Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Macedonian language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Macedonian language
    Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:08
Originally posted by Anton

Such a cheap trick Flipper. Cry BTW look what theMacedonian wrote:
2.Ancient Macedonian had no written form, so you wont be finding any scripts written in Macedonian.
If such an inscription be founded it will be claimed as falsificate Wink

Nice  scientific thought Anton!!!!LOL
One side has as argyments inscriptions,ancient lexicons and of course words.
The other side has....NOTHING
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:09
Originally posted by theMacedonian

For No. 2 (thats is so far nothing has been found so far) thats what we know atleast... but away from that...

How about finding a greek enscription on Macedonian teritory before 4 Century AD... i would like to see a sugnificant nomber of inscriptions pre dating this period.

I've given you 6000 thousand inscriptions to choose from...

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:11
Originally posted by akritas

Such a cheap trick Flipper. Cry BTW look what theMacedonian wrote:
2.Ancient Macedonian had no written form, so you wont be finding any scripts written in Macedonian.
If such an inscription be founded it will be claimed as falsificate Wink

Nice  scientific thought Anton!!!!LOL
One side has as argyments inscriptions,ancient lexicons and of course words.
The other side has....NOTHING

"NOTHING" is underestimation. Did you read topic that you created together with Sharikin? Wink
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:17
If you have arguments go there and post them. This is other topic and consern the ancient Macedonian language. And your arguments until now are "invisible"Wink

Edited by akritas - 25-Oct-2006 at 13:17
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:27
Arguments were many, for example story about Phylota Smile. But since you cannot explain it you always ask not to post it  again.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:49

Arguments were many, for example story about Phylota Smile. But since you cannot explain it you always ask not to post it  again.
Then I shall remind you AGAIN my argument because as I see you forget easy.....

One of the questions that arises out of Curtius' inflated account of the Philotas affair is

Where did Curtius find all this information, with all its details and melodrama?

Were records of the trial's proceedings available, which could have been used by Curtius' source(s) or Curtius himself?

and I am explain

In Arrian (3.26.1-4), the Philotas-Parmenion affair is only 36 lines + 2 words long
Plutarch yields 86 LCL lines + 3 words to the Philotas-Parmenion affair
Curtius' account of the Philotas affair, on the other hand, amounts to 619 LCL lines + 81 words, or about 4537.8 words (6.7-1 1.40).

continue........Wink

Edited by akritas - 25-Oct-2006 at 13:58
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 13:58

In any event, to comprehend as best as possible Curtius' account of the Philotas affair it becomes necessary to dissect its structure in a synoptic style. This will bring forth the steps involved in the construction of the details and dramatic techniques therein. One such dramatic technique is when Alexander, unexpectedly so-to-speak, asks Philotas whether hz (Philotas) was to defend himself in the putrius senno, because the Makedones were to pass judgement on him.

Curtius does not specify in what language Alexander addressed Philotas, but it has been inferred that it was in the koine. This is, of course, arbitrary inference, as Philotas, too, does not indicate in what language Alexander addressed him, although from the context neither of them was speaking in the pasrius senno of therein.

Alexander's question to Philotas whether the latter was to address the Makedones in the patrius senno (6.9.34) and Philotas' reply (below) to Alexander's accusation that he (Philotas) hated the putrius s e m and did not learn it (ibid. 9.36) are in themselves contradictory. When Alexander asked Philotas about the patrius sem , Philotas responded that he was going to speak in the same language as Alexander, presumably the koine  because, besides the Makedones, there were also many others present and because Alexander's language was understood a pluribus (ibid. 9.35).

This response by Philotas would imply that there was a putrius senno and that Philotas knew it, but he preferred to speak in the language Alexander had used for greater comprehension, unless this was a ploy on the part of Philotas to cover up his not knowing the putnus senno, as accused by Alexander and later by Bolon.The contradiction in the pazrius senno motif shows up later, too, when Philotas in defending himself (6.10.23) says that the parrills sernlo had become obsolete because of the intercourse with other nations (lam pndem nativus ille sermo commercio aliarum gerzrium exolevit) , with the comment tam victoribus, quam victis peregrina lingua disceitda esr, which may be rendered into Greek as kathaper nikosin,osautos kai httimenoi xenis glossan mathitea.

Anton how could Philotas state in the contio that the patrirrs sermo was no longer spoken, if it was still in vogue as suggested by Alexander's question?

And Anton  how could Alexander pose such a question if the patrius sem was no longer spoken as Philotas declared?

lets see now your arguments as about Philotas case dear AntonWink

Edited by akritas - 25-Oct-2006 at 14:02
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 14:27
Akritas these are not arguments. These are your tractation or explanation of existing arguments. How could I know where did he take the information from? Does it really matter? Where did Herodotus for example take his information? Following your logic I may ommit any authors saying that Macedonians were Greeks by the fact that Greeks wanted to have the "glory" of macedonians (particularly Alexander).
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 14:30

Akritas these are not arguments. These are your tractation or explanation of existing arguments. How could I know where did he take the information from? Does it really matter? Where did Herodotus for example take his information? Following your logic I may ommit any authors saying that Macedonians were Greeks by the fact that Greeks wanted to have the "glory" of macedonians (particularly Alexander).
Anton thank you AGAIN  for your non-arguments LOL
As about your supposing speculation-questions the answer is easy..By learning the ancient Greek  or Latin  languages. This is the answer in every speculation.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 14:45
I've given you 6000 thousand inscriptions to choose from...

I'm questioning myself what would Greek archaeologist feel if he would find inscriptions in Macedonian, non-Greek language, like in Northern Macedonia (today Republic of Macedonia) have been found:

KRESKAY SE SI VO LET SAL SO ILYU = Crackle you are in flight only (solely) with the sun
http://www.unet.com.mk/ancient-macedonians/lac_a.htm

The Ancient Macedonian language was the tongue of the Ancient Macedonians. It was spoken in Macedon during the 1st millennium BC. Marginalized from the 5th century BC, it is believed to have disappeared by the early centuries of the Common Era.[citation needed] It was probably spoken predominantly in the inland regions away from the coast. It is as yet undetermined whether the language was a separate yet sibling language which was most closely related to Greek, a dialect of Greek or an independent Indo-European language close to Greek, Thracian and Phrygian languages.

Knowledge of the language is very limited because there are no surviving texts that are indisputably written in the language, though a body of authentic Macedonian words has been assembled from ancient sources, mainly from coin inscriptions, and from the 5th century lexicon of Hesychius of Alexandria, amounting to about 700 words and proper names. Most of these are confidently identifiable as Greek, but some of them are not easily reconciled with standard Greek phonology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Macedonian_language

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 15:03
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Your ancient Macedonian language or better the source that you give us Menumorut ifrom Vasil Ilyov that try to connect a A & C Bulgarian dialect  that created 3000 years later with the Linear A!!!!!
You make me lauph LOUD!!!LOLLOL

So  Menumorut .. LOLplease infrom us exactly how does this PSEUDO-professor of also unknown ancestry allegedly decipher a tablet that has ONLY been studied by Proffessor  Hourmouziadis and his 'team' at the Aristotle University  of Thessaloniki??Confused

But what can anyone expect from a totally inaccurate source..

First, the site in question was discovered in 1932 by Prof. A.Keramopoylos and NOT in 1853 as your source claims..

See the OFFICIAL Dispilio site instead of your PSEUDO-professor of unknown origin here:

http://web.auth.gr/dispilio/

Now as for the rediculous attempt to connect your Slavic grunt to inscriptions dated to the 5th millenium....

First  if  this was any form of Slaic that would be PROTO-Slavic and not the Bulgarian dialect  that they speak the Slavonic origin inhibants of the Macedonia!!!!!.

Second, exactly WHERE does the PSEUDO-prof. find this inscription. The inscription that has ONLY been examined by Hourmouziadis and his team before it was destroyed ???

Unless your 'Vasil Ilyov' was part of his team but was for some mysterious reason kept a secret..

According to your source. this:

is allegedly part of the inscription found..

Once again a totally inaccurate and manipulated propaganda attempt.. Why ??

Ahhh, simple dear Menumorut  because the inscription on the plate actually looked like THIS :

and according to Prof. Hourmouziadis and his team, the corresponding 'letters' to the inscriptions of Linear A' which is definitely NOT Slav(e)ic are the following..

Edited by akritas - 25-Oct-2006 at 15:10
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 15:15
What language do you consider was spoken in the territory of Macedonia between 1500 BC and 500 BC?

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 15:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

What language do you consider was spoken in the territory of Macedonia between 1500 BC and 500 BC?
The thread  consern the language of the ancient Macedonians.This era started between 650 BC and after. Macedonian history originated since the Macedonians conquered the Emathia(Vrygians) at that date.  If you have something diffrent as about the topic bring us.But not FYROMIan propagandistic  sources  like Vasil Ilyov!!!!LOL
And given answer in your question the Macedonian Land (Emathia) , not the today geographical Macedonia inhabited by Illyrians-Frygians and Greeks at 1200-650 BC. Until now we don't have any evidence from different language.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 17:29
Originally posted by akritas

and according to Prof. Hourmouziadis and his team, the corresponding 'letters' to the inscriptions of Linear A' which is definitely NOT Slav(e)ic are the following..

Slav(e)ic -- what language is it? Is it from word "Slave"? Are you trying by that to offend around 200 000 000 people? I sent a report to moderator about this. Unless you appoligize and change your post yourself.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 21:07
Since the issue has been raised, I'm interested to find out what it means too.

For others, keep within the parameters of the topic.

Edited by Seko - 25-Oct-2006 at 21:11
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 06:08
Interesting mistyping Confused
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 11:05
Ahhh, simple dear Menumorut  because the inscription on the plate actually looked like THIS :

1. What is the reason to put it in this direction and not in the first? Turn it 90 degrees anti-clock wise and you will get what it was. With addition three more lines of course.
2. How could one explain this in ancient greek-speaking and greek writing macedonians?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 11:49

1. What is the reason to put it in this direction and not in the first? Turn it 90 degrees anti-clock wise and you will get what it was. With addition three more lines of course.
Turn it on in any direction want. The result is the same.We speak for a logophonetic  text(Linear A) that has symbols  and of course  never deciphere. Linear B and Cypriot both exhibit considerable similarity to Linear A. Because of its time depth, Linear A appears to be the immediate ancestor to both of these writing systems.

2. How could one explain this in ancient greek-speaking and greek writing macedonians?
I don't understand your question.
theMacedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote theMacedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 11:37

why did us stop writing i was enjoyng that...

or was my "historical incopentence" you fueling spark that now has ran  out...

whell if this is so... i will boost you historical hormones soon...
I just wanna see how all this works out.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 21:06
Plato in his book "Cratylus" said
"
Soc. Shall I tell you what I suspect to be the true explanation of this and several other words?- My belief is that they are of foreign origin. For the Hellenes, especially those who were under the dominion of the barbarians, often borrowed from them.

Her. What is the inference?

Soc. Why, you know that any one who seeks to demonstrate the fitness of these names according to the Hellenic language, and not according to the language from which the words are derived, is rather likely to be at fault.

Her. Yes, certainly.

Soc. Well then, consider whether this pur is not foreign; for the word is not easily brought into relation with the Hellenic tongue, and the Phrygians may be observed to have the same word slightly changed, just as they have udor (water) and kunes (dogs), and many other words.
"

If Greeks borrowed words from the barbarians(aka non-Greeks) what makes the words we came to know as Greek actualy be Greek?

-Is it because they wore written in the Greek script(originaly pheonisian origins)
-Is it because it was the Greek Language?
-Or is anything with "os" at the end automaticly Greek?! even  though there is no explanation of the word?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>