in this thread. IMHO his achievements are greatly overestimated.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 23:14
Originally posted by jebusrocks

Uh, no Yi Sun Shin?? That's not right,
This is a list of [land] generals rather than admirals.
jebusrocks View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jebusrocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 00:12
Oh, thx for clearing that up

May I suggest Yeon Gae Seo Moon and Gwon Yul?? They weren't necessarily great to be in the top 50 or so, but definitely in teh top 100 imho
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 03:20
Oh god... I wanted to only say a few words... and now have to stand up to posts by Challenger and Temujin... here we go:

Of the others I'd certainly downgrade Caesar. Almost all we know about Caesar was written by Caesar, or by Roman historians during the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius, all of whom would hardly dare write anything bad about him. I have a problem just going by a person's memoirs, especially a renowned self-publicist like Caesar. He could in no way be described as a military genius as he was often outmanoeuvred, caught by surprise, etc. His victories, I submit, were due more to the formidable Roman military machine of the late republic, than any significant input from him. In his Gallic campaigns he basically turned up, got attacked by the Gauls and let his legions crush them. When the Gauls reverted to guerrilla style warfare, however he was almost powerless. Pompey out-generalled him in the civil war, but was coerced into an unnecessary battle which Caesar won. For me Caesar is hype over substance as a general, not worthy of his top 10 position, more suited to mid table.

I agree, Gaius deserves a boot. Though Alesia was a formidable siege/battle, the rest of his military conquests aren't nearly as good. Though I like the supposed conquests of England and him crossing the Rhone (I believe it was the Rhone) where he built a bridge or something.

Hannibal is also too high up, although his Cannae manoeuvre and his crossing the Alps are up there with the best, at the end of the day he failed. The Romans first contained him [Fabius], then marginalized him [Scipio in Spain] and finally removed him by the simple expedient of invading Africa, where they finally defeated him for good. He spent years in Italy as more of an irritant than a conqueror or empire builder. He survives today because the Romans made a bogyman out of him. Certainly does not merit his position on the list. Cannae alone however, should keep him in the top 20.

I am wondering why Knights hasn't killed you yet... But I totally disagree... Hannibal should be in the Top 5 I believe... I am not going to discuss his victories with you though. I am sure Knights and Praetor will do it.

Frederick inherited a formidable army and squandered it. In the process he acquired a formidable reputation, which helped establish Prussia as a major player on the European stage. Had the Russian Czarina not died when she did, he would have been a nobody and Prussia would have been dismembered by Russia and Austria. Leuthen and Rossbach shine as beacons in an otherwise lack-lustre performance. His main contribution to military history is that he compiled his ideas on tactics and strategy into a formal operational system that was slavishly copied by the rest of Europe [except France Wink]. His survival against tremendous odds deserves respect, so perhaps he should just scrape through into the top ten.

I don't deny the achievements Frederick did in tactics but most of his battles were... Pyrrhic victories in my sense; though he could afford them.. He seldom lost less men than his adversaries.

Im a huge fan of Belisarius, but if I were being objective, Id have to rate Heraclius higher, if only for the fact that his achievements established a firm future for the Byzantine Empire until 1071, whereas those of Belisarius, through no fault of his own, were more transient. Heraclius should not be penalised for the rise and effects of Islam.

The conquests of the Vandals and Italy are well known by Belisarius. I am confident that he might have achieved much much more if he were given the time by the Emperor. Although I am no person to argue on Heraclius - wasn't he the person who begun the themaic system? And if not him then at least his predecessor on the throne?

This leaves Turenne and Gustavus Adolphus. I admit a general ignorance of the 30 Years War, as it's never been a period I've found militarily interesting. Gustavus as far as I know was an innovator in an otherwise stale period, inventing battalion guns, shortening and lightening muskets to enable volley fire, restoring the cavalry charge into Western European tactics. He grasped the importance of combined arms operations and I believe he was generally successful. Whether this is enough to guarantee him a top ten spot, I don't know, but he certainly qualifies for the top 20.

I'd say that Gustav Adolf should be in the Top 10. Not higher than ten though. He faced (sometimes) good adversaries and yet managed to mostly be undefeated (here's the Polish commanderDead). Yet, he could only be in a higher place if he had survived Ltzen... I don't see that a commander who has himself killed is a good one...Confused

Btw, someone somewhere here said that the Elector of Bavaria was a military genius of his times... I've always read he was a madman who failed defending his homelands with well developed fortifications. Plus, he never seemed as a person the French wanted commanding along with themselves...

he was at leat equal in skill than his contemporary John Churchill, but then the top 10 would get pretty crowded. afterall maybe Malborough wasn't that great... at least Eugene fought the ottomans as well and won, a diverse army and still quite powerfull enemy at that time. i would rate him just above marlborough but don't know where exactly in the list.

Mildly... no! He was never equal to Chruchill. His only important theaters were those of the Ottoman Empire. In the Spanish Succession, he never was able to make great effect of the plans he had been set to.

Ok, he was probably only second to Allenby in ww1 but it should not be forgotten that he fought a secondary theater and most of his and his enemies soldiers were colonial troops.

Okay... von Lettow-Vorbeck was clearly the finest general the German Empire had. Never mind that he fought in Africa; he managed to divert a large group of enemy soldiers from other places plus he became the war hero after the war. He was simply brilliant when we move to talk about tactics fighting one on one's own land. Lettow-Vorbeck should be second to none. And as you mentioned, his forces weren't of the best quality.

Also, perhaps a way of electing the top 10 would be selecting ten of the most grandier countries/territories of all time and then comparing their best generals. This would give us ten commanders from different times and places... and remain the same though the list could be more objective in some sense. The proposed countries could be Roman Empire (plus the Eastern Empire); France; England; China; Japan; Persia (and Iran and all the things before and after, also the Arab states); Germany (plus Prussia and Austria); Russia (plus the USSR, the Empire and the Kievan principalities); Northern Africa; Greece (plus Macedon).

This would give me:
Roman Empire (plus the Eastern Empire); Belisarius
France; Napoleon
England; Marlborough
China; ---
Japan; ---
Persia (and Iran and all the things before and after, also the Arab states); ---
Germany (plus Prussia and Austria); Friedrich II of Prussia
Russia (plus the USSR, the Empire and the Kievan principalities); A. Suvorov
Northern Africa; Hannibal
Greece (plus Macedon) Alexander III of Macedon

I have no idea for some of these cases so quickly but this would be the approximate how it would turn out..

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 04:43

Hello to you all.

I have followed this list from the very beginning and I think that it needs some adjustment, some additions and subtractions.

First I will talk about Generals from where I came from that is Arab and muslim generals. I think placing Khalid ibn Al-Walid at the No. 29 is great injustice to him, he deserves a place in the top 10 and in view he is the best of pre-16th century generals and definitely he should outrank Heraclius at least. Remember, Heraclius was in Syria during most of Khalids campaigns and rather than lead his armies into battle he chose to send his lieutenants instead. Those same lieutenants are the ones that won the war on Persia 9 years before. As for the claim that the Byzantines were exhausted from fighting I think that this is not true, let us not forget that it took Heraclius only 5 years to rebuild the Byzantine army almost from scratch in order to fight the Persians, I think that 9 years of peace and two years of light fighting between Arabs and Byzantines were enough not only to alert them of the danger coming from the desert make them prepare for a fight which they did since they had almost 200 000 men under arms without mentioning their allies of Christian Arabs during the entire campaign which lasted 6 years as the Arab historians as oppose to only 50 000 men. Also, in addition to Khalid military genius he was a charismatic leader who rallied his troops to victory, managed to organize the irregular and unruly Arab soldiers into an organized fighting force and most importantly he adapted to the variable of the battlefield in a way like no other general that I know of. For example in the battle of Yarmouk, he know that the irregular Arab force will not stand a chance against the regular Byzantine force that also outnumbered him, so only two days before the battle he ordered the army to be grouped in phalanx formations (36 units each consisting of 1000 men) and drilled them on the new formation until the battle started and his tactic not only worked perfectly in this battle, but it also became the model for all other commanders that followed him.

Also I think that Genghis khan is overrated. Most battles that he fought according to Arab and Persian historians he outnumbered his enemies. Also his victory against the Khawarizmids was more out of the disunion of his enemies than his own designs. His sweep into Persia was not unexpected since most vassals of the Khawarizmid pled allegiance to him immediately after his victory against them. Timur on the other hand deserves the place of Genghis khan on this list. He conquered all the lands from Central Asia to the borders of Egypt (which he defeated unlike other Mongols who lost at the gates of Egypt) and it was definitely not a peace of cake. Many time he found him self outnumbered and outgunned (battle of Ankara for instance) yet he defeated everybody that stood in his way and if he had time I wont be surprised if he conquered China as it was said his intention to do. Babur should be places hiher for what he has done in the battle of Panipat when he was outnumbered almost 10 to 1.

As for Saladin, though he was a good commander, many Arab and Islamic commander that are not on the list are far better than him and here is a name, Yusuf ibn Tashfin. He was outnumbered 2 to1 in the battle of az-Zallaqah against Alfonso IV and yet he made the worst rout in military history, from the 60 000 that came with Alfonso, only 500 men survived including him while Tashfin lost almost a third of his army (roughly 10 000 men) hence the name az-Zallaqah  which means the slippery land since horses slipped and fell to the ground from the blood the soaked the stony surface of the battle. He would have annihilated the Spaniards it wasnt for the infighting and the revolt by the taifa kings against just months after the battle.

As for other generals I think that Scipio Africanus definitely deserves a higher place than he was given in the list either just above or just below Hannibal and for obvious reasons, he defeated him in battle and never lost one battle in his life.

Von Moltke is in my opinion overrated and needs to be downgraded. Certainly his performance in the 7 weeks war with Austria and in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71 was great, but let us not forget, he fought against two enemies were in a pathetic state. The French barely controlled Algeria where the rebels fought with sword and bows against the French war machine; also he faced one the worst commanders in history, Mac-Mahon who couldnt even conduct a decent military stratigy despite having an advantage on von Moltke in Sedan. Also he failed miserably against the force of Ibrahim Pasha (who deserves a place in the list) in the battle of Nissibin (Nizib) and he almost led to the destruction of the Ottoman Empire.

Marius deserves to be elevated on the list. Not only he established the Roman as we know it, but also he was an excellent military theorist and strategist and he deserves credit for Saving Rome from a certain invasion after the disaster at Arausio.

Finally, I would like you to consider General Rawlinson. His plan of attack that resulted in the victory in the battle of Amiens was considered by Ludendroff to be the coup de grace that ended the war which makes him deserve a spot on the list.

Thank you

Al- Jassas ibn Murrah

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 05:23
Nice.. Your post above makes me think...

DSMyers... perhaps we should also make a list of the Worst 100 Generals... I believe that would be a discussion even longer than this... and most of us could get a good laugh. What do you think? It would certainly be a discussion worthy of looking into...
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 07:58
I appreciate the way everyone is providing productive information about their nation's/area's generals.  This will be helpful in making the next list.

One thing I do note--when someone is discussing a top 10 general, they are always requesting that they move down.  This is the same thing I have run into before--nearly all of the great generals have at least one caveat on them.  For instance, Napoleon lost, Alexander was set up by his father, Ghengis fought lesser nations, Hannibal lost...But were I to move others up, their cons would be even greater, for the most part.

Okay, we have so far lists of English generals and Arab generals and German generals.

I'll go for the Americans--a difficult discussion indeed.

#39 Winfield Scott

Winfield Scott was an excellent commander in the war of 1812, one of the few successful ones for the Americans.  His masterpiece was the conquest of Mexico City, which was not the cakewalk that most suppose it to be.  Finally, his Anaconda Plan was the only logical and appropriate plan for the conquest of the Confederacy--he was realistic when others presumed such an effort to be unnecessary.

Due to his variety of successes and solid success, both tactical and strategic, I feel this fairly high ranking is warranted.

#51 Robert E. Lee

(I'll do the Confederates also)

Robert E. Lee was probably the most brilliant strategic general between the Napoleonic Wars and the 20th century.  He well grasped the power of defense and knew how to exploit an opponent's weaknesses.  The only reason he is not ranked higher is his tactical blunders at Gettysburg--however, the blame for that situation falls more on a few of his lieutenants, particularly JEB Stuart.  His skill managed to maintain a unequal struggle much longer than a lesser general would have.

I consider this ranking somewhat low for one of the greatest generals of the 19th century, post-Napoleon.

#68 George S. Patton

A skilled battlefield commander of WWII, a time in which America did not require many open-battlefield commanders.  Honestly, I am not sure why I have him on the list other than his notoriety.  Did the US have any really great generals in WWII?

I think I'll take him off and leave room for another general--would someone care to make a case for him to stay?

#73 Ulysses S. Grant

A general who knew what the situation took and was willing to do it.  Honestly, not a great general in the typical sense of the word, but formed a solid plan and executed it.  A great general could have won the war without the clumsy frontal attacks he resorted to, I think.  Nevertheless, he did defeat a better general.  Should he really be on the list?  The fact that he won is the only reason he's on here--had he lost, he would be considered an atrocious general.  Now, his wars in the west looked a lot better than his battles with Lee--so I'd say he was worse than Lee, but better than anybody in the western theater.

Does someone want to defend Grant?

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

Probably the most brilliant tactician in between Napoleon and....somebody a long time later.  Grasped the moral side of warfare better than almost anyone.  In his 2 years as a general, he made a huge difference--his Shenandoah Valley campaign was one of the great campaigns in history.  Chancellorsville was his masterpiece, one of the great gambles that paid off--because he knew the enemy.  Had he lived, the Army of the Potomac would not have survived the battle.  Had he lived, the war could well have turned out differently.

Why is he so low?  A general whose skill could have decided a war merits much higher placement.  His only problem is his short career.  Should be moved up.  Way up.

#91 William T. Sherman

Famous for being one of the first to take the war to civilians deliberately.  A solid battlefield general.

I might just bump him off.

#99 Nathanael Greene

A brilliant strategist of the Revolutionary War.  He was responsible for winning the war in the south against long odds.  His recognition of the strategic situation was exceptional.

He could move up.

Other American generals of note:

George Washington--well, he won...
Douglas MacArthur--Solid move at Inchon, at least.

You know, I think the US has risen to world power without many good generals, just a whole set of decent ones.  Their rise is a socioeconomic one, rather than a military one...

Does anybody wish to comment on the US generals?

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 08:19

Okay, I'm ready for the stake and firewood  now.  LOL

Let the Bonfire beginEvil%20Smile

Have you actually  read the "Gallic Wars"? it is clear from this book that many of his victories were partially or mostly because of the skill of the Roman legions, Caesar does not attempt to hide this, and usually gives his men credit where it is due. Please note though that I do agree that Caesar painted a very favourable picture of himself too, in his commentaries. He was also a very aggressive general who often conducted lightning campaigns to catch the enemy off guard, then attack them immediately. Though, he was a capable defensive general also. Furthermore, though temporarily knocked off balance by the guerilla tactics of Ambiorix, and later Vercingettorix, he adapted quickly and triumphed over them in the end.
In addition, the Civil War was more than just Caesar versus Pompey - his detractors often forget to mention the battles of Ilerda, Thapsus and Munda to name his most prominent other victories over Roman arms. On top of this, at Dyrrachium and Pharsalus, Pompey had a near 2:1 advantage in infantry, and at Pharsalus a cavalry adavntage of around 7:1. Yet Pompey failed to achieve a decisive victory at Dyrrachium, and was outright defeated at Pharsalus. On a final note, being coerced into offering battle against your better judgement, shows an error in itself.

Ever wonder why the Romans made a bogeyman out of him? because he was the greatest opponent they ever faced! After your acceptence of Napoleon on face value you can hardly use the reasoning of failure in the end to rank Hannibal down. Furtheremore Hannibal can hardly be blamed for the defeats of other Carthaginian commanders in Spain and Africa who had everything going for them thanks largely to Hannibal tying up the GREAT majority of the Roman army in attempts not to defeat but merely to CONTAIN Hannibal with mixed success (If he was an "irritant" he must have been so irritating he would drive most people insane!), it was only due to the incompetence and pettiness of Carthaginian generals and politicians that he did not take Rome itself. In conclusion Hannibal did not lose the 2nd punic war but Carthage did.

I am also a huge fan of Belisarius and my opinion of Heraclius is high to say the least, however your reasoning for ranking Heraclius higher then Belisarius seems to be:  Heraclius should not be penalised for events outside of his control but for some reason Belisarius should be penalised admittedly through "no fault of his own". please explain.

Originally posted by DSMyers1

41 Albrecht Wallenstein

67 Stanisław Koniecpolski

Why is Albrecht Wallenstein above Stanisław Koniecpolski last time I checked Wallenstien lost to Gustavus Adolphus at  Lutzen (technically) and Stanisław Koniecpolski beat the same Gustavus significantly outnumbered at Trzciana. I fail to see why Wallenstein is ranked higher.

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 10-Aug-2007 at 08:51
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 09:21
Originally posted by Praetor

Why is Albrecht Wallenstein above Stanisław Koniecpolski last time I checked Wallenstien lost to Gustavus Adolphus at  Lutzen (technically) and Stanisław Koniecpolski beat the same Gustavus significantly outnumbered at Trzciana. I fail to see why Wallenstein is ranked higher.

Regards, Praetor.

Well, the battle Trzciana (or Honigfelde, as it is known in Swedish/English) has unfortunately suffered from bad research. The Swedish side traditionally adopted the hand-waving explanation of the battle as an unimportant skirmish by the contemporary Swedish leaders, while the Polish side have accepted the rexaggerated numbers of the contemporary Polish propaganda (the English wiki article is based on these Polish figures, and is frankly ridiculous) - the truth is somewhere in between. The point is that the battle is hardly something you can make a decision on whom was the best commander out of Wallenstein and Koniecpolski (though I'd personally choose the latter, it's all about opinions anyway).
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 13:34
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Well, the battle Trzciana (or Honigfelde, as it is known in Swedish/English) has unfortunately suffered from bad research. The Swedish side traditionally adopted the hand-waving explanation of the battle as an unimportant skirmish by the contemporary Swedish leaders, while the Polish side have accepted the rexaggerated numbers of the contemporary Polish propaganda (the English wiki article is based on these Polish figures, and is frankly ridiculous) - the truth is somewhere in between. The point is that the battle is hardly something you can make a decision on whom was the best commander out of Wallenstein and Koniecpolski (though I'd personally choose the latter, it's all about opinions anyway).

Styrbiorn, I agree that the description of battle of Trzciana in wiki needs a lot of improvements. But the fact is that Koniecpolski in this battle (in fact it was the series of battles) defeated Gustav Adolf's army, although Swedish army outnumbered Polish one about 2:1 (the Swedes had 6800 soldiers; the Poles 3700). It is also the fact that Swedish loses were a couple of times higher than Polish ones.
Moreover, I'd like to repeat that Stanisław Koniecpolski and Gustav Adolf met each other on the battlefield 3 times (at Tczew in 1627; at Grudziąc in 1628 and at Trzciana in 1629). Each time Swedish army outumbered Polish one.
The battle of Tczew 1627 finished in this way that the Swedes retreated.
The meeting of Grudziąc 1628 finished in this way, that the Swedes avoided fightings with the Poles.
The battle of Trzciana 1629 was a crusing defeat of Swedish army.

You can judge yourselves who was better.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 13:36
Originally posted by rider

Mildly... no! He was never equal to Chruchill. His only important theaters were those of the Ottoman Empire. In the Spanish Succession, he never was able to make great effect of the plans he had been set to.

thats not true, Eugene led a very sucessfull campaign in nrothern italy against excellent French marshalls and beign seriously outnumbered. also, were would marlborughs sucess be without Louis von baden (who supported him at teh battle of Schellenberg) and Eugene who was the only reason why he was able to move into Germany at all, and who supported him at Blindheim? both Louis von Baden and Eugene of Savoy were brilliant mastermidns on their own. Marlboroughs only "independent" battle in the war of spanish sucession was his leats spectacular one.

Okay... von Lettow-Vorbeck was clearly the finest general the German Empire had. Never mind that he fought in Africa; he managed to divert a large group of enemy soldiers from other places plus he became the war hero after the war. He was simply brilliant when we move to talk about tactics fighting one on one's own land. Lettow-Vorbeck should be second to none. And as you mentioned, his forces weren't of the best quality.

but look whom he fought, Portuguese Colonials and ill-motivated British Indian soldiers...
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Also I think that Genghis khan is overrated. Most battles that he fought according to Arab and Persian historians he outnumbered his enemies. Also his victory against the Khawarizmids was more out of the disunion of his enemies than his own designs. His sweep into Persia was not unexpected since most vassals of the Khawarizmid pled allegiance to him immediately after his victory against them. Timur on the other hand deserves the place of Genghis khan on this list. He conquered all the lands from Central Asia to the borders of Egypt (which he defeated unlike other Mongols who lost at the gates of Egypt) and it was definitely not a peace of cake. Many time he found him self outnumbered and outgunned (battle of Ankara for instance) yet he defeated everybody that stood in his way and if he had time I wont be surprised if he conquered China as it was said his intention to do. Babur should be places hiher for what he has done in the battle of Panipat when he was outnumbered almost 10 to 1.

of course i cannot argue against Chinggis for obvious reason, but the empries he destroyed (Kwarazmians and Jin dynasty) were the most powerfull medieval empries of their time. whiel Chinggis himself had nothing but a small Steppe empire. and that Chinggis fought only few fragments of the Kwarazmian army at times is not his fault, the Kwarazmian army was overall larger than the Mongol Army but too disperesed. and Jalla-ad din Minguburnu was a descent opponent.

but also fact is, Temr the lame was a top 5 hands down. the battles he fought, the incredibbly long distance marches and the multitude of enemies he defeated should give him an unchallenged entry to the top 5. ditto Nadir Shah.

Von Moltke is in my opinion overrated and needs to be downgraded. Certainly his performance in the 7 weeks war with Austria and in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71 was great, but let us not forget, he fought against two enemies were in a pathetic state. The French barely controlled Algeria where the rebels fought with sword and bows against the French war machine; also he faced one the worst commanders in history, Mac-Mahon who couldnt even conduct a decent military stratigy despite having an advantage on von Moltke in Sedan. Also he failed miserably against the force of Ibrahim Pasha (who deserves a place in the list) in the battle of Nissibin (Nizib) and he almost led to the destruction of the Ottoman Empire.

i agree that Moltke was not that great, but who says he commanded Ottoman troops at Nissibin? from what i know he was just military observer to the Ottoman Army, not commander.

Douglas MacArthur--Solid move at Inchon, at least.

whoah, i know a lot of people, even, or especially from the US who would say that MacArthur was a horrible commander for his abyssmal defense of the Philippines, his later fanatic attempts to reconquer it despite its relative strategical insignificance and for his losing of the 8th US Army in Korea.

Edited by Temujin - 10-Aug-2007 at 13:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 128>