Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Word "Aryan" is priced becoz of its Indic(Hindu)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Word "Aryan" is priced becoz of its Indic(Hindu)
    Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 19:53
I think part of the point is that the Hittite and Tocharian languages are, so, dead, that no individual could honestly claim that the core of the language that they speak is, even, a related.  That the Gathas are literature, and that the Iranian speakers were aware of the monetary value of a word are factors, too.   By the time the Gathas were recorded, its author had, already, looked back to a long history.   I recall something about the story of Jamshid and how it goes into the details of how Jamshid became the psychopomp of the departed, whereas the story of Jam's Sanskrit counterpart, Yama, the first man to die, doesn't go into the details and is basically, already, the psychopomp.   Does anybody know of any examples of these parallels?

Edited by mojobadshah - 25-Apr-2007 at 19:57
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 23:00
I think part of the point is that the Hittite and Tocharian languages are, so, dead, that no individual could honestly claim that the core of the language that they speak is, even, a related.  That the Gathas are literature, and that the Iranian speakers were aware of the monetary value of a word are factors, too.   By the time the Gathas were recorded, its author had, already, looked back to a long history. 

Again, there is no verifiable date for the floruit of Zarathustra, and hence no verifiable date for the Avesta.  All that can be said is that he was probably pre-600 BC (reference to Ahura Mazda in the inscription of Ariyaramna, king of Parsa).  On the other hand we not only have Greek in written form from the 2nd millennium BC, but "literature" from the 8th century BC (i.e. Illiad, Odyssey, Works and Days, etc.)
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 03:34
Sharrukin, I appreciate you're feedback.  I know you're trying to keep it real.   There is Homeric literature.   Even, Young or Zend Avestan is estimated to be hundreds of years older, than the Old Persian Acheamenid inscriptions that are placed around 600 B.C.  And then there's Old or Gathic Avestan which is hundreds of years older than Young Avestan.  A few hundred years older than 600 B.C. would place the Gathas before the Illiad. 

Maybe you can help me understand the following evidence: according to the late, Joseph T. Shipley's, The Origins of English Words, the designation Persia is a triune of the words Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster, and Yasna.  The designations Persia, Parthia, Pashto, Pathan, and Parsi are rooted in *Parsu.  Apparently, there is evidence that the Pashtun tribe was mentioned in the Vedas.  Wouldn't that mean that the anomalies, Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster, and Yasna predated the anomally Parsu (older form of Pashtu) which was attested in the Vedas, and that Zarathustra lived before the attestation of the Parsu in the Vedas?
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 04:06
Sharrukin, I appreciate you're feedback.  I know you're trying to keep it real.   There is Homeric literature.   Even, Young or Zend Avestan is estimated to be hundreds of years older, than the Old Persian Acheamenid inscriptions that are placed around 600 B.C.  And then there's Old or Gathic Avestan which is hundreds of years older than Young Avestan.  A few hundred years older than 600 B.C. would place the Gathas before the Illiad. 

Granted that the Gathas may be older than the Homerc literature, we are still left with when did the Gathas become literature?  There is no evidence that at the time of their earliest composition, they were written down.  What we have are texts written down in an adaptation of Pahlavi script made specifically to convey the Avestan sound-system.  On the other hand, the Greeks already had alphabetic script, before the Homeric literature.  

Maybe you can help me understand the following evidence: according to the late, Joseph T. Shipley's, The Origins of English Words, the designation Persia is a triune of the words Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster, and Yasna.  The designations Persia, Parthia, Pashto, Pathan, and Parsi are rooted in *Parsu.  Apparently, there is evidence that the Pashtun tribe was mentioned in the Vedas.  Wouldn't that mean that the anomalies, Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster, and Yasna predated the anomally Parsu (older form of Pashtu) which was attested in the Vedas, and that Zarathustra lived before the attestation of the Parsu in the Vedas?

This touches upon a discussion I'm currently having with another forumer in another thread in this subforum.  According to the linguist I.M. Diakonoff, the original would be parsava, meaning "borderland".  It was originally used to designate frontier districts by the Iranians.  Hence, we know of several lands with this designation, including a Parsuash between Assyria and Media; Parsa, bordering Elam (the modern Fars); and Parthia (Old Persian, Parthava), the eastern "border-country" of the Medes.  It was thus, a land designation, not a tribal one, at first.  The Persians gained their name from occupying one of these districts, and we have historical documentation of other tribal peoples gaining this designation, such as Pashto (from parsava), and Pashtun (from parsavan.)  It is worth mentioning that Herodotus was told that the original name of the Persians was Artaei.   The terms then, listed, can represent peoples of various origins.  The Vedic Parsu does not necessarily have anything to do with Persians, merely just another "border-people".  As for the Avesta, the only reference I have is to "Pouruta" (perhaps the Paroutai of Ptolemy, located in Areia near the Hindu Kush).  Nothing, as far as I'm concerned indicates any priority between Avesta and Rg Veda.

Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 17:37
Are you saying that the Avesta wasn't literature, while it was an unrecorded text being orally transmitted, and that it did become literature when it was inscripted in Phalavi?

The idea that parsava means border reiminds me of something from the OED Online about how, Parthian Shot, changed to Parting Shot, and might be related to words like, partition, and party.  Is that what it meant?  What I don't understand is how the roots ane, ger IV, and iag I or Ahura, Zoroaster, and Yasna became *Parsa or *Parsu, and whether it was a conscious fusion.  I am full of questions.  Does the word jirga have any Avestan relatives?  Were the Acheamenids monotheists or not?  Were there, really, libraries that were destroyed by Alexander, and if so, is there any telling what the nature of the content was? What is the underlying truth behind the Greeks and Roman's placing Zoroaster as early as they did? 

And what do you make of the following?

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/pdfs/traces_of_aryan.pdf 

Edited by mojobadshah - 27-Apr-2007 at 19:08
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 03:37
Are you saying that the Avesta wasn't literature, while it was an unrecorded text being orally transmitted,.....

but of course!!!  This is purely logical.  If it is "unrecorded" it cannot be literature.

.....and that it did become literature when it was inscripted in Phalavi?

We don't have any physical evidence of it in literal form until it was recorded in Pallavi.  No cuneiform texts, no nothing!!!  This poses the justifiable question as to when it actually became literature.

The idea that parsava means border reiminds me of something from the OED Online about how, Parthian Shot, changed to Parting Shot, and might be related to words like, partition, and party.  Is that what it meant?

According to the noted linguist I've named, yes. 

What I don't understand is how the roots ane, ger IV, and iag I or Ahura, Zoroaster, and Yasna became *Parsa or *Parsu, and whether it was a conscious fusion.

Where are you getting this from?  This sounds like voodoo-type linguistics to me.  I don't understand how you relate the four terms.  Iranic Ahura and Indic asura are obviously related.  Why relate them to Vedic Parsu?  This doesn't make sense. 

I am full of questions.  Does the word jirga have any Avestan relatives?

Don't know enough about Avestan words to come to any conclusions.  Perhaps an Avestan concordance may help. 

Were the Acheamenids monotheists or not?

Probably not.  Although the official inscriptions only mention Ahura Mazda, the Avesta mentions other deities such as Mithra (and we have the names of Persians such as Mithridates), Atar, and Anahita, as worthy of worship.

Were there, really, libraries that were destroyed by Alexander, and if so, is there any telling what the nature of the content was?

The Greek sources only mention the sack and burning of the city.  Nothing specifically is mentioned about any 'library'.  Later Iranian tradition speaks of the burning of the "library". 

What is the underlying truth behind the Greeks and Roman's placing Zoroaster as early as they did? 

Some of the later Iranian literature mention very large reigns of the early Iranian kings.  The Avesta itself mentions that Yima Khshaeta reigned for 1200 years.  The Greeks obviously did not have any trouble attributing long reigns to human (and semi-divine and divine) rulers.  They did so with the Babylonians as well as the Egyptians. 

And what do you make of the following?

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/articles/pdfs/traces_of_aryan.pdf 

I think that this author went far too to much to the deep end to be taken seriously.  His use of linguistic analysis is not conventional, and most of his etymologies have better solutions.  Some of it is obviously dead wrong, such as his etymology for Amurru which were obviously Semitic.  I do not recommend him as a reliable source. 
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 16:48

There is all these evidence of attested literary works that we have, today.  Avestan, Sanskrit, Homeric Greek, Celtic, Latin.  Do we know about the time of their attestation because of comparative-linguistics, calendrical correlations, and radio carbon dating the texts?

Secondly, there is evidence that the Greeks, and Romans were aware of Zoroaster.  Apparently, they place him long before, even, the Trojan wars, and, therefore, Homer.  Is there any evidence of Iranians placing Greeks and Romans 6000 B.C. before the author of the Gathas? 

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 04:01

There is all these evidence of attested literary works that we have, today.  Avestan, Sanskrit, Homeric Greek, Celtic, Latin.  Do we know about the time of their attestation because of comparative-linguistics, calendrical correlations, and radio carbon dating the texts?

Yes, through both comparative linguistics, and at times with historical correlations.  With the first, we can see the development of Greek from Homeric times to classical.  These just don't belong in a vaccuum, but we have a corpus of literature, including hymns and poetry from Homeric times into Classical times where we can document the changes and developments within the Greek language.  As for the earliest poets such as Homer and Hesiod, we can date them based upon the above to the 8th century BC.  For Hesiod, specifically, a hint for his date is a reference to the funeral games of a certain Amphidamas, where he was present.  We know from other sources of an Amphidamas who was a hero in the Lelantine War and who died about 705 BC.  Hesiod is thus usually dated to the late 8th and early 7th centuries BC.  The language of Homer is noticeably more archaic and thus we date him to the mid-8th century BC.

Secondly, there is evidence that the Greeks, and Romans were aware of Zoroaster.

That does not mean much.  The earliest known of these was Xanthus (5th century BC)

Apparently, they place him long before, even, the Trojan wars, and, therefore, Homer.  Is there any evidence of Iranians placing Greeks and Romans 6000 B.C. before the author of the Gathas? 

The question itself is non-sensical.  The remote dates of Zoroaster were based upon purely mythological foundations, including hyper-inflated lengths of reigns of rulers.  No scholar can take such dates seriously.  Even native Iranian sources are so wide in their chronologies, that nothing can really be concluded from them.  Now if the grounds upon which such a remote date of Zoroaster is not even considered because of the totally mythological nature of the subject matter, the rest of the question as to the Iranian awareness of Greco-Roman figures at such a remote period is itself irrelevant.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:22
I hear that.  Apparently, Zoroaster may not have been written by Zoroaster, but an East Iranian speaker.  Can we say the same about Homer's works.  That they were not nessecarily compiled by Homer but a Homeric Greek speaker?  And, correct me unless I'm mistaken, Ahuramazda is an East Iranian.  Darius authorized his own autobiographical "literary" work to be inscripted and fixed in stone, and tells us that it was by Mazda, an East Iranian diety, that he came to be the Shahnashah.  Therefore, either Mazda along with the East Iranian vocabulary came, either, before or after Darius.   Both West and East Iranian works are part of the same Irano-Aryan continuem.  Can we be sure that the Irano-Aryan morphemes weren't influenced by the Greek branch of IE. ?  Both Darius's Behistun and Zoroaster's Gathas were autobiographical, and aside of some place names in the Behistun, conservative in not including non-Irano-Aryan.  It seems to me that the various works that were written in IE. aside from Irano-Aryan, were centered around anomalies of non-IE. origin.  Furthermore, Darius was a, Parsam (Eng. Persian), unless I'm mistaken.  The word, Parsam, was a tribal state designation rooted in the East Iranian roots Prana, Ahura, Zararthustra, Yasna, and Mazda.  Prana is related to every word that has, a P R followed by a vowel, and, a P followed by a vowel followed by an R, hence, protecter, printing, property, private, party or partition.  From the same four words developed the designation of the East Iranian tribe of Pashtun. 

The nature of the IP. works aside from Homer seem to be philosphical, mythological, religious, and fiction.  It is obvious that several Greek philosophers including Plato were aware of Irano-Aryan custom, but little about their vernacular aside from words like Zoroaster, Ahuramazda, Magus, and such. 

Evidence of Afro-Asiatic "literary" formula comes from the Septuagint, using Greek. 

Did the Afro-Asiatic "literal" formula influence Zoroaster or vice versa, because to the best of my knowledge the only thing that is authentic in Isaiah for example is the attestation of Cyrus's human rights charter.    

Are we safe to say that the Gathic, Zend, and Pahlavi "literary" works were written before the Vulgate. 

The Latin "literary" works were transaltions from the Greek.  Latin works were are centered around Etruscan anomalies, and Afro-Asiatic anomalies.  The "literary" formula in the Vulgate comes from Hebrew formulas. 

There is evidence in Greek attestations, and Irano-Aryan attestations like the Gathas that Zoroaster was the son of Mazda, which both Darius's and Zoroaster's "literary" works are centered around. 

In conclusion, i think, the Irano-Aryan "literary" work, the Behistun, was authorized by an authentic author, Darius, and it was written in first person, about his own history .  The next IP. work comparable to the Behistun were Plato's dialogues.  100 years after the Behistun.  Therefore, the Behistun is prima face evidence of an original and authentic, IE. "literary" formula and morphemes, and not an anonymous "literary" formula and morpheme.   The East Iranian "literary" formula and morpheme is part of the same Irano-Aryan continuem.  Ferwadousi's Shahnamah takes from the Avestan "literary" formula and morpheme. 

There is no doubt that other IP. "literary" works take copy and based remarks, on Irano-Aryan formula and morpheme or copyrights and trademarks, concepts and cognates, etc... and not the reverse.     

Edited by mojobadshah - 11-May-2007 at 00:41
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 03:11
I hear that.  Apparently, Zoroaster may not have been written by Zoroaster, but an East Iranian speaker.  Can we say the same about Homer's works.  That they were not nessecarily compiled by Homer but a Homeric Greek speaker?

There is always that chance.  However, the ancients were unanimous in attributing Homer's works to "Homer", beginning in the 5th century BC, just three centuries after their composition.   

And, correct me unless I'm mistaken, Ahuramazda is an East Iranian.  Darius authorized his own autobiographical "literary" work to be inscripted and fixed in stone, and tells us that it was by Mazda, an East Iranian diety, that he came to be the Shahnashah.

There is no debate that Ahura Mazda was East Iranian.  We may add that Darius used other Avesta-like language in his inscriptions, like not "following the Lie", etc.  and Xerxes own inscription tells about shutting down a daiva temple. 

Therefore, either Mazda along with the East Iranian vocabulary came, either, before or after Darius.

There is no doubt that East Iranian Zoroastrian terminology came before Darius.  Even the name of his father Vishtaspa has an Avestan ring to it.  It uses the East Iran form -aspa "horse" instead of the normal Old Persian form -asa. 

Both West and East Iranian works are part of the same Irano-Aryan continuem.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here.   It may be more accurate to say that it was the same religious "continuum" but even in its various forms, the Avesta remained in Avestan, despite the prevalence of the Persian language. 

Can we be sure that the Irano-Aryan morphemes weren't influenced by the Greek branch of IE. ?

I don't quite see the relevance of the question.  I do not think that there was any influence from either side until the Persians came into contact with the Greeks beginning about 547 BC.  

Both Darius's Behistun and Zoroaster's Gathas were autobiographical, and aside of some place names in the Behistun, conservative in not including non-Irano-Aryan.

What do you mean?  The Behistun inscriptions were in three languages, two being non-Aryan.  A fourth language, Aramaic, another non-Indo-Aryan language becomes the language of the Empire.  

It seems to me that the various works that were written in IE. aside from Irano-Aryan, were centered around anomalies of non-IE. origin.

You need to explain what you mean by that.  

Furthermore, Darius was a, Parsam (Eng. Persian), unless I'm mistaken.  The word, Parsam, was a tribal state designation rooted in the East Iranian roots Prana, Ahura, Zararthustra, Yasna, and Mazda.  Prana is related to every word that has, a P R followed by a vowel, and, a P followed by a vowel followed by an R, hence, protecter, printing, property, private, party or partition.  From the same four words developed the designation of the East Iranian tribe of Pashtun.

I think that "P R" pattern has been taken to the extreme.  "Pars-" simply meant "borderland", of which there were many, including one between Media and Assyria (Assyrian, Parsua), between Media and eastern Iran (Old Persian, Parthava from older *parsava), the eastern frontier district of Elam (Assyrian, Parsuwash; Old Persian, Parsa, and of course, Pashtun (older, *parsavan) originally designating the frontiers people next to historic India. 

The nature of the IP. works aside from Homer seem to be philosphical, mythological, religious, and fiction.

Like I've said, these post-Homeric works were hymns and poems, but also dealt with everyday life (Hesiod, Works and Days) especially in poetic form such as Sappho and Alcaeus.  Even Hesiod is autobiographical. 

It is obvious that several Greek philosophers including Plato were aware of Irano-Aryan custom, but little about their vernacular aside from words like Zoroaster, Ahuramazda, Magus, and such.  The Greeks adopted such words as "satrap" and "paradise", Iranic forms, among others.

Evidence of Afro-Asiatic "literary" formula comes from the Septuagint, using Greek. 

The ancient Egyptians, had an "Afro-Asiatic literary formula" long before the Septuagint. 

Did the Afro-Asiatic "literal" formula influence Zoroaster or vice versa, because to the best of my knowledge the only thing that is authentic in Isaiah for example is the attestation of Cyrus's human rights charter.  

What makes everything else "un-authentic"?  

Are we safe to say that the Gathic, Zend, and Pahlavi "literary" works were written before the Vulgate. 

Yes.

The Latin "literary" works were transaltions from the Greek.

There was plenty of original Latin literary works. 

Latin works were are centered around Etruscan anomalies, and Afro-Asiatic anomalies.

While it is true that there was some influence of Etruscan on Latin, this was mainly in the adoption of some words.  Latin works were mainly focused on Latin concerns. 

The "literary" formula in the Vulgate comes from Hebrew formulas. 

Jerome purposefully wanted to translate the Bible into Latin from the original languages, hence the formulas (as in all Christian literature) was Middle Eastern in origin.  But, we must take care to not to confuse this facit of influence from the secular Latin base, which was native to Italy.

There is evidence in Greek attestations, and Irano-Aryan attestations like the Gathas that Zoroaster was the son of Mazda, which both Darius's and Zoroaster's "literary" works are centered around. 

I must point out that none of the Old Persian inscriptions even mention Zoroaster's name, only some Zoroastrian expressions, and of course, the name of Ahura Mazda.  The closest we come to this is the attestation from Herodotus of a daughter of Darius I named in Greek "Artozostre" whose name seems to betray a reference to Zoroaster, himself.

In conclusion, i think, the Irano-Aryan "literary" work, the Behistun, was authorized by an authentic author, Darius, and it was written in first person, about his own history.

A very brief history spanning only the first two (or three) years of his reign. 

The next IP. work comparable to the Behistun were Plato's dialogues.  100 years after the Behistun.

There were many Greek works before Behistun (but either now lost or in fragmented form).  There are allusions to works by the sophists and scientists, such as Thales and Pythagoras, not to mention Solon, who not only wrote Athens constitution, but was also a poet, philosopher and scientist, about 70 years before Behistun.

Therefore, the Behistun is prima face evidence of an original and authentic, IE. "literary" formula and morphemes, and not an anonymous "literary" formula and morpheme.

Considering that Homer, Hesiod, and Solon are much older than Behistun, priority still goes to the Greeks.  

The East Iranian "literary" formula and morpheme is part of the same Irano-Aryan continuem.  Ferwadousi's Shahnamah takes from the Avestan "literary" formula and morpheme. 

The Avestan "literary" formula involved mostly prayers and hymns.  Ferdousi's great work would be an "epic history".  Not much of a continuity.

[quote]There is no doubt that other IP. "literary" works take copy and based remarks, on Irano-Aryan formula and morpheme or copyrights and trademarks, concepts and cognates, etc... and not the reverse. 

I don't think so. 
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 18:22
Could you go into how Homer's, Hesiod's, and Solon's works were autobiographical histories written in first person, under their authorization.

The Old Persian inscriptions were written in first person, autobiographical, historical, and authorized by an Old Persian, and the base input stimili of the cognates, morphemes and the concept or formula, basically, the ideograms are rooted in IE. or Irano-Aryan verbal custom or vernacular and not Afro-Asiatic.

Zoroaster and Darius and Ferwadousi's "literary" works were efforts to preserve the prized private print properties of the person or IE. copy and mark.  The base input stimuli for the Septuagint was Afro-Asiatic.  What were the Septuagint, Vulgate, Gothic, Armenian words for supreme being for instance.  Were there one's Afro-Asiatic in origin?  Or were they IE.? 
Darius's inscriptions were written before the Septuagint.  The Gathas, same custom, were written after the Septuagint, during the Sassanian period.  Before the New Testament was attested, and attested in the Vulgate using Afro-Asiatic stimuli in morpheme and formula or concept.  This idea of Zoroaster being the son of God was attested, by Greek speakers long before the Vulgate or New Testament was attested.

Edited by mojobadshah - 15-May-2007 at 21:49
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 03:17
Could you go into how Homer's, Hesiod's, and Solon's works were autobiographical histories written in first person, under their authorization.

You misunderstood.  I only consider Hesiod as being autobiographical.  I mentioned the others in response to other specifics - Homer for the earliest expression of Greek literature, and Solon for his social, philosophical, and political thought. 

So, regarding Hesiod, in his Works and Days, he states that:

1.  His father was a sea-borne merchant from Aeolian Cyme, trying to make a living, but was not successful and was forced to settle in Ascra, near Mt. Helicon, in Boeotia.(633-640)

2.  He had a foolish brother named Perses (10, 27, and thereafter)

3.  He and his brother divided up their father's inheritance, but with bribery, his brother received from the local lords, the greater portion of it. (36-41)

4.  His brother, through mischief and idleness lost his inheritance (27-34)

5.  He gained his inspiration for song from the Muses of Mt. Helicon (658-659)

6.  He won the singing contest for the funeral games of Amphidamas at Chalcis in Euboea.  (654-655)

7.  He wrote the Works and Days as an admonishment to his brother Perses. (1-29)

The Old Persian inscriptions were written in first person, autobiographical, historical, and authorized by an Old Persian, and the base input stimili of the cognates, morphemes and the concept or formula, basically, the ideograms are rooted in IE. or Irano-Aryan verbal custom or vernacular and not Afro-Asiatic.

I would agree with that, except for the "ideograms".  They originated in Mesopotamia, from the Sumerians, who obviously did not speak an IE language, taken over by the Akkadian-speaking peoples (Babylonians and Assyrians), also non-IE peoples, and then adopted by the Persians.

And Hesiod was written in the first person, with autobiographical details. 

Zoroaster and Darius and Ferwadousi's "literary" works were efforts to preserve the prized private print properties of the person or IE. copy and mark.

Doubtful, except for the last.  Darius had his message translated into many languages.  Zoroaster was preserved for mainly religious reasons. 

The base input stimuli for the Septuagint was Afro-Asiatic.

It was simply a translation of a work originally of the Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and thus does not represent the Greek language at large.  

What were the Septuagint, Vulgate, Gothic, Armenian words for supreme being for instance.  Were there one's Afro-Asiatic in origin?  Or were they IE.?

Is this even relevant?  These are obviously translations, not original works in their respective languages, hence, nothing is proved or disproved as for any alleged inadequacies.  This is for all intents and purposes, a strawman.  The question itself is set up to ignore other material and restrict it to something everyone knows does not address the true essence of the languages involved.

Darius's inscriptions were written before the Septuagint.  The Gathas, same custom, were written after the Septuagint, during the Sassanian period.  Before the New Testament was attested, and attested in the Vulgate using Afro-Asiatic stimuli in morpheme and formula or concept.  This idea of Zoroaster being the son of God was attested, by Greek speakers long before the Vulgate or New Testament was attested.

And Solon, the sophists, Hesiod, and Homer, (literature and treatises without the so-called "Afro-Asiatic stimuli" are attested before Darius.

Edited by Sharrukin - 16-May-2007 at 09:39
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 14:57

Homer's "literary" work was not written down by himself c. 800 B.C.
Hesiod "literary" work was not written down by himself c.700 B.C.

Aparently, both both lived centuries before recorded history.  What does that mean?

Did Darius live before recorded history?

Solon's "literal" works were poetic in nature, and not autobiographical c. 638-558 B.C.

And then comes, Darius's "literal" work, right?  Or are their other Greek authorities that were primier to the Persian emperor?  Darius's "literal" work was autobiographical history, fiction.  Not poetry. Not mythology.  Which was written under his, Darius's, authority, while he existed.  Can we say the same about Homer, Hesiod, and Solon?

Why would Darius have chosen to mention Avestan Mazda, and not Avestan Zardusht?  Can we be sure that Zardusht was not initially a state designation, and as time passed, developed into new state designations, like Par-Za or Parsa? 

Edited by mojobadshah - 16-May-2007 at 15:00
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 02:05
Homer's "literary" work was not written down by himself c. 800 B.C.

All ancient authors are unanimous in ascribing the Illiad to him.  As for his date, c. 750 BC.  The earliest Greek alphabetic inscription, c. 800 BC, hence he belongs to the historical era.  Despite the fact the text betrays an oral tradition (repetitive stock phrases), and despite his reputation as that "blind bard", Greek knowledge of letters was sophisticated enough (the earliest inscriptions were actually word games!!!), since its adoption from Semitic alphabets (which were already used for extensive inscriptions), to have immediately committed this ballad to writing. 

Hesiod "literary" work was not written down by himself c.700 B.C.

Again, ancient testimony is unanimous in ascribing at least the Works and Days to him.  Since, he also belongs to the period after the earliest Greek alphabetic inscriptions, he also belongs to the historical period.  Now, if he did not write it, then, please prove it!!!  Based upon its internal evidence, the nature and style of Greek obviously belonged to a period after Homer.

Aparently, both lived centuries before recorded history.  What does that mean?

Apparently you don't know that they did.

Did Darius live before recorded history?

Does this even warrant an answer?

Solon's "literal" works were poetic in nature, and not autobiographical c. 638-558 B.C.

Solon wrote on a great deal of different subjects, not just poetical.  Again, I mentioned him not because of "autobiography", but I was focusing on his political philosophy.  Are you having difficulty understanding what I'm writing?

And then comes, Darius's "literal" work, right?

Correct. 

Or are their other Greek authorities that were primier to the Persian emperor?

Yes, there were others as well, such as Eumelus, Alcaeus, Sappho, Tyrtaeus, etc.  The whole point was to show that as a group, these more ancient authors demonstrate the wide spectrum of literary expression, from poetry to history to law and philosophy before the time of Darius.  We already have Greek laws written in stone by about 650 BC.

Darius's "literal" work was autobiographical history, fiction.

Fiction? 

Not poetry. Not mythology.  Which was written under his, Darius's, authority, while he existed.  Can we say the same about Homer, Hesiod, and Solon?

Yes.  Remember, Solon was also a law-maker.  Hence Greek literary expression also was political. 

Why would Darius have chosen to mention Avestan Mazda, and not Avestan Zardusht?

Not just Darius but all the other Achaemenids as well.  But, to answer your question, the reason for such, probably had to do with the subject matter of his inscriptions.  They were not religious treatises, but political ones.  Mentioning Zarathustra would have been out-of-place.  In his conception of his place in the world, Darius merely needed to mention his deity, in the same manner that all other ancient middle eastern rulers always invoked the name of their deities to help in their endeavors, thus, this is not unusual. 

Can we be sure that Zardusht was not initially a state designation, and as time passed, developed into new state designations, like Par-Za or Parsa?

There is absolutely no evidence of such for Zoroaster.
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 14:59
I hear you loud and clear.  Tell me more about the Greek "literal" works, that are authobiographical "literal" work's authorized and written down by the author of the work, and not recounted by later Greek authors, not mythological, not poetic, and not legal.  First person accounts of history.  I know I said Darius's work is fiction but I meant to say non-fiction.  Very, non-fiction.  Not philosophy.  Not poetry.  Not mythology.  Not legal.   Just the facts.   

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 03:02
I've noticed that you have shifted from claims of earliest IE "literacy" to claims of earliest "first person [authorized] accounts of history".  I'm making the assumption that what you mean are Greek political inscriptions of the type like Darius's inscriptions.  I need to point out that such style of inscription was a Middle Eastern phenomenon which the Persians learned from the Babylonians and Assyrians.   Greece in the same period did not have such totalitarian concepts of rulership, as a matter of fact, no such political organization - hence no such inscriptions.   What point are you trying to make?
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 20:16
I like the way you put that.  Earliest IE. first person [authorized] accounts of history 'iteral' work.   I'm sure it could be stated better than, even, that.  I did mean a "non-secular" work.  Tell me more about how the Persian inscriptions was a Middle Eastern phenomenon.  

Can we be sure that there is no evidence of Irano-Aryan influence on Egypt, Sumaria, and Akkad?  For example: Egyptian Osirus, and Sirius, resemble Avestan Ahura and Tir.  Tigris and Euphrates are Irano-Aryan roots.  Do Summarian documents mention anything IE.?  

The Akkadian's borrowed Sumarian script, and the Babylonains from the Akkadians, the Assyrians from the Akkadians, and then the Persian's from the Assyrians?  And, Aramaic script comes, conventionally, from the Phonecians?  

What do you mean by style of inscription?    

My thinking is that it is important that the IE. authority was a Persian emperor.  An Aryan aristocrat and artisan.  What kind of statement was Darius making?  Why do Western history classes begin in Persia and then tell of Greece.  Or am I mistaken.  
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 03:24
I like the way you put that.  Earliest IE. first person [authorized] accounts of history 'iteral' work.   I'm sure it could be stated better than, even, that.  I did mean a "non-secular" work.

Now, I'm even more confused.  You want me to give an example of a "non-secular" work, you mean a religious one?  I thought you wanted me to give an example of a "factual" one.  

Tell me more about how the Persian inscriptions was a Middle Eastern phenomenon. 

The type of inscription that Behistun is, can be compared to similar ones by the Babylonians and Assyrians, in which the king, who refers to himself in the first person declares that he did this and that in his xth year of his reign.  The best examples are those of the Assyrian royal annals, such as the Khorsabad Annals of Sargon II which he dates from his first to thirteenth year of reign.  Thus Sargon starts off as saying "In my first year of reign, I...."  and "[by the will of] Shamash, who causes me to attain victory", etc.  The formulas are quite similar, although the Assyrian inscriptions tend to be more boastful.  Other examples include the Taylor Prism Annals of Sennacherib, the B/S Prism Annals of Essarhaddon, and the Rassam Cylinder Annals of Ashurbanipal. 

Can we be sure that there is no evidence of Irano-Aryan influence on Egypt, Sumaria, and Akkad?  For example: Egyptian Osirus, and Sirius, resemble Avestan Ahura and Tir.....

In order to even postulate such "influences" we must be able to detect the presence of the authors of such influence.  Theorizing "similarities" of names is never enough.  In the case of "Osiris", (ancient Egyptian, Wosir we find an Afro-Asiatic etymology meaning either "old" or "to die".  The latter is in bearing with the deity being the god of "death" as well as with resurrection and fertility.  The latter name "Sirius" is simply the Greek name for the star known to the Egyptians as Sopdet, known in Greek transliteration as Sothis.  Hence, no true Aryan connection necessary.

Tigris and Euphrates are Irano-Aryan roots.

Yes they are, but they only date from the time of Persian dominance.  Their Assyro-Babylonian names were Purattu (Euphrates) and Indiglat (Tigris). 

Do Summarian documents mention anything IE.? 

There has not been any study to confirm anything IE.  This is due in part for the fact that there is no evidence of an IE population being neighbors to the Sumerians.  To the west were Semitic-speaking populations, to the north, more Semitic-speaking populations as well as Hurrian-speaking populations, and to the east, Elamitic-speaking populations.  Because the Sumerian language has no relationship to any of these other languages, it is considered a language-isolate. 

The Akkadian's borrowed Sumarian script, and the Babylonains from the Akkadians, the Assyrians from the Akkadians, and then the Persian's from the Assyrians?

Actually, perhaps the immediate inspiration for Persian cuneiform was either the Assyrian or the Babylonian scripts but with hardly any corresponding sound system.  While the "style" of the script was "cuneiform" the characters themselves were differently formed and original values were assigned to these new signs, in the same way that while Japanese characters are similar to Chinese ones (which were the obvious inspiration to them), these were differently formed. 

And, Aramaic script comes, conventionally, from the Phonecians?

Yes.  

What do you mean by style of inscription? 

Autobiographical, historical, first-person, annalistic, mentioning divine intervention, justice against the rebels, admonishment to those who read it, etc.   

My thinking is that it is important that the IE. authority was a Persian emperor.  An Aryan aristocrat and artisan.

I fail to see why "IE authority" required imperial inspiration.  The Greek "literature" certainly did not require any.  Besides, it this is the case then, it required "IE authority" to leave inscriptions in several languages, chief among these being Aramaic, a non-IE language.  Hence, nothing suggests that such authority made OP any more "authoritative" than any other language.  Aramaic is the chiefest proof of this being spread to every part of the Empire by the emperors.  

What kind of statement was Darius making?

In the final analysis, simply a declaration of his power through the justification of the course of events he describes. 

Why do Western history classes begin in Persia and then tell of Greece.  Or am I mistaken.

Mainly to keep a certain chronological and regional scheme.  The earliest history is "Middle Eastern" from the Sumerians and Egyptians, down to the Persians.  Then it shifts to "Europe" with the Cretans (Minoans) and the Mycenaeans and then to the Archaic and Classical Greeks, etc. 
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 16:25
Darius's inscription was factual, and he mentioned Mazda, the progenator of man.  His inscriptions were not a legal document, poetry, mythology, or even philosphy.  It was an authentic IE. autobiographical history and "literal" work of art.   

I see your point.  Darius's style is similar to Sargon II's. 

Unless, one consider's that Zoroaster's "literal" work was composed before Sargon's, and, therefore Sargon's II's "literal" style is similar to Zoroaster's, right?

Sargon was allied with the IE. Cimmerians, and the place name, Assyria, and the invocation, Assur, resemble the Irano-Aryan Asura or Ahura, as in Ahuramazda.

What evidence is there that the Aramaic language was being spoken, before the Old Persian inscriptions? 

Edited by mojobadshah - 21-May-2007 at 16:40
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 02:16
Darius's inscription was factual, and he mentioned Mazda, the progenator of man.  His inscriptions were not a legal document, poetry, mythology, or even philosphy.  It was an authentic IE. autobiographical history and "literal" work of art. 

You still have not told us what is the point this claim.  

Unless, one consider's that Zoroaster's "literal" work was composed before Sargon's, and, therefore Sargon's II's "literal" style is similar to Zoroaster's, right?

I can take this even earlier than Sargon II's.  Sargon II was merely an example.  We have the Calah Annals of Tiglathpileser III (744-727 BC), the Calah Annals of Adad-nirari III (810-782 BC), the Monolith Annals of Shamshi-Adad III (823-811 BC), the Black Obelisk Annals of Shalmaneser III (858-824 BC), the Ninurta Temple Annals of Ashurnasirpal (883-859 BC), the Annals of Tukulti-Ninurta II (890-884 BC), the Assur Annals of Adad-nirari II (911-891 BC), the Prism Annals of Tiglathpileser II (c. 1114-1076 BC), the Assur Palace Annals of Tukulti-Ninurta I (c. 1243-1207 BC), the Temple Annals of Shalmaneser I (c. 1273-1244 BC), the Annals of Adad-nirari I(c. 1305-1274 BC), and this annalistic trend among the Assyrians probably began with Arik-den-ili (c. 1317-1306 BC). 

Anticidents to even these include the annalistic introduction to the Hittite-Mitannian treaty by Shuppiluliumash I (c. 1380-1344 BC), and the War Annals of Thutmose III (c. 1479-1425 BC), although these last were in the third-person.  The more ancient annalistic traditions were probably not "autobiographical" but written in the reigns of their sons and successors.

As far as comparing Zoroaster with any of these, there is simply no comparison.  Zoroaster is not even in that tradition or style.

Sargon was allied with the IE. Cimmerians, and the place name, Assyria, and the invocation, Assur, resemble the Irano-Aryan Asura or Ahura, as in Ahuramazda.

Sargon was not in alliance with the Cimmerians.  As a matter of fact, he was killed by the Cimmerians!!! 

Here is another one of those 'similarities' with no basis of fact.  The name Assur, dates from at least the 25th century BC.  We know of several references to this city in the archives of Ebla and Mari, where a king of Mari styled himself "King of Mari and Assur" and that not long afterwards, the king of Ebla had a treaty with the king of Assur.  This was a time when Semitic populations inhabited the region with Hurrian-speaking populations inhabiting further north and west, and probably east.  There is no evidence of an IE presence during this period.

What evidence is there that the Aramaic language was being spoken, before the Old Persian inscriptions? 

Again, the earliest Aramaic inscriptions date from the 10th century BC at Tell Halaf (ancient Guzana) where the Aramaic king Kapara had an inscription made in Aramaic.  He is dated thus, because there is no apparent Neo-Assyrian influence in its artefacts in this period.  It did not conquer Guzana until about 894 BC. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>