Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine Metalworking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine Metalworking
    Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 00:16
In playing Age of Empires II: Conquerors, it has always amused me the extent to which the Byzantines can upgrade in armor. One can upgrade them all the way up to the second-to-last option, Plate Armor. Granted the game does not allow the Byzantines access to the final Blast Furnace option but correct me if I'm wrong: wasn't plate armor produced on a large scale using the blast furnace? There seems to be no evidence to support that the Byzantines were able to make plate armor in the late period (14th-15th centuries).

In reality, the Byzantines had the technology and ability to make sophisticated chain and scale armor, specifically scale. However, although it is close, the heavy Byzantine klibanion was not the same as scale armor in Western Europe. It is different (and unique) in a couple ways: the klibanion did not have a leather backing (it was laced together by thongs, not nailed by rivets), and the individual pieces (lamellae) overlapped upwards instead of downwards.

If one examines the military manuals and strategika of the early and middle periods, as well as icons and manuscript illuminations, one can get a good idea of what Byzantine armor looked like. Some archaeological evidence clues us in on the metallurgy of the armor, which was mainly iron. Metallurgy texts that they used were ones from their ancient Greek predecessors.

Of course, the imperial government tightly controlled precious metals and their mining like other commodities/resources, but as time wore on, mining operations devolved into the hands of private owners. As far as the tradition of mining and armor-making, the Byzantines followed the methods of their Roman predecessors very conservatively.

In the late period, the imperial government did not have the funds, or possibly even the interest, in harnessing the new technology that Western Europe was using, like the blast furnace. The ones who could afford plate armor, such as the nobility, probably imported it from the northern Balkans or from the Italian Republics.

As for work with precious metals, the Byzantines still continued to put out masterful pieces, especially for ecclesiastical use. There is evidence of Byzantine gold and silver smiths taking high-paying positions in Western Europe after the fall of Constantinople in 1453.

As you see it, how did Byzantine metalworking change or remain the same through out its long history (284/330-1461)?

Does anyone else know anything about Byzantine blacksmith and metalworking techniques in the late period? Where there any blast furnaces installed in any of the major cities?

Some secondary sources if anyone is interested:

Warren Treadgold, Byzantium and Its Army, 284-1081

Eric McGeer, Sowing the Dragon's Teeth: Byzantine Warfare in the Tenth Century

John Haldon, Warfare, State and Society in the Byzantine World, 565-1204

Mark C. Bartusis, The Late Byzantine Army: Arms and Society, 1204-1453

Maria G. Parani, Reconstructing the Reality of Images: Byzantine Material Culture and Religious Iconography (11th-15th Centuries)

E-texts in PDF format of the excellent reference work The Economic History of Byzantium from the Seventh through the Fifteenth Century, ed. Angeliki E. Laiou (includes articles on Byzantine metallurgy and mining):

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 13-Jul-2006 at 00:51
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 15:50
I am quite sure that there were large furnaces in larger cities such as Nicaea, Thessalonike, Chersonesus, etc...

Ofcourse I am not a blacksmith nor an expert in those areas but I might suggest NOT TO look for any major things being right in the AOE series...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by rider

I am quite sure that there were large furnaces in larger cities such as Nicaea, Thessalonike, Chersonesus, etc...

Blast furnaces, really?  I was under the impression that after the blast furnace was developed in Scandinavia, the technology slowly spread to Germany, Hungary, and eventually west to the British Isles.  It stayed in these places and the first plate armor was manufactured and shipped out to other continental European kingdoms.  I have yet to come across anything in the later Byzantine sources that describe anything like a blast furnace, much less detailed descriptions of metalworking period.

Ofcourse I am not a blacksmith nor an expert in those areas but I might suggest NOT TO look for any major things being right in the AOE series...

LOL Well, yes, I said that it was amusing to me!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 05:38
I told you I was wrong.

Where did the Romans then make their swords if not in furnaces? Definetly, not in owens..Tongue
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 17:39
I have also got introdused to Byzantine History from Age of Empires Tongue but i still believe that AoE was a bad game in the aspect of Historical accuransy (hey even the muslins had knights and Cavaliers with plate armor, when the muslims never reach the plate armor Tongue).

I am not an expert in metalworking but i believe that Blast Furnance was knowen from roman time ( ok i don't make an oath on that). It seems that in the AoE Byzantines didn't get that feat for gameplay balances issues Tongue (although AoE was really bad at balancing factor LOL).
 About the Armor factor now. I believe that the Byzantines produced armor until the late 13th century. In the 14th and 15th century the Byzantines didn't accually have an army so there was no need for them to produce any armor of weapons. It is a fact i believe that they actually buy armors for the Italians (venetians and Genuats). So the really few Byzantines soldiers of the 2 last centuries perhaps looked like the ittalians soldiers. (Well the Church in the east part made a good work by senting the young boys to Monasteries rather than in the military........).
 Perhaps that's why as you mentioned before the Byzantines smiths was highly paided in europe, they didn't lack on teckniques, there was not just needed to produse Plate armors or weapons. Btw where the Nobles repair their armors if that tecknology wasn't knowed?.
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Blast furnaces, really? I was under the impression that after the blast furnace was developed in Scandinavia, the technology slowly spread to Germany, Hungary,and eventually west to the British Isles. It stayed in these places and the first plate armor was manufactured and shipped out to other continental European kingdoms. I have yet to come across anything in the later Byzantine sources that describe anything like a blast furnace, much less detailed descriptions of metalworking period.

Blast furnaces are not necessary for making plate mail. If you wanted to make plate mail out of the product of a blast furnace, you had to take the material to a finery forge where it was turned into a bloom. The pig iron produced by a blast furnace is brittle and hard, not malleable enough to be used for wrought iron (without a trip to the finery to make blooms, that is).

The advantage of early blast furnaces was that you could produce much larger amounts of material, but it was in the form of brittle pig iron that required further refinement at the finery to turn it into blooms before it could be utilized. While bloomeries produced blooms direct from smelting, their output was very limited and labour intensive.

Swedish ore could also be used to produce blister steel through the cementation process; this was a property of the natural ore and its low levels of impurities, rather than the blast furnace. The cementation process is a completely different thing altogether. The English or other irons could not be used to make to make steel even after blast furnaces appeared in these places; it was not until the crucible process was developed in 1740 that steel could be made out of any other available product than the Swedish bar iron.

In other words, in the early stages at least, blast furnaces made a difference of quantity, not quality. Sweden had an edge in both, but each for different reasons.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 23:30

I told you I was wrong.

I know dude, no offense! Smile  All in good fun.  Actually, I was just trying to stimulate the discussion.

Where did the Romans then make their swords if not in furnaces?

The Romans probably used some kind of furnace; you are right.  What I meant in reference to the late Byzantine period was if the Byzantines utilized the new technology of the late medieval blast furnace that had been invented in and spread from Scandinavia during the 14th century.

Originally posted by BlindOne

I have also got introdused to Byzantine History from Age of Empires but i still believe that AoE was a bad game in the aspect of Historical accuransy (hey even the muslins had knights and Cavaliers with plate armor, when the muslims never reach the plate armor).

It is a fun game, that's for sure.  But the fact that the expansion did not correct the mistake of medieval European looking units (knights, footsoldiers, archers) being available to all the Asian, Muslim, and indian civs made it really cheesy.  You would think that since they made the buildings appropriate in style to each civ, they would make the units that wal also!  LOL

I believe that the Byzantines produced armor until the late 13th century.

Yes, it is possible that they did not produce any native armor after the 13th century.  This is the era where Michael VIII Palaiologos handed over the all the trading priveleges to the Genoese.  Perhaps the armor was imported through them, like you mentioned.

In the 14th and 15th century the Byzantines didn't accually have an army so there was no need for them to produce any armor of weapons.

What?  Can you be more specific?  Confused

So the really few Byzantines soldiers of the 2 last centuries perhaps looked like the ittalians soldiers.

There were definitely mercenary contingents that originated in Italy.  The Genoese one led by Giustiniani Longo at the siege of 1453 comes to mind.  I am still not convinced that the Byzantine soldiers lost their distinctive "Byzantine look" in the later period.  I could be wrong, though.  The iconography of the military saints from the 13th-15th centuries seems to paint a distinctly Romano-Byzantine picture (no pun intended).

(Well the Church in the east part made a good work by senting the young boys to Monasteries rather than in the military........).

Even worse, the church became increasingly tight-fisted near the end of the Empire.  The emperors needed the huge land holdings that of the church to grant to military pronoiars.  The church resisted, however, since the later emperors were in constant negotians for church union with the Latins.

Originally posted by edgewaters

Blast furnaces are not necessary for making plate mail. If you wanted to make plate mail out of the product of a blast furnace, you had to take the material to a finery forge where it was turned into a bloom. The pig iron produced by a blast furnace is brittle and hard, not malleable enough to be used for wrought iron (without a trip to the finery to make blooms, that is).

So, the normal process was that the blast furnace and finery forge were used in tandem to produce plate mail?  In other words, the blast furnace was not used by itseld to produce the armor, because the product was too brittle.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 02:56

I have also got introdused to Byzantine History from Age of Empires but i still believe that AoE was a bad game in the aspect of Historical accuransy (hey even the muslins had knights and Cavaliers with plate armor, when the muslims never reach the plate armor).

It is a fun game, that's for sure.  But the fact that the expansion did not correct the mistake of medieval European looking units (knights, footsoldiers, archers) being available to all the Asian, Muslim, and indian civs made it really cheesy.  You would think that since they made the buildings appropriate in style to each civ, they would make the units that wal also! 

This goes for the Champion and Two-Handed Swordsman units, but actually the Two-Handed Swordsman look quite cool. And the Knight looked also very good. I used only those units whenever possible...

The Romans probably used some kind of furnace; you are right.  What I meant in reference to the late Byzantine period was if the Byzantines utilized the new technology of the late medieval blast furnace that had been invented in and spread from Scandinavia during the 14th century.

I know one other thing about Scandinavia, swordsmaking and furnaces. In the Seventeenth century, Sweden provided half of the Swords that were made in Europe, I don't know what other places there were but I was astonished by the number of swords they created: it was 6200 or 6800. Seems a small number for the half of Europe.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 05:46

So, the normal process was that the blast furnace and finery forge were used in tandem to produce plate mail? In other words, the blast furnace was not used by itseld to produce the armor, because the product was too brittle.

You could do it that way, or with a bloomery. In other words, you didn't need a blast furnace ... it's just that who had the blast furnace had much more metal, more metal means more smiths, more smiths means more of a smithing industry and consequently a more developed industry, etc etc.

Also you need very good metal for plate armour. Sweden had the only raw ore that was pure enough to produce blister steel. There were ways one could achieve a carbonized alloy using iron from other sources, during the forging process, but it would only be a skin of steel.

The Romans probably used some kind of furnace; you are right. What I meant in reference to the late Byzantine period was if the Byzantines utilized the new technology of the late medieval blast furnace that had been invented in and spread from Scandinavia during the 14th century.

The Romans had bloomeries for iron, and they could cast bronze.

By the time of the Punic Wars they had something else: a tiny ally, the Norici, a Celtic kingdom in present-day Austria. The Norici could make Noric "steel". Like the Swedes, they had deposits of a special ore, consisting of iron and manganese. Using shaft furnaces (not quite a blast furnace, but very similar) they produced a carbon-controlled iron/manganese alloy, effectively a manganese steel (though nowhere near as good as modern carbon-manganese steel, which is one of the strongest, hardest steels produced). Noric steel was far superior to anything else in Europe at the time; Brennus' men had it when they sacked Rome, but it was not long before Rome managed to extend its political sway over this center.

Bit more on ancient steel (and a little on Norici techniques) here:

http://www.psigate.ac.uk/newsite/reference/plambeck/chem2/p02263.htm

In addition to Noricum (and Sweden in later times) there was another region blessed with an ore uniquely suited to ancient metallurgical techniques, in Lakonia, Sparta. I do not know if they were able to produce the equivalent of Noric steel, but it is possible.

Edited by edgewaters - 15-Jul-2006 at 05:53
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 13:57

It is a fun game, that's for sure.  But the fact that the expansion did not correct the mistake of medieval European looking units (knights, footsoldiers, archers) being available to all the Asian, Muslim, and indian civs made it really cheesy.  You would think that since they made the buildings appropriate in style to each civ, they would make the units that wal also!  LOL

It is a fun game for sure, after all i enjoyed it for 5 years, and made my own lagency there Tongue

In the 14th and 15th century the Byzantines didn't accually have an army so there was no need for them to produce any armor of weapons.

What?  Can you be more specific?  Confused

I am talking about native troops. Byzantines had lost their native army in the Katakouzian civil war in the 14 century. After the end of that civil war the native soldiers almost extinguised from the army. Also by that time the Byzantine's couldn't affort to hire much mercenaries due to limited funacials .

So the really few Byzantines soldiers of the 2 last centuries perhaps looked like the ittalians soldiers.

There were definitely mercenary contingents that originated in Italy.  The Genoese one led by Giustiniani Longo at the siege of 1453 comes to mind.  I am still not convinced that the Byzantine soldiers lost their distinctive "Byzantine look" in the later period.  I could be wrong, though.  The iconography of the military saints from the 13th-15th centuries seems to paint a distinctly Romano-Byzantine picture (no pun intended)..

I don't believe that Byzantine iconography is much accurate for armors. There where some good example for which we can drow some inputs, but Byzantine iconography is more traditional that accurateDisapprove 

(Well the Church in the east part made a good work by senting the young boys to Monasteries rather than in the military........).

Even worse, the church became increasingly tight-fisted near the end of the Empire.  The emperors needed the huge land holdings that of the church to grant to military pronoiars.  The church resisted, however, since the later emperors were in constant negotians for church union with the Latins.

Well that's one of the crime that eastern Orthodoxy made againsr the Byzantine statement. But i am talking here about the teaches they made to the population. By that time the priest was teaching that war is a crime and those who died in combat have maded sins. It is the opposite the Pope teach ( that killing an iffindel is not a sin). Today that is hearing to our ears as nice but it was catastrophical then. By the time that the Byzantine army was in the edge of dissapear the young population of the empire prefare to become monks rather soldier, and we all know that the power of an army comes from it native troops, mercanaries are always unrealiable. It is really pathetic to sacrifice your statement in order to oppose the Pope. Angry
 In all that put the conflict between the Church and the goverment in the last 2 centuries for the enosis of the church and you can imagive how few was the native troops, almost no native army.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2006 at 20:07

I am talking about native troops. Byzantines had lost their native army in the Katakouzian civil war in the 14 century. After the end of that civil war the native soldiers almost extinguised from the army. Also by that time the Byzantine's couldn't affort to hire much mercenaries due to limited funacials.

I am sure there was great loss of life during the civil wars; however, both sides called in the aid of foreign mercenaries.  John Kantakouzenos actually preferred Turks over native soldiers and foreigners close to the Byzantines (Serbs, Bulgarians, etc.).  So I am not convinced that native manpower was "extinguished" by severe loss of life in battle.  The Black Plague probably killed many more in the 14th century than the Civil Wars did.  In the end it was probably a combination of plague and Byzantine loss of control over certain territories.

I agree with you about limited funds.  Certainly the emperors were strapped for cash, which was used to pay mercenaries.  This is why the pronoia system developed.  So the emperors had something with which to pay native soldiers (tax-collecting rights and outright grants of land), but they had a limited manpower base from which to draw.

But i am talking here about the teaches they made to the population. By that time the priest was teaching that war is a crime and those who died in combat have maded sins. It is the opposite the Pope teach ( that killing an iffindel is not a sin).Today that is hearing to our ears as nice but it was catastrophical then. By the time that the Byzantine army was in the edge of dissapear the young population of the empire prefare to become monks rather soldier, and we all know that the power of an army comes from it native troops, mercanaries are always unrealiable.

Yes, indeed the Byzantine view of warfare was quite different than that of the Latins and the Muslims.  Their view of warfare was that it was pretty much a "necessary evil" and killing should be avoided at all costs.  The one instance where an emperor tried to establish remission of sins for soldiers who died in battle (i.e. crusade/jihad), the patriarch vehemently opposed it and refused to go along with the demand. 

However, did the Byzantines not acknowledge in the late period that they were in dire straits and that they needed to bolster their defenses?  I guess the more worldly ones did and fought for their lives.  But as you have suggested, many Byzantines acted in typically "Byzantine" fashion at this time, with one foot in the spiritual world and the other in the temporal, only now both feet were pretty much in the spiritual and they turned to the Church in the form of taking monastic vows and donating property.  Thus the Orthodox Church lived on after most the old Byzantine state was demolished.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 06-Aug-2006 at 20:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 01:45
armr damn i want to know more about armor
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 03:52

If you want to know something, then usually it is asked nicely. Also, have you read all the posts? In the beginning of this topic we did indeed discuss something about armour if I am not mistaken.

Byzantine Emperor:

I know the Ottomans did allow other religions to spread in their empire although Islam was the national religion. Didn't they still rip the Orthodox church from properies?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 03:52

If you want to know something, then usually it is asked nicely. Also, have you read all the posts? In the beginning of this topic we did indeed discuss something about armour if I am not mistaken.

Byzantine Emperor:

I know the Ottomans did allow other religions to spread in their empire although Islam was the national religion. Didn't they still rip the Orthodox church from properties?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by gerghoi zukuf

armr damn i want to know more about armor

I am glad to hear that you like armor and want to know more about it!  However, please give us something substantial to discuss.  What do you think about what has already been said on Byzantine armor in terms of its construction and technology?

I know the Ottomans did allow other religions to spread in their empire although Islam was the national religion. Didn't they still rip the Orthodox church from properties?

It is true, moreso for the early period of the Tourkokratia, that the Ottomans were tolerant of Christians and Jews.  The Orthodox Church, especially the Patriarchate in Constantinople, was given a good deal of power and was given the duty of representing the Orthodox people to the Sultan.  When the sultans restricted the Church and imposed penalties on it was when the Patriarchs engaged (or were under suspicion of engaging) in overtly political matters.  For example, the Ottomans were very disapproving of any overtures to and from the Patriarchate concerning ecclesiastical union with Roman Catholics, who were the enemies of the Empire.  As for general rapacity towards Orthodox property, I am sure a good deal of this went on in the provinces since the Ottoman governors were notorious for their greed.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 10-Aug-2006 at 15:30
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 15:50

I am talking about native troops. Byzantines had lost their native army in the Katakouzian civil war in the 14 century. After the end of that civil war the native soldiers almost extinguised from the army. Also by that time the Byzantine's couldn't affort to hire much mercenaries due to limited funacials.

I am sure there was great loss of life during the civil wars; however, both sides called in the aid of foreign mercenaries.  John Kantakouzenos actually preferred Turks over native soldiers and foreigners close to the Byzantines (Serbs, Bulgarians, etc.).  So I am not convinced that native manpower was "extinguished" by severe loss of life in battle.  The Black Plague probably killed many more in the 14th century than the Civil Wars did.  In the end it was probably a combination of plague and Byzantine loss of control over certain territories.

I agree with you about limited funds.  Certainly the emperors were strapped for cash, which was used to pay mercenaries.  This is why the pronoia system developed.  So the emperors had something with which to pay native soldiers (tax-collecting rights and outright grants of land), but they had a limited manpower base from which to draw.

But i am talking here about the teaches they made to the population. By that time the priest was teaching that war is a crime and those who died in combat have maded sins. It is the opposite the Pope teach ( that killing an iffindel is not a sin).Today that is hearing to our ears as nice but it was catastrophical then. By the time that the Byzantine army was in the edge of dissapear the young population of the empire prefare to become monks rather soldier, and we all know that the power of an army comes from it native troops, mercanaries are always unrealiable.

Yes, indeed the Byzantine view of warfare was quite different than that of the Latins and the Muslims.  Their view of warfare was that it was pretty much a "necessary evil" and killing should be avoided at all costs.  The one instance where an emperor tried to establish remission of sins for soldiers who died in battle (i.e. crusade/jihad), the patriarch vehemently opposed it and refused to go along with the demand. 

However, did the Byzantines not acknowledge in the late period that they were in dire straits and that they needed to bolster their defenses?  I guess the more worldly ones did and fought for their lives.  But as you have suggested, many Byzantines acted in typically "Byzantine" fashion at this time, with one foot in the spiritual world and the other in the temporal, only now both feet were pretty much in the spiritual and they turned to the Church in the form of taking monastic vows and donating property.  Thus the Orthodox Church lived on after most the old Byzantine state was demolished.

Apologies for the really late respond.

Although i agree with you that the manpower did exist there was many factors that didn't allow the Byzantine emperor to create a native profetional army as it was in the past.

Until now i have mentioned the civil wars the limited funds and the Church teaches (for the last i will still mention some thinks).

Some others problems that i forgot to mention in my previous post was the following:
 a) After the 4th crusade the Byzantines lost their union. They wasn't the one big and powerfull empire of the past. Four states have been created The empire of Nicea, of Trapezounta, of Eperus and of Peloponisus. from them only the Peloponisus and Nicea manage to unite again. In the lands that once belonged to the Empire now there was others too. Latins, Serbs, Bulgarians and Turks in the East.
b) The "underworld Battle" that raged in the Byzantine society. I mean the fight between the Church and the Official  goverment (the Emperor). Many Emperors in their effort to gain help from the west they accepted to accept the Pope was the prime ruler of the Church. That make the Patriarchs really furius .

So i claim that the Byzantine native army was extinguished ( well i should had better sayed redused by a huge level) for the follow reasons:
a) Civil war
b)Plague
c) The non existance of crusade spirit
d) The empire was divided and didn't have access to the people that lived in lands that have been occupited by the Latins, Serbs, Bulgarians, turks and other Byzantine (hellenic) statement (eperus for example) that was hostile to the Empire of Nicea.
e) The "civil" war between the church and the Emperors (well some of them).

Hm i want to mention that still the Greek church believe that the last emperor was a heretic and an enemy of her, that's why he haven't become a Saint (although he is really well accepted by the modern greeks).

Well perhaps Plethon was right, but then it was too late..

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 14:44

For a continuation of the above discussion on the creation of a native army in the late Byzantine period, see my Late Byzantine Military thread, page 6.

Let's return to the economic and technological aspect of Byzantine metalworking in the late period...

I am trying to think of economic reasons why the Byzantines no longer constructed armor in the 14th-15th century. I think they still had control of mines in the later period, where they would get the metal materials to create the armor. But the mines increasingly came under the control of private operators and the Byzantine government simply regulated the charges for their use. Iron ore mines seem to have been located in the Taurus Mountains (Asia Minor), islands in the Hellespont, and near Thessalonika, from evidence of the Middle Period. Mines in the Balkans were established after the re-conquest of Constantinople in 1261.

As far as technology goes, it seems the Byzantines had small-scale and archaic methods for mining (again from Middle Period evidence). However, this is really interesting, Byzantines near Propontis used a process akin to the Catalan's bloomery hearth. Byzantines used smelting furnaces and bellows in their blacksmith shops. Cardinal Bessarion notes the existence of iron mines in the 15th century, but that the Byzantines did not have the latest in technology to extract the ore.

Check this article out for more info:

Byzantine Mining, by Klaus-Peter Matschke

So what can we infer using this information? The article suggests that the Byzantines had control of some mines, be it imperial or private (contracted?) control. Despite a lack of new technology, they could still make the pig iron and other materials needed for the klibanion, theoretically. Importing plate and other western European armor was probably very expensive, since the Italians had hijacked Byzantine shipping and nearly put native shipping out of business.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 04:07
Economical reasons? I think that some good ones would be:

1) I think creating weapons is both: costly in money and time.

Originally posted by BE

As far as technology goes, it seems the Byzantines had small-scale and archaic methods for mining

Indeed? What were they? Dig with their hands or a pick-axe?

Originally posted by BE

they could still make the pig iron and other materials needed for the klibanion, theoretically

Theoretically, they wouldn't have any use of klibanion for you'd need a person to put it on. So you make a klibanion and sell it to Trebizond?

Couldn't the Orthodox church have ordered other Orthodox areas to 'give in armour and money' or else something evil happens to you because the Constantinople protect we must.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 14:17

1) I think creating weapons is both: costly in money and time.

Yes, I agree.  We all know that Byzantium (and Trebizond, but to a lesser extent) was a steady supply of money in the late period.  But then again, they did have money (cash) to pay for mercenaries.  I think this was a result of the practicality of the pronoia institution.  Why then could some of this money go towards augmenting the native arms industry?  To use the cliche "necessity is the mother of invention," or in this case innovation.

Indeed? What were they? Dig with their hands or a pick-axe?

The author points out that mining operations had devolved into the hands of private owners in the late period.  For technology, Cardinal Bessarion noted that the Byzantines had not acquired "water-powered bellows and mechanical mills for extracting ores and processing metals," in the 15th century.  But they did have "iron mining and smelting furnaces." 

So as to what they did use, we would need the opinion of some of the more informed members such as edgewaters.  Perhaps they were still using some old Roman methods.  As edgewaters pointed out, they did not need the finery forge to produce some plate armor.  And it seems the Byzantines did have the forge technology (Catalan?) to produce pig iron and thus lower-quality plate.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 23:35
I enjoyed the discourse of furnaces at the very beginning of this thread and had a few questions that relate to this discussion. I know that none in here are black smiths or metalurgists but maybe somebody can answer this question for me. Do we know how the swords of Byzantine were forged? By this I mean do we know the alloys that were used? If not can somebody point me in the direction of possible sources?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>