Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Germans of Sudetenland - where are they now?
    Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 12:20
Originally posted by yan.

Germany never asked for compensation from anyone. Of course it would be a rather unintelligent move, too. That Poland mistakes a group of privateers like the Prussian Treuhand as a representation of the german public is a rather alarming sign, though. Maybe some people need to cool down a bit.

Yan, I believe that most of the Poles and Germans want normal relationships between our countries. Therefore I can't understand why German government don't want to do what Polish government did years ago. Polish government accepted that if any Polish citizen (this one who was expulsed from these territories which are today in Lithuania, Belorus and Ukraine) wants any compesation for lost property, he has to address his demands to Polish government. In this way Poland avoided any problem with our neighbours and our relationships are not injured by any demands of expulsed Poles.
Why German government won't do the same? Why German government ignores this problem and permits to injure our relationships? Do you know what feel the Poles who are threated by these German minority (like Prussian Treuhand) which wants to get back their properties in Poland?

Edited by ataman - 12-Jul-2006 at 12:21
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 13:47

wintersonnenwende is a neo-nazi or at leat a revisionist website, so don't take it too seriously.

In answer to the OP: A lot of them finally settled in Bavaria. That's why the CSU is rather hardline on German-Czech relations.

The numbers of deported and the wikipedia excerpt sound about right. The expulsions and violence started after the capitulation of the Wehrmacht, with probably quite obvious reasons (occupation of bohemia and moravia, treatment of czechs, or for the slovaks the suppression of the slovak uprising of 1944).

I've read that several 100.000 Czechs were deported from the Sudeten areas after 1938, so your friend is probably right.

Since most states decline remedies for personal losses in connection to WWII - for good reason, btw - there are few chances anyone from those areas will ever see a cent of compensation. Just like people who had their houses destroyed or relatives killed by German troops, or British bombs for that matter. That doesn't mean that noone tries to get money, of course.

I don't know what the chances are for Sudeten Germans to return to the czech republic, but I guess with the EU-membership of Czech there exists some kind of procedure to settle there.

I answer to some other posts: Germans in Czechoslovakia were certainly treated much better than Germans in South Tyrol (I think no status of German as an official language, no german schools, no german political parties etc, Mussolini definitely wanted them out, and in the end, Germany and Italy even agreed to move them to Poland and the Crimea). The Sudeten germans (or at least Henlein and his followers)  let themselves be used as Hitlers tool.

Germany never asked for compensation from anyone. Of course it would be a rather unintelligent move, too. That Poland mistakes a group of privateers like the Prussian Treuhand as a representation of the german public is a rather alarming sign, though. Maybe some people need to cool down a bit.

Wikipedia has an entry with estimations of losses among the German population in Eastern Europe at the end and after WWII which gives rather familar numbers. Keep in mind that these numbers include or may include evacuations from areas threatened by the Red Army at the end of WWII, forced expulsions at the beginning and after WWII, and deportations to labour camps in the USSR, and include an error range.

Sudeten refers to a group of mountain ranges in northern Bohemia and Moravia (that is, today's Czech Republic). The name Sudetendeutsche generally refers to ethnic Germans in the border areas of Bohemia and Moravia to Germany.

That article "Czechoslovakia takes Revenge" refers to events within Czechoslovakia. That the towns they mention sound german is because they were inhabitated by Germans and therefore also had German names (Aussig is, for example, the german name for Usti nad Labem, Troppau is the German name for Opava). That they distinguish between German and Austrian ethnicity seems a bit artificial. Maybe it's because Czechoslovakia had been part of the Austro-Hungarian empire before 1919. Anyway, the article didn't seem to contain any mention of events on Austrian (as of post-1919) soil.

it's not really correct that the evacuations from East Prussia etc. were all started on official order. At first, they were rather spontanous. The authorities wanted the army to fight harder and of course giving the impression they'd have to protect their women and children would be needed. Also, leaving parts of German territory would be bad for the morale in areas further within the Reich. Thus, they even forbade evacuations at first until it was almost too late (onset of winter etc.).

Back to the sudetes, I think the expulsions had little to do with orders of the Great Powers. As stated, the violence started right after May 9th, and I don't think the Czechs did receive any orders from the US, Soviet or British governments. I think Hungary was a different story, but then, Hungary had been treated as an ally by the Germans.
I agree with Your quotes. Good to hear a reasonable GermanWink. We probably exaggerate number of Germans who would want Poland to pay some compensations for the expelled Germans but such people like Ericha Steinbach ( poor leader of Union of Expelled - her father threw from the house Polish familly in Gdynia and lived there during the war, when Red army came He escaped. Now Mrs. Steinbach claims to be a victim of expulsion ) who is in authorities of CSU are not god for Polish-German relationships. We really should end up all discussions between Poland and Germany about compensations. It should be left behind and close only for historics to discuss or for us of course. 
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 13:10
Originally posted by ataman

Yan, I believe that most of the Poles and Germans want normal relationships between our countries. Therefore I can't understand why German government don't want to do what Polish government did years ago. Polish government accepted that if any Polish citizen (this one who was expulsed from these territories which are today in Lithuania, Belorus and Ukraine) wants any compesation for lost property, he has to address his demands to Polish government. In this way Poland avoided any problem with our neighbours and our relationships are not injured by any demands of expulsed Poles.
Why German government won't do the same? Why German government ignores this problem and permits to injure our relationships? Do you know what feel the Poles who are threated by these German minority (like Prussian Treuhand) which wants to get back their properties in Poland?

The answer probably is: They simply have more important things to do than caring about every turn of popular sentiment in some foreign country.

Are you saying that Polish citizens are not allowed to go to the European court in order to try and gain some real estate in Wolhynia or Galicia, i.e. does Poland restrict its citizen's right on due process out of fear of some other country's populists? My guess is this isn't really the case, and if there was any valuable real estate in Western Ukraine, someone would eventually come up with exactly that Treuhand idea. When exactly was that regulation you mentioned introduced, btw?

I guess the German government's position is that its citizens are free to seek compensation for whatever and whereever. As long as you can find an instance that is interested in your worries, feel free to complain. Esp since in turn, citizens of other countries are free to seek compensation for whatever they want from the German government. But certainly it's not the German taxpayer's responsibilty to compensate people for what foreign Governments have done to them.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 14:28

The answer probably is: They simply have more important things to do than caring about every turn of popular sentiment in some foreign country.

Are you saying that Polish citizens are not allowed to go to the European court in order to try and gain some real estate in Wolhynia or Galicia, i.e. does Poland restrict its citizen's right on due process out of fear of some other country's populists? My guess is this isn't really the case, and if there was any valuable real estate in Western Ukraine, someone would eventually come up with exactly that Treuhand idea. When exactly was that regulation you mentioned introduced, btw?

I guess the German government's position is that its citizens are free to seek compensation for whatever and whereever. As long as you can find an instance that is interested in your worries, feel free to complain. Esp since in turn, citizens of other countries are free to seek compensation for whatever they want from the German government. But certainly it's not the German taxpayer's responsibilty to compensate people for what foreign Governments have done to them.

They were very valuable real estates in Western Ukraine, Belarous and Lithuania e.g. palaces of Polish Aristocracy. People can sue Polish goverment and they are doing so. Later they can go to the European Court but against Poland. I think that if Poland can afford to take claims against their neighbours for its Budget, German goverment should be also able to do so. If not why are Germans suprised that e.g. Polish Local Communes will demand compensations from Germany? If German can demand their money than Polish will do it as well. It would be enormous money. Warsaw Local Commune values its losses for 50 billions euro and its only for destroyed buildings.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 07:22

Yan, I think that Majkes has written enough and I don't need to explain more. Of course I agree with Majkes.
Let me add only one think - if 60 years wasn't enough for German government to finish this problem, don't be suprise that our relationships still are under influence of this problem. Instead belittle this problem, German government should finally take care of it.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 11:01
Originally posted by Majkes

They were very valuable real estates in Western Ukraine, Belarous and Lithuania e.g. palaces of Polish Aristocracy. People can sue Polish goverment and they are doing so. Later they can go to the European Court but against Poland. I think that if Poland can afford to take claims against their neighbours for its Budget, German goverment should be also able to do so. If not why are Germans suprised that e.g. Polish Local Communes will demand compensations from Germany? If German can demand their money than Polish will do it as well. It would be enormous money. Warsaw Local Commune values its losses for 50 billions euro and its only for destroyed buildings.
LOL Good look for demanding compensation for damages from acts of war from anyone, though...

Seriously: I don't really think Poland could do anything if some of its citizens started to bring charges for restitution (AFAIK, the Prussian Treuhand does not seek compensation) before a Lithuanian, and then an EU court. Ukraine and Belarus aren't EU members, so a strategy a la Prussian Treuhand cannot work there (yet).

You're not really saying Germany should start throwing money at fomer East-Elbian aristocrats just to appease some foreign populists, are you? Don't you think there would be more rewarding ways to spend taxpayer's money?
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 11:16

Yan, I think that Majkes has written enough and I don't need to explain more. Of course I agree with Majkes.
Let me add only one think - if 60 years wasn't enough for German government to finish this problem, don't be suprise that our relationships still are under influence of this problem. Instead belittle this problem, German government should finally take care of it.
It's only one, not sixty, years that Poland is in the EU, so the problem is not really that old.

Even then, what should the German government have done? Hand out enough money to compensate people for the loss of about hundred thousand square kilometers, just to prevent a bunch of greedy old men from being laughed at by the EU court? Get real, our Government would rather see the German embassy in Warsaw burned to the ground by an angry nationalistic mob. And rightly so.

Edited by yan. - 27-Jul-2006 at 11:18
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 20:17
I agree with Yan that the German government cannot be expected to deal with the human right violations against its citizens caused by another country.

Human rights are an individual issue and cannot be subject to political deals. Every human being is entitled to seek their human rights in the ECHR, and demand repatriation, repropriation and compensation from the authority that has expelled the from their homeland. No authority can take this right away. Germans, like everybody else, are and should be entitled to seek remedies for past wrongdoings against them.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by bg_turk

I agree with Yan that the German government cannot be expected to deal with the human right violations against its citizens caused by another country.

Human rights are an individual issue and cannot be subject to political deals. Every human being is entitled to seek their human rights in the ECHR, and demand repatriation, repropriation and compensation from the authority that has expelled the from their homeland. No authority can take this right away. Germans, like everybody else, are and should be entitled to seek remedies for past wrongdoings against them.

So Polish are also entitled to demand money for our much higher losses caused by Germans. You don't care abou German bunkruptcy? And what Human rights are You talking about? Is it breaking of Human Rights thet they will receive money for their properties from German goverment not Polish? Where do You see here Human Rights violation? So You admit that Germnans are the ones who want to dig in the past and start Nationalistic quarells. If German citizens will sue Poland than Poland and Polish will sue Germany. But when Germans sue Polish goverment You call it justice and when Polish and Poland want to sue Germans You call it Nationalism. Can You explain this?
BG Turk
Your lacjk of understanding of this problem is obvious. Are You a politician? Cause You talk like You are know better than others. I know what are Human rights. We fought for them much harder than You and You don't have to teach us. So if it is Your opinion how Polish and German relathions should be now than I think that we should pay to Germnans for their expelled citizens and Germ,ans should pay us for our expelled citizens from the East and of course for destroying our country and killing 6 milions people. What is Your opinion about such dealing with the problem?
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 09:58

But when Germans sue Polish goverment You call it justice and when Polish and Poland want to sue Germans You call it Nationalism. Can You explain this?

I think, that bg_turk dont sympathize to the slavic peoples (and to the christian peoples in principle). And i think, that he have personal reasons for this.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 10:09
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

But when Germans sue Polish goverment You call it justice and when Polish and Poland want to sue Germans You call it Nationalism. Can You explain this?

I think, that bg_turk dont sympathize to the slavic peoples (and to the christian peoples in principle). And i think, that he have personal reasons for this.

Yep, I also think so. Maybe He should leave Bulgaria and move to Turkey.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 14:22
That`s my personal opinion about the feelings of bg_turk about the slavs and the christians:

He is living in a region in Bulgaria(near to Turkey) where the turks and the muslim bulgarians(pomaks) are majority. He feel that turkish & muslim majority, and he thinks that the bulgarian turks must learn to speak only turkish language(and western languages too) but not also bulgarian(except if they want this). But i think, that in the same time he thinks that the kurds who are living in Turkey must learn to speak not only kurdish language but also turkish.

Also he supports most of the historical actions of Turkey and the Ottoman Empire. For him, the bloodly, the cruel, the destructive and the disgusting turkish invasion in the Balkans is the greatest thing, no matter how many were the christian victims and losses in the time of the turkish rule of the Balkans, and in the same time for him the liberation  of the balkan peoples from the oppressive turkish rule is a horrible thing.

He "don`t give a damn" about the islamic assimilation of millions bulgarians(and christians as a whole) in the times of the turkish rule in the Balkans, and he fervently supports the assimilation of big part of the bulgarian people into "Wackomacedonian peopleWacko" and "Wackopomak peopleWacko" nowadays.

For him the worst assimilation in the Balkans ever was the stupid communistic attempt to convert the bulgarian turks into bulgarians between 1984-1989. And he ascribe this event not only to the communistic rulers(they were bad rulers for all bulgarian citizens with small exceptions) but to the whole bulgarian people.

For him the real invaders in the Balkans were not the turks, but these christian states who helps for the liberation of the miserable/wretched christians who were living as a "giaurs" under the opppressive turkish islamic rule. In example, i don`t think that the brave resistance of the polish rulers against the turkish invaders were a good thing for him.
And so >>> he don`t like the slavs as a whole, except the "bosniaks" only because they are muslims(thanks to the turks, naturally) and they are a part of the turkish-muslim inheritance in the balkans.

But these are natural things for one turk & muslim, and because of that, he cannot make me angry. For me he is an interesting person, and i like to read his posts. In fact one of his posts cause me to become a member of AE, and i am pleased at that.

Edited by The Chargemaster - 19-Dec-2006 at 09:35
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 14:30

Hm, who are you to tell me to leave my country?

You are being ridiculous and unnecessarily defensive, maybe I unwittingly touched a raw nerve, but honestly it was not on purpose. I simply expressed my opinion that individual human rights cannot be held hostage to international politics. And both Poles and Germans are entitled to seek remedies for past and present violations against their persons.

I do not see what is so extreme and anti-slavic about my opinion, and why does it necessitate my expulsion from my country?

So if it is Your opinion how Polish and German relathions should be now than I think that we should pay to Germnans for their expelled citizens and Germ,ans should pay us for our expelled citizens from the East and of course for destroying our country and killing 6 milions people. What is Your opinion about such dealing with the problem?

You have failed to grasp the essence of my post. You are still in this "us verus them" mentality. My position is that every person, whether Polish or German, must be treated individually, regardless of their ethic origin. If Germany is going to go bankrupt for their crimes, so be it, they are paying for their crimes, it is not for you to worry about how Germany will pay. The fact that Germany has comitted crimes against the Polish people (quite henious and horrible by the way) does not in any way absolve Poland from crimes against her own people of German origin, because two wrongs do not make a right.

I believe that nobody should be allowed to steal the home and land of another just because of their ethnic origin.

Edited by bg_turk - 29-Jul-2006 at 14:43
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 14:36
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

That`s my personal opinion about the feelings of bg_turk for the slavs and the christians:

Wrong. I harbor no ill feelings towards Slavs, in fact I am very close to Slavs.

He is living in a region in Bulgaria(near to Turkey)

Wrong again. Kardjali is closer to the Greek border

He feel that turkish & muslim majority, and he thinks that the bulgarian turks must learn to speak only turkish language(and western languages too) but not also bulgarian(except if they want this).

Wrong. Never said anything like that. I said that Turks should have the right to study their language in ADDITION to Bulgarian, which is very very different from what you say above.

Also he supports most of the historical actions of Turkey and the Ottoman Empire.

wrong and offtopic

For him, the bloodly, the cruel, the destructive and the disgusting turkish invasion in the Balkans is the greatest thing, no matter how many were the christian victims and losses in the time of the turkish rule of the Balkans, and in the same time for him the liberation  of the balkan peoples from the oppressive turkish rule is a horrible thing.

He "don`t give a damn" about the islamic assimilation of millions bulgarians(and christians as a whole) in the times of the turkish rule in the Balkans, and he fervently supports the assimilation of big part of the bulgarian people into "Wackomacedonian peopleWacko" and "Wackopomak peopleWacko" nowadays.

For him the worst assimilation in the Balkans ever was the stupid communistic attempt to convert the bulgarian turks into bulgarians between 1984-1989. And he ascribe this event not only to the communistic rulers(they were bad rulers for all bulgarian citizens with small exceptions) but to the whole bulgarian people.

For him the real invaders in the Balkans were not the turks, but these christian states who helps for the liberation of the miserable/wretched christians who were living as a "giaurs" under the opppressive turkish islamic rule. In example, i don`t think that the brave resistance of the polish rulers against the turkish invaders were a good thing for him.
And so >>> he don`t like the slavs as a whole, except the "bosniaks" only because they are muslims(thanks to the turks, naturally) and they are a part of the turkish-muslim inheritance in the balkans.

But these are natural things for one turk & muslim, and because of that, he cannot make me angry. For me he is an interesting person, and i like to read his posts. In fact one of his posts cause me to become a member of AE, and i am pleased at that.

Charge,

I would love to answer your opinionated post about me but not now and not in this thread.

Off to New York now.

Edited by bg_turk - 29-Jul-2006 at 14:37
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 15:01

I am very close to Slavs.

In what way?

Wrong again. Kardjali is closer to the Greek border

But Kurdzali still is near to Turkey, and you know this very very well.
http://www.b-info.com/places/Bulgaria/data/maps/BG_map.gif
http://www.properties-contact.com/pics/bulgaria_map.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/melissaenderle/Serbia/images/Bulgaria-map.jpg

Wrong. Never said anything like that. I said that Turks should have the right to study their language in ADDITION to Bulgarian, which is very very different from what you say above.

No, is not wrong. You said that in "Non English Board", in the bulgarian topics and in bulgarian language.

But i like your new opinion.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 16:09

[QUOTE=Majkes]

Hm, who are you to tell me to leave my country? [QUOTE]

If You don't like Your own country You don't have to live in it. I didn't order You nothing.
I just don't like Yours one sided opinions when besides it's obvious You don't know much about the war as well as about expelling Germans. You also don't understant what I'm talking about and You write me about what are Human Rights like You would have been some kind of teacher or philosopher. I think everyone on this forum is enough intelligent to know what are human rights and You don't have to waste Your time for explaining this. Also right of ownership is not the only one. That one country takes on himself petitions of its citizens against other country is normal law practise and that is e.g Polish citizens who lost their properties on Ukraine or Belarous sue Polish goverment to pay for this. It would be hard to explain to Ukrainians that they have to pay compensations to Polish for our land. They didn't expelled Polish but SU and they also lost their properties and milions killed. Explain me why German goverment can't do the same towards Poland. Apparently relathions with Poland are not that important for them like for Polish goverment relations with Ukraine.
I can only add that somehow I haven't heard Germans demanding compensations from Russian for properties lost in Konigsberg ( Kaliningrad ) region. They are the loudest against Czech Republic cause they find them the easiest target.
And this is not a small group like Yan said. If I remember well Ericha Steinbach ( poor daughter of Nazi Officer, like I mentioned her daddy was expelled from Gdynia but She doesn't mention that few years earlier Germans expelled Polish famill living in their house ) leader of expelled is in authorities of CSU.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 16:15

You are being ridiculous and unnecessarily defensive, maybe I unwittingly touched a raw nerve, but honestly it was not on purpose. I simply expressed my opinion that individual human rights cannot be held hostage to international politics. And both Poles and Germans are entitled to seek remedies for past and present violations against their persons.

If You say that a country who lost 6 milions people because of German's war crimes should pay compensations to those who commited these crimes than You are offensive and those who have been killed who will pay them compensations? Every familly in Poland have such person.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 07:33
I don't think you really understand the situation either. Or you just have problems making yourself clear.

The idea of the Prussian Treuhand is to get that real estate back via the EU court of Justice. Naturally, they don't expect Polish, Czech, Slovak or whatever national courts to hand over that real estate, or to even accept their lawsuits. That's where the ECJ as superior instance comes into play. Obviously trying to get the ECJ to deal with real estate in the Kaliningrad oblast is rather futile, since Russia is no EU member yet (please correct me if I am wrong) and therefore the ECJ doesn't have any jurisdiction over it.

As stated before, Germany will not pay any compensation to these guys. First, apart from some other country's popular sentiment, there is no legal, moral or whatever reason to do so. Second these guys don't want compensation, they want that land. Third there is no guarantee they don't file lawsuits no matter how much money they get. Fourth there is no guarantee Poland won't get angry over any given other issue (like stupid satires).

I have to wonder, though, if that compensations for lands in Ukraine won't backfire. If Poland thinks it has to compensate people for land taken away by another government, why do they think they don't need to compensate people whose land Poland herself took away? Anyway, I'd still like to know when that Polish compensation regulations were put into effect, i.e. before or after the Prussian Treuhand appeared on the radar?

Also as stated before, there is no legal basis to seek compensations for acts of war. If your house gets blown up by the military because they want to build a road/they need a free line of sight/they think you were hiding weapons/they were to drunk to notice someone actually owned that house/whatever in a war, you are basically f**ked. This is international practice and no one, not even Poland, is going to change it. As far as I know, the only legally binding way to get compensation for war damages is to make a country sign a treaty which explicitly states that reparations will be payed. Usually, such treaties are only signed when said country is losing a war and under the threat of continued hostilities. Seriously, unless Poland is going to declare war on Germany (and win), I don't see any way that they'd receive any reparations for whatever.

That Lech Kaczinsky wouldn't know that is a bit of a surprise. But then, what can you expect from a government that even seems to think it can seek the extradition of German satirists from Germany (something not even all those Anti-Danish mullahs ever came up with)?

Erika Steinbach is in the CDU, not the CSU, btw. And she is not involved with the Prussian Treuhand, just to make that clear.

Edited by yan. - 03-Aug-2006 at 07:40
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 15:48

Erika Steinbach is in the CDU, not the CSU, btw.

is there actually a difference? Wink
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 16:31

I don't think you really understand the situation either. Or you just have problems making yourself clear.

The idea of the Prussian Treuhand is to get that real estate back via the EU court of Justice. Naturally, they don't expect Polish, Czech, Slovak or whatever national courts to hand over that real estate, or to even accept their lawsuits. That's where the ECJ as superior instance comes into play. Obviously trying to get the ECJ to deal with real estate in the Kaliningrad oblast is rather futile, since Russia is no EU member yet (please correct me if I am wrong) and therefore the ECJ doesn't have any jurisdiction over it.

As stated before, Germany will not pay any compensation to these guys. First, apart from some other country's popular sentiment, there is no legal, moral or whatever reason to do so. Second these guys don't want compensation, they want that land. Third there is no guarantee they don't file lawsuits no matter how much money they get. Fourth there is no guarantee Poland won't get angry over any given other issue (like stupid satires).

I have to wonder, though, if that compensations for lands in Ukraine won't backfire. If Poland thinks it has to compensate people for land taken away by another government, why do they think they don't need to compensate people whose land Poland herself took away? Anyway, I'd still like to know when that Polish compensation regulations were put into effect, i.e. before or after the Prussian Treuhand appeared on the radar?

Also as stated before, there is no legal basis to seek compensations for acts of war. If your house gets blown up by the military because they want to build a road/they need a free line of sight/they think you were hiding weapons/they were to drunk to notice someone actually owned that house/whatever in a war, you are basically f**ked. This is international practice and no one, not even Poland, is going to change it. As far as I know, the only legally binding way to get compensation for war damages is to make a country sign a treaty which explicitly states that reparations will be payed. Usually, such treaties are only signed when said country is losing a war and under the threat of continued hostilities. Seriously, unless Poland is going to declare war on Germany (and win), I don't see any way that they'd receive any reparations for whatever.

That Lech Kaczinsky wouldn't know that is a bit of a surprise. But then, what can you expect from a government that even seems to think it can seek the extradition of German satirists from Germany (something not even all those Anti-Danish mullahs ever came up with)?

Erika Steinbach is in the CDU, not the CSU, btw. And she is not involved with the Prussian Treuhand, just to make that clear.

No I think I'm quite clear. It's You who completely don't understand international law what is most important here. I'm not saying only about neo nazist like Prussian Treuhand but about Ericha Steinbach and her Union of Expelled. I know they want to get back their estates by European Court. If You don't understand that is not good for polish-german relationships it would mean that it is hard for You to understand anything. I also never said anything about Prussian Treuhand demanding money from Russia. I'm saying that Mr. Stoiber e.g. never said anything likre Russia have to pay for the expelled. The same Union of Expelled never said Russians should return our lands. They only are saying about smaller countries especially Czech Republic which they feel the weakest.
There is no legal reason but there are moral and political reasons e.g. people lost their properties because of their goverment actions and other who had a luck to live more on the west didn't. Second - good relations with neighbours who will get mad if they would have to pay a cent to the Germans. They will never get their land as Poland get their land because  Poland get their land on the base of decision of the Allies in Jalta and Teheran and if Germans want to sue anyone they should sue USA, Russia and GB first and demand of changing after War World II World Order. There is no guarante they not send lawsuits but they will be dismissed because they should have sued Germany if Germany would accept their claims. The same like Polish citizens make claims before EU Court but not against Ukraine but against Poland. So, please stop posting that Germany can't do it, that it is not possible and crap like that. This is nothing strange and Germany should be responsible for losses caused to their citizens by its goverment. And this is not getting ungry this is simple unjustice if Poland would have to pay to Germans for WWII. It's something else than satirist. I must admit by the way that Germans media are doing very bad job in polish germans relations. Before the World Cup they were screaming about mnad Polish fans who prepare to the invasion. During World Cup german tv e.g. were calling polish thieves and there was even program on tv filled with poor anti polish jokes. Articles like that Podolski and Klose are Polish repayment for stolen cars and crap like that also don't help. Somehow we didn't feel that during the World Cup we are with friends like World Cup slogan was saying. About the satire I don't give a f**k if they joke from a Duck. Personally I would have expelled him from Poland.  
Law act about Poland being responsible for their citizens lost land doesn't say anything about Germans. It is only a gesture of good will towards Ukraine and other Eastern Countries and towards its own citizens. we just have accepted those claims and said we are responsible for that. German goverment can simply do the same, to issue a law act which will say e.g. that Germans expelled from Poland will get money from German goverment and please spare me fairytales they don't want money but to get back their land. They would accept money without winking the same like Polish. Also this Polish law act doesn't have anything to do with Prussian Treuhand.
And You again are not right that You can't seek compensations for acts of war. Burning civilians houses and killing innocent civilians is a war crime and in civilized countries ( maybe in Germany not? I don't know ) it is punished. Your pseudo law lecture is quite funny thoughLOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>