Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Great Book for British Imperial History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Great Book for British Imperial History
    Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 10:40
I'm reading Niall Ferguson's book "Empire"- How Britain made the modern world. I would really recommend it for anyone interested in British Imperial History or , for that matter any colonial history as it speaks in depth about other colonialist nations as well. The main question that it seeks to answer is how one small island like Britian came to rule one of the largest empires ever- and it does this very well. Unlike other Imperial historians like Saul David, it seems to be a little more statisical and focus on the economic and demographic side of the empire. In general, very, very readable and informative.

ISBN- 0-141-00754-0
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 18:30

..Hi there...

..i did watch the tv programme of the same name....informative and raises a few questions but as with Niall's current tv slot 'The war of the world'..i am not that convinced with some of his opinions or standpoints..still, the quality is pretty good and of much better substance than most.....

..i will probably get round to reading 'Empire' at some point but i have a list of books that i need to tackle before i get to Niall's!!!!Thumbs Up

..happy reading...

..Shaun...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 20:44
Its a well written and very informative book, I recommend it      

Edited by Bulldog - 19-Jul-2006 at 20:45
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:25
Yeah- its great! I used to read Saul David's imperial histories (Zulu, the Indian Mutiny, Empire) , but they are nowhere near as well written as this and do not explore the deeper reasons and political implications of the events in question- they focus more on the characters responsible. By the way, Bulldog- have you read Osman's Dream? That song you quoted in the Istanbul Eytemology section features a lot in that book.

Edited by Earl Aster - 20-Jul-2006 at 09:27
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 09:57
Yep, Osmans Dream......loved it Big smile 

Also I love reading Chaucer, it gives a feel of how the life for ordinary folk was back in the the early-medieval era of England, not to mention Europe aswell, his accounts of the Lombardy area in the Mechants Tale.

Its good to read about the hard sources, information and descriptive scholorly accounts of history but it can somtimes get a bit bland. So reading the works of people who actually lived in those times gives a good insight into what life was like back then. Plus if you know the historical setting well it becomes alot more interesting and your able to appreciate the work of this great writters even more.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:35
Yes- Chaucer is facinating although i have to say i find the middle english quite taxing. Osmans' Dream though, i have to say, is one of the most well written pieces of historical nonfiction i have read- it is so well done, so graceful and informative, not to mention that it manages to present its content in a light and easy way
 Post Reply Post Reply