Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of the name "Istanbul"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of the name "Istanbul"
    Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by perikles

Originally posted by Jeru 

no matter how you call it, its still Turkish,and no matter who's it is the name is still derived from Greek.

You have right. Is a Turkish city with Greeks origin.

Byzantium was fonded by Greeks. It was a greek colony. Colony means that people leave the mother city and go to another place and found a city. This city is a colony.
I cannot understand why so much quarrel for that. The turks came to the area thousands of years after Greeks. They found the city ready. They conquer the city. Ottomans, because Seltzouks was always Been defeated by Byzantins.

[/QUOTE

woah man, hold on for a moment if seltzouks (as you call it) couldnt defeat the byzantians there would never exist an ottoman empire nor there couldnt be any Turks in anatolia, remember 1071 wright?

I think no one is stupid to claim the name istanbul is Turkic from origin, it is Turkish name for constantinople wich is derrived from Greek istinpoli or something.
woah man, hold on for a moment if seltzouks (as you call it) couldnt defeat the byzantians there would never exist an ottoman empire nor there couldnt be any Turks in anatolia, remember 1071 wright?

I think no one is stupid to claim the name istanbul is Turkic from origin, it is Turkish name for constantinople wich is derrived from Greek istinpoli or something.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 22:13
Has it occured to anyone that people simply adopt the toponym that the previous people used when they (the new arrivals) move into an area? This is not always subject to our own nationalistic feelings of today. "Roman" became "Rum" and the area of what is now Sterea Ellada was known as "Rumeli Hissar" during the Ottoman years. The Ottomans seem to have had no qualms (nationalistic or other) in order to adopt "Istanbul" and "Rum", bastardizations of the words the locals had used for centuries,  into their own language. Why can't the people of today accept that?
Furthermore, I grew up around my granma who was originaly from Smyrni (or should I say Izmir in order not to start another bound of "hostilities"Smile). She cooked "imam baildi"  instead of "vegetable stew",  she  made the sweetest-tasting "burek", "kadaif", and "baklava" and she cussed me out with " ai shihtir", go to the devil, not the Greek "ai sto diaolo". When she liked me, she called me "yavrum", sweetheart, not the traditional "psyhi mou", my soul. Am I supposed now to go to her grave (she passed away at age 101) and tell her that she wasn't a "true Greek" grandmother because the origin of the words she used was Turkish? Likewise, how is it that the vitality, prosperity,size, importance, and Turkishness (Turkmaniye?--how do you say "Turkishness"?) of today's Istanbul is at all diminished by the Greek root of its
toponym?

You gotta take the past with a grain of salt, folks...

Edited by konstantinius - 27-Aug-2006 at 23:53
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 01:01

Folks, don't forget that the issue of the derivation Istanbul-Istinpoli is just a theory. Not a fact. There's no strong proof of the origin. Therefore It's not that easy to say Istanbul comes from Istinpoli. Don't be too romantic. Be scientific.

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 02:41
Yes, I do romantise it and it might be an emotional pitfall that could cloud objective judgment of events, but if you were me you'd do the same. Besides,as you've said there isn't any proof either way.Dead

Edited by konstantinius - 28-Aug-2006 at 18:39
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 08:36

Dear Konstantinius,

We lived together in this lans(Anatolia and tharece and balkans)(turks,greeks,kurds,russians,serbians,armenians,arabs,albanians,macedonians,bulgarians )about 900 years (from 1071-until 1924) and our culture mixed.

Current Turkish republic people  use lots of words of the ottoman empire.

Until 1879 we were living in a life peace and quite.But after that Industrialing countries needed more source for more money.

They seperated our lifes.I have lots of similar point with armenian or greek more than british or french people.

I listen rembetiko now (vamvarakis -safto ton kosmo tok kao)

i dont speak greek but i feel what he sayswhen i listen i want to open a bottle a raki(uzo) and feta cheese and melon.

I feel he is talking about this sh*t life and his lover what shes done to him.

We can use this historical background with the tehcnology (internet)we can found fan clubs .

I can find information about your symirnian granma.My grandpa from thessalonikh.and his family came to turkey in 1896 turco-greco war.

mike's View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mike's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 08:45
macedonians?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 08:54
at least istanbul-istinpoli theory is the best theory we have right now and it is widely accepted among western  scholars

ps by the way i first read about this theory when i was child in a french book called "ll etait une fois...l'Homme..." xexeLOL

Edited by ageia - 29-Aug-2006 at 09:22
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 09:08
alparslan greek and turkish culture are pretty different.they have common things that share,but greeks and italians have also common things that doesnt mean that their cultures are the same.

oh and smth else greek language has turkish words but also has italian and lately english words too....all the languages of the world have many many greek words(not only turkish language)....

Edited by ageia - 29-Aug-2006 at 09:12
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 16:43

Dear aqeia,

if you can be friend with your self this is the best thing in the world.
Threads are for our friendship and sharing our humanity.Not for seperating from each other.

Just try to love your self and other people which god created.

Give us positive energy with your post.If you want to stay in our hearts.

Ciao bello.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 23:29
Originally posted by ageia

alparslan greek and turkish culture are pretty different.they have common things that share,but greeks and italians have also common things that doesnt mean that their cultures are the same.

'Greeks are Turks who think they are Italians'
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 04:41
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

Originally posted by ageia

a sicilian told me that, and i said back 'coming from a greek that thinks his Italian'Smile

Edited by Leonidas - 30-Aug-2006 at 04:42
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 16:15

turks in Turkey do not look like asian like central asian turks.why we are   a piece of roman,a piece of slav,a piece of greek,a piece of persian,a piece of caucasian,a piece of armenian,a piece of hitit,a piece of phrygian,a piece of who lived in this land(balkans,anatolia,caucasia,north africa.)

in the some of the lonely planet tv series i have seen a scene.traveler was in south italy and she visited a far village close to Bari.She showed us a fontain.There was a tablet on the fountain written with the greek letters.

Because origin of the village coming form Greece.They stil speak in greek.but they are italian.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 01:26

Hidden, did somebody hack your account?WinkTongue
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Hidden, did somebody hack your account?WinkTongue

haha Smile

'Turks are Arabs who think they are Greeks.'

Wink
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 10:41
everyone is Greek and think that is something else

xexexe
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 20:05
Byzantium in Roman times.

Constantinople in Byzantine times.

Konstantaniyya in Ottoman times.

Stin poli(Istanbul) in Greek which means into the city in modern day.
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 07:42
The city was known as Islambol, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise how logical it is for it to have such a name.

Why was it changed?

Umm, there was a revolution, the Ottoman Establishment overthrown, the old capitol was moved and to weaken its power and get away from it being the centre of the Capiphate aswell as to secularise, the name Istanbul was adopted.

Did a similar thing happen in Kos?

Similar examples of modern Turkish placenames derived from Greek in 
this fashion are Izmit, earlier Iznikmit, from Greek Nicomedia, Iznik from
Greek Nicaea ([iz nikea]), Samsun (s'Amison = "se + Amisos"), and
Istanky for the Greek island Kos (from is tin Ko).
The occurrence of the initial i- in these names may partly reflect the old Greek form
with is-, or it may partly be an effect of secondary epenthesis due to the
phonotactic structure of Turkish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_%28etymology%29

or maybe that too was Islamkoy!

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 08:08
Still arguing over this? jeeeez this has already been debated over and over again.

Istanbul was called so many names,

Neu Roma, Micklegard, Tsargrad, Costa, Kushta, Astana, Pay-i-Taht, Islambol, Konstantinniye and so on, all these names were used by different people. The Ottomans used, Islambol, Konstantinniye, Astana.

The theory that Fatih the Conquerer heard a few Greeks saying IN TO THE CITY and named it after this is laughably ridiculous, he did know the name of the city he was invading guys I mean come on     

Istanbul
Islambul

Another likely explanation, being its a Persian word, Land Bridge you know it connects Asia to Europe.

Oh and by the way, there were no "Greeks" in those times, there were "Rum"-"Romans", that's how the people saw themselves at the time, if they called themselves Greek, the Turks would have called them Greek.

Still Turks call Christian people like Greeks, Venetians, Geneoese in Western Turkey "Rum" only Greeks in Greece are called "Yunan".

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 10:50
I didnt know that Istanbul is a persian word but it makes kinda sense actually... Intan being land and bul=bol which is pronounced pol in modern persian.... hihi baghdad and Iraq are also persian words,,, so is syria (suri ye) and astana :O 

Edited by shayan - 10-Oct-2006 at 10:52
Iran parast
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 16:07
From The First Her presence,mother's beauty,kisses spark!Goddess of Earth kisses sun light here from the very beginning as it looks!At least i am logical."IST" structure is very new for me but will solve it.ALL changes will
be published here.It is NaDeNaJVe,world wide known as Danayans,"people of Troy"...We say ISTOK/O for East side of the world!Word speaks about Sun's shelter!

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Jan-2012 at 11:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>