Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?
    Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 17:55
Originally posted by Majkes

And You again are not right that You can't seek compensations for acts of war. Burning civilians houses and killing innocent civilians is a war crime and in civilized countries ( maybe in Germany not? I don't know ) it is punished.

I totally agree on this one, and this was precisely my point from the very beginning, namely that civilians are entitled to seek justice in intenational courts for crimes comitted against them by the millitaries under the direct contol of other counties. Evey Pole who has lost relatives or poperties as a result of the German agession into her counties is entitled to seek compenastion, as are the German civilians who have been wrongfully expelled from their homeland.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 14:03
Originally posted by bg_turk

And You again are not right that You can't seek compensations for acts of war. Burning civilians houses and killing innocent civilians is a war crime and in civilized countries ( maybe in Germany not? I don't know ) it is punished.

I totally agree on this one, and this was precisely my point from the very beginning, namely that civilians are entitled to seek justice in intenational courts for crimes comitted against them by the millitaries under the direct contol of other counties. Evey Pole who has lost relatives or poperties as a result of the German agession into her counties is entitled to seek compenastion, as are the German civilians who have been wrongfully expelled from their homeland.

I never said that Germans don't have right to demand compensations. I'm just sure German goverment should take responsibility for this as I stated in my previous post.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 04:08
Originally posted by Temujin

is there actually a difference? Wink
I actually think the CDU doesn't care as much about the Vertriebenenverbnde as the CSU does. Certainly Merkel would not let her foreign policy be dictated by the Sudetendeutsche Landsmannschaft.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 04:17
Originally posted by bg_turk

But international practice is exactly the other way round, or at least German courts say so Wink . You may like to google for Distomo and Kommeno (re. WWII), or Varvarin (re. a more recent military conflict). There may be more cases from other wars that I'm not aware of at the moment.

Edited by yan. - 05-Aug-2006 at 04:17
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by yan.

Originally posted by Temujin

is there actually a difference? Wink
I actually think the CDU doesn't care as much about the Vertriebenenverbnde as the CSU does. Certainly Merkel would not let her foreign policy be dictated by the Sudetendeutsche Landsmannschaft.

That's why I fought she is in CSU.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:18
No I think I'm quite clear. It's You who completely don't understand international law what is most important here. I'm not saying only about neo nazist like Prussian Treuhand but about Ericha Steinbach and her Union of Expelled. I know they want to get back their estates by European Court. If You don't understand that is not good for polish-german relationships it would mean that it is hard for You to understand anything.
Well, Poland's counter claims didn't seem to alarm anyone in Germany, so it's really not all that easy to understand why some Polish seem to be so furious. Of course that Prussian Treuhand company's claims are rather outrageous and I don't think anyone expects them to be benficial to Polish-German relations. But then, German citizens do have constitutional rights, among them (probably) founding enterprises and filing lawsuits in foreign countries. I just don't think there would be a legal basis to make them stop that nonsense.

I also never said anything about Prussian Treuhand demanding money from Russia. I'm saying that Mr. Stoiber e.g. never said anything likre Russia have to pay for the expelled.
But you have to admit your statement "I can only add that somehow I haven't heard Germans demanding compensations from Russian for properties lost in Konigsberg ( Kaliningrad ) region." isn't really unambigious, don't you Smile?

The same Union of Expelled never said Russians should return our lands. They only are saying about smaller countries especially Czech Republic which they feel the weakest.
You mean they never said the Russians should return german lands, or should they return polish lands? If the former, I don't think you're correct. It's just much less on the radar because - except in Bavaria, probably - the role of the Vertriebenenverbnde in politics is next-to-negligible nowadays. What Stoiber is doing is really a separate Bavarian-Czech issue that has to do with the high number of Sudeten Germans fleeing to Bavaria after the war and the fact that the (organized) Sudeten Germans are more hardline than other expelled are.

There is no legal reason but there are moral and political reasons e.g. people lost their properties because of their goverment actions and other who had a luck to live more on the west didn't. Second - good relations with neighbours who will get mad if they would have to pay a cent to the Germans. They will never get their land as Poland get their land because  Poland get their land on the base of decision of the Allies in Jalta and Teheran and if Germans want to sue anyone they should sue USA, Russia and GB first and demand of changing after War World II World Order. There is no guarante they not send lawsuits but they will be dismissed because they should have sued Germany if Germany would accept their claims. The same like Polish citizens make claims before EU Court but not against Ukraine but against Poland. So, please stop posting that Germany can't do it, that it is not possible and crap like that. This is nothing strange and Germany should be responsible for losses caused to their citizens by its goverment.
Actually, there was some form of compensation called Lastenausgleich. I think they - naturally - didn't compensate the total amount of property lost, and they - fairly - compensated also those who lost property as direct result of the war (i.e. in bomb raids, battles etc). Of course it was impossible to compensate people to the whole amount of property lost, and I don't think this would even be possible today. And even if it was possible, I don't think it would be worth it - once because then one could also start to compensate people for what happened in WWI, or the inflation, or whatever - it's part of the nature of wars that there is massive property loss, after all. Second, as said before, the PT GmbH & Co KG would probably file lawsuits anyway because they want the land, not the money, and whether they can get money from some third party will probably neither be relevant to them nor to the respective courts.

And this is not getting ungry this is simple unjustice if Poland would have to pay to Germans for WWII.
I agree to some point. But Poland doesn't have to pay just because a certain company thinks so. The whole reason Poland is angry is a sorry bunch of old men that maybe 5-10% of all Germans are even aware of, and with whom even less agree with.

It's something else than satirist. I must admit by the way that Germans media are doing very bad job in polish germans relations. Before the World Cup they were screaming about mnad Polish fans who prepare to the invasion. During World Cup german tv e.g. were calling polish thieves and there was even program on tv filled with poor anti polish jokes. Articles like that Podolski and Klose are Polish repayment for stolen cars and crap like that also don't help. Somehow we didn't feel that during the World Cup we are with friends like World Cup slogan was saying. About the satire I don't give a f**k if they joke from a Duck. Personally I would have expelled him from Poland. 
Thank god the Polish media is so much better Wink . If you think of it, stolen cars would be an issue that Germans could really identify with LOL. But then, the PT probably doesn't care too much about popularity.

Law act about Poland being responsible for their citizens lost land doesn't say anything about Germans. It is only a gesture of good will towards Ukraine and other Eastern Countries and towards its own citizens. we just have accepted those claims and said we are responsible for that. German goverment can simply do the same, to issue a law act which will say e.g. that Germans expelled from Poland will get money from German goverment and please spare me fairytales they don't want money but to get back their land. They would accept money without winking the same like Polish. Also this Polish law act doesn't have anything to do with Prussian Treuhand.
But when was the law adopted?

Re. the PT, they certainly say they want the land. Given their background, I wouldn't outright dismiss that fact. Edit: even if one could argue whether they want it for personal, commercial or political reasons. 

And You again are not right that You can't seek compensations for acts of war. Burning civilians houses and killing innocent civilians is a war crime and in civilized countries ( maybe in Germany not? I don't know ) it is punished. Your pseudo law lecture is quite funny thoughLOL.
Of course the individuals who commit such crimes should be punished to the full extent of the law, or maybe even a bit more if you ask me. But this thread is not about punishment for crimes, it's about compensation for material losses. Give me some cases where individuals by legal action succesfully enforced compensation for an act of war (not forced labour or grave violations of human rights without direct connection to military action) from a foreign  country, and I will stand corrected.

Edited by yan. - 05-Aug-2006 at 05:31
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:19

That's why I fought she is in CSU.
But then she'd have to be elected in Bavaria.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 06:58
ok, to close this endless discussion when everyone of us has some good points I will say that neither Germany should pay compensations 60 years after WWII nor should Poland. It should be internal issue of this countries cause its poisons our relationships to some degre. Of course it's not that serious. With time running the problems with war are getting less important issue.
German goverment had to get on with Jews and paid them compensations. Of course such cases are usually ended with some kind of agreement. Also Jews in US sued Polish goverment for their lost properties. We don't know what will be the result. Generally this is vere arguable matter among the lawyers.

By the way something is wrong with Your link to probably some polish article. I would like to see it if You have some other link.  
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 09:23

ok, to close this endless discussion when everyone of us has some good points I will say that neither Germany should pay compensations 60 years after WWII nor should Poland. It should be internal issue of this countries cause its poisons our relationships to some degre. Of course it's not that serious. With time running the problems with war are getting less important issue.
German goverment had to get on with Jews and paid them compensations. Of course such cases are usually ended with some kind of agreement. Also Jews in US sued Polish goverment for their lost properties. We don't know what will be the result. Generally this is vere arguable matter among the lawyers.

By the way something is wrong with Your link to probably some polish article. I would like to see it if You have some other link.  

Agree. I won't have much time to post for the next eight weeks or so anyway.

This is the correct links:

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 14:36
Originally posted by yan.

Agree. I won't have much time to post for the next eight weeks or so anyway.

This is the correct links:

Ok, I've seen it. It wasn't nice I admitAngry though I don't like Schroder.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 23:30
A recent article related to the subject on BBC"

">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4781369.stm

Mr Kaczynski also criticised Erika Steinbach, president of the Federation of the Expelled, who organised the exhibition.

"We would like everything that is linked to the name of Erika Steinbach to end as quickly as possible because nothing good will come out of it for Poland, Germany or Europe," he said.

Ms Steinbach highlights the plight of some 13 million expelled Germans

Edited by bg_turk - 10-Aug-2006 at 23:32
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:31
I have actually spoken to many people from the Sudetenland. Many escaped (often on foot or if they had with horse and carriage) to West Germany, fleeing the Russians.

They were then housed in refugee camps. Most accepted that Germany was defeated and was thus most likely liable to give up land (unlike many other peoples, ie the Palestinians). Most then progressed to start a new life and by the 1950s were integrated into society. We are talking of millions of refugees here by the way!

Many also decided to move on, migrating to especially Canada and Australia. The plight of these people and the injustice that has overcome them has so far not received the attention it deserves!

I know from what these people have told me that the land ceased certainly contained a majority German population. That was the reason Hitler originally gave for making "Anschluss" with these parts of Europe. Hence I believe that the Czech population took unfair advantage of the defeated and already weakened German population of those areas to claim land to which they never had any right anyway.

Unfortunately Germany has given up most land claims in Poland, although the last I heard, it is still claiming the current enclave of Koenigsberg (Kalliningrad). I am unsure if land claims persist in the Czech Republic.

I do know however that the Principlaity of Lichtenstein is still actively seeking the return of land in the Czech Republic, which was confiscated by the communists. LAst I heard on that HSH's claim in the ICJ was defeated but that does not mean that the Principality will give up.

It would also be interesting to hear of how many of the refugees went to Austria, seeming that most if the Czech Republic was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire till 1918 and if the Austrian Republic is still claiming land in the Czech Republic.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 08:58
Germans of Sudety Land were in their majority supporters of Hitler. They wanted of, and they contributed to the destruction of Tchechoslovakia in 1938. This is why their removal was approved by America and Great Britain. It is written in the text of Potsdam agreement. If you live in a conuntry that did not experience a German aggression, terror mass murders and mass robbery, you probebly will not notice the difference between the agrressor and suppressed people. When judging their "expulsion" it is necessary to consider what they had done in Autumn 1938 and later on - to make the road for Hitler to annex and suppress other nations. It is not the same to remove Hitler's supporters and those who oppose Hitler - it is not the same.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by gideon's helpers

]  
Unfortunately Germany has given up most land claims in Poland, although the last I heard, it is still claiming the current enclave of Koenigsberg (Kalliningrad). I am unsure if land claims persist in the Czech Republic.

Why unfortunately? Please explain!

In the so-called "Zwei + Vier Vertrag (Two+four treaty) of September 12, 1990 between the then two German states and the four Allied powers, that paved the way for the re-unification a month later, Germany waived any claims for any of the territories east of the "Oder-Neisse line" or any where else, and therefore definitively recognised the existing borders between Germany, and Poland, CSSR and the SU, or any of their successor states, respectively.
Germany does currently not have any territorial claims on any areas outside its borders.

Edited by Komnenos - 26-Sep-2006 at 13:19
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by gideon's helpers

]  

Why unfortunately? Please explain!

I'm not even going to respond to this guy. I would be probably banned. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 03:10

The theory is good, but the question is how it shall be implemented in practice. I think that German uthorities shall compensate their German citizens.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 03:53
Sorry, but:

1) Germans DID NOT PAY compensations to "all others". It is a FAIRY TALE or - more precisely, a lie, to deceive those who do not know the detailes of the case. So, a) the official compnsations as per Potsdam agreement in respect of Poland were a small part of actual lossess, b) much part of them was frauded because of ticks by Soviet government in cooperation of undemocratic authorities in Poland, c) much part of this unfull compensations was resigned in 1954.
2) It will be true to say that Germans paid a considerable part of compensations if you attribute to the volume of compensations the property left by resettled Germans.

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 16:03
The plight of Germanic populations fleing the advancing Russians or being outright expelled is one of the WW II dramas that used to be taboo since any talk of it was thought to encourage neo-Nazi sentiments. Yet there were HUGE war crimes commited against the afore mentioned populations, especially by advancing Red troops through Germany. These crimes will NEVER be addressed since the defeated usually simply has to accept his fortune and shut up. Of course we have to look at how this plight was created. Was it their fault that they listened to Hitler and were taken in by his rampant nationalism? Does that give them the right to complain of how they were treated after the defeat? When you rise up to f... the whole world, you'd better succeed 'cause otherwise the whole world is going to f... you. Vae victus. 

Some of you are not going to like this but I think that Germany is too small today. All those areas up to Koeningsberg and Tallin are German, well not anymore since the populations left, I guess. Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West. It was the Western allies who accomodated the Reds to every extend imposing an artifial and superimposed order of things in post-war Europe.
If Poland is seeking compensation from Germany, well, shouldn't they seek compensation from Russia too? Or is that a no-no? 

" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 16:19
Originally posted by konstantinius

The plight of Germanic populations fleing the advancing Russians or being outright expelled is one of the WW II dramas that used to be taboo since any talk of it was thought to encourage neo-Nazi sentiments. Yet there were HUGE war crimes commited against the afore mentioned populations, especially by advancing Red troops through Germany. These crimes will NEVER be addressed since the defeated usually simply has to accept his fortune and shut up. Of course we have to look at how this plight was created. Was it their fault that they listened to Hitler and were taken in by his rampant nationalism? Does that give them the right to complain of how they were treated after the defeat? When you rise up to f... the whole world, you'd better succeed 'cause otherwise the whole world is going to f... you. Vae victus. 

Some of you are not going to like this but I think that Germany is too small today. All those areas up to Koeningsberg and Tallin are German, well not anymore since the populations left, I guess. Germany lost lands just because the Russkies had to take Polish lands and that pushed the borders further West. It was the Western allies who accomodated the Reds to every extend imposing an artifial and superimposed order of things in post-war Europe.
If Poland is seeking compensation from Germany, well, shouldn't they seek compensation from Russia too? Or is that a no-no? 

It's not Poland seeking compensation but some Germans. Why don't You tell them to seek compensation from Russia. Rest of Your post proves just Your lack of knowledge in the subject and is complete bullsh*t. Tell it to Estonians that they belong to Germany. If we would thinking Your way Poland should be stretching from Baltic sea to the Black Sea.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 22:38
Oh no, I'm very knowledgeable. I CHOOSE to support this oppinion and I don't care about its political correctness or lack thereof.
And, yes, you're right: Germany should not be seeking compensations.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>