Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Greatest Eastern Roman Basileus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who was by your account the greatest of Roman Basileus?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [21.43%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [64.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greatest Eastern Roman Basileus
    Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:21
Here am I asking, that by your definition of greatness, please tell me whom of these was the Greatest of the Basileus Basileon Basileuon Basileunton... (aarghhh. that took me five times of spelling it right..... try sounding it...lolTongue)
And my first Basileus (actually Augustus, as Basileus was he from the time of Heraklius)  of Eastern Rome is Arkadios. And please, tell us why...

Now: when I have chosen my practicians I will let you get your poll:

My definition of greatness: to be honest and brave, courageous and clever, to be loved by people and hated by officials Tongue... 

NB! For the title: I recently have started to use Eastern Rome or Eastern Empire instead of Byzance and therefore the title may be mistaking.

Thanks,
Rider

I, myself, think of three equals: Iustinianus I the Great, Herakleios I and Leon V who all were great men and even greater Basileus. I am a great admirer of architectural achievments and so those three have done something. Also the Thema system was a great accomplishment, and Leon V... well, wait for the magazine...

Ofcourse I honour Konstantinos XI Palaiologos for his sacrifice...

Thanks,
Rider

Edited by rider - 28-Jun-2006 at 12:30
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:46
    What is that Herakleios and Leon V have done for art and architecture?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 12:27
I said I like Herakleios' thematic system.. that is art.. and a great piece of military art.
Leon V was just a clever person... you still can see that I chose Theophilos... and it seems I was wrong: I intended Leon VI...
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:21
Justinian I, definitely! During his rule The Eastern Roman Empire became just: "The Roman Empire": he almost succeded reuniting the whole territory of the Roman world, reconquered the city of Rome itself, and held all of the significant provinces(except Gaul). His rule can be defined as "a Renaissance" of Roman culture, military might and economy.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:59
But also he used most of the empire's finances to the west and that was useless in the end and it became their doom. Without conquering Western territories, the Byzantines could have concentrated to East and maybe defeated Persians and Arabs... but that was their beginning and undoing... West...
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:27
As far as total "good" done for Byzantium, I would say Justinian I is probably the best choice.  However, what he thought was beneficial to the empire also caused a good deal of problems. 

Justinian's expansionist policies (or re-conquest policies) brought a gargantuan amount of territory back into the Roman Empire.  So he was being a good emperor and working towards the grand idea of oikoumene.  But the question is, were the Byzantines really able to hold this territory militarily like their ancient Roman ancestors were?  History shows us that their position became quite tenuous after the re-conquests. 

Yes, Justinian had able generals such as Belisarios and Narses, but the soldiers these generals commanded were not on par with the disciplined Roman legions of old.  The steady influx of barbarian foederati into the army made it very unstable in terms of discipline and loyalty.  Belisarios in particular had bad experiences with deserters and treachery from the barbarian elements in the Italian and Persian wars.

Also, Justinian instituted his wondrous building program, which gave us the Hagia Sophia among other works.  However, his program was costly and depleted the treasury at a time when resources were needed for the military budget.  Although he could not have seen it coming, Justinian I could have been more conservative financially and it would have helped his successors, who would face the Muslim invasions.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 15:22
Yes and his successors often gathered large amounts of money that their sons or grandsons would just distribute freely or waste on parties when the country is in trouble: I hate such idiocy.

Ofcourse, the Church of Sophia was the ultimate element of Constantinople and served it well on many occasions. Without it the city wouldn't be it.

At 900 already the Byzantines held only a small area of Sicily they called Italy... hmmh. soon disposed of that too, weren't they.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 15:56
My vote to the two who more than anybody else embody the stubborn survival instinct of the Empire and the unwillingness to fade away, the great Herakleios and Alexios Komnenos, who both brought it back from the brink of extinction.

Edited by Komnenos - 28-Jun-2006 at 15:56
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:03
My vote may be controversial, but I vote for Basil II Bulgaroctonus. He defeated the empire's most dangerous enemies, he strenghtened the empire in every way, and he left his successors both a strong empire and a full treasury (something that few other rulers in history can boast). True, he may have been somewhat uneducated and crude, and he may be hated by certain people, but strictly for Byzantium he accomplished a lot.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 22:25
I have to say I have a real admiration for Constantine V, not that well known but the man truly performed brilliantly in the midst of a crisis point in Byzantine history. Our poor or negative understanding of the man is just a result of him backing the iconoclasts, and the iconodules emerging to write his history in as negative light as they could. Just thought this man deserves a very honorable mention.

But I am going with Basil II, he was simply the ultimate figure a medieval state could ask for in leadership, nothing less. Aside from one defeat very early in his reign, he unfalteringly led his state for over half a century and you really couldn't ask much more of him.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 03:14
Yes, I have heard sometimes that Empire's enemies didn't dare to attack it when Bulgaroktonos or Isaak I were reigning and it was because of their military careers. Is it true? I believe that I included it in Isaak I, not sure.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by Decebal

My vote may be controversial, but I vote for Basil II Bulgaroctonus. He defeated the empire's most dangerous enemies, he strenghtened the empire in every way, and he left his successors both a strong empire and a full treasury (something that few other rulers in history can boast). True, he may have been somewhat uneducated and crude, and he may be hated by certain people, but strictly for Byzantium he accomplished a lot.

My argument with Basil has always been he did everything you could ask of an Emperor, left the empire stronger than he found it, kept potential rivals in line, wealthier and more dominant over its immediate rivals than it had possibly been in some centuries.

His only failing was the succession, but i'm not going to blame him for the incompetance of his successors, they had an empire at the peak of its powers and squandered it. Basil could have no influence over this, even if he had a son, theres no way to be sure he'd be like his father. Sons tend to be forever in the shadow of their great fathers and rarely surpass them.

Its extremely difficult to follow in the footsteps of a great man, the best example of sons building and expanding on their fathers work is the Comneni.

As to who is the greatest, I think it could be anyone between Justinian the great, Heraclius, Basil II and Alexius I and Manuel II or even possibly John II.

I'm rubbish at this kind of thing as my opinion changes every poll that is done.

I'm going to see the arguments of a few more people before making up my mind AGAIN!

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 07:43
Heralius, I would be twenty times grateful to you if you would use NOT the English form of Johannes or whatever the true Greek form is... John is just so.... wierd... John's can rule England but not Rome....
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 08:03
Originally posted by rider

Heralius, I would be twenty times grateful to you if you would use NOT the English form of Johannes or whatever the true Greek form is... John is just so.... wierd... John's can rule England but not Rome....

It may sound a bit cooler and stuff, but I don't use Grek names for places and people whens theres a perfectly familiar alternative, e.g Hercules is the latin version of the Greek word for the god Herakles, does it really matter if I use the latin version instead of the original in that case?

English is heavily influenced by latin, I don't see any reason why I should have to type in another language, it'll just end up confusing me.

I don't mean to be a pain, but does it really matter what version of the name I use? I am English speaking afterall, not Greek.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 08:13
Originally posted by Heraclius

Originally posted by rider

It may sound a bit cooler and stuff, but I don't use Grek names for places and people whens theres a perfectly familiar alternative, e.g Hercules is the latin version of the Greek word for the god Herakles, does it really matter if I use the latin version instead of the original in that case?

English is heavily influenced by latin, I don't see any reason why I should have to type in another language, it'll just end up confusing me.

I don't mean to be a pain, but does it really matter what version of the name I use? I am English speaking afterall, not Greek.

But you don't reffer to Ivan the Terrible, as John the Terrible or to Francois Mitteran as Frank Mitteran, it's a little weird.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:14
Yes, especially as Latin is not Greek and english is not heavily influenced by Greek.

And John is completly terrible name for a Greek person....
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:18
I voted for Basil II a near perfect statesman who brought the empire to its true if not territorial height (Justinians empire was larger but poorer, oversteched and in general not very stable). bringing it to its greatest territorial extent since the ummayad caliphate and doing so without the assistence of generals of the genius of Narses or Belisarius (indeed he had to quash a rebbellion led by two of the empires best generals) and lets not forget the full treasury among other accomplishments.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 13:57
 I'm sorry, but this is just utter nonsense, I refuse to use Greek when its so completely unnecessary and I won't be told by anybody to do otherwise.

It's an English speaking forum, not a Greek one, I honestly don't care what the Greek version of the names are.

Its a petty issue that has nothing to do with the ongoing discussion, it is infact detracting from it. Your both just going to have to find the strength to live with it.

Now assuming I have made myself clear, the discussion can surely continue.  

Edited by Heraclius - 29-Jun-2006 at 14:07
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 14:47
Then this discussion is over about the names!
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 19:27
The present concensus among Byzantinists, as I understand it, is to use the transliterated Greek version of names in preference to the Latin forms.  However, there are some exceptions, of which John and Constantine are examples.  Thus:

John not Iohannes

Constantine not Konstantinos

Andronikos not Andronicus

Nikephoros not Nicephorus

Palaiologos not Palaeologus

Komnenos not Comnenus

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 29-Jun-2006 at 19:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>