Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nan Madol and Polynesia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nan Madol and Polynesia
    Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 17:29

A while back I had a conversation with a fellow forumer and he scoffed at the notion that the Polynesians could have possible have had any notable civilization of their own. That reminded me of a documentary on the islands of Nan Madol, which are part of Micronesia, in the middle of the Pacific.

It is a group of 92 man-made islands, which are made of stone probably transported by sea, and on which there are massive megalithic structures dating to the 12th century AD. Archeologists believe that the structures had a religious purpose, and that they show a high degree of organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nan_Madol

The islands were abandoned by the time of the European conquest. Later on, they inspired H.P. Lovecraft to create his mythical land of Chtulhu.

These islands together with the much better known Easter Island and the Polynesians' remarkable nautical skills, are in my opinion, proof that the Polynesians are underrated in world history.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply