Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel vs Lebanon, the sequel
    Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Mila

Even if the majority of Israelis and Palestinians wish to establish a peace, there are simply too many issues to ensure that peace lasts.

There will always be Israeli nationalists who wish to establish a state that encompasses the entire Holy Land - and they will always have a position of power in the Israeli government.

There will always be Palestinian refugees who will do anything to return to the homes they were evicted from so recently many can still remember them. This is especially evident in the occupied territories, where evictions and colonization continues today.

But it also evident in Israel proper. There are thousands of people from Jaffa (today's Tel Aviv) who will never stop fighting until Tel Aviv is destroyed and they are allowed to return to their homes.

It doesn't matter what the Israelis or Palestinians do en masse, there will always be Jewish fanatics and Palestinian refugees willing to fight.

The only logical course of action is for Israel to work to make that number as small as possible, not grow it by thousands every year.

Peace isn't impossible in the region, it's just difficult to achieve, that makes it all the more valuable when they do so. The responsibility is with all parties not just one to make the effort, Israel can't do it alone. If the Muslim nations support for a Palestinian homeland is more than just rhetoric they'll stop using the conflict for political purposes and help to find a way to end it.

Edited by DukeC - 11-Aug-2006 at 13:35
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 16:35
Actually Israel can do it alone if it wanted to.  But it chooses not to.  Isreal is holding all the cards.  It holds the cards for peace, that is for it to dismantle all of the ILLEGAL settlements in the West Bank, give back the Golan Heights back, and portions of Souther Lebanon which it still holds.

It chooses not to, because like the US, there are lots of Jewish Fundamentalist special interest groups that will not allow peace in the region.

This is the map of Israel & Palestine we all think is real:

This is what it looks like in reality:

I think most of the settlements in Gaza and a few on the West bank have been dismantled, but brand new ones are springing up around East Jerusalem.  Furthermore, this map does not show the new Walls that Sharon had put up all over the Occupied territory.  Its a new plan by the fundamentalist Zionists to take all of East Jerusalem and even more land away from the Palestinians.

Edited by Afghanan - 11-Aug-2006 at 16:41
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 17:19

Israel has security needs which dominate all other needs when there's a percieved threat. As long as there's no peace with Hamas, Hezbollah and other groups/nations the Israelis aren't going to move. They've been attacked too many times in the past to trust in the good will of their neighbors.

The first goal is to get the different parties to stop fighting, then bring them together to find a compromise. This means including everybody who's involved including the Iranians who are arming Hezbollah.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by DukeC

Israel has security needs which dominate all other needs when there's a percieved threat.

Can you clarify to me what security needs do the illegal settlements in the West Bank meet?
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 17:30
Look at the map Afghanan provided, then consider what a Palestinian nation armed the way Hezbollah is would mean to the security of Israel. There would be few places in Israel that would be safe from attack.

Edited by DukeC - 11-Aug-2006 at 17:32
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 17:49

Look at the map Afghanan provided, then consider what a Palestinian nation armed the way Hezbollah is would mean to the security of Israel. There would be few places in Israel that would be safe from attack.

So you have looked at the maps Afghanan provied and somehow you reached the conlcusion that the reasion why Israel is shipping settlers to the occupied areas, is to prevent terrorists from firing at it?

The truth is glaring you in the face, and you still cannot see! The Israeli actions in Palestine and Lebanon have nothing to do with security, they are all acts of land grab, and the settlements are a tool to lend legitimacy to this immoral act in any future negotiations.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 18:05
I look at the map provided by Afghanan and see that a well armed Palestinian force in conjuction with outside forces could be decisive if there was another attack on Israel. Israel wouldn't have the time or space to mobilize it's reserves and would be cut in two. Until there's a meaningful political agreement between the Palestinian leadership and Israel as well as other nations and groups like Iran and Hezbollah it will very hard to sell a fully independent Palestinian state in the West Bank/Gaza to Israeli citizens. Even if many aren't right-wing and don't support the settlement program they are sensitive to the security needs of the country.

Edited by DukeC - 11-Aug-2006 at 18:07
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:21
Well, the Israelis have taken control of Marjayoun, perhaps the first major town in southern Lebanon to be fully occupied. 3,000 civilians and 350 Lebanese soldiers were forced out in a large convoy, which was - of course - targetted by Israeli drones once it was out of the city. 6 civilians were killed.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:38

^ We agree. You're not willing to condemn Israel fully because of these groups, I'm not willing to let them off the hook fully because of them.

I support Israel because the role it plays in protecting and giving sanctuary for Jews worldwide. I hope for peace in the region because I believe that everybody there has the right to live in dignity.

Are there jews in Canada??????????

Does Cananda discriminate against jews???????????????

Do jews have right to dignity, life, property, worship in Canada??????????

Edited by malizai_ - 11-Aug-2006 at 19:38
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:46
edit:delete

Edited by malizai_ - 11-Aug-2006 at 19:52
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by arch.buff

The more land Israel attempts to conquer, cleanse of its inhabitants, and colonize - the worse its situation will be. The situation since 1967 has been immeasurably worse than the situation between 1948-1967. If Israel attempts to claim more territory in Arabia, it will simply create an even larger refugee population, in ever larger and more desperate refugee camps, with an even larger desire to destroy the country and reclaim everything that was taken from them.

This just isn't historically accurate Mila. Israel was originally created to provide a safe homeland for Jews worldwide, not create an empire. The growth of Israel is directly related to the attempts by it's Arab neighbor to destroy it. You can't use the Balkan experience to describe the middle-east. In most of the early wars Israel was the underdog, less well armed and smaller forces than it's opponents. It was the determination of the Israelis to resist that was the driving force that created the country not the desire to dominate that you seem to believe. After the near defeat in 1973 the Israeli outlook changed, no longer was defence seen to be enough. The IDF took a much more agressive stance towards threats and in the early 1980s invaded Lebanon to evict the PLO guerillas operating there. It wasn't to colonize it was to sanitize.

From my knowledge on the issue this above post by Duke is exactly correct. Israel was founded to create a safe homeland for Jews worldwide, and in the begining Israel was at a serious disadvantage. Just think if the Arab didnt start the conflict in the first place then would there be any? I know its not that easy and some Arab Palestinians were forced into refugee camps and this is unfortunate but from a religious standpoint(among others) Israel has a right to survive and mark my words there be many more that will rise against Israel. This has all been foretold. Not to sound like a religious nutLOL My opinion of Israels existance goes more in depth than just Bible prophecies.

Sorry, but actually it doesnt most of the times. I suspect u also believe that the world was creatde 10000 yrs ago.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 19:54

^ We agree. You're not willing to condemn Israel fully because of these groups, I'm not willing to let them off the hook fully because of them.

I support Israel because the role it plays in protecting and giving sanctuary for Jews worldwide. I hope for peace in the region because I believe that everybody there has the right to live in dignity.

Does Cananda discriminate against jews???????????????

Yes there are Jewish people in Canada.

There are laws that protect all groups from hate crime and discrimnation in Canada.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 20:16

If you start from the viewpoint that Israel doesn't have the right to exist any action it takes is going to be wrong. Much of what has been done  by Israel has been in the name of defence, something that can't be said for some of it's opponents. Would you be at all upset if one of the many attempts to wipe Israel off the map had succeeded?

It doesn't have anything at all to do with viewpoint. You bombed serbia without questioning their 'right to exist'. You bombed Iraq without questioning their 'right to exist'. You bombed the Taliban without questioning their 'right to exist'. Why don't you be fair and bomb Israel too?
Palestine was never a nation,

Shocked The palestinians, whether they be pagan, jewish, christian or muslim have been living there since before recorded history. They have been a nation many times.
this doesn't mean the people displaced by war don't deserve a homeland.

They deserve and probably will not settle for anything less than their homes. Imagine if the palestinians decided to invade and capture NE USA, subsequently cleansing the region of all former inhabitances. How would you feel if you had been kicked off your home, and someone said that to you?
We could go on forever with who started what

ShockedForever? It has a clear beginning in the 1880's when Zionists sat around a table in Vienna and decided to invade Palestine!
and who was the most violent etc

The most violent? The arabs don't even have the opportunity to be more violent! Sit up and smell the roses, Israels violence far exceeds anything the palestinians have ever done.
If the Muslim nations support for a Palestinian homeland is more than just rhetoric they'll stop using the conflict for political purposes and help to find a way to end it.

There I agree. Only Syria and Iran seem to be helping the palestinians in anyway.
Originally posted by bg_Turk

Can you clarify to me what security needs do the illegal settlements in the West Bank meet?

Yes, clarify it to me too Duke.
There would be few places in Israel that would be safe from attack.

There are no places in Palestine safe from Israeli attack.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 20:32
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

If you start from the viewpoint that Israel doesn't have the right to exist any action it takes is going to be wrong. Much of what has been done  by Israel has been in the name of defence, something that can't be said for some of it's opponents. Would you be at all upset if one of the many attempts to wipe Israel off the map had succeeded?

It doesn't have anything at all to do with viewpoint. You bombed serbia without questioning their 'right to exist'. You bombed Iraq without questioning their 'right to exist'. You bombed the Taliban without questioning their 'right to exist'. Why don't you be fair and bomb Israel too?
Palestine was never a nation,

Shocked The palestinians, whether they be pagan, jewish, christian or muslim have been living there since before recorded history. They have been a nation many times.
this doesn't mean the people displaced by war don't deserve a homeland.

They deserve and probably will not settle for anything less than their homes. Imagine if the palestinians decided to invade and capture NE USA, subsequently cleansing the region of all former inhabitances. How would you feel if you had been kicked off your home, and someone said that to you?
We could go on forever with who started what

ShockedForever? It has a clear beginning in the 1880's when Zionists sat around a table in Vienna and decided to invade Palestine!
and who was the most violent etc

The most violent? The arabs don't even have the opportunity to be more violent! Sit up and smell the roses, Israels violence far exceeds anything the palestinians have ever done.
If the Muslim nations support for a Palestinian homeland is more than just rhetoric they'll stop using the conflict for political purposes and help to find a way to end it.

There I agree. Only Syria and Iran seem to be helping the palestinians in anyway.
Originally posted by bg_Turk

Yes, clarify it to me too Duke.
There would be few places in Israel that would be safe from attack.

There are no places in Palestine safe from Israeli attack.

I hear so much of what's wrong with Israels position, I'd like to hear in clear terms(let's leave the history out of it for a moment) what you think should be done that will take into account the needs of everyone involved.

Does your solution include the existance of an Israeli state?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 20:57

Does Canada discriminate against jews???????????????

Yes there are Jewish people in Canada.

There are laws that protect all groups from hate crime and discrimination in Canada.

And the Jews worldwide for the reasons u cited earlier could just as easily settle in Canada. So being in Palestine is not an absolute, unless..., there are.., well....shall we say other priorities as well.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 22:09

And the Jews worldwide for the reasons u cited earlier could just as easily settle in Canada. So being in Palestine is not an absolute, unless..., there are.., well....shall we say other priorities as well.

Meanwhile back in reality, that's never going to happen. Not because they wouldn't be welcome but because most Israelis would not be willing to leave.

Edited by DukeC - 11-Aug-2006 at 22:11
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 22:13

Meanwhile back in reality, that's never going to happen. Not because they wouldn't be welcome but because most Israelis would not be willing to leave.

Neither are the Palestinians.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 22:53
Israel's economy emerges unscathed from the conflict:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5244618.stm

Lebanon's economy completely shattered
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5209502.stm

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:04

Neither are the Palestinians.

I don't hear anyone calling for the removal of the Palestinians, but removing the Israelis is a goal for many Palestinians and others. An all or nothing approach ends up in the mess we're in now. It also strengthens the Israeli right who can say any means is justified because the nations survival is at stake.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:11

I don't hear anyone calling for the removal of the Palestinians, but removing the Israelis is a goal for many Palestinians and others. An all or nothing approach ends up in the mess we're in now. It also strengthens the Israeli right who can say any means is justified because the nations survival is at stake.

You do not hear for the removal of the palestinians for two reasons.

One, because they have already been removed from most of Israel proper.

Two, because you do not wish to hear about it. Israeli politicians, members of parliament, and even ministers have on many occasions advocated the "transfer" of Palestianians to neighbouring Arab lands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 41>