Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uzbekistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maciek View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maciek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uzbekistan
    Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 14:53
Hello!

I just came back from Uzbekistan. Of course it was no touristic trip but profess. Still I had great hope to see Samarkand, river Syr-Daria (battle of Alexander with Scythians) Amu Daria, maybe some signs of Alexandria Escharte... but those people are still in times of CCCP (USSR) and every our move was under their control. We couldn't see even the old city in Tashkient where we spend all our time in there. All they wanted to show us are museum of Amur Timur and monuments of IIWW... Well I'm very much dissapointed with this visit.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 19:31

My first year of college I was in a class with a Karalkalpak girl from Nukus. She showed us some Uzbek money one day, man I find paper money outside the US so strange, it all just looks so fake.

It sucks that you didn't get to see the cool stuff, lousy authoritarian regimes.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 05:15
The Uzbeks have a strange and unnatural obsession with Timur. I wonder why they don't remember how the Uzbeks destroyed the Transoxianian Timurids
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 16:43
yeah that is kind of ironic, you would think htey would feel more of a kinship with Shaybani Khan or something.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 07:21
Insulting Timur in Uzbekistan is equal to insulting Atatrk in Turkey
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
perdon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote perdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 00:58
Well said !!!!!!!!!!
perdon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote perdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 01:06

enough for politics of Uzbekistan ! remember ?we just got independence from Russian in 1991! WE are supposed to talk about history in this page not about politics!

I am sorry that you didn't get chance to see Smarhand !

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 19:07
I'm planning on going away for a month visiting Ozbekistan along with the rest of the Central Asian Turkish countries by summer of 2006.  But I don't see why the Ozbeks shouldn't love Timur.  The man is one of the greatest leaders we've seen so far.
perdon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote perdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 01:28

Originally posted by Ender

I'm planning on going away for a month visiting Ozbekistan along with the rest of the Central Asian Turkish countries by summer of 2006.  But I don't see why the Ozbeks shouldn't love Timur.  The man is one of the greatest leaders we've seen so far.

Who said  Uzbek  didn't like Amir Tumur ! Please ! Turkic not turkish countries !

Welcome to Uzbekistan!

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 05:29
I heard the formerly iranian speaking population in Uzbekistan is like dominant and things associated with mongols or Chinggis Khaan are not in favor there. So they try to stick to Timur rather than Sheibani khan or Uzbek khan.
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 12:46
Perdon, just because we discuss your country and your culture does not mean we are professing either hatred or ridicule on you, your nation, or your culture.  As a matter of fact, most of us are very must interested in you and your countrymen teaching us more.  Politics of the modern age have to be taken into account when one visits another country.  Americans and Russians I think have a more established consular relationship with the Uzbek government.  I fully recognise that Uzbekistan is still a fledgeling nation (not culture, mind you) and therefore will need more time to work out it's independent and pivitol role in the international community.  As an archaeologist, I would love to visit your country and have someone guide me to each of the amazing cultural sites.  I at one point planned a trip with two of my anthropologist friends to follow the route of the Silk Road--Uzbekistan is at the heart of the Silk Road, along with Tajikistan, Kazikistan, Turkostan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, Turkey, Lebanon, and so on.  As can be seen in looking at the past, Uzbekistan is part of a greater community of cultures and civilizations and share their history with many, many people.  Perdon, I wish you and your countrymen all the luck in shaping an atmophere that will benefit scientific knowledge, and your local economy (from tourism and so on).
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 14:57

Originally posted by Chono

I heard the formerly iranian speaking population in Uzbekistan is like dominant and things associated with mongols or Chinggis Khaan are not in favor there. So they try to stick to Timur rather than Sheibani khan or Uzbek khan.

Timur was a Turkish speaker and had nothing to do with iranians...

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 07:09
That's one of the reasons why it's weird.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 05:37

"Timur was a Turkish speaker and had nothing to do with iranians..."

They why did he have a Persian name?

Seriously, Mr."Turk", you must come to terms with at least some of the ethnographic realities of what is Central Asia.

Case in point:

http://www.silk-road.com/artl/timur.shtml

"Different sources indicate that Timur is a man with extraordinary intelligence - not only intuitive, but intellectual. Even though he did not know how to read or write, he spoke two or three languages including Persian and Turkic and liked to be read history at mealtimes. "

Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 12:58
Originally posted by Padishah

Seriously, Mr."Turk", you must come to terms with at least some of the ethnographic realities of what is Central Asia.

Case in point:

"Different sources indicate that Timur is a man with extraordinary intelligence - not only intuitive, but intellectual. Even though he did not know how to read or write, he spoke two or three languages including Persian and Turkic and liked to be read history at mealtimes. "

You're a moron if you think Timur is Irani because of his name. Plenty of Turks have Arabic names, many of whome have never even met an Arab in their life, does that make them Arab?

Central Asia was, is, and will be shaped by Turkic people, so don't try to affiliate iranis with cultures and people they have relatively little to do with.

Edited by Turk
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 02:31
Originally posted by Maciek

Hello!

I just came back from Uzbekistan. Of course it was no touristic trip but profess. Still I had great hope to see Samarkand, river Syr-Daria (battle of Alexander with Scythians) Amu Daria, maybe some signs of Alexandria Escharte... but those people are still in times of CCCP (USSR) and every our move was under their control. We couldn't see even the old city in Tashkient where we spend all our time in there. All they wanted to show us are museum of Amur Timur and monuments of IIWW... Well I'm very much dissapointed with this visit.

so how was the people there? were they freindly or not?

and how was the food and the weather?

and what did you like the most?

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 03:01
Originally posted by Padishah

Where did you get this crap info? Timur is a Turkish word not Persian......... Now we are using it as demir in Anatolian Turkish.

Temur, timur, demir (Turkish) means iron, tabira means ironworker in Sumerian.  

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 03:36
Timur is a very common altaic name, my uncle is called Timur, for god's sake.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 04:56

i think it more spread

the Grandfather of the Sultan of Oman Qaboose is Timur

also the name Turkey is a common saudi name.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 11:35
Originally posted by Alparslan

[QUOTE=Padishah]

Where did you get this crap info? Timur is a Turkish word not Persian......... Now we are using it as demir in Anatolian Turkish.

Temur, timur, demir (Turkish) means iron, tabira means ironworker in Sumerian.  

Using the term "Crap" leads me to believe you to be very young and uneducated...

Tamerlane is a combination of both a Turkic noun(Tamer) and a Persian descriptive adjective.

Here is a defintion of Tamerlane's name:

"Tamerlane, the name was derived from the Persian Timur-i lang, "Temur the Lame" by Europeans during the 16th century. His Turkic name is Timur, which means 'iron'. In his life time, he has conquered more than anyone else except for Alexander. His armies crossed Eurasia from Delhi to Moscow, from the Tien Shan Mountains of Central Asia to the Taurus Mountains in Anatolia. From 1370 till his death 1405, Temur built a powerful empire and became the last of great nomadic leaders. "

As a result, the name Temur, has the same root as Temujin, made famous by non-other than Genghis Khan, both meaning "Iron".

As far as the connection to "Sumaria", there is not a shred of historical factualization to it. One might only hear of such a "theory" in a classroom in Turkey, and nowhere else...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>