Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arvanitic, a dying language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arvanitic, a dying language
    Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 12:27
Originally posted by dorian

I'll give you an example... One of my fellow-students has an Arvanite grand-father from whom he learned some arvanitic words, his grand-mother is from Chios and the other two grand-parents of him are Cretans. So, how could you characterize him who speaks some arvanitic? An Arvanite by origin? An Arvanite by culture? Name me one reason for him to preserve the arvanitic culture while he doesn't belong to an arvanitic family. Can you understand why the arvanitic language comes to extinct?

One who speaks only some words of arvanitic does not have arvanite culture. But how come this language survived till now (I dont believe that nobody speaks it anymore), I think they always intermarried with greeks, so this is not the main reason. If there were primary schools in arvanitic language, if there were festivals fo arvanitic culture, if this heritage could be promoted in the right way, than the culture could be saved. But for this to happen people should, as Yiannis said, perceive these cultures as a national treasure.
Prej heshtjes...!
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 12:53

As I told you above the grand-parent of this person is Arvanite who speaks arvanitic and greek (Arvanites are bilingual). Was he able to talk arvanitic with his wife (from Chios) in home? So how could his children learn arvanitic? And how his grandson could've learned Arvanitic? The arvanitic language cannot be preserved ever by one person in a greek speaking family through the centuries, since there are not pure arvanitic societies now.

Edited by dorian - 05-Jul-2006 at 12:55
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 13:59

As I told you above the grand-parent of this person is Arvanite who speaks arvanitic and greek (Arvanites are bilingual). Was he able to talk arvanitic with his wife (from Chios) in home? So how could his children learn arvanitic? And how his grandson could've learned Arvanitic? The arvanitic language cannot be preserved ever by one person in a greek speaking family through the centuries, since there are not pure arvanitic societies now.

When did it exist a pure arvanit society?
Prej heshtjes...!
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 05:23

Right after the arrival of Arvanites in particular places in Greece.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 18:28
Basically I do not believe the Arvanite dialekt has died yet...However, calling it Pelasgian is way too much science fiction. It is more close to Albanian. Pelasgians were the natives of the southern balcan penisula waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in time. Every single ancient language in the Balcans has loan words from the Pelasgic language. The Hellenic, the Illyrian, the Etruscan, the Lydian, the Phoenician etc. 

Herodotus wrote f.ex "It is evident to me that the Hellenes never changed their speech. It was a branch of Pelasgian that separated from the main body" (George Rawlingsons translation).

The dialect of Pontus has a lot of words f.ex included in pelasgian inscription found. That doesn't mean though it is Pelasgian after so many thousands years, even though the dialect is the most primitive of the rest dialects.

Many words are also connected to the Aramaic...To be exact they are exact copies. How can then so many words be common in so many languages? Because they are loan words.

Lately I've read a lot about people trying to give an explanation in pelasgian inscriptions connecting them to their language. Even turks tryed to call the turkish language Pelasgian.

Anyway, Arvanitika as we call it, is still preserved in some areas. What I've noticed though, which is sad and sounds strange into my ears is that some people comming from Arvanite villages in Greece refuse to declare themselves as Arvanites even though they can speak arvanitine. They say the language was just a leftover from the Ottoman times. Maybe that's why the text Arber posted says "Why didn't they learn you more? Cause they thought the language was nothing worth".

Edited by Flipper - 06-Jul-2006 at 18:44

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 18:43
Originally posted by Arbλr Z

The presence of the arvanites should be another reason why our countries should get closer, and should improve the interstate relations.

At last someone mentions it...Not to forget that the relations of our ancestors weren't bad at all...Alliances against foreign intrusions, mercenaries etc...

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 18:46
As for the preservation of the language Arber, I think the Roms are a great example of keeping their language global without having it written.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 19:58
Originally posted by Flipper

Basically I do not believe the Arvanite dialekt has died yet...However, calling it Pelasgian is way too much science fiction. It is more close to Albanian. Pelasgians were the natives of the southern balcan penisula waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in time. Every single ancient language in the Balcans has loan words from the Pelasgic language. The Hellenic, the Illyrian, the Etruscan, the Lydian, the Phoenician etc. 

I agree with everything. (the arvanite still exists, but its a bit in trouble)

Herodotus wrote f.ex "It is evident to me that the Hellenes never changed their speech. It was a branch of Pelasgian that separated from the main body" (George Rawlingsons translation).

That might be very possible, but I believe that the pelasgian had also other branches, which could be the illyrian, the thracian and the dacian.This languages then developed in different ways, and in different regions, but very probably they had the same substratum (pelasgian).

Anyway, Arvanitika as we call it, is still preserved in some areas. What I've noticed though, which is sad and sounds strange into my ears is that some people comming from Arvanite villages in Greece refuse to declare themselves as Arvanites even though they can speak arvanitine. They say the language was just a leftover from the Ottoman times. Maybe that's why the text Arber posted says "Why didn't they learn you more? Cause they thought the language was nothing worth".

Actually it is not a leftover from ottoman times. Greece has always been a (more) developed country, so albanians in many forms, and in many times emigrated southwards. They went there at least since the XII century,as mercebary warriors, who after serving the lords, were granted some earth for themselves and their families.Some albanians (arvanites) emigrated from greece to italy, as also some greeks did. And the greeks lived together with the albanians also in southern italy. Still today there exists albanian (arberesh) comunity in 50 villages www.arbitalia.it which are near the greek villages. Apparently these people, even though they spoke different languages and had different ethnical backgrounds, shared their churches and felt closer to eachother than to the indigenes (italians)
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 20:01

As for the preservation of the language Arber, I think the Roms are a great example of keeping their language global without having it written.

Yes, but thats a different thing. The roms (unfortunately) are marginalised in our societies, and they are not considered greek there, nor albanian here. It is a different thing with the arvanites, they are considered (and actually are) a integrated part of the hellenic nation (consiously).
Prej heshtjes...!
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 04:30

Yes, but thats a different thing. The roms (unfortunately) are marginalised in our societies, and they are not considered greek there, nor albanian here. It is a different thing with the arvanites, they are considered (and actually are) a integrated part of the hellenic nation (consiously).

All the same again... If you say that this guy I told you above with 1/4 of arvanitic origin belongs to the population of Arvanites and he has been intergrated into the greek society, if you mean that someone who has an arvanite ancestor is Arvanite himself without accounting his other ancestors regarding origin and culture, then I'm sorry but I cannot say anything else and you will never understand why the arvanitic is a dying language. If you are trying to find pure arvanitic families, so as to belong to any minority, you will get disappointed.

Edited by dorian - 07-Jul-2006 at 06:48
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 06:21
Originally posted by Arbr Z

No it is not different...Basically you see as Roms people that live in tens in a rez which is a prejudice amonst most of us. I can't talk about the Roms in Albania but in Greece most Roms do live in houses. However people refer to those who lives in tents as Roms.

Roms are a race of its own but in some societies they adapt the ethnic consciousnes of the locals. Roms in Greece complain sometimes cause they are not threated equaly when they try to get a job done (job: f.ex legal issues etc). Their main argument is "We are Greeks too" which means they do not to be treated as outsiders or bugs of the community. Exactly the same situation exists in Sweden and Finland. You can't distinguish a swedish rom from a swede that easy. In Finland you do, however both swedish and finnish roms reffer to themselves as Swedish/Suomalainen Roms.

Now do you have some information about the different branches of the Pelasgians? Did their language change depending on the people they came in contact with? I'm interested on this matter. Some fanatic ortodox christian groups I've located are trying to deny their existance. They've translated Herodotus and Homer incorrectly in order to prove that the Pelasgians were a myth.

According to findings during the 60s and 70s all over Greece, archeologists concluded that the "birthplace" of the Pelasgians was in the Limnos Island. Their name means "Sea people". They did have a primitive alphabet which was a mix of Eboic, Cadmian and the Cretan Linnear B. The letters are fewer compared to the alphabets mentioned which makes their inscription readable in too many different ways.

As for Italy and the Arvanites. Do they live in Calabria?

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 12:20

All the same again... If you say that this guy I told you above with 1/4 of arvanitic origin belongs to the population of Arvanites and he has been intergrated into the greek society, if you mean that someone who has an arvanite ancestor is Arvanite himself without accounting his other ancestors regarding origin and culture, then I'm sorry but I cannot say anything else and you will never understand why the arvanitic is a dying language. If you are trying to find pure arvanitic families, so as to belong to any minority, you will get disappointed.

???????
I understood that the first time you posted, and I agreed, why did u bother to post it again?Friend, I believe that you prejudice me, and believe that everything I write is opposing youConfused

Edited by Arbr Z - 07-Jul-2006 at 12:22
Prej heshtjes...!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 10:57
Hey, Arber, can you tell me if the toponym 'Koutsomodi' ('Koutsoumad', with a certain accent?) is arvanitic?

The reason why arvanitic is being lost, is exactly the same with the other dialects, be it of greek origin (pontian greek, tsakonian greek), be it of vlachic (latin) origin, be it of albanian. It is the fact that they are not worth anything in the modern society. We have the TV and we lose our accent. Once upon a time, there used to be a cretan dialect. Where is it now? I have co-students in the university from Crete. Well, they speak as atheneans. People feel bad if they talk with weird accent, or with dialect words. They are making fun of us Thessalonikeans, that we use  the 'l' very thickly, or that we talk with 'me' and 'se' insyead of the correct 'mou' and 'sou'. And it is alright with us Thessalonikeans, because we are many and proud. But people from the countryside try to change their accent (if that hasn't already happened through the TV). 

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2006 at 12:59
Originally posted by xristar

Hey, Arber, can you tell me if the toponym 'Koutsomodi' ('Koutsoumad', with a certain accent?) is arvanitic?

The reason why arvanitic is being lost, is exactly the same with the other dialects, be it of greek origin (pontian greek, tsakonian greek), be it of vlachic (latin) origin, be it of albanian. It is the fact that they are not worth anything in the modern society. We have the TV and we lose our accent. Once upon a time, there used to be a cretan dialect. Where is it now? I have co-students in the university from Crete. Well, they speak as atheneans. People feel bad if they talk with weird accent, or with dialect words. They are making fun of us Thessalonikeans, that we use  the 'l' very thickly, or that we talk with 'me' and 'se' insyead of the correct 'mou' and 'sou'. And it is alright with us Thessalonikeans, because we are many and proud. But people from the countryside try to change their accent (if that hasn't already happened through the TV). 

Koutsomadi looks like is composed by two parts, koutso (kucho) and Madi(madhi). If it is an arvanitic word it would mean red&big or big&red. But it could derive also from turkish words (like Koutsovlah from kucuk vlah, small vlachia). An arvanite toponym that comes to my mind right now is Kriekouki (village in Attika or peloponesse??) it means redhaired (redheaded). Krye is head and Kuqi (kuchi, kouki) means red. Also Schimatari (alb Sqimatari, the name of this village means exactly welldressed, or proudlydressed).
Regarding what you said about dialects disappearing, I find it sad, because linguistic diferences are part of the culture of a nation. But I guess the globalisation, and the microglobalisations in our countries are assimilating all of us. It seems strange that we are here disscussing about our cultures, in a century we will all be american, drinking coke and eating mcdonalds with french(american)fries. I already smoke Marlboro, so I guess I m on that way.
Anyway, I still think something should be done to prevent this languages from disappearing. In albania we provide instruction in greek language until high school, and you can study hellenic culture in Tirana University -philologic sciences faculty. So I dont believe greek is gonna be lost in albania (fortunately)
Prej heshtjes...!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 07:57
Well, we won't be americans in a century, we will probably be 'europeans', speaking english next to our mother languages (who will still be used, you can't force like 80 million germans to change their language).

Koutsompdi is my grandmother's village. The village used to have two names Linoi- Greek for sure, and Koutsomodi. My grandmother believes it's Greek but to me it sounded more arvanitic. After all it is located close to the arvanitic areas of Peloponese. My grandmother's family wasn't arvanitic though. Probably the village was mixed, my grandmother tells me that some villagers called the village Linoi and some Koutsomodi.

Victory needs none.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 13:53
And what does linoi mean?
Prej heshtjes...!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 12:35
It is the place where grapes are 'sqeezed'  to create this liquid (moustos) which will later become wine. Linoi is plural of linos. The area had always traditionally produced grapes, wine and dried grapes (no idea how they are called in english). Corinthian dried grapes are famous.
The specific village is a perfect example of grape production. In about a month from now the big harvest will begin. I really hope I'll go there this summer, because I haven't gone for like 3 years.Unhappy

Victory needs none.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 15:25
Originally posted by xristar

The area had always traditionally produced grapes, wine and dried grapes (no idea how they are called in english). Corinthian dried grapes are famous.

Raisins Wink and indeed they're famous...Thumbs Up
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 08:03

Anyway, I still think something should be done to prevent this languages from disappearing. In albania we provide instruction in greek language until high school, and you can study hellenic culture in Tirana University -philologic sciences faculty. So I dont believe greek is gonna be lost in albania (fortunately)

Very interesting...I didn't know. On the other side you can see that Greeks that moved from Albania to Greece after the form of the state changed, were speaking fluetly (maybe not all ofcourse) which must have something to do with education as well not just talking the language at home.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 08:14

Very interesting...I didn't know. On the other side you can see that Greeks that moved from Albania to Greece after the form of the state changed, were speaking fluetly (maybe not all ofcourse) which must have something to do with education as well not just talking the language at home.

Actually any albanian citizen of the greek minority is fluent in greek, as also in the communism era they had the right (actually the duty) to be educated in their language. All of them know albanian, but most of them are not very fluent in standard (problems with pronounciation aparently). Regarding those who declare themselves as vorioepeirotes, believe me, not all of them belong to the respected greek community. Some of them are just albanians or vlach from albania who declare themselves as greek to enjoy some benefits (in the greek universities or in work).Thats why some of them are not fluent in greek (but they will become Big smile albanians learn very well and fastly foreign languages)

Prej heshtjes...!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>