Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst dialect to come ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst dialect to come ??
    Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 20:57
Ok, Im sure this has crossed your minds at one point or another, especially if you live in America as I do.
There is a horrible dialect (as if Americans are already for the most part not very well spoken) that is surfacing now with the help of modern technology through mainly music.  I do not intend for this to seem racist in any way because it isnt my intentions. However, the dialect Im referring to is that of the mainstream of Rap music and its followers. English Slang.
I use Rap as an example for which its heard mostly but most kids growing up here are also in complete awareness of this new "slang dialect" emerging. Moreso, they are using it. I really dont have to list words for example because I think most of you have an idea of what im talking about... In any case, these new slang words  (which are MANY) are coming to use in modern day English and if you are from overseas (outside American terf) and arent aware of this slang dialect, you would not understand what someone is talking about , ok maybe not so much now but in the future ..... what will it turn into? Ugh,,... i guess what Im trying to ask is if anyone else sees this pattern of the English language alterations and what is your opinion of the matter of whats yet to come if the English langauge turns to more than 50% of total (rediculous) slang.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 21:00
You'll be no worse off than the Russians, Ukrainians, and Southern Slavs. ;)

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 04:47
Did people in the sixties not fear the same? It will either dissappear or we'll get used to it. In another 20 years, children will wonder about the intensely outdated words their parents use when trying to be 'hip'.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 12:21
In the 40s and 50s it was Jive, which was even more difficult to understand. Many parents and teachers were convinced that jive would take over the general language, it didn't and hardly anyone remembers it today.

Edited by red clay - 12-Jul-2006 at 22:46
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 15:48
Some people in the Netherlands are worrying about the 'polder-ij', a specific pronounciation of the ij, a Dutch character/ligature. The correct pronounciation resembles 'ey' in the Spanish word rey, but many people pronounce it like 'i' in the English word like, or like 'ei' in the German word ein.
I think it's a bit silly to be worried about that, though I think this wrong pronounciation sounds uglier than the original one.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 07:00

Here's the stone bible for you to collar that apple trickeration that will truly get your boots on!  Say all you cats and chicks,  don't be icky. Bust your conk on this mess and you'll be wailin' with the mellows.

Introduction to the Jive Dictionary.  Roughly translated it says- Here's the truth, the source, for you to be able to understand the Harlem talk that will put you in the know.  Say all you men and women, don't be stupid.  Read and think about these writings and you'll be fine.  Big smile

This is where the Hip Hop slang grew from, or at least it was greatly influenced by it.

If anyone happens to go to WIKI. the definition they have for jive confuses it with Ebonics. This is not Ebonics! Also known as African American English Vernacular, ebonics is something very different.Wink 

Edited by red clay - 15-Jul-2006 at 07:01
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 01:01
LOL Atleast that was back when they had some rythem goin' on!
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 22:02
I was talking about this very topic the other day to a friend of mine.  We were both remarking how a kid we knew who was into rap would use all of these slang terms and we couldn't understand a thing he was saying.  Like other people have said it will probably become the new vernacular english or die out.  Compare the english of Shakespeare to that we are using today.  Personally I hope it dies out; I shudder at the thought of myself or any of my descendants saying, "what up dog?" or any other of those foolish phrases.

Edited by Justinian - 30-Jul-2006 at 00:03
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 22:15
I agree, Justinian, I am sick of hearing people say "Yo dawg, how are yo doin?" and "Yo, that ride is pimpin"(of course, pronouncing the "g" would not be "correct" vernacular). I have a problem with my local "Pittsburghese". In SouthWestern Pennsylvania, we are very close to West Virginia, and they have effected my local language. Many people I know say "Are yinz(an old Scottish phrase that came with the Scots-Irish immigrants, deriving from yin, which means one, similar to ya'll) going dawntawn(downtown)?" The pronounciations of some words are so horribly off that they sound like they are from Massachusetts.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 00:34
Lucky for me I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis so the linguistic influences are not quite as outrageous (I hope not anyway).  The other problem with this "new vernacular" is that most of the idols children look up to like athletes and musicians generally speak it.  Unless athletes start becoming Ph.D. candidates, the less well educated or lower classes will continue to speak this "interesting" dialect.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 11:13
"The other problem with this "new vernacular" is that most of the idols children look up to like athletes and musicians generally speak it.  Unless athletes start becoming Ph.D. candidates, the less well educated or lower classes will continue to speak this "interesting" dialect."
Yes, that is the huge problem. Vernacular has never helped anyone with anything. It has only hurt our nation's youth because now it is like kids are speaking different languages. Besides, I bleieve that many athletes act like spoiled kids. Look at hockey players, they used to fight like they were children.

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 10:36

I agree with all of the above Posts. This New "Hip Hop" inspired English Language Deviant, really concerns me as well. I often find myself (when speaking to certain young people) altering or dumbing down my own way of speaking, just so they can understand me. This is quite distressing because I speak a very proper form of English... with an accent that I would describe as a cross between Roger Moore and Richard E. Grant.

Unfortunately the old Australian way of speaking or "Lingo" is also currently being replaced by this Urban American Hip Hop Slang. If one wanted to hear the traditional Australian Accent and Lingo these days, one would have to travel very deep into the outback! But beware of the Dingoes!

Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by Justinian

Lucky for me I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis so the linguistic influences are not quite asoutrageous (I hope not anyway). The other problem with this "new vernacular" is thatmost of the idols children look up to like athletes and musicians generally speak it. Unless athletes start becoming Ph.D. candidates, the less well educated or lower classes will continue to speak this "interesting" dialect.

You may not be used to it, but as for myself, coming from a rugged part of the other twin city, am surrounded by it. I agree with the influence over athletes though. If they started using correct grammar and dare I say it, proper english, then maybe the general public will do it too.

Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 23:32
I think the fear that "bad language" is going to "corrupt" a "mainstream" language is a little alarmist. Some sort of "two-tiered system" in which a formal and an informal version of a language coexist has always been the norm rather than the exception in all the languages of the world. For as long as the formal language is held as the "gold standard" by the upper echelon of society - the government, the professionals, the academia/intellectuals, and upper management, there is no way that the "informal" language can become mainstream.

A kid might try to emulate the speech of his or her idol while talking to his or her friend. He or she mignt even use the same speech while talking to his or her parents/teachers just to annoy them. However, when this "kid" grows up trying to look for a half-decent job, I bet he or she would switch automatically back to the "formal speech" that he or she has always been capable of using.

Post Reply Post Reply