Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?
    Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by konstantinius

Some of you are not going to like this but I think that Germany is too small today. All those areas up to Koeningsberg and Tallin are German, well not anymore since the populations left, I guess. Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West. It was the Western allies who accomodated the Reds to every extend imposing an artifial and superimposed order of things in post-war Europe.
If Poland is seeking compensation from Germany, well, shouldn't they seek compensation from Russia too? Or is that a no-no? 

Good to see that you are right at least in one point.

The former German province of "Ostpreussen" whose capital Kaliningrad was, was the product of German colonial expansion from the 13th century onwards and throughout the next seven centuries never really changed its status as a German colony.
Whilst the major urban centres, mostly the merchant cities on the Baltic Sea were indeed almost totally Germanised, the agricultural hinterland was, apart from the German aristocratic land owners, mainly inhabitated by the indigenous population, a mixture of Baltic and Slavic people.
In a number of censi ( is that the plural of census?) in the last years of the second German Empire, the ethnic division between Germans and Poles and Baltic people was about 50%:50%.
To say that these regions have been thoroughly German at any point in history, is simply wrong.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 14:00

Oh no, I'm very knowledgeable. I CHOOSE to support this oppinion and I don't care about its political correctness or lack thereof.
And, yes, you're right: Germany should not be seeking compensations.

Turkey is too small, England is too small, France, Spain, Hungary, Poland are too small, etc....
You have a right to write idiotic post ( we have fredom of speech on this forum ) and I have right to call such post idiotic.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by Komnenos

Some of you are not going to like this but I think that Germany is too small today. All those areas up to Koeningsberg and Tallin are German, well not anymore since the populations left, I guess. Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West. It was the Western allies who accomodated the Reds to every extend imposing an artifial and superimposed order of things in post-war Europe.
If Poland is seeking compensation from Germany, well, shouldn't they seek compensation from Russia too? Or is that a no-no? 

The former German province of "Ostpreussen" whose capital Kaliningrad was, was the product of German colonial expansion from the 13th century onwards and throughout the next seven centuries never really changed its status as a German colony.
Whilst the major urban centres, mostly the merchant cities on the Baltic Sea were indeed almost totally Germanised, the agricultural hinterland was, apart from the German aristocratic land owners, mainly inhabitated by the indigenous population, a mixture of Baltic and Slavic people.
In a number of censi ( is that the plural of census?) in the last years of the second German Empire, the ethnic division between Germans and Poles and Baltic people was about 50%:50%.
To say that these regions have been thoroughly German at any point in history, is simply wrong.

Konstantinius, as Komnenos fairly wrote in above post, the history of the lands You are talking about is much more complicated than You think.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 05:15

Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West.

You have made some valid points here.

Poland was simply picked up and moved 100-km westward.

In my opnion,Russkies equally bear responsibility with The Germans for what happened to Poland in the Second World War.

All in all, it was the Nazi-Soviet Pact,one of the most astonishing treaties of history given the fact two extremly hostile regimes come to terms, that encouraged The Germans to invade Poland and sing the song ''Wir fahren nach Polen''.

Edited by TheDiplomat - 09-Oct-2006 at 05:15
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:07
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West.

In my opnion,Russkies equally bear responsibility with The Germans for what happened to Poland in the Second World War.

All in all, it was the Nazi-Soviet Pact,one of the most astonishing treaties of history given the fact two extremly hostile regimes come to terms, that encouraged The Germans to invade Poland and sing the song ''Wir fahren nach Polen''.

I agree with You. He made some valid points, actually oneErmm, but his conclusions are ridiculous. Can You translate the title of the song You mentioned?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:51

First of all, why it is okay to refer to the Russian people as "Russkies", in my book a slightly derogative term, and secondly the translation of the song is simply: "We are going to Poland !"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 06:52
Russians call themselves ''Ruskie'' in the Russian language,and I was answering to Konstantinus' cocnern.therefore i prefered to repeat in the way he wrote

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 08:40
Originally posted by Majkes

I agree with You. He made some valid points, actually oneErmm, but his conclusions are ridiculous. Can You translate the title of the song You mentioned?

Meanwhile, i would like to clarify the fact that by no means i argue that Poland should give any land back to Germany.All in all it was The Whrmacht together with The Red Army ofcourse which devastated Poland.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 07:46
Originally posted by Komnenos

But there also were referendums after WWI in some parts of Eastern Prussia, AFAIK with rather limited success for the polish side. 

Do you have any numbers about how much of the population was allowed to stay in East Prussia after 1945? Obviously this would shed some light on how much of the population the Poles themselves considered as Polish.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 13:24
Germany's eastern borders originally were inhabited by Slavs, the borders of Germany are just a symbol of mass genocide, they whiped out the Polabians and other western slavic groups inhabiting that land. Prussia is also a symbol of genocide as the Teutonic knights, after being invited by Konrad mazowiecki to help with the Prussian "problem", totally whipped them out by ocnverting the pagans witht he sword. Prussia and east germany are symbols of genocide. And no there is no reaosn why Poland should give back the land it gained for what it went through in the second world war, if anything they should get back their eastern borders with the ones they got after the war.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Sarmata

Germany's eastern borders originally were inhabited by Slavs, the borders of Germany are just a symbol of mass genocide, they whiped out the Polabians and other western slavic groups inhabiting that land. Prussia is also a symbol of genocide as the Teutonic knights, after being invited by Konrad mazowiecki to help with the Prussian "problem", totally whipped them out by ocnverting the pagans witht he sword. Prussia and east germany are symbols of genocide. And no there is no reaosn why Poland should give back the land it gained for what it went through in the second world war, if anything they should get back their eastern borders with the ones they got after the war.

This isn't leading anywhere.
Sure, you are right that the German colonisation of its former Eastern provinces was a rather bloody and nasty affair, but to call every war of conquest a "genocide' will lead to a inflation of the usage of the term, and thus turn "genocide" into a completely meaningless phrase. Which would do great injustice to those events that with right are called genocides: , the Rwandan , the Armenian, the genocide on the Slavic population by the Nazis, the Shoa, etc.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 04:28

Maybe we can agree that the Eastern parts of pre-WWII Germany are a symbol for ethnic cleansing? Wacko

I think I have asked a legitimate question regarding Komnenos' assertion that large parts of East Prussia's population were part-polish. I am actually a bit ignorant about statistics re. the number of "Autochtones" vs. the total population in the various parts of pre-WWII East Germany, although I actually find the topic slightly interesting.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 09:15
Prussia was a historical reality untill its abolishment post-WW II. Historically, yes, it was a creation of expansion and taking over of local populations, i.e. pagan Lithuanians of the time; but the history of the creation of most European states can boast the same: should the Spaniards speak of the expulsion of the Moors? The Norman nobility of its systematic take-over of the thegns in post-Hastings England? The systematic subjugation of the fiercely independent French nobility,especially during the reigns of Phillip Augustus and his father ( Louis IV, V,or VI, I am not sure which, sorry)? The enormous chaos and bloodshed of the French revolution? The colonial wars of imperialistic expansion in Africa and Asia? Even Poles have waged wars of agression against their neighbors (Lithuania? Please correct me if I'm wrong) during their short times as independent state, as have Hungarians againsts Croats and Romanians. Actually, when you get to the Balkans the list gets rather long.
My point is, how can someone complain about the unfairness of the creation of the Prussian entity since a similar act of agression/expansion is very likely to have been an integral part of the creation of your own ethnic unit within the post-1600 history of Europe? Is there actually a European nation  that can claim a blank record on this? Belgium, Ireland, and Finland are perhaps the only ones out of what, 50-so European nations? Europeans have been the bloodiest combatants in world history, with the Americans racing to catch up in recent years. Hellow, wake up. Europeans have bloodied and exterminated populations on other continents and caused unspeakable bloodshed amongst themselves over issues of religion and nationalism and TWO  World Wars. The expansion of Prussia is what makes your ear sweat?
Germany's affliction was that it turned Nazi and rose to dominate all of  Europe, not its traditional sphere of influence NE, E, SE of its present eastern border.

Edited by konstantinius - 22-Oct-2006 at 20:56
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345