Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 128>
Author
black_toe04 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote black_toe04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 02:09
Hi, my friend,
Hereafter are some information for your more reference about Tran Hung Dao (Regardinng General Vo Nguyen Giap, you can reach it on internet, the result will show you so many information...)

The following is the list of known military commanders who did not lose any significant engagement against enemy as the commander-in-chief of a significant portion of a country's military forces.

Army commanders

black_toe04 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote black_toe04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 02:14
These are some informations for your more reference about Tran Hung Dao.

Undefeated military commanders

The following is the list of known military commanders who did not lose any significant engagement against enemy as the commander-in-chief of a significant portion of a country's military forces.

Army commanders

* Alexander the Great, Greek-Macedonian King of 4th Century BC

* Scipio Africanus, the victor against Hannibal

* Han Xin, General under Liu Bang, the first emperor of Han China, against Xiang Yu during the civil war in 3rd century BC

* Li Guang, General of Han China against Xiongnu in 2nd Century BC

* Huo Qubing, General of Han China against Xiongnu in 2nd Century BC

* Julius Caesar, the dictator of Rome

* Gwanggaeto the Great, Emperor of Goguryeo dynasty of Korea during 5th Century

* Khalid ibn al-Walid, Muslim Arab soldier and general, during the Islamic conquests of the 7th Century , also known as the Sword of God

* Trần Hưng Đạo, Vietnamese commander against the Mongol Invasion

* Jan ika, Czech general and Hussite leader, follower of Jan Hus

* 1st Duke of Marlborough, British General of the late 17th and early 18th century.

* Alexander Suvorov, Russian Generalissimo of 18th Century

* Guillaume Henri Dufour, Swiss General of 19th Century

* 1st Duke of Wellington, British General of the 19th Century

(http://www.answers.com/topic/undefeated-military-commanders)
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 09:24
Julius Caesar lost his first battle against Pompey (and almost lost the civil war because of it).
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 19:05
Wasn't Wellington defeated once or twice in Spain? Didn't Scipio have a few defeats before Zama? Was Marlborough really undefeated? And who was Dufour?
Bernhard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bernhard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 12:05

Wellington was defeated at :

El Bodon by Marmont
Torquemada by Souham
During siege of Burgos 
Quatre Bras by Ney
We can say even he was defeated at Busaco.
Weller wrote that "if Talavera was a victory because the French withdrew then Busaco was a defeat because the British were forced to withdraw".
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 09:36
Mustafa Kemal was never defeated.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 17:56
black_toe04

I am suprised that you added Li Guang and Huo Qubing in your list, but forgot their commander in cheif - the Han Grand General Wei-Qin.

Not only Wei-Qin was in at top of the chain of command (he answered only to Emperor Wu-Ti himself), he was also the one that fought most of the decisive campaigns against Xiong-Nu (Huns).

Huo Qubing though undefeated, had never encountered Xiong-Nu's main forces during his campaigns. True, he defeated the "Right King" of Xiong-Nu who was in comand of Hun's West-Front. He never did fight face in face with the Xiong-Nu emperors (the Chan-U).

Li Guang, on the other hand, encountered Hun emperors numerous time during his long millitary careers. Though most of time he was out-numbered, we can not ignore the fact that he never won any battle against Xiong-Nu's main forces (he fought some draws with heavy casualties). And that was one of the main reason which Wu-Ti refrained from using him.

Wei-Qin was the only Han general among three that faced the bulk of the Xiong-Nu armies who was commanded by the Hun emperors, and defeated them in several key campaigns.

So in my humble opinions, the most important military commander during the Han dynasty was Wei-Qin. Though undeniably, Li Guang and Huo Qubing are more famous among the folk-tales.

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 18:49
Originally posted by Timotheus

Wasn't Wellington defeated once or twice in Spain? Didn't Scipio have a few defeats before Zama? Was Marlborough really undefeated? And who was Dufour?

To my knowledge, Scipio was never defeated in battle.  He won the battle's of New Carthage, Baecula, Llipa, Bagbrades, Utica, Zama, and Magnesia.  He was involved in Cannae and Trebia but he was not in command. 

Another note P. Scipio the elder was defeated at the battle (more of a skirmish really) Ticinus.  Scipio the younger was present but not in command (he was only 18?).   He is undefeated to the best of my knowledge.   
Kilroy was here.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 12:59
There is no way anyone has time to go back over 23 pages of posts to see if he is already there, but I want to add to black toe04's list the name of Field Marshal Prince Eugene de Savoie-Carignan.

He certainly did not lose any engagements of significance. And his career was far longer, and against more disparate foes, than Marlborough's.

One of the very greatest generals.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 11:57

Army commanders
Alexander the Great, Greek-Macedonian King of 4th Century BC

Umm the first person in your list apparently did have losses aswell

Prof. Dinesh Agrawal
Address: 156 Aberdeen lane, State College, PA 16801 USA
Tel: (814)-234-3558 (Home), (814)-863-8034 (Office)
The facts narrated below will expose the popular myth about the so-called world-conquerer "Alexander, The Great(?)". I am sure your readers will be interested to learn the truth about the mis-adventures of Alexander in India.

Alexander did not win any war on the Indian soil, he in fact lost to Porus, the king of Punjab, and had to sign a treaty with Porus in order to save his diminishing band of soldiers who were grief-stricken at the loss of their compatriots at the hands of Porus`s army, and expressed their strong desire to surrender.

http://sify.com/itihaas/fullstory.php?id=13225593
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 16:00
Bulldog,

I don't like to criticize sources.  It is a cheap form of defending one's point of view in an argument.  But your source (this Dinesh Agrawal) is a joke of a historian.

He states, "Another myth is propagated by the Western historians that Alexander was noble and kind king.".  First, he is implying that 'Western Historians' are trying to deceive everyone.  Second; Rarely, have I seen historians view Alexander as noble and kind.  He massacred innocent people to set a political example of what happens when people revolt.  They may have been examples of him being kind to a personal level.  But as a ruler.  Hardly.

That is just a small example of him trying to exhibit his talent as an historian.  Historians are just like doctors.  If you don't like the answer of one, seek a second opinion.  Everyone has one!

He also stated ancient historians saying the same what he claims as facts, yet he gave no examples.  This is his actual quote, "The depictions by Curtius, Justin, Diodorus, Arrian and Plutarch are quite consistent and reliable in concluding that Alexander was defeated by Porus and had to make a treaty with him to save his and his soldiers` lives.Depictions?  This isn't art.  Give stated words.  I would remove this website from your favorites (or bookmarks if using Mozilla).  He is a contorted individual.

He isn't even a 'professor' of history.  He is the Director of Microwave Processing and Engineering Center in Pennslyvannia.

Below is a picture of him.
(http://www.mri.psu.edu/directory/displayrecord/1009.asp)

Edited by Travis Congleton - 13-Jan-2007 at 16:04
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 02:53
First of all if something I write has previously been said my apologies, I got up to page 6.  I applaud DSMeyers1 for the effort involved in a project of this scope, it reminds me of when member Belisarius was compiling every dynasty in history.  I believe Alexander to be the greatest general in history with hannibal second.  Though I know nothing about East Asian military history and have very limited knowledge of Indian and Islamic military history.  Alexander was both a tactical and strategical genius which is extremely rare in generals.  He may have fought inferior opponents, I won't argue with that, but his accomplishments far outweigh that.  He fought barbarians in the balkans in mountain and guerilla warfare successfully (something Napoleon never understood--guerilla warfare).  He fought the persians on the plains.  He fought Scythian horse archers on the steppes.  He fought the Indians in the jungle, and he won every single one of those encounters.  I have never found another general who could win in any environment with any tactic.  Hannibal I would rank second, his ability to inspire his men was up there with Alexander and Napoleon.  He was the master of envelopment.  He used elephants successfully in multiple ways.  He fought the romans who were much more numerous and what many people forget is Hannibal had numerous nationalities under his command (a huge disadvantage compared to the homogeneous Romans) and he used mercenaries who fought for pay, not in defence of their country like the romans.  That army was held together (especially the gauls) through the sheer will of Hannibal and the loyalty he inspired.  Hannibal didn't advance on Rome because that wasn't his goal, he wanted to restore the balance of power if you will in the western mediterranean.  He wanted to split rome from her allies in the rest of the peninsula, which he did with at most limited success.  He wanted a return to before the first punic war, not the absolute destruction of the romans.  One of the reasons Hannibal ultimately failed is because Hannibal waged war like Alexander's successors; you destroy your enemy in one or several battles and then he sues for terms.  The problem for Hannibal was the Romans fought total war/all or nothing.  The romans would never surrender to Hannibal, one of the reasons he was marching around Italy for almost two decades. (interestingly enough the nation states of the seventeenth and eighteeneth centuries fought in the same way)  I might give Napoleon the nod for third, but after that its wide open.  I would just mention Fabius Maximus of the second punic war for his strategic ability.  I don't think he ever took the field but with him as the commander in chief of the roman armies you could argue the romans were winning the war.  Fabius was able to do this because he was using the indirect approach.  I would also mention some of Alexander's generals.  Cassander in particular used the indirect approach quite successfully in defeating antigonus and his son demetrias.  Basil Liddell Hart made the statement that Alexanders generals were more capable than Napoleon's generals.  To be honest he might be on to something.  If you'll notice that some of Alexander's generals were able to establish their own kingdoms and dynasties in their own right.  Also remember that Alexander's successors fought each other with the same quality troops (after all they had all fought on the same side a few years earlier) besides that his successors knew each other quite well and therefore knew each others tendencies etc.  I hope all of this makes sense.
I would also add that Marshal Davout should be fairly high (in my opinion he is right alongside Napoleon).  His victory at Auerstadt shows his military excellence.  Some put him on par with Napoleon.  I believe he is one of a very few to execute a tactical double-envelopment of an army twice his size.  Belisarius stands out as a general who did more with less than anyone else.  Strategically Manstein was the greatest of Germany's generals during the second world war, the other generals recognized this in pressing for hitler to appoint him chief of staff, as has been said his plan is what conquered france, and his elastic defence of the russian front in 1943 was most impressive.  I'll probably add more later.

Edited by Justinian - 25-Jun-2007 at 22:25
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 05:18
I think it's an impressive list. :)

My first thought about the first list was that Toyotomi Hideyoshi should be on there if Oda Nobunaga and Takeda Shingen is, but then I saw your revised list and noticed that he did get on there. Nice choice. ;)

Another thing I thought was that Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen might be interchangeable. Kenshin was Shingen's rival, and outlived Shingen to accomplish other things (he even defeated Nobunaga once at the Battle of Tedori River). Shingen clashed with Kenshin many times at Kawanakajima, with the most famous battle between the two occuring at the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima. Both characters were actually very similar in ways, but I think that Kenshin was slightly better. One reason I believe this is true is that Shingen essentially lost the overall campaign against the Uesugi. Even if he did win the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima and perhaps some other feuds, Shingen never managed to gain any significant territory from his warring with Kenshin, which was what his goal was to begin with. At the Fourth Battle of Kawanakajima, Kenshin's clever formation nearly defeated Shingen's, and Shingen only managed to win because generals like Baba Nobufusa put up a valiant stand at the end of the fight.

Though interchangeable, both character's victories were relatively minor. Quite possibly, the victories obtained by Shimazu Yoshihisa/Yoshihiro in Kyushu made one or the other of them better than Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin. I also accept the fact that there may be quite a few commanders from other parts of the world who accomplished more than Takeda Shingen, Uesugi Kenshin and the Shimazus as generals.

Edited by Slick - 18-Jan-2007 at 04:16
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
Jonny Starcraft View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jonny Starcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 05:01
Nobody know him, but i think he should be in the first 100.

Stanisław Żłkiewski (1547-1620) was a Polish nobelman, magnate and military commander. He took part in many military operations both in Poland and on its southern and eastern border. He held a number of notable posts in the administration of the Polish-Lithunian Commonwealth including the castelan of Lwow (from 1590), voivod of Kiev Voivodship and Great Chancellor of the Crown (from 1618). Following 1588 he was also a Field Crown Hetman, in 1613 promoted to Grand Hetman of the Crown. During his lifetime he won major military victories against Muscovy, the Ottoman Empire and Tatars.

Żłkiewski attended schools in Lww, was well read and spoke foreign languages. He was secretary to King Stefan Batory. Between 1594 and 1596 he defeated the Cossacks uprisng of  Seweryn Nalivaiko. In 1607 he defeated the Zebrzydowskis Rebellion in the battle of Guzw. In 1610 he achieved yet another brilliant victory in the battle of Kluszyn against 5X stronger army of Muscovy ( 7000 Commonwealth soldiers- 5000 hussars and 2000 infantry against 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedes ). As an effect of his successful campaign, Żłkiewski seized Moscow and has taken the tsar Vasiliy Shuyskiy captive during the Dymitriads. He was the first European who occupied Moscow. He supported the election Wladyslaw IV Vasa for tsar and the idea of personal union between the Commonwealth and Muscovy.

Since 1612 he was a teacher and tutor Stanislaw Koniecpolski, future hetman and military commander. Both in 1612 and 1617 he commanded military campaigns to Moldavia and Ukraine. Despite his old age (he was over 70), he continued his active service as a military commander until the very end.

Edited by Jonny Starcraft - 19-Feb-2007 at 10:24
Kaczyński is the biggest LOSER. HiS handicapped clone too!
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 09:06
Stanisław Żłkiewski was mentioned quite a while back in this thread.  It was decided that he did not have enough significant victories over good opposing generals, if I remember correctly (I don't know where in this thread that was).  Koniecpolski, on the other hand, fought Gustavus Adolphus very well--thus his degree of difficulty was higher.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jonny Starcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 10:33
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Stanisław Żłkiewski was mentioned quite a while back in this thread.  It was decided that he did not have enough significant victories over good opposing generals, if I remember correctly (I don't know where in this thread that was).  Koniecpolski, on the other hand, fought Gustavus Adolphus very well--thus his degree of difficulty was higher.

OK that's your list.Wink  I thought, that he was good commander,  But really, he hadn't  overcome any good general.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by Jonny Starcraft

In 1610 he achieved yet another brilliant victory in the battle of Kluszyn against 5X stronger army of Muscovy ( 7000 Commonwealth soldiers- 5000 hussars and 2000 infantry against 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedes ).

Though Zolkowski was a very talented commander, Klusina is a really overhyped battle, if there ever was one. The opposing army, which hadn't been payed properly, was in a state of almost-mutiny. Especially the Swedish part of the army was in a state of rebellion and the infantry did not obey orders. They demolished their own defenses and refused to form a battle line even as the Poles advanced. The mercenaries began switching sides as the battle begun, and as the Russians heard about this they started fleeing and many didn't take part in the battle in any other way than plundering their own baggade or getting caught up and swayed over or killed by the Poles as they were trying to get somewhere safer than on the battlefield.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jonny Starcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 12:46
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

In 1610 he achieved yet another brilliant victory in the battle of Kluszyn against 5X stronger army of Muscovy ( 7000 Commonwealth soldiers- 5000 hussars and 2000 infantry against 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedes ).

Though Zolkowski was a very talented commander, Klusina is a really overhyped battle, if there ever was one. The opposing army, which hadn't been payed properly, was in a state of almost-mutiny. Especially the Swedish part of the army was in a state of rebellion and the infantry did not obey orders. They demolished their own defenses and refused to form a battle line even as the Poles advanced. The mercenaries began switching sides as the battle begun, and as the Russians heard about this they started fleeing and many didn't take part in the battle in any other way than plundering their own baggade or getting caught up and swayed over or killed by the Poles as they were trying to get somewhere safer than on the battlefield.

Swedes were changing sides after Russian defensive broke. Before  some of hussars charged 7 times. It's true that many people  avoided battle.  Also not every commander  can took tsar as a prisonerWink.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 15:51
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Do You have any sources to support Your tesis or is it only how You see it. Because although some Western mercenaries didn't want to fight, Swedish and Russians were fighting for real. Obstacles were removed by fire of Polish-Lithuanian cannons. Winged Hussars were charging 10 times if I remember correctly. And what do You mean by if there was one. I can say the same about Battle of Lutzen. You only try to justify disaster of 35.000 Russian-Swedish army in the face of 7.000 Polish army. But the fact is that in those times Polish Lithaunian army was far better than Russian or Swedish or any from the neighbourhood.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 07:40
I would give you a bunch of names, DSMyers, don't know if you have them or not but consider:

Skobelev
Lettow-Vorbeck
Lawrence
Falkenhayn
Ludendorff
Plumer
Monash
Allenby
Brussilov (Brusilov)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 128>