Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 128>
Author
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 30-Jul-2008 at 20:07
We need to weed out the good from the average here, I suspect. 

Jonathan4290 - you're site is great, I really enjoyed it.  Perhaps it'd be worth doing a "featured generals" section, and do their battles as animations, such as the campaigns of Napoleon etc?  It'd be a big job, but it'd be great.

Know thyself
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 00:40
Thanks CC Benjamin, it means a lot. I'd really like to do what you suggested, I just need to find some time to do it. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I'm leaving for RMC (Canada's version of West Point) in a few weeks and don't know how much time I'll have to work on my site. The first commander I'd focus on would definitely be Napoleon. I've already done Ulm, Dresden is on my list to do in the near future while Jena-Auerstadt and Liepzig I plan on doing one day. I'd then do a spotlight on Alexander (Tyre is on the same list as Dresden) and Hannibal because so many of his individual battles on their own are masterpieces. Otherwise I still consult this list when choosing which commander's battle I wanna animate. Anyways thanks CC Benjamin and back to the list.

DSMyers: If you're serious about having a better guerrilla commander I can dig up as much info on those you listed sometime soon although I regard Mao and Giap as the best guerrilla commanders and they did not make the criteria so I'm not sure how the others will stack up. However, I'll put a solid post together with my suggestions and leave it to you. You seem to have some experience in these sorts of things.Cheeky

Marshall and Eisenhower: Yes, they did a fine job in organizing a massive array of armies from so many different countries except it's been done many times before under even more difficult circumstances in the last 60 years. I say keep them off.

I really wish the Chinese government would get the internet to all of its people so we could get some solid information on these Chinese generals. Maybe we should start a petition.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 14:33
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

DSMyers: If you're serious about having a better guerrilla commander I can dig up as much info on those you listed sometime soon although I regard Mao and Giap as the best guerrilla commanders and they did not make the criteria so I'm not sure how the others will stack up. However, I'll put a solid post together with my suggestions and leave it to you. You seem to have some experience in these sorts of things.Cheeky

Marshall and Eisenhower: Yes, they did a fine job in organizing a massive array of armies from so many different countries except it's been done many times before under even more difficult circumstances in the last 60 years. I say keep them off.

I really wish the Chinese government would get the internet to all of its people so we could get some solid information on these Chinese generals. Maybe we should start a petition

Regarding the guerrilla commanders: I would be fine putting one on the list, but I didn't like Giap much--his attempts at conventional battles were such miserable failures that they mar his record enough to keep him off the Top 100.  I'm not sure on Mao.  I would be happy to see your list of suggestions and information.  My first thought was that al-Qadir and the Boer generals were the best guerrilla commanders.  Unfortunately, there are 3 good Boer guerrilla generals, listed above.

My experience is primarily working on this list, but I have always been an organizer/team leader (at least I was through college) so I have some of the skills for moderating a list like this.  I also don't ever get into my own viewpoint enough to lose my temper in a discussion--I always assume I know less about the topic than the guy I am debating.  (Which is usually correct on a list like this; my technical skills are more in engineering, math, and science than history--though I have an unusually broad historical background, it was rarely extremely deep on a topic.)

I agree on Eisenhower, but I wanted to at least throw them out there so we could say we considered them.  I will have them on the list, probably down near 200...

The internet penetration is quite high in China, actually.  However, there is the "Great Firewall" to contend with (really).  However, the issue is more with the lack of English-language resources and translations.  I did post on the last page a link to at least one forum that had some people with historical Chinese skill; I wish a few more would show up here on All Empires.  For the GokTurks, we need the author of the GokTurks article, Ihsan, to show back up...  The updated article is on his forums at http://steppes.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=board05&action=print&thread=359
Ihsan wrote an article on Köl Tigin at:
http://steppes.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=board05&action=display&thread=361
Unfortunately, I don't speak Turkish--could someone who does look it over?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 21:20
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Unfortunately, there are 3 good Boer guerrilla generals, listed above.

make that four: Joubert, Botha, de Wet & de la Rey. don't know why you included Smuts....

as for Bohdan Khmelnitzky, i think he was more of a leader than a great commander, same goes for Thaddaues Kosziusko
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 21:30
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by DSMyers1

Unfortunately, there are 3 good Boer guerrilla generals, listed above.

make that four: Joubert, Botha, de Wet & de la Rey. don't know why you included Smuts....

as for Bohdan Khmelnitzky, i think he was more of a leader than a great commander, same goes for Thaddaues Kosziusko

I included Smuts because of his raid on the Cape, in which he was the commander and quite successful.  I was under the impression Botha wasn't quite as good.  And Piet Joubert?  I know he won Laings Nek, but I don't know much else.  I know less about the First Boer War than the second, and that itself is not very much.

Thanks for the info on the other two.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 07:42

Originally posted by Justinian

Another observation I had was regarding the position of Phillip II.  He seems to high to me; his greatest achievement seems to be he built an army from scratch and then someone else used it to remarkable effect.  That would make him a great administrator, but it wouldn't make him a better general.  His conquering/subduing of Greece was very impressive, however the city states were not what they used to be.  He brought Macedon to the forefront, that I will not deny, however he seems very similar in skill to a certain general from Epirus that's not even on the list.  Looking at those below him, I'm not sure where he should go, just that he's getting too much credit for Alexander's achievements.  (so it seems to me)

Addendum:   his conquering of Greece showed off his political acumen more than his military ability, (personal opinion) I think his political talents are deserving of more attention.  They stand out more to me than his military ones.

it seems this went down amongst all the marlborough vs Eugene and Stefan/Mihail debatte. anyways, i couldn't agree less with that. DSMyers mentioned he "invented combined arms". well, he didn't. first, the use of horse & foot isn't combined arms. second, horse & foot was used before that, even by other greeks.
I'm a bit confused on what I said regarding Phillip you don't agree with, would you mind elaborating?
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 13:55
yeah that was a little compact. i mean combined arms isn't using infantry & cavalry together, combined arms would be for example using Hoplites & peltasts or using missile cavalry together with shock cavalry. also both light infantry & cavalry existed before Philipp II in Hellas, therefore it wasn't his invention.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 16:46

yeah that was a little compact. i mean combined arms isn't using infantry & cavalry together, combined arms would be for example using Hoplites & peltasts or using missile cavalry together with shock cavalry. also both light infantry & cavalry existed before Philipp II in Hellas, therefore it wasn't his invention.

When I had referred to Philip of Macedon being the first to utilize a true combined-arms army, I meant an army which had all 4 primary arms (light (ranged) and heavy cavalry and light and heavy infantry) and coherently used them to mutually support one another; that is, used their relative strengths in concert to beat foes that were less balanced.  There were armies before his in which all 4 arms were present, but his was the first, I believe, to actually recognize and use the various strengths and weaknesses coherently, mutually supporting one another.  Before, it seemed to just be a matter of arranging each contingent without identifying how to develop mutual support on the battlefield between arms.

At least that is how I heard it....
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 05:36

Okay I think I understand your meaning.  I still don't think we really disagree on anything, Phillip it would seem owed a lot by way of innovations to tactics, specifically infantry, to epaminondas.  I can't recall if I've referred to him being an innovator in combined arms, (after 100+ pgs. I don't remember much) though he definitely is worthy of mention when it comes to warfare advances for the way he used his infantry and cavalry together; hammer and anvil.  (Alexander really expanded upon Phillips base using light and heavy cavalry, light and heavy infantry and missile troops together)

Edited by Justinian - 10-Aug-2008 at 05:38

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2008 at 19:03
yeah but this famous "hammer & anvil" never happened in makedonian warfare. Smile
the only time it was being used was by Hannibal at Cannae, but never by Alexander or Philipp.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 23:06

yeah but this famous "hammer & anvil" never happened in makedonian warfare. Smile
the only time it was being used was by Hannibal at Cannae, but never by Alexander or Philipp.

Erm... Hannibal didn't use that technique at Cannae.  He allowed the Romans to push his center back without pushing his flanks back, allowing them to be completely enveloped.

As I understand it, Hannibal didn't hammer their flanks by holding their center with sturdy, immobile phalanxes, he used his infantry quite flexibly and then his cavalry enveloped them to prevent them fleeing.

If he'd hammered them, he'd have broken the encirclement to perform multiple charges, the Romans may have been able to break out of the encirclement.
Know thyself
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 02:12

Now you have my attention.Smile  I know I keep asking you to elaborate, without doing much of it myself, but I would love to hear more of your opinion on this.  What do you understand the tactic to mean (just to make sure we interrupt it the same way and are not getting caught up in semantics) and how some of Phillip and Alexander's battles do not qualify? 

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Erm... Hannibal didn't use that technique at Cannae.  He allowed the Romans to push his center back without pushing his flanks back, allowing them to be completely enveloped.

As I understand it, Hannibal didn't hammer their flanks by holding their center with sturdy, immobile phalanxes, he used his infantry quite flexibly and then his cavalry enveloped them to prevent them fleeing.

If he'd hammered them, he'd have broken the encirclement to perform multiple charges, the Romans may have been able to break out of the encirclement.

at Cannae Hannibals cavalry defeated the much inferior Roman cavalry on both wings which allowed the Carthaginians to completely surround and annihilate the Roman force. Hannibal had choosen to deploy in line while the Romans sought strenght in depth and had only their cavalry to protect the flanks. this victory would have not come without the work of the cavalry, therefore we can easily say that Cannae was "hammer & anvil".
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by Justinian

Now you have my attention.Smile  I know I keep asking you to elaborate, without doing much of it myself, but I would love to hear more of your opinion on this.  What do you understand the tactic to mean (just to make sure we interrupt it the same way and are not getting caught up in semantics) and how some of Phillip and Alexander's battles do not qualify? 

i haven't heard of this before before i came here but someone once explained it this way: "the cavalry is the hammer that drives the enemy on the phalanx where it will be crushed between the two forces". this pretty much applies for Cannae but not really any of Philipps or Alexanders battles. the battles of Alexander were all won by the weight of the right wing cavalry but unlike Cannae the enemy always routed before the onslaught and the Phalanx was hardly engaged at all. at Chaeronea no envelopment took place and i can't think of any other battle of Philipp where you could apply this.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 18:35

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

at Cannae Hannibals cavalry defeated the much inferior Roman cavalry on both wings which allowed the Carthaginians to completely surround and annihilate the Roman force. Hannibal had choosen to deploy in line while the Romans sought strenght in depth and had only their cavalry to protect the flanks. this victory would have not come without the work of the cavalry, therefore we can easily say that Cannae was "hammer & anvil".

Just because a victory included cavalry doesn't automatically make it a "hammer and anvil" victory.

These tactics are used to break the infantry, rather than "capture" them within a circle from which they cannot escape.  That would be contradictory to the tactic, as you want to make the enemy flee, and then chase them down.

It required a solid line of infantry - normally a phalanx, because there weren't any formations more solid - to hold the bulk of the enemy infantry in place, so that the cavalry can manoeuver around them unhindered.

At Cannae, Hannibal put his weakest infantry in the center, knowing the Romans had stacked their own center and that they'd push them back.   Hannibal put his strong infantry on the flanks so that they would not be pushed back, allowing him to encircle the enemy after his cavalry finished off the Roman cavalry, and come in the back to prevent retreat.

This is the reverse of a hammer and anvil tactic.
Know thyself
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 19:05
but as i said hammer = cavalry plus anvil = infantry, the enemy force is not allowed to escape.

besides, it wouldn't work out your way. the toughest troops need to be in the center because the center needs to hold firm the main Roman trust. hannibal adopted a slight crescent-shaped formation for his line, it isn't necessary to overpower the Romans at the flanks as their formation was deep columns so this task is already done. also until the 20th century infantry marched and fought in some sort of formation, wheather line or column it doesn't matter. in each case however infantry would not need to be held in place, flexibel cavalry will always be able to outmanouvre them, as with Cannae when the enemy cavalry was routed whose job it was to prevent exactly this.
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 19:50
My long-awaited (lol) post on possible guerrilla candidates:

Abd el-Kadr
Abd el-Kadr led a revolt against determined French rule in Algeria, lasting for fifteen years, in which French forces report never seeing his forces, until surrender. He was defeated by brutal methods of French Marshal Bugeaud who understood counterinsurgency methods of the time after serving in the Peninsular War. Abd el-Kadr's failure has been attributed to the lack of unity between tribal forces, mainly the Arabs and Kabyles. He deserves some blame for this as other leaders have united different peoples for a cause; he did not help this factor by being strictly religious in his command. If Abd el-Kadr makes the list, it is because his actions provoked ongoing strife that would eventually result in Algerian independence a century later, his personal qualities well-remembered and diffused.

Christiaan de Wet
As said before, he is arguably the most notable of Boer commanders, leading 20,000 guerillas against 300,000 British soldiers for over three years. He is credited with being the first to mine railways but also favoured large-scale ambushes for more publicity. He did "lose" the war but only stopped fighting with the knowledge that the aftermath of the war would result in a liberal British government that would grant South Africa independence. If Christiaan de Wet makes the list, it  is because he was a heroic figure who did in the end, achieve the goal of his cause.

Imam Shamil
Shamil effectively led diverse Caucasian mountain peoples against the vastly expanding Russian Empire and lasted for thirty years, inflicting over 20,000 casualties with raiding parties of no more than 500 men. Shamil manipulated relations with France, Britain and Turkey to acquire arms (not easy to do when you lead peasants in a time when guerrilla warfare gained no respect). Shamil differs from el-Kadr in that he surrendered with his family who later led a normal life. If Shamil makes this list, it is because he lasted the longest against determined suppression out of these candidates, unrest still continues in the area and he is still revered as a role model among the insurgents of this region.

Josip Broz Tito
Tito led a group of partisans against Axis rule and rival guerrillas during World War II until the Axis rule collapsed, and then assumed power by defeating rival guerrillas and uniting all of Yugoslavia. This assumption of power can be seen as political but one must appreciate the political nature of warfare to fully appreciate guerrilla leaders such as Tito. His group grew from 15,000 in 1941 to over 200,000 in 1943 and established so many liberated areas that the Germans declared that a Soviet state had materialized in their rear. If Tito makes the list, it is because he is the dominant leader in the only region to organize operational, effective resistance against Axis rule and because he also exercised his counterinsurgency abilities by quelling all uprisings for thirty-five years until his death - at which point Yugoslavia exploded.

Giap and Mao are at the top of my list for guerrilla leaders (as everyone on this forum knows already :P:P), I don't think of el-Kadr very highly but I would suggest any one of Shamil, de Wet or Tito (I love Tito). Anyways that's all the info I have on them, hope it helps.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 20:27
Thanks, Jonathan!

I would tend to favor de Wet and Tito out of that list, I think--primarily due to their success at all levels.  The other two eventually lost and their causes failed...  de Wet and Tito both successfully exhibited all 4 of the levels of generalship on the criteria, it appears.  I still question how much to value de Wet over the other Boer generals, however.  I know little about Tito's campaigns in Yugoslavia.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 20:42
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

Christiaan de Wet
As said before, he is arguably the most notable of Boer commanders, leading 20,000 guerillas against 300,000 British soldiers for over three years. He is credited with being the first to mine railways but also favoured large-scale ambushes for more publicity. He did "lose" the war but only stopped fighting with the knowledge that the aftermath of the war would result in a liberal British government that would grant South Africa independence. If Christiaan de Wet makes the list, it  is because he was a heroic figure who did in the end, achieve the goal of his cause.

good post (again), but is de Wet really the best Boer commander? it seems nowadays at least de la Rey is more popular: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHqKJyo3GQ

to me it appears Joubert was the most sucessfull of them all.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 22:58
Belisarius was better than the 3 who are in front of him currently, but I suppose Im a lil biasedBig%20smile. Belisarius, for me, is one of the most interesting figures of history. Guy had it rough.. 
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 128>