Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Port of Theodosios" discovered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Port of Theodosios" discovered
    Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 07:25
It seems there has been a major archaeological discovery in Istanbul during excarvation works for a new underground station.
It is believed that a harbour from the reign of Emperor Theodosios in the late 4th century has been found.

Preservation work on one of the ships found.

The site

See:

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 15:04
Wow, this is some good news!  Thanks for posting it. Big smile

It will be interesting to see if any of the ships that were unearthed are military vessels.  Perhaps there might be evidence of an earlier version of the Greek fire-shooting apparatus?

The last part of the article mentions that a section of the old wall of Constantine was also uncovered.  I have always wondered if the Byzantine method of wall construction changed throughout its long history.  For example, from the construction of old wall of Constantine to the new sections added during the reign of the Komnenoi and in the 15th century.

Post Reply Post Reply