Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel
    Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by Komnenos

It is indeed.
It demonstrates the hate on both sides, so deeply entrenched that it will take a miracle to solve the situation.
That this poor 6 (?) year old boy, who has been brainwashed by his elders to throw stones at Israeli tanks and thus endanger his life, will ever be prepared to live in peace with his Jewish neighbours, will necessitate a complete rethinking, on both sides of course.
But it's not impossible, South-Africa has shown that it can be achieved.

And if an Israeli believes all the land they occoupy is their land, are they not brainwashed?

Edited by Afghanan - 12-Aug-2006 at 12:20
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:27
Damage Done to Lebanese Coast
By Mark Kinver - Science and nature reporter, BBC News

Lebanon's coastline could take up to 10 years to recover from a massive oil spill, the nation's environment minister has said.

Yacoub Sarraf said it was impossible to tackle the problem while the conflict between Hezbollah and Israel continued.

Marine experts have warned the spill could pose a cancer risk to people living in the affected areas.

The oil slick caused by Israeli bombing of a power station now covers 120km (75 miles) of the region's coasts.

Mr Sarraf said the delay had already severely affected the Lebanese shores.

"The damage has been done. It goes without saying that the whole fishing community will be hit for at least two or three years before the ecosystem re-establishes itself," he told BBC News.

"The tourism sector has also been hit for one or two seasons, and I am being very optimistic.

"But worse, if we do not intervene as soon as possible, the spill that is still floating off the coast of Lebanon could return and hit the shores again."

Mr Sarraf added that until there was a ceasefire, it would be impossible to begin any clean-up operation.

"We cannot get equipment, companies, labour or know-how to handle the problem," he said.

"If you compare this to any spill in history, intervention can help within the first 48-72 hours of the spill; we are already 20 days too late."

'Cancer risk'

The experts warned that the first people at risk from the "toxic spray" were the two million inhabitants of Beirut.

They also said that large quantities of dead fish along Lebanon's shores had been killed by the oil pollution.

A spokeswoman for Unep's Mediterranean Action Plan (MAP) said it was too early to judge the impact of the pollution on the area's environment.

"It is premature to derive any conclusion on the type of oil and the potential health impacts before having conducted a sample analysis of the spill," said Luisa Colasimone.

"No conclusion can be done at this stage before we have people on the ground".

She added that a team of UN experts had arrived in Syria on Tuesday and one of their tasks would be to take samples of the oil spill.

Basma Badran, a Beirut-based spokeswoman for Greenpeace, said no clean-up operation would get under way until workers' safety could be guaranteed.

"It is an extremely risky task to make the proper assessment while under fire," she told BBC News.

"Several countries are on stand-by to send technical and expert assistance if the safety of their supplies and teams can be guaranteed."

Ms Badran added that international help was essential because the Lebanese authorities lacked any capacity to deal with such a large spill.

The Lebanese environment minister said the latest satellite images showed the oil slick was continuing to spread across the eastern Mediterranean Sea, threatening the coastlines of Turkey and possibly Cyprus.

However, a spokesman for Turkey's prime minister said the risk to the country's shores was "fairly limited", but aircraft were carrying out regular monitoring flights and that naval vessels were ready to deploy floating barriers if needed.

Marine experts from Inforac, an organisation with links to the United Nations Environment Programme (Unep), issued a warning on Tuesday that the raid on the Jiyyeh Power plant in mid-July could pose a cancer risk to people living in the area.

Spokeswoman Simonetta Lombardo said the spill of fuel oil was a "high-risk toxic cocktail made up of substances which cause cancer and damage to the endocrine system".

Source: 

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:56
Is it impossible? Or are there just some ... morons (sorry but I can't find a lesser denomination) who think it's impossible.
Just take a good ... look at ourselves. What is it that makes us what we are? Hate? Greed? "Freedom"? "Holocaust"? "The Prophet"? "Christ"? "Buddha"? "Shiva"? Nukes? Tanks? MG's?...there seem to be no end to this list. Or is it? And we are so dumb that we are incapable to find it?
I'll take Omar al Hashim as a good example. He's a muslim. I've came down on top of him in religious related topics since I'm an agnostic. Yet it seems that he doesn't hold me as an enemy of him and I certainly don't think of him as being my foe. I would rather have him as a neighbour than Ponce or Genghis.
So what's it gonna be for Israel and Palestine? Extermination?
"Israel has the right to defend itself". I agree but that does not mean that Israel has the right to wipe out anyone else who doesn't carry a David's star.
"Palestinians have the right to have a homeland". They certainly do but not by killing people (Israelis).
This should not be a matter of who killed who, this should turn into what is to be done so that no more people get killed. Unfortunately it seems to me that people are really enjoying the slaughter. Isn't it funny to watch it on CNN and then post some very wise lines on a forum?Dead
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 16:20
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

And thats a good post too Cezar. I'm going to nominate that.
I do believe that the only way to solve this peacefully is for Israel to become multi-ethnic, even if it is impossible.
That this poor 6 (?) year old boy, who has been brainwashed by his elders to throw stones at Israeli tanks and thus endanger his life,

I don't think he requires any brainwashing. And his elders would surely be very upset if they knew that he was risking death like that.
Can you imagine what his mother must think?

Israel is already one of the most multi-ethnic countries in the world, but maybe not in the wholesome way that some of us can identify in our respective countries. It is like South Africa and the apartheid.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by Afghanan

And if an Israeli believes all the land they occoupy is their land, are they not brainwashed?

Absolutely, as I said on the previous page.

]Employing children as soldiers or suicide bombers is surely not a Palestinain monopoly, it's only a few years ago when you could see similar pictures on Northern-Irish streets, and I'm sure the Israeli indoctrinate their kids as well, but the pictures clearly show how deeply rooted the mutual animosity and distrusst must be, when children in their infant years learn nothing but to hate the other side.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 01:53
Making of a Suicide bomber

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5980262910298128220

Has anyone watched this?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 03:12

Are you trying to say that a six year old is so politically aware that he decides to take up resistance against the Israeli occupiers?

Yes. Don't underestimate children. Too many people do it. When I was 6 I divided up my plastic army men into two sides, Bosnia and Serbia, and had the bosnians beat the serbs. I was just watching TV. That kid is experiencing first hand the Israeli occupation.
Here, you give a 8 year old a plastic gun and he'll dress up as a soldier. In palestine, its no surprise that he will dress up as a member of Hamas or Islamic Jihad.
I know of a story where a mother didn't want her sons exposed to any violence, so she didn't let them have any toy guns, or swords or similar. So they bite their pieces of toast into the shape of guns and ran around shooting at each other.
Children aren't stupid. They need no more motivation to throw stones at Israeli tanks than a 19 year old.
Originally posted by Cezar

I'll take Omar al Hashim as a good example. He's a muslim. I've came down on top of him in religious related topics since I'm an agnostic. Yet it seems that he doesn't hold me as an enemy of him and I certainly don't think of him as being my foe. I would rather have him as a neighbour than Ponce or Genghis.

lol, I'll take that as a complement. I certainly don't think your any sort of foe.
Another great post. I agree with you.
Originally posted by BGTurk

Has anyone watched this?

There is something quite inspiring about seeing a guy take on the IDF with nothing but a slingshot, - not even a shirt.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 06:53
Its amazing what kids do. And apparently there are people here who actually think that Palestinians would place there kids in harms way deliberativly. Its all part of the de humanising experience, and its sad that it works on history buffs since accusing the enemy of being baby killers and hiding behind women and children has a long and distinguished history.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 22:07
Satellite pictures of the effects of "targetted strikes against Hezbollah positions" with "U.S. smart bombs" in Beirut. A little comparrison to NYC for good measure.

Burn in hell, burn in hell, burn in hell.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 02:33
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by arch.buff

From my knowledge on the issue this above post by Duke is exactly correct. Israel was founded to create a safe homeland for Jews worldwide, and in the begining Israel was at a serious disadvantage. Just think if the Arab didnt start the conflict in the first place then would there be any?

So do they teach you in history book that the earliest colonists and the government of the United States had the right to massacre some Native American tribes and force them to move west, because the American colonies were founded to create a safe homeland for religious prosecuted Christians worldwide, and if those American tribes moved to west peacefully and if the Seminole did not fight, they would have not lost their lands, people and pushed out as losers?

I hope you see the flaws of such argument.

As long as youre using examples you might want add in that those colonists were once a nation there long before the indians, that is if you want to make a accurate example as pertained to the Israeli/Palestinian issue.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 02:37
Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by DukeC

Originally posted by Mila

The more land Israel attempts to conquer, cleanse of its inhabitants, and colonize - the worse its situation will be. The situation since 1967 has been immeasurably worse than the situation between 1948-1967. If Israel attempts to claim more territory in Arabia, it will simply create an even larger refugee population, in ever larger and more desperate refugee camps, with an even larger desire to destroy the country and reclaim everything that was taken from them.

This just isn't historically accurate Mila. Israel was originally created to provide a safe homeland for Jews worldwide, not create an empire. The growth of Israel is directly related to the attempts by it's Arab neighbor to destroy it. You can't use the Balkan experience to describe the middle-east. In most of the early wars Israel was the underdog, less well armed and smaller forces than it's opponents. It was the determination of the Israelis to resist that was the driving force that created the country not the desire to dominate that you seem to believe. After the near defeat in 1973 the Israeli outlook changed, no longer was defence seen to be enough. The IDF took a much more agressive stance towards threats and in the early 1980s invaded Lebanon to evict the PLO guerillas operating there. It wasn't to colonize it was to sanitize.

From my knowledge on the issue this above post by Duke is exactly correct. Israel was founded to create a safe homeland for Jews worldwide, and in the begining Israel was at a serious disadvantage. Just think if the Arab didnt start the conflict in the first place then would there be any? I know its not that easy and some Arab Palestinians were forced into refugee camps and this is unfortunate but from a religious standpoint(among others) Israel has a right to survive and mark my words there be many more that will rise against Israel. This has all been foretold. Not to sound like a religious nutLOL My opinion of Israels existance goes more in depth than just Bible prophecies.

Sorry, but actually it doesnt most of the times. I suspect u also believe that the world was creatde 10000 yrs ago.

Im happy to hear that you are so interested in my beliefs. I wish I could say the same for yours.Wink
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 03:19
Finally a ceasefire has been declared!

Unfrotunately, for this Lebanese kid it came too late.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 03:49
Originally posted by Arch.buff

As long as youre using examples you might want add in that those colonists were once a nation there long before the indians, that is if you want to make a accurate example as pertained to the Israeli/Palestinian issue.

No. They weren't. Its like the colonists pretended to be, even believed they were an ancient Indian tribe.
Most Israeli's are from Eastern Europe. They are the decendents of Khazar converts. No relation to the bunni Israel (who are most likely the palestinians)

Finally a ceasefire has been declared!

Yes! Ceasefire. Is it holding? Our news won't start for another 40 min.
But more importantly....

this means Hezbullah won

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Aug-2006 at 03:50
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:11
7 news reports that its holding after a heavy last minute barrage by both sides.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Aug-2006 at 04:11
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 04:22

Originally posted by Arch.buff

As long as youre using examples you might want add in that those colonists were once a nation there long before the indians, that is if you want to make a accurate example as pertained to the Israeli/Palestinian issue.

No. They weren't. Its like the colonists pretended to be, even believed they were an ancient Indian tribe.
Most Israeli's are from Eastern Europe. They are the decendents of Khazar converts. No relation to the bunni Israel (who are most likely the palestinians)

Not saying youre wrong here but can this be proven Omar?

Good to see theres a ceasefire. Lets hope it lasts longer than a few days.....
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 06:05

Not saying youre wrong here but can this be proven Omar?

Apart from the fact that trying to prove it would be extremely controversial as the Israelis naturally want to maintain the myth that they were living their 2000 years ago. I think it could by DNA of course, but here is my logic:

2000 years ago the population in Palestine was Jewish. But after the prophet Jesus a few started to convert to Christianity, slowly at first. The jewish revolts and subsequent diasporas spread the population throughout the Roman Empire and the middle east, but imporantly, cannot possibly have displaced more people than those who stayed behind - just like the current Palestinian diaspora. The population after the diaspora was still jewish and christian, and therefore still the same people who lived there before the diaspora.
As christianity gained in power and influence more and more jews converted to christianity, until the time of the Arab conquests when palestine was majority christian, but with a large jewish minority. The arabs were always outnumbered by their other middle eastern counterparts so a large scale migration into palestine at the time after Arab conquest is simply impossible. Islam then began to take converts from both Juadism and Christianity until there was a muslim majority with a christian minority and a smaller Jewish minority. This was still the case in 1900. There were a large number of left over Crusaders that had been thrown into the ethnic mix of the region but most of them were in Lebanon, and again, did not replace the population.
So by the time of the zionist migrations beginning in the early 20th centuary. The palestinian population must have the decendents of the people who lived in Israel in 5 BC (the bunni Israel)

Now the Jews. A large population of Israeli are jews from eastern europe. Poland, Russia, the Ukraine. We know that a large number of Jews were spread throughout the Roman empire, but that does not account for jews in eastern europe. The romans never controlled those areas and the chances that jews fleeing persecution in western europe would go to eastern europe where they were even more persecuted is highly remote. The are much much more likely to flee to Iraq during pre-Islamic times, or to Spain post Islamic. (Andalucia we know had a very large jewish population). I think most would have run to spain, since this is an ex-roman provence where jews could live freely.
The Khazar turks who controlled Ukraine converted to Judaism in about 700AD. Much of the population would have followed, as following the royalties religon is highly common. Over the next 1200 years, it is highly likely that a significant proportion of the population would have stayed in the same region, ie Eastern Europe. Which would easily account for high numbers of East european jews, who account for a high percentage of the Israeli population.

Therefore we can state that:
the Palestinian population is highly likely to be decendent from the bunni Israel
the Israeli population, while some must be decendent from the bunni Israel, is largly decendent from the completely unrelated Khazar Turks. Whose ancestors have never lived in Palestine.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 14-Aug-2006 at 06:07
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 08:52

Most Israeli's are from Eastern Europe. They are the decendents of Khazar converts. No relation to the bunni Israel (who are most likely the palestinians).

Sorry Omar, here you are completely wrong.
Virtually all Eastern European Jews , the Ashkenazi, are the descendants of Western and Central European Jewish people who during the Middle Ages, having been expelled, migrated further East, to Poland and today's Russia, both countries that were then far more tolerant than the rest of Europe.
That the remnants of the Khazar Jews might have contributed to the Eastern European Jewish gene-pool on a small scale, is possible, but so far has not been proven. By the time large scale immigration from the West arrived, the Khazars were long gone.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 08:55

Omar, please never let facts get in the way of realpolitic.

Anyways, the present ceasefire is untennable, its giving Israel through diplomacy what it could not earn on the battlefield i.e a Hizb withrawl. History shows that to be a bad idea.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 08:56
It's true, Omar. Even Bosnia's Jews, which are Sephardic and Eastern in every sense of these words (they even have unflattering nicknames for Ashkenazi), came from Western Europe - mainly from Spain in the general sense of Bosnia, mainly from Portugal specifically in Sarajevo.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 08:59
I think Hezbollah has won this war in every way that Hezbollah could win this war. It now has tremendous public support from the Lebanese people, including the Christians. It now has tremendous humanitarian endeavors it can carry out (reconstruction, etc.) - which is the means it has always used to cement its support. Those two factors alone ensure it is going nowhere, and will be even stronger.

So bravo, Israel's right. You accomplished exactly what you needed to accomplish to ensure peace is a long way off and won't possibly come before you're done annexing the occupied territories with illegal colonies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 41>