Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An Ottoman Shipwreck on the shores of Gazi Magosa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Ottoman Shipwreck on the shores of Gazi Magosa
    Posted: 03-Jul-2006 at 18:21
An Ottoman Shiprwreck has been found near the shores of Gazimagusa (Famagusta), apparently from the fleet of Lala Mustafa Pasha.

I have no idea what the article says, but there are nice movies and photos:

http://www.politis-news.com/cgibin/hweb?-A=641595&-V=archivearticles

Edited by bg_turk - 03-Jul-2006 at 18:23
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2006 at 07:17
Thanks for the post bgTurk Thumbs Up. First time iam hearing of this, would love to hear a translation of the link you sent.

I know there is already a famous shipwreck inside Girne (Kyrenia) castle, iam sure this new finding will also be popular.

Lets just hope its in better condition than the shipwreck in Girne.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 04:25

The article is about the finding of the shipwreck and a small  synopsis of the Famagusta siege in 1570.

The archaelogists believe that the shipwreck was a gunboat, part of the Lala Mustafa Pasha fleet, armed with the latest techology (of that era) cannons. The one cannon is in perfect condition with calibre 10cm, but the other two are destroyed (length 3m). The amateur divers that first spotted the shipwreck, found also iron cannonballs with bigger calibre, the archaelogists believe that they will find bigger cannons burried in the sand. They also found an anchor, but almost destroyed, and the wooden side of the ship with length more than 30m.
The divers after their discovery, called immediately the Archaelogist Authorities, and advised them to act quickly because the shipwreck is only in 40m  depth. That means approachable to other amateur divers who could take some ''souvenirs''.  Spyros Spyrou and Stefanos Mylonas the two divers, refused any rewards for their findings, they only wish that they can help in the salvage of the shipwreck and the restoration of it in a museum.

It's not a very accurate translation, but i tried to my best. I translated only the most important parts about the finding of the shipwreck and not the Famagusta Siege synopsis.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 01:33
Thanks for the translation, Giannis. 
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 08:14
Thanks for the translation Giannis

Originally posted by Giannis

Spyros Spyrou and Stefanos Mylonas the two divers, refused any rewards for their findings, they only wish that they can help in the salvage of the shipwreck and the restoration of it in a museum.

True historians Clap

Lets hope they get what they requested.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 08:31
It's ok guys, bg_turk thanks for posting this subject. AE lucks in naval history.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply