Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12th century Ethnic Groups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12th century Ethnic Groups
    Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 14:41
Hi,

I'm coding a historical computer game. Setting is Europe, North Africa and east to India. Time period is the late 12th century. If you could only choose 14 major ethnic groups, which would they be? Please critique these choices:

Moor
Norse
Celt
Teuton
Slav
Magyar
Greek
Jew
Persian
Turk
Byzantine (Roman?)
Petcheneg
Arab
Indian (is there a more historical name?)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 15:07
You can combine Greek and Byzantine into one. Perhaps split Slavs to Bulgars and Serbs. How about Franks?
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 15:23
Alright, thanks for the suggestions.

I'd also like the opinion of the forum-goers on population ratios. If the entire area was represented by 100 people (and Hind was cut to 1/3), what would the groups number roughly?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 16:04
"Teuton" could only posibly refer to two things, either the Germanic tribe that invaded Gaul and northern Italy in the 2nd century BC, or the Teutonic knights which originated at the end of the 12th century, but could not be described as a "ethnic group" by any means.

If you mean the Germans, then by the 12th century you can actually call them that, by then they had formed a dinstictive "ethnic group", namely a country, the Eastern Frankish empire that had evolved into the Holy Roman Empire.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 16:32
Western europe seems a little neglected. France was one of the major players in Europe, England quite important, Spain, Ireland and Scotland were also countries too.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 17:32
Countries yes, but what I mean is ethnic groups.

I'll replace Greeks with Franks. Ireland and Scotland are Celts, Spain is Moors and what?? Anglo-Saxons are Germans? Normans can be Norse?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by macoln

I'll replace Greeks with Franks. Ireland and Scotland are Celts, Spain is Moors and what?? Anglo-Saxons are Germans? Normans can be Norse?

Anglo-Saxons ,are "Germanics", not Germans, and by the 12th century and after the Norman conquest they had already began to disappear as a distinctive ethnic group and to amalgamate into what would later become the English.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 17:51

I would say that the Norwegians by this time are not an important group anymore. Swedes and Danish are both more suitable, at least thats what I think. If you want to include all of them into one group, either Danes or just Scandinavians would be more apt.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 17:54
Originally posted by macoln

In your case with only of 14 ethnic groups, I would go for this setup:

1 Byzantines (Greeks)
2 Germans
3 French
4 Russians
5 Turks
6 Arabs
7 Moors
8 Persian
9 Hindu (Indians ?)
10 Magyars
11 Kipchaks (Cumans, successors of Pechenegs in southern Russia)
12 English
13 Polish
14 ...

one free place. One I would give to some major Central Asian ethnicity.

Edited by axeman - 17-Jul-2006 at 17:55
 Post Reply Post Reply