Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Africa: the White man's burden????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Africa: the White man's burden????
    Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 04:53
I hope this discussion would not lead to any offensive racial discussion.

The Allempires forum have included many discussions on various civilizations: China, Japan, Egypt, Iraq, Mayan, Persia, Turkish, Greek, Roman, etc. Yet, I havnt heard any discussion regarding of the contribution Black Africans made to this world.

If you go to China, Chinese would tell you that if it want the great Chinese inventions, Europe wouldnt achieve modernity.

If you go to India, they would tell you about Indians' tremedous contributions in relgions and mathmatics.

If you go to Greece (I went there to attain 2004 Summer Olympic game in Athens), Greeks would tell you it was Greeks revolutionized our thought (although a Greek university student told me that if it wasnt Greeks, Europeans would still live in cave and running naked!!)

If you meet a Muslim (my roomate is a Muslim), they would tell you that Iraq was the cradle of civilizations (including Greek civilizatoin) as they invneted wheel, numbers, writing, etc. and Muslim perserved the Hellenic tradtion during the Dark Age..

etc. etc......

But, how about Africa? When I took courses on ancinet civilizations in university, they covers most of civilizations we most talked about here in this forum. BUT, they never mentioned the Africa. Certainly, African did have empires such as Nubian. But, none of them had any significant place as other major civilizations or achieve the sophistication that Greeks and Chiense done.

I am a political science honor student and proverty in Africa has always hot debate in my class. Most of my classmates blame European colonization and a African friend argue white people have 100% responsiblity for the proverty and AIDS in Africa. However,  I know that South Korea was much poorer than most of Afrian countires 50 years ago, and China and India wasnt better than Africans few decades ago. Yet, today they are the driving force of global economic growth.

So, whats wrong?

I know that the sophistication of Confucian ideology and well-estalbished imperial government (bureaucracy tradition) helped East Asians to adopt Western ideologies rapidly. As some modern economist claimed Chinese culture endorsed commerce as Chinese immigrants rivals Jewish in the Western world: Chinese immigrants controled around 40% of South East Asian economy yet their population only occupied less than 5%.

The East Asian miracle have been well-studied since 1970s, but recent economic growth in India support native Indian argument that Indian culture emphasize in education especially in mathmatics.

These two giants along other little Dragons (Singapore, Taiwan, Korea are all under the Confucian sphere of influence) had well established culture and ethic that are conpatible with Western capitlaism and legal system.

The proverty in Africa today, other than the problem of racism colonianism (which occured in Asia too) and AIDS, the lack of well-established government and kingdoms prior the contact with Europeans prevent a much smoother trasition to industrialization. In other words, a huge gap exists between a tribal society and a industrialized state. Whereas China and India were agricutlure-based economies and therefore experienced smoother transitions than that of tribal societies in Africa. This too can be demonstrates in Japan's case during the Meiji restoration which many historians argued the modernization began before the encoutner with Americans. That is, under Tokugawa rule, Japan was well-governed, the the population was well-educated, and Japan did experience trade boom during the Tokugawa period. As a result, it was a rather rapid trasition during the Meiji restoration as ruling Samurais had experience as bureaucrats in government and thus quickly adopted the western-style admisnistration in few years. Japan's transition was comparable with other late industralized nations such as Germany, France, and Russia which had much larger argricutlure-based economies.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 17:07
I assume you're talking about sub-Saharan Africa.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 19:27
I know that the sophistication of Confucian ideology and well-estalbished imperial government (bureaucracy tradition) helped East Asians to adopt Western ideologies rapidly.

Western Ideologies have naught to do with the much older chinese tradition of aquiring money.

The biggest problem about sub-saharan africa is the extreme ignorance that non-africans (including myself) have about sub-saharan africa. If you asked a european 200 years ago about chinese achievments they would have no idea. Same problem now towards sub-saharan africa.

The first thing you can't do; is refer to the whole area as 'africa'
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 01:15
Every week we get one of these questions, Im sick of answering them.  Lets just say this, because you and many others are ignorant of African civilizations doesn not mean they do not exist.  Nubia is one of many, and by far not the most impressive one.  Perhpas you should go enlighten yourself, its not the hard.  The key to old civilizations lies in many modern countries names, theres hint number one.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 02:59
I guess you have mistaken my discussion. I didnt say any "inferiority" about Africans. I simply try to answer the failure of African modernization and whether WEST is fully responsible for it.

In terms of so-called African civilization, I also took a course on it, but my prof. (who is an African) told me that the Western definition of civilization is too narrow. In other words, tribal societies do not include within the definition of civilization.

Tobodai, if you can give me examples that show that the so-called "African cvilizations" does exist and "comparable" to any other civilization, please show me. Civilizations, like Edward Said said in his revolutionary theory "Orientalism", is Western intention to group OTHERS in relation to itself. As a result, academic historians and textbooks (ask your classic and history professors) do no include Africa as civilizations. Thus, to call African civilization simply intend to "orientalize" African cultures, which place African culture in inferior relation to others. As long as people and academic world do not redefine "civilizations", African and Natives of America would always be treated as "less sophisticated". When I took the African history, there are only 15 people in my class whereas there are overwhelming 120 people in my Hellenic studies. Why? It is simply that "Africa" do not "comparable" with other classic civilizations (likewise, it is also shown in our forum where fewer people interests in "African civilization" than other sections and fewer discussions on it).

Recently, there are voices in Canada that calls a education reform in order to address the overwhleming uneducated Native children. When one report asked a Native girl why she is not interests in school works, she replied: "Why would I be interests, when the textbook is about White men stuffs; technology, writing, Westrn art...". How can African and Native cutlures be treated respectuflly if people include them with other civilizations; it is inevitable for people to interpret it in relations with "classical definiton of civilization: writing, religions, agriculture, philosophy, and technology".

Edited by Kids - 09-Jul-2006 at 03:16
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 04:33

Originally posted by Kids

As long as people and academic world do not redefine "civilizations", African and Natives of America would always be treated as "less sophisticated".

When European or Arab cultures first encountered them they were 'less sophisticated'. So?

That's not a value judgement, it's simply an objective fact.

What seems to get mixed up here (as so often) is some idea that 'sophisticated' is good and 'unsophisticated' is bad - or vice versa. There's no basis for either judgement.

Human cultures and societies quite obviously do not develop and have not developed at the same rate everywhere all the time. Some change more than others.

The only things that are wrong are to (a) think that more developed means better and (b) not changing fast is an inherent genetic fault in the people involved.

Edited by gcle2003 - 09-Jul-2006 at 04:33
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 05:52
   If Africa was a burden, why would it be just the white man's burden? That's like saying the white man's doing heaps to help Africa whilst penalising itself in the proccess, whereas all non-whites are doing nothing to help Africa. 
   Even though racism is pretty much a thing of the past in the western world, a kind of a 'post colonialism menatality' still exist sub-conciously, and I stess the word sub-conciously. Even here in Australia, such things can be seen day in day out across the board on all levels. Kid's example where he suggested text books to include African civilisations among others is a good step towards stemming out those mentalities that lies beneath the surface.

Edited by babyblue - 09-Jul-2006 at 05:53
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 05:58
I would tend to agree with you that a few sub saharan countries were inferior cultures to the one that encountered them, otherwise there would not have been colonisation at that rate.
But no culture or nation is always superior and no culture or nation is always inferior.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:12
Originally posted by gcle2003

When European or Arab cultures first encountered them they were 'less sophisticated'. So?

What seems to get mixed up here (as so often) is some idea that 'sophisticated' is good and 'unsophisticated' is bad - or vice versa. There's no basis for either judgement.

Human cultures and societies quite obviously do not develop and have not developed at the same rate everywhere all the time. Some change more than others.

The only things that are wrong are to (a) think that more developed means better and (b) not changing fast is an inherent genetic fault in the people involved.

I think that the wonderfull comments by GCLE aptly illustrate the narrowness of the approach to this subject, the problem as he has rightly pointed out is with the basic premise used for the "value judgement".

To simplyfy the issue, i would argue they didint because they didnt need to.(develop)
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:19
Originally posted by Sparten

I would tend to agree with you that a few sub saharan countries were inferior cultures to the one that encountered them, otherwise there would not have been colonisation at that rate.

It is like saying, that Ibrahim Lodhi's 100 000 were from an inferior culture to Zahiruddin Babar 20000. Obviously not. It was not a success based on culture but technology.
Greek Tragedy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Greek Tragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 10:35
maybe im missing the point of this.. but isnt egypt, africa? who said they werent black africans ever in egypt? why do people love to set it apart. besides you dont have to be dark black 'running after tigers' to be african either, and i think that has to do with race problems and some people only want certain people to get recognition in their text books. and it still exists. and modern wise i dont know why theres so many issues in africa let alone iraq with all the killings and etc. theres problems in alot of places, but they all have their civilzations they are known for. yes even africa, egypt is pretty big but others civilizations should be known more as well in africa too. same as theres more than one european country of history, known.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 11:51

I agree with Malizai. This is such an excellent point that I hope more people will pay attention to. It is not wrong or politically incorrect to say that some cultures are more "developed" than others because that is, as gcle put it, an "objective truth". Even the most politically correct person cannot possibly claim that an illiterate society is at the same level of development as a literate one, for example. However, making such claim does not mean that the latter is BETTER than the former because the level of development itself is not a yardstick for "goodness" or "badness" of a culture. Who can say that a tribe living in the Amazons or Papua New Guinea, being self-sufficient and living in perfect harmony with nature, is more "miserable" than the citizens of a country plagued with crimes and suffocated by pollution? I think it's very arrogant of us to assume that since some people do not have a microwave or access to the internet, they must NEED us to tell them how to get those things.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 14:44
Make no mistake Kids, I have no problem with empires and think that conquest is the best way to exchange ideas before the internet.  Nontheless I think your logic is flawed in that it is reversed.  It is not that nobody is intrested in Africa because nothing happened there, it is that nobody knows what happened there and thus is not intrested.

European empires messed with the borders, but they brought many things with them as well.  The empires arent to blame for lack of development, but the slave trade is.  A contient with low population density, robbed of 20 million people, and a trade that became the entire economy, and then stopped suddenly.  Thats a big deal, and its not just Africa, the more slave dependent a place was the worse off its economy is around the world.  In the United States the former slave states are observably poorer and more backward, so too in Europe where the east with the "slavs" who were subject to slavers tend to be worse off than the west.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
viola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote viola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 20:09
sparten says:

"i would tend to agree with you that a few sub saharan countries were inferior cultures to the one that encountered them, otherwise there would not have been colonisation at that rate.
But no culture or nation is always superior and no culture or nation is always inferior."

gcle2003 says:

"When European or Arab cultures first encountered them they were 'less sophisticated'. So?"

who tells you this? where do you get your sources from?

look up: timbuctoo
              ghana
              zanj

were these not comparable to european civilizations at the same time frame?

greek tragedy says:

"maybe im missing the point of this.. but isnt egypt, africa? who said they werent black africans ever in egypt? why do people love to set it apart."

youre right.you will  be surprised how many people have still got a 1920,s viewpoint on african civilizations. 

lets divide european civilizations and say any european country higher then greece and  rome  are sub meditteranean and are not of the same race.

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 20:59
You know the greatest gift Africa gave to mankind--it is one that Darwin understood: the Africans, somehow, were the first to gain some mastery over nature and provided mankind an avenue to progress to its present state: a battle between the wilderness and man, failure would have meant extinction. That's why we should all be grateful to Africans. They were the founders.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2006 at 22:47
Africa's greatest gift to mankind is mankind
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by malizai_

It is like saying, that Ibrahim Lodhi's 100 000 were from an inferior culture to Zahiruddin Babar 20000. Obviously not. It was not a success based on culture but technology.
Culture is inclusive of technology. The japanese were clearly inferior to the Americans under Commodore Perry, however 50 years later they were the superior of many a European power after Taushima.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 05:14

"When European or Arab cultures first encountered them they were 'less sophisticated'. So?"

Originally posted by viola

who tells you this? where do you get your sources from?

Pretty well everywhere really.

look up: timbuctoo

Timbuktu was a place where the more sophisticated Arab culture met the indigenous one. Culturally it was in effect an Arab colony, certainly an Islamic one. Islam is undoubtedly more sophisticated than the animism of West Africa.

Maybe you should look up 'sophisticated'.
ghana
When the Arabs first got to the area that became known as the Ghanaian Empire (not, incidentally, present-day Ghana), the local inhabitants did not even have the camel - but camel transport became a key factor in the development of the culture. Raising of other livestock was also introduced by the Arabs.

Again, too, Islam is more sophisticated (a later cultural development) than the Ghanaian religion, in which the Emperor was regarded as divine, along with some other mythological figures derived from animism.
zanj
Don't know so much about the Zanj (in particular about pre-Islamic religions in the area), but again the comparison here has to be with the Arabs. 

were these not comparable to european civilizations at the same time frame?
What have the Europeans got to do with it? We were talking about first contact so the key comparative culture in these examples (as I indicated) was Arab (perhaps using 'Arab' a bit loosely to include other Arabic-speaking peoples).

The Arabs at this point in time were certainly more sophisticated than the Western Europeans, at any rate. (Byzantium was still keeping pace I guess.)

Edited by gcle2003 - 10-Jul-2006 at 05:22
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 07:25

Originally posted by malizai_

Culture is inclusive of technology. The japanese were clearly inferior to the Americans under Commodore Perry, however 50 years later they were the superior of many a European power after Taushima.

You are rigt to state that culture is somewhat inclusive of technology, if Michelangelo's paint brush represents the technology that is. But i view culture as the ethereal that led to the use of the brush, the paintings themselves.

I dont think that the addition of factories adds directly to culture. Multinationals dont add to culture either. Mongols ransacking of Baghdad did not mean a superior culture meeting an inferior one. Hence the courts of Ibrahim Lodhi were silenced not by Babars superior culture but his superior firearms. Hence, i see culture itself on a higher plane than technology.

Edited by malizai_ - 10-Jul-2006 at 07:31
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 08:19
I tend to see a superior culture as one which survives and triumphs. And in your example, just two years after Baghdad, came Ayn Jalut.
And the Mongols were not uncultured at all. At least in Halagu's time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>