Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Epic Songs from the Mexican Revolucion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epic Songs from the Mexican Revolucion
    Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:21
Does anyone know a good source for Mexican "Corridos," short narrative "epic" songs about people or events, from the period between 1910-1930?

I am away from Mexico, and I cannot find a good source of lyrics.

Hugo
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 10:27

Qu Onda Hugo ?
Missing Revolution Day Anniversary ?
Try this website:
http://www.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Musica_Maestro/

However, I believe that this post should be moved to another forum.
Saludos
PS Send me later a PM
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 11:06
Hola Luis,
You've come back! 
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 13:56
Luis,

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Also, tell where should this forum go. Give me instructions on how to move it, and I will do it.

Of course, by my nature, I think that the post belongs here, as long has this forum covers the Americas to this day. This is why: corridos are historical primary sources for popular perceptions of Mexican Revolution.

I think the discussion in this forum has to gain from this topic.

At the same time, this is not my personal site, so I will go ahead and move it where you find it the most appropriate.

Hugo
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 15:11
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Hola Luis,
You've come back! ><

Hi Micoatl:
I have never leave, I just resigned to be Mod.
Regards Pal
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 12:21

Hmmm.  Lately I've been studying the Mexican Revolution in reference to my grandfather and his general Panfilo Natera.  One of the corridos, the famous La Cucaracha (in one version) does make reference to Panfilo Natera.  For corridos I've looked at the following site:

http://redescolar.ilce.edu.mx/redescolar/act_permanent es/his toria/html/cantando_revolucion/mascorridos.htm

Edited by Sharrukin
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 20:56
Thanks for the link. It is a very nice website. The layout and the photos enhance the content.

Sharrukin, are you currently living in Mexico? I ask you because if you don't, maybe you can tell me the name of some sources that you are using in your research.

Hugo
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 22:18

No, I'm not currently living in Mexico, but I hope to get the time to make a trip there going to the places where my grandfather lived, governed, and fought.  He was at "La Bufa" (as my father put it, actually the Cerro de La Bufa just outside Zacatecas) in 1914 when it was taken by Villa.  His jefe, Panfilo Natera couldn't take it, and Villa disobeying Carranza's orders came south to personally take the city.  It was the bloodiest but decisive battle in the Revolution.

My sources of information are the following:

The Life and Times of Pancho Villa, by Friedrich Katz

The Mexican Revolution:  1910-1940, by Michael J. Gonzalez

Heroic Mexico, by William Weber Johnson  (awesome book!!!  he really brings the characters to life!!!  It almost reads like a novel; he really portrayed his subject like an epic. I couldn't put it down)

The Mexican Revolution, vol. 2:  Counter-Revolutin and Reconstruction, by Alan Knight  (no, it's not related to the book by M. Gonzalez)

La Batalla de Zacatecas, by Samuel Lopez Salinas

http://www.ojinaga.com/villa/

Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 23:14

La Toma de Zacatecas was indeed one of the most bloodiest battles of the Mexican Revolution.
I do not think that Torreon or Celaya were so violent.

Regards
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 02:54
Celaya is not considered a battle of the Revolution (between the Huertistas or Federales and the Constitutionalists), but rather a battle between two Revolutionary leaders, Villa and Carranza (two Constitutionalist leaders). 
 Post Reply Post Reply