Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attila the Hun-is he Asian or Indo-European?
    Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 04:25
From most of books I read, Atilla is identified with Oriental (Eastern Asian) characters (yellowish skin, short, small eyes, flat nose as according to Priscus's encounter with Attila).

But why then in Hungary Attila (as a national hero in Hungary) is depicted as European like figure as well as in recent American movie Attila???

Is is because Europeans can not accept the fact that Attila is non-white? 

Edited by Kids - 07-Jul-2006 at 04:27
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 04:32
Could be.  Most of the evidence suggests he was of Asiatic origin.  When you read how the Romans described the Huns, you get the impression that they were physically very different from the Romans.  They seem to be trying to describe a people with Mongoloid characteristics, which obviously seemed very strange to the Caucasian Romans.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 05:06
Originally posted by Kids

From most of books I read, Atilla is identified with Oriental (Eastern Asian) characters (yellowish skin, short, small eyes, flat nose as according to Priscus's encounter with Attila).

But why then in Hungary Attila (as a national hero in Hungary) is depicted as European like figure as well as in recent American movie Attila???

where you got that picture from? Where is that statue in Hungary?
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:02
This is another picture that depicts Attila as European in Hungary.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:03
The Feast of Attila by Mr Than
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:08

"They seem to be trying to describe a people with Mongoloid characteristics, which obviously seemed very strange to the Caucasian Romans."

I know. Its funny that how Caucasian people are nowdays are portrays as THE standard of beauty in this world.

Back then, Europeans are depicted as almost like monkey-like creatures (hairy and dirty...) in Chinese and Japanese records. Now, you found European models (as oppose to African models) earn more $ than Asian models in East Asia. Ironically, isnt!
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:19

I have just seen the picture on link. This is not a statue of Attila, but a statue of rpd (and the other six Hungarian conqueror chieftain) on the Heroes' Square, Budapest.

Edited by Raider - 07-Jul-2006 at 06:23
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:27

My mistake, Raider. Somone in my Ancient history class sent the picture to me and claimed it was from Hungary.

So, Raider, do people of Hungary associate Attila as European or Asian on TV or movies???
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:38

The only movie with Attila, I've ever watched is with Anthony Quinn and i believe that he has more asian characteristics than caucasian.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:54
A. Quinn is half Irish half Mexican if I remember it right

Edited by Leonardo - 07-Jul-2006 at 07:33
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 07:19
Is it easy to get that movie?  It looks mighty interesting.

Edited by Scytho-Sarmatian - 07-Jul-2006 at 07:19
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 07:36

My mistake, Raider. Somone in my Ancient history class sent the picture to me and claimed it was from Hungary.

So, Raider, do people of Hungary associate Attila as European or Asian on TV or movies???
It is from Hungary, but it is not Attila's statue.

Well, Hungarians -generally speaking- associate Attila with a Hungarian thus a European.

Attila in a medieval Hungarian chronicle (Chronicon Pictum):
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 07:51
Even in that medieval picture Attila looks "dark."  He looks very Central Asian to me.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 07:58
I have see a Roman mosaic depicting a Roman cavalier chasing a Hun ith a Lance, the Hun was running away about to fire a Parthian shot, they had depicted him with East Asian features (Almond eyes and hih cheek bones).
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:18
He is deffinetly Asian!
arras View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote arras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:19
Huns were Indo-European people as well as Allans, Sarmatians, all Turkic tribes, Scithians, Bulgars, Avars and other nomadic people who came from central Asia. Etnicaly they had same origin as most other European, Iranian and Indian (Aryana) people and their language was part of Indo-European group. There are some doubds if Ugro-Finish languages are part of Indo-European group but then that Hungarian people are direct descendants of Huns is questionable. Some historians claim it is only part of national myth like many similar across other nations.
Notice that people of Hungaria don't call themself Huns but Magiars and they don't call their country Hungaria.

Do not be confused about their "asiatic" look.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:27
The core Huns were most probably Altaic speakers, the confederations they formed were with Indo-Europeans such as Alans, Goths etc.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:38
Originally posted by arras

Huns were Indo-European people as well as Allans, Sarmatians, all Turkic tribes, Scithians, Bulgars, Avars and other nomadic people who came from central Asia. Etnicaly they had same origin as most other European, Iranian and Indian (Aryana) people and their language was part of Indo-European group. There are some doubds if Ugro-Finish languages are part of Indo-European group but then that Hungarian people are direct descendants of Huns is questionable. Some historians claim it is only part of national myth like many similar across other nations.
Notice that people of Hungaria don't call themself Huns but Magiars and they don't call their country Hungaria.

Do not be confused about their "asiatic" look.

just a question why is it if someone or people played a important role in history "white"(caucasians) claime them as one of their own.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:52
Strange and weird people don't have boundaries, I've heard that Cleopatra was black, Hitler a jew, Attila european and other nonsense.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 08:55
Scytho-Sarmatian, you can purchase the dvd Attila from here if you want www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00013T79Q.

Edited by Giannis - 07-Jul-2006 at 08:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>