Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Da Vinci Code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
parthenon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote parthenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Da Vinci Code
    Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:11
Days ago, I watched the US movie The Davince Code, which left me with very deep impression. However, due to the great cultural differences between East and West,  i really have many to ask. I then refered to the book ,but found it little cultural elements contained to help me understand.

I never thought that Davince's paitings could have so many misterious meanings, as to religious, I know little, as to history, i am fasinated by it.
and now i am  doning more readings about western history and civillization(That film really contributes in that sense.),for the stories are long , it takes time.

Here, i just want to know, how you think about the movie, and the religious conflicts in Europe,and also  the history.

Edited by parthenon - 09-Jul-2006 at 10:14
After all, tomorrow is another day.:)
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:18
Read Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" and then we can talk.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 13:18
The book was very intensing, the movie was beyond horrible...Godzilla vs. Mothra horrible
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 15:49
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Read Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" and then we can talk.

Indeed!

The Da Vinci Code book was crap, never read anything more unoriginal. Havent seen the movie. One can only deal with so much frustration and bad amusement.

Dan Brown did not take the trouble to invent any of his theories himself, he just copy-pasted it from others. What annoyed me most was the infantile tone of the book. I hate writers who dont resect their readers intelligence. And I thought the lead character a really irritating guy. VEry hard to enjoy a book when you dislike the hero.

Eco deals with a lot of the same themes, only on a far more intellectual level, and in spite of being quite big, it is more exiting.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 17:13
The DaVinci Code is a novel, that is, a work of fiction.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 18:01
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I hate writers who dont resect their readers intelligence. And I thought the lead character a really irritating guy. VEry hard to enjoy a book when you dislike the hero.

Couldn't agree with you more. If I had been forced to read one more page where the one "academic authority" looked to the other "academic authority" for "professional" confirmation of something completely bogus, deeply misleading or substantially unsubstantiated I would have screamed. Then again, I despise being patronized.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 01:13
The movie (and Tom Hanks) were imbecelic. The book was a good "whodunnit", not a work of fact.

"Church is trying to surpress the Holy Feminine", yeah right what about the Virgin Mary? She was most certainly not a man.

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 04:16
I agree with all of you, the book wasn't a big deal after all. But, it made a lot of young people to get some interest on history, something that Eco can't do.
Umberto Eco is one of my favorite writers, but his novels are a little bit difficult for common readers (without historical, phylosophical knowledge).

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 04:32
What I really hated was the part with the mirror writing. Somewhere at the beginning, he spends several pages explaining Leonardo's mirrorscript, on which the 'professor' supposedly studied a ling time. But when, somewhere later, he gets it under his nose, he is not even able to recognise it. I mean, was there anybody who did not see it was mirrorscript as soon as you turned the page?
And this is supposed to be an expert? I'm glad my professors do know what they are talking about...

But I agree Giannis, Eco can be though. I had trouble following Foucaults pendulum at times.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 05:44
I go with Aelfgifu and the rest, though they understate the case.

It isn't even a good who-dunnit. Too many factual errors about the present day let alone history.

boomajoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote boomajoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 20:36
Originally posted by Sparten

"Church is trying to surpress the Holy Feminine", yeah right what about the Virgin Mary? She was most certainly not a man.

Perhaps they'll claim she was in the sequel: "The Michelangelo Message". It will propose that Mary was really a Roman man named Marius who travelled to Palestine during the reign of Augustus and impregnated Mary Magdalene's mother, who in turn gave birth to Jesus. Then Jesus and Magdalene re-instituted the ancient Egyptian practice of sibling marriage in the royal family, hence how it ties to the whole Da Vinci Code thing. All of this is, naturally, presented in Michelangelo's painting in the Sistine Chapel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:God2-Sistine_Chapel.png

See here, the old guy is really Marius. The female figure to his left is Magdalene's mother, and Adam is really Jesus. The other figures with Marius represent certain church fathers who supressed the truth.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 05:04
LOL, you funny!

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-Jul-2006 at 05:04

Red Russian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Red Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 14:57
The Movie was VERY bad, I read the book, and the book WOULD have been interesting if i hadn't already heard that information and cliams in OTHER books!

Edited by Red Russian - 24-Jul-2006 at 14:58
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 15:21

Nope, even if the book would have been an original story, the main personages would still be unsympathetical and annoying, and the style would still be childish and patronising. It would still be a bad book.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 18:58
I started reading the book, that was ages ago and i've already lost interest very early. Not a good sign, on the other hand, it is competing with two Terry Pratchett books for my attention, which is some pretty stiff competition as far as i'm concerned.
Arrrgh!!"
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 03:32
Nothing beats a Terry Pratchett book! All competition can just give up and go home!

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 13:47
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Nothing beats a Terry Pratchett book! All competition can just give up and go home!

Right on Aelfgifu!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 15:24
Well, finished it a few days ago.
Its not bad.
Its not good either.
The characters seem a little shallow and rely too much on stereotypes, and the story has its twists but is meh, but really, this isn't any different from your average 'best seller'.
Massivly over hyped, both on the 'alternative history' front, and on the dissing the vatican/opus dei front if you ask me, as the vatican isn't really involved, and the opus dei are simply being used.
Meh.

I'l skip the movie.
Arrrgh!!"
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 12:43
I never read it or watched the movie simply because it's too popular with the masses, anything very popular isn't usually worth the attention.Wink
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 14:16
I'd be carefull with that, despite being a firm believer in the 95% rule*, sometimes, the masses are watching it because they percieve that everyone else is watching it, and sometimes those everyone else are watching it because someone with god taste told them too.

*that 95% of books, movies, music etc. is crap, even if enjoyable.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>