Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnatolian Greeks.Where are they now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anatolian Greeks.Where are they now?
    Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 04:00
    When i was a young boy i read that book "Matomena ton homata "(maybe i am wrong)that means in greek "Bloded lands" (Say Hello from me to Anatolia ) i have translated from turkish name of the book.
"Benden selam soyle Anadoluya"

I want to know where are all people from Ephesus,West Anatolia and central Anotlia.KAraman people ,Pontus People.

I would like to get post from those people if they read this forum.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 07:33
apart from in greece (1920's population swaps) they intergrated into and became a part of the turkish nation of today. Genetically the two nations are very close to each other. 
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 07:42

they intergrated into and became a part of the turkish nation of today

If you are refering to once Hellenized people of Thrace and Near East, today some of their descendents are part of the Turkish nation as Leonidas said. The rest, were exchanged (nfus mbadelesi) with the Turkish Muslims of Greece. And a small part of them still remain as a minority.
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 07:47

I think he is talking about greeks who went to greece with exchange.

Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 08:14
The anatolian greeks mainly established in Athens and Thessaloniki. They usually give the name of the place that they came from to their new neighbourhood like Nea Smyrni in Athens and Kordelio, Nea Mihaniona, Nea Malgara in Thessaloniki. The biggest greek-pontian community is established in Thessaloniki, Kalamaria municipality. 
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 10:45
Yes Mortaza, I am talking about the exchanged people,exchange greeks.I am going to Karaman and Konya (Ikonium) searching for those peoples villages.Around Karaman greek people were speaking turkish but using greek letters.if any one give more info about the churchs and villages of karamanli people.

VARLAAM View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 11:10
http://www.kappadokes.gr/english/history/history2/history2_en.htm

Here is an interesting site about Kappadokes/Anatolian Greeks in English

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 14:17

Epharisto poli.varlaam.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 14:31

Alparslam1071  the  Raoul Blanchard in Geographical Review, {Vol. 15, No. 3. (Jul., 1925), pp. 452} mention as about the numbers of Kappadokian Greeks:

In Asia Minor the exodus progressed regularly throughout the year 1924: 50,000 Greeks have left Cilicia, 8500 the Angora region, 31,000 the northern mountains. Those from the Diarbekr region obtained permission from France to pass through Syria. In October last I myself saw the trains of refugees in Cilicia.

So the total Greek population that exchanged in the specific period  from Kappadokia were 89.500

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 15:18
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

"Benden selam soyle Anadoluya"
Oh, that is a lovely book. In English it is called "Farewell Anatolia". I haven't read it, but it was recomended to me by both Greeks and Turks.

Excrepts from the Turkish version:

Benden Selam Syle Anadolu'ya
Dido Sotiriu; eviren: Atilla Tokatlı
TR

"Ve sen Kr Mehmet'in damad! Hele sen! Niye yle tiksinerek bakyorsun yzme? ldrdm evet seni, ne olmu! Ve ite alyorum... Sen de ldrdn! Kardeler, dostlar; hemehriler... Koskoca bir kuak, durup dururken katletti kendi kendini!.. Anayurduma selam syle benden Kr Mehmet'in damad! Benden Selam Syle Anadolu 'ya!.. Topran kanla suladk diye bize garezlenmesin... Ve kardei kardee krdran cellatlarn Allah bin belasn versin!.."

and a friends attempt to translate it:

EN
And you,Blind Mehmet's son-in-law!Especially you! Why are you looking at me with distain? Alright,I killed you,so what? And I am crying...You killed as well. A whole generation murdered itself just like that!.. Say Hello to my homeland for me,Blind Mehmet's son-in-law. Say Hello for me to Anatolia.Tell her not to hate us for soaking her soil with blood....And May God Curse those who made brother slaughter brother!.."

I will read this book at some point.

Book Review:
Manolis Axiotis is born into a farming family in a Greek village in the mountains above Ephesus, where life revolves around the fields and the olive and fig trees. But he gets on badly with his father and is sent to the bustling, cosmopolitan city of Smyrna and exposed to a much broader world.
The villagers speak Turkish themselves and are on good terms with their Turkish neighbours; their lives follow patterns that have evolved over millennia. And Smyrna is a multi-ethnic city, shared by Turks, Greeks, Armenians, Levantines, and others. But the wars that start in 1912 and then 1914 herald a decade of violence that will destroy this world completely.

Manolis is conscripted into the Ottoman army or rather, as an untrusted Greek, into Labour Battalions which work in appalling conditions. He deserts and goes into hiding, leading a furtive underground life. After the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, he ends up as part of the Greek army and the disastrous campaign to take Ankara. And at the end he is caught up in the massacres involved in the ethnic cleansing of Smyrna.

None of the characters in Farewell Anatolia really come to life: Manolis himself is too much of a blank slate, absorbing information and experiencing events, while the other characters are little more than types. But it is a powerful, gripping tale, offering a panoramic view of the catastrophic end of the Greek communities of Asia Minor. It is an ordinary person's view of how war and nationalism, used by self-centred politicians and amoral Great Powers, can drive communalism and ethnic conflict and destroy communities.

13 September 2004
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 09:36
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

If you are refering to once Hellenized people of Thrace and Near East, today some of their descendents are part of the Turkish nation as Leonidas said. The rest, were exchanged (nόfus mόbadelesi) with the Turkish Muslims of Greece. And a small part of them still remain as a minority.

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

If you are refering to once Hellenized people of Thrace and Near East, today some of their descendents are part of the Turkish nation as Leonidas said. The rest, were exchanged (nόfus mόbadelesi) with the Turkish Muslims of Greece. And a small part of them still remain as a minority.

First of all, Greeks of Thrace were not hellenized people. Don't forget that Greeks settled southern Thrace (eastern and western), many Greeks went there and inhabited the region and subsequently the Thracians were Hellenized.

Anyway, the Greeks of the coastline of Asia Minor (they were not hellenized people) who still live in this region are totally assimilated in the turkish nation. A big part of them fled the country and live mostly in Athens.

Most of the Pontian-Greeks, fled the country too and live in Macedonia, and these who remain in Turkey are assimilated too but they preserve their language and their culture.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 22:58
Anatolian Greeks.Where are they now?

dead, in Georgia, in Greece, in Georgia, in Greece

in that order...

Edited by mamikon - 27-Jun-2006 at 22:58
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 23:16

I am waiting more information from my greek forum friends about

Karamanli Greeks Parakalo.I ve got great link about cappadokian greek from Varlaam.

Efharisto Poli
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 08:58
alparslan1071 are you interested in what aspect of thses people-  culture, history or  language?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

I am waiting more information from my greek forum friends about

Karamanli Greeks Parakalo.I ve got great link about cappadokian greek from Varlaam.

Efharisto Poli
I heard that Karamanli Greeks where infact from Turkic ancestry who adopted orthodox christianism as religion and used Greek alphabet, but nothing is for sure i can be wrong.

Also a question for you, where are you from Turkey? It seems you know Greek lang. aswell...hmmm interesting

Edited by DayI - 29-Jun-2006 at 10:48
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 01:32
Written by Leonidas

alparslan1071 are you interested in what aspect of thses people- culture, history or language?

Leo,

I m interested in all information about all minority people(Greeks,Jews,Armenians,Georgians) in Turkey and old Ottoman Lands.

I am going to travel central anatolia for my summer holiday and i will spend 15 days for anatolian greek language,history,culture.I am going to visit anatolian greeks villages and towns.I will visit Karaman,Aksaray ,Kayseri,Konya.

If you know any friend who came from Central anatolia in Greece please send me info from them.

Or you can give me web address of them (even in Elenika)
please send me.I have greek friend in Istanbul who can translate from elenika to turkish.

From my childhood always i was interested in about minoirty people in Turkey.I ve worked and lived with them and still my best friendsare armenian ,greek and asuryian origin.

Bu Mıntıkanın Dayısı yazmıs :)

Also a question for you, where are you from Turkey? It seems you know Greek lang. aswell...hmmm interesting

I m living in Istanbul but my origine is from Adana and Thessalonikh.

But I dont speak in greek.just know a few words.thats all.

byeee

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by DayI

I heard that Karamanli Greeks where infact from Turkic ancestry who adopted orthodox christianism as religion and used Greek alphabet, but nothing is for sure i can be wrong.

We have discussed this a bit.
Karamanlis were not Turks.They were remains of the orthodox Romji (Byzantines).
So, Greeks today.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 19:06

Yesterday I've read a news in the newspaper that there was a meeting of Istanbul Greeks and a demografic research by a Greek professor Viron Kotzamanis declared that there were about 5 thousand Greeks in Turkey contrary to the common belief that there are only 1200 Greeks in Turkey. The Greeks in Antakya (which joined Turkey in 1939, after 15 years after the population exchange between Greece and Turkey) are also included in this number.

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 03:39
Karamanli people  are greek.But They speak turkish and write  with greek letters. During 13th in that are Karamanoglu Memed bey Ferman says in this area everybody must speak turkish.after that they started to speak turkish like every people in this Beylik (State)This period was between last period of Seljuk and Beginning of the Pre_Ottoman time.

Karamanli people not turkih they are greek.But importan point of this topic how can i reach them and their past.

I want to find Karamanli houses in Karaman and Central Anatolia
and speak with the people who live with then before.

I need more help from greek members.Please send me more info about
their community in Athens or Thessalonikh or any where in Greece.

Please port me their addresses or are information.

Efharisto poli

Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 05:47
Alparslan1071 we would be happy if you tell about your journey after you return.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>