Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A "Hedonistic Country"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A "Hedonistic Country"?
    Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 04:23
If alcoholism is drinking alcohol then how come we don't call alcoholics all the people who drink alcohol? Because there is a fundamental difference between drinking alcohol and uncontrollable habit of drinking alcohol.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 09:15

But ataman, alcoholics are NOT hedonists. I thought you had understood that already ... Confused  As a matter of fact, some of those people addicted to drinking, gambling, sex, etc. are depressed and even suicidal and are definitely not enjoying what they are doing - they just cannot stop it.

It's hard to imagine a hedonist being "depressed" and "suicidal".

If one insists upon finding a link between hedonism and morality, one could at best call a TRUE hedonist AMORAL rather than IMMORAL. Maybe, ataman, that's the term you're looking for?

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by flyingzone

But ataman, alcoholics are NOT hedonists. I thought you had understood that already ... Confused 

Flyingzone, I know that alcoholics are not hedonists. In this point I agree with you Smile.
This my message: 'If alcoholism is drinking alcohol then how come we don't call alcoholics all the people who drink alcohol? Because there is a fundamental difference between drinking alcohol and uncontrollable habit of drinking alcohol.' was only a reply to Aelfgifu comment 'If Hedonism is the pursuit of pleasure, how can it be fundamentally different from pleasure?'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123