Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Canada succeeded & Argentina failed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Canada succeeded & Argentina failed?
    Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 21:18
A small problem there. Data is outdated.
It is true that up to the 70s Latin American countries had very close economies and they had the model of replacement of imports.
That's not true anymore. Today, countries like Chile have economies that are more open than the U.S.

Corruption has also descended quite a bit.

There are still problems, though, but the idea that Latin America is doomed because some "genetical" reason is false.

Now, for you, "Ponce", if you don't know, I have to say the following. Peru is doing a good as well. Today is the country in the region that grows faster and that country is embracing a more liberal model. I bet in the long term they will do very well.

Edited by pinguin - 10-Dec-2007 at 21:20
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 21:06
I am going to lean on some economists speculations on South America that the reason why their business and government institutions are so corrupt is because they are not open enough to the global market. If you look at many Western European countries and Canada and the U.S you see that they are very open with the international markets. If more South American countries become more open in foreign trade that will cause transparency and will in turn help limit corruption.

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 10-Dec-2007 at 21:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by JuMong

The failure of South America is a cultural issue; crime, corruption and lack of emphasis on education.

Sure. In the U.S. there is no corruption at all. Nobody lies and nobody make money but all are quite correct citizens. There isn't people shooting at schools and malls, and all people has a PhD. Wink

Now, what failure are you talking about? We are developing right now, no matter nobody pays attention to the possitive side of the countries of Americas' backyard.

JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 09:17
The failure of South America is a cultural issue; crime, corruption and lack of emphasis on education.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 17:11
Canada was for most of its history nothing more than an overseas province of Britain. Don't tell me that Canada started worst than Argentina. That's ridiculous.
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 07:57
Wow this thread degenerated quite quickly.  I think you're taking flyingzone's thesis too personally pinquin.  In relative terms Canada has succeeded in increasing its power in the world over the past century, Argentina's has gone backwards.  It's not as big a difference as comparing Haiti and Dominican Republic but all the same, Argentina started off better than Canada and had its rate of growth kept pace, it ought to have been at least in the G7 by now.  No amount of posting pictures of cheerleaders will negate that.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:51
Sure, Better thin perodydes that fat blonds LOL

Don't you know Argentine produce better "meat" than Canada? I know by experience Evil Smile

Give a break LOL

Pinguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:48
They're fake blondes pretending to be athletes. LOL Wink

Now,...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:29
So what,

You are comparing a country like Argentina that is classified as Upper-Middle-Income economy with a country like Canada with is considered High Income economy.

So, the difference is not as marked as you people pretends. Ermm

I bet these ladies does not look "underdeveloped" at all LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 12-Nov-2006 at 19:31
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:14
The others are in here: http://www.worldbank.org/

Click on Data & Research, then data can be cross-referenced. Wink

LOL Wink 

Edited by Hellios - 12-Nov-2006 at 19:15
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:05

Where do you get those stats? Big smile

Now compare Mali with Singapoor, please Wink

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 17:51

I had the idea that in here:

(1) People don't realize Argentina is not as poor as people imagine.

(2) Canada is not as rich as people imagine either.

Yes, Canada is richer than Argentina, but the difference is not as huge as the one of a poor African country and Singapoor, at all.

Pinguin

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 17:29
One important reason is geography.

Europe and North America are situated just a sea away, and with the completion of the Panama Canal, western countries could completely bypass the country. With the completion of the Panama Canal, Buenos Aires lost importance as a major shipping hub in the Atlantic. Canada also already had strong trade relations with the UK because of its old colonial ties. Canada also had, naturally, strong economic ties with the U.S., which was a growing superpower in itself. This, along with low corruption, lead to the formation of a very economically stable nation.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 08:27
And I forgot. Some people will assume Argentina is a failure and Canada is better because it does not have poverty. That's not true. Poverty exist in Canada and affects lots of people. I saw it directly. The most affected are Native Americans but many whites live in poverty, too.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 08:17
Originally posted by think

But the stereotype is the poorer parts of Latin America are populated by natives an blacks.
Not the whole of Latin America in general.

Yes. You say it right: the stereotype.

Most of the outside world doesn't have a clue about Latin America. Some things people usually don't know are:

(1) There are not racial barriers.
(2) Latin America is the place where more white people live in poverty !
(3) Blacks are a minority in Brazil.
(4) Most Indians live the life of the "Europeans".
(5) Latin America is the richest "Third World" region.
(6) Latin America has human developing standard close to the ones of the developing countries.
(7) The most urban region of the world is Latin America.

The stereotypes are common because of the following: the most attractive parts of Latin America are usually the poorer! People believes that Bahia is Brazil, and that the Peruvian Indian peasant is the common South American subject. But that is as ridiculous as thinking that all Mexicans wear huge sombreros all the day long.

These are the poors of Argentina, for example. As you can see, many don't look Black or Indian

And these are from Brazil

Pinguin
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 07:51
but you hardly find a single report about Latin America. And when someone does something the first think they film is.... the worst favella they could find

Not really. I always thought Argentina, Brazil (Euro) an Venuezala were all wealthyish countries.

Yeh ive watched a thing on the Favelas in Rio.

But the stereotype is the poorer parts of Latin America are populated by natives an blacks.
Not the whole of Latin America in general.

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 11:49
I'm going to agree that language is one of the main factors.  English speakers are far more likely to see other English speakers as someone "We can do business" with..  In international economic relations, it's less about what you can do with what you have, and more about what people will let you do with it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by flyingzone

No comparison is ever perfect. Comparison is only a tool in unravelling variables that may not be as easily discernible when doing an intensive case study. If social scientists are waiting for the two perfect cases to do a comparative study, then they might as well forget about it. Coming up with two exactly identical cases to do a comparison actually defeats the purpose of comparative studies itself.

I agree on that. Now, please agree on me in the following. With this soccer team I really doubt Argentineans are losers LOL

Best Regards,

Pinguin

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by pinguin

What I don't like is to compare Canada with Argentina, because the situations are not the same, and in the past they were also very different.

No comparison is ever perfect. Comparison is only a tool in unravelling variables that may not be as easily discernible when doing an intensive case study. If social scientists are waiting for the two perfect cases to do a comparative study, then they might as well forget about it. Coming up with two exactly identical cases to do a comparison actually defeats the purpose of comparative studies itself.

Edited by flyingzone - 15-Oct-2006 at 13:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>