Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Western museums- should antiquites be returned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vedam View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vedam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Western museums- should antiquites be returned?
    Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 14:19
Also the irony is with the Parthenon panel, they were actually scrubbed down  to clean them up, i'm talking wire wool type. So much for taking better careSmile
With regards to flourish private collections, in placed like India and Egypt, the ones who loot, make a fraction, and its often out of real economic neccesity, its the middle men who make a killing.
Vedam
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:32
Well to tell you guys the truth.  The reason why the Europeans havent returned the items is because they are on top.  Honestly they control most of the worlds valuables ex gold, diamonds and artifacts as well.  I guess the only way these things would be returned to thier rightful countries is if Europe was conqured by another country and was forced to give the stuff back, like the Germans had too.  Altough if they were conqured the conqurer might do the same as them and keep the stuff for themselves lolClap
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 15:39
Europe is a region, not a country, and Greece is part of it...
What do you mean conquer it?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 10:29

I agree with you a little, King of Mazderan, but one of the reasons why the Europeans got the artifacts in the first case is because when these countries had them, they did not truthfully care that much- they were either conquered by other nations who were misusing them (Like what the Ottomans did to the Parthenon). These treasures were not pulled from the arms of people who wanted them- the countries from which they were taken either were not interested or could not keep them in good condition. I'm not attempting to justify what the Western europeans have done, but there's a little more justification for it that everyone seems to think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12