Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Western museums- should antiquites be returned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Western museums- should antiquites be returned?
    Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 07:56
Hi
I was just thinking what do you all feel about the Museums in the west that have so many artifacts from the ancient world.
Their arguement is that they will take better care then the other "developing" countries, and that history belongs to everyone.
I have been to the "British Museum" many times, and there is hardly anything British in it.
What do you all think.  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 08:26
Spoils of war buddy, ours now.
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 01:15
I agree that the priceless relics are much safer inside the museums that they are currantly in.  As a proud iranian though i do know where your coming from.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 07:21
This is certainly true for some countries, but I doubt if by now, the Greeks have not proven they can actually take care of their own artefacts, or the Egyptians... I dont believe everything should be shipped back at once, but some debate and cooperation between countries and museums on this point is a necessety.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 08:10
No way should they be shipped back, in the Brittish musuem their kept totally safe and free to the public, their really in the best hands.

If they were shipped back how do we know their gonna stay in good condition and safe, its just far to risky.

In addition, alot of the artifacts were sold to the musuems. Also they are mainly from ancient civillisations, nobody can claim direct descendancy and therefore rights over these treasures Wink 

There are Egyption Needles in so many countries, these were given as gifts and seen as though there are no ancient Egyptions today nobody has a claim over the them, same with ancient near-east and mediterranean, finders keepers Big smile
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 08:53
actually, most obelisks where stolen by invaders, like the Romans and Napoleon. Nobody cared to ask. And goods that were bought from graverobbers and such are not legitmately owned. Nor are works of art which were carted out by foreign opressors. The Germans had to give it all back after the war, why shouldnt the British give back what they stole as foreign opressors? At least think about it. Its also a bit arrogant to think the British are the only ones who can take care of them.
Besides, not all is on display, there is a massive amount stored in depots. They might as well give that back, as they are not using it anyway...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 01-Jul-2006 at 08:54

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 09:42

I agree that the one's were not using should be given back to where they were found but alot of the treasures would have simply been looted, destroyed, melted down or used as stones in the village house if they were simply left.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 10:27
Maybe they would, maybe not. Its not really an excuse is it. We're talking about now.

Greek Tragedy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Greek Tragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 10:38
i think they should stay in the museums, it helps these cultures stay popular in the first place when others want their stuff. and in other countries other people can explore them and learn if they cant travel to Hellas or Egypt and so on

but i agree if there is alot not being used or going to be used they should give those back, its not like storing junk in a garage, these are priceless objects

Edited by Greek Tragedy - 01-Jul-2006 at 10:41
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 10:48

I think everything should stay where it is now. Most of the countries where these artefacts would go to if they were returned are simply to volatile and unpredictable. And I really don't like how some Museums have some of their best Treasures in storage, everything in my opinion should be on display!

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 11:12
Of course I'm not suggesting shipping ancient artefacts to Irak or something, but countries like Greece, Egypt and Turkey are hardly "volatile and unpredictable".

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 18:53
It's better to keep them all in a few places, like the British Museum and the Louvre, rather than have them spread all over the world. The way it is now we can go to those aforementioned museums as well as others and see collections from all over the world, instead of spending a fortune on travelling around to different places just to see isolated parts of it. I also doubt how many countries can compete with England and France when it comes to historical preservation, I feel some of these countries that demand "their" artefacts back have little understanding of the value of history and do so mostly out of national pride.

More importantly, the British Museum and the Louvre are within a reasonable distance from where I'm sitting. Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 00:08
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

actually, most obelisks where stolen by invaders, like the Romans and Napoleon. Nobody cared to ask. And goods that were bought from graverobbers and such are not legitmately owned. Nor are works of art which were carted out by foreign opressors. The Germans had to give it all back after the war, why shouldnt the British give back what they stole as foreign opressors? At least think about it. Its also a bit arrogant to think the British are the only ones who can take care of them.
Besides, not all is on display, there is a massive amount stored in depots. They might as well give that back, as they are not using it anyway...

I already said SPOILS OF WAR. You cant expect the English give it all backConfused Why should they??? They shouldnt.
Gloval View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gloval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 01:01
Well if european cultures were looted by an invader from half way around the world (for sake of argument let's say china}, wouldn't europeans want their cultural artifacts back? The chinese had no influence culturally on the pieces they took, they just like them and their value. Don't you think that china should give back these relics simply because it's someone else's heritage even if they did take it as loot?
You don't spread democracy through the barrel of a gun.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 02:33

They might give some back, but they would want to keep some.

Im sure if there was a museum in Beijing full of European relics, we wouldnt see much of it come back.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 13:31

When it comes to Hellas,and Ancient Hellenic relics,things are rather complicated.You see ,every part of an Ancient Hellenic temple ,which ,for example, is  in some foreign museum,was designed and built by the Ancients specifically in accordance with the surrounding environment of it's location.For example Parthenon,Oracle of Delhoi and hundrends of others.If you put them in another location or,even worse,inside another building then they loose their real ethical and esthetic value,they become toys of commercialized tourism.Of course a foreigner cannot easily understand that. They should definently return to the location they were designed to exist.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Ave1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 13:34
Although relics are of vital importance to the country where the relics initially located, relics relocated in western museums can further promote and educate individuals residing in those nations of the rich cultures.  
"Not one American Christian in a hundred realizes that if he lived in Israel, he would be the victim of official discrimination forced...to carry an identification card" - Joseph Sobran
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 13:42
Promote education to Western individuals,while depriving it from the original nation.Why should i go to the UK to see the marbles of Parthenon,the relics of my country and civilization and not the other way around?Why shouldn't the British and Western Europeans come to Hellas to see it?What,they are better than i am?Bollocks!

Edited by Spartakus - 02-Jul-2006 at 13:44
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 13:53
Yes Spartakus, i definitely know where your coming from.  
And the context in which these artifacts in the ancient world were taken, there certainly was a period of free for all looting, it seems, when people did this "tour of europe". 
Vedam
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 14:04
Yeah,who forgets the "philantropy" of Lord Elgin?Not to mention what happened in Egypt.How many ancient tombs were desecreted because some believed that they would find some kind of gold.Even the Pyramids of Giza.And on and on.The bad thing is ,that even today there are many  "elgins"  who steal ancient relics from various cultures in order to "flourish" private collections of rich people,or the collections of Western Museums and Galleris.

Edited by Spartakus - 02-Jul-2006 at 14:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>