Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Spain 2nd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Spain 2nd
    Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 05:28
I relaise there is another topic but ive a few questions that arent answered on the other one.

Was Muslim Spain more advanced or on par with the rest of the Muslim World?????

Someone on here said that there was an Important Muslim who was ethnically Spanish not Arab (hes was 1/62), was that common in the South??? Names????

If the Muslims/Arabs were so advanced why didnt they take all of Spain instead of just the South???

Were the Northereners just as advanced?????

Why did the Christians take 50 years to take Granada?????

Do Southerners as of now look more Arab????

Do the Spainards celebrate the year they got all their land back????

Just a few questionsSmile

Edited by machine - 22-Jun-2006 at 11:25
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:19
Actually, I believe that the taking of Granada is also counted as the creation of Spanish Kingdom with Isabella and Fernando but I am not quite sure. It is an important day anyways.

If I remember correctly then the Arabs in Spain were as advanced as the others but both surpassed the other in some areas.

Not just Granada, the Christians took the ports and other territories. During those periods, maintaining an army was quite difficult: you had to get supplies, warm summers (at Granada I suppose over 50 degrees Celsius).

In the first years of the Arab conquest the Arabs controlled the whole Kingdom of West Goths. They lost it piece by piece. Firstly a duke of the kingdom and relative to the king declared him a king of Asturias, his territory after his kings' total defeat and fall in battle. So did other states appear: Pamplona, Navarra, Portugal, Leon, Castile (which evolved into modern Spain).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 03:35

I answered some of your questions in the other thread.  In general, the libraries and translation schools established in Cordoba were the source for the introduction of Classical (Greek and Roman) literature, science, medicine and philosophy to the rest of western Europe as well as Arabic and Persian advances.  Most of these works were in Greek.  They were translated into Arabic and came to Spain with the Islamic rulers who had them translated into Latin for their non-Arabic speaking subjects.  The famous French abbey of Cluny sent monks to Cordoba to study translation under Islamic and Jewish scholars and to bring these works there for dispersal throughout Christian Europe.  Alfonso X (ruled Castilla, Leon and Galicia from 1252 to 1283) established his own translation school and had many works translated into the early vernacular Castillian so that more people could read them.    Keep in mind that this was well prior to Gutenberg's movable type printing press (1447) and each book had to be laboriously copied by hand using a quill. 

In regards to the sophistication of the Christian north, these were basically a bunch of tough hillbillies who cared little for formal education, but were good fighters and fought anybody who got in their way.  Remember Charlemagne's disasterous defeat at Roncesvalles?  It was at the hands of the Basque mountaineers, not the Moors.   

The Spainards didn't get their land back in 1492.  The Catholic Spanish monarchs finished off the last Muslim Spanish monarchy and within a few years expelled the Spanish Muslims and Jews.  Today we call it "ethnic cleansing".  The Jews who were expelled, called Sephardim, still speak a version of 16th Century Spanish called Ladino.  The two early 20th Century US Supreme Court Justices Brandeis and Cardozo were Sephadic Jews. 
 Post Reply Post Reply