Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thessaloniki,the lady of the Balkans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thessaloniki,the lady of the Balkans.
    Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 09:27
Originally posted by kotumeyil

What's the proportion of Anatolian Greeks in Thessaloniki? Are they majority or minority?

As Giannis said 50-50. In the anatolians are mostly Pontians. The others are eather "Thesalonikis" or from western and southern Macedonia.

By the way you will still encounter turkish speakers in certain areas. Wink

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
last_janissary View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote last_janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 14:00
yess wonderful city also there is the house where Mustafa Kemal Atatrk 's born in ... however i live in izmir at turkey and i think that selanik to resemble izmir

izmir..

http://www.allempires.com/

http://www.ilkerozer.net

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 14:06
What supposed to do Smyrna with Thessaloniki?

btw I like the second picture, is from Ephesos and I admire the Greek artifacts.
Knight
Knight

Quote last_janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 14:13
and the ataturk's house..in selanik

not important , the symbol of selanik , beyaz kule "white tower" is an ottoman building..

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 14:36
The present tower dates from the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent (152066). There was an older tower on the same site, built by French knights during the period of the Latin Empire in Constantinople.

The Tower was used by the Ottomans successively as a fort, garrison and a prison. In 1826, at the order of the Sultan Mahmud II, there was a massacre of the prisoners in the Tower. Owing to the "countless victims of Ottoman torturers and executioners", the tower acquired the name "Tower of Blood", which it kept until the end of the eighteenth century.

Greeks after the liberation of Thessaloniki ,it whitewashed as a symbolic gesture of cleansing, and acquired its present name.
Knight
Knight

Quote last_janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 15:42
i have written that the tower had built by architect from venice at 1536

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 20:48
Beautiful pictures!  I would like to go there one day, it has such a fascinating history.  My friend is from Greek macedonia and we agreed we would go on a trip there one day ;)
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 23:08
Originally posted by akritas

What supposed to do Smyrna with Thessaloniki?  

An interesting fact I have noticed that the people of Izmir feels closer to the people of the Thessaloniki than they do to the rest of Turkey. His excitement about Thessaloniki is probably due to that fact. But It looks really weird, indeed.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 00:13
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

Originally posted by akritas

What supposed to do Smyrna with Thessaloniki? [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align=middle>

An interesting fact I have noticed thatthe people of Izmir feels closer to the people of the Thessaloniki than they do to the rest of Turkey.His excitement about Thessaloniki is probably due to that fact. But It looks really weird, indeed.

I know that and that's why they are "brother" cities!!

Edited by akritas - 16-Dec-2006 at 00:14
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 15:30
More images of Thessaloniki. Smile

Notice the ruins: Wink

Wink The nice mix of old & modern architecture:

LOL I'm not sure if that's the Ataturk house in below image:

Pretty trees:

Smile More architecture:

Street near the city center, I think:

Smile 

Edited by Hellios - 17-Dec-2006 at 03:59
Knight
Knight

Quote last_janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 02:59
**edited due to content** yes...really brother ctiess...

Edited by Seko - 19-Dec-2006 at 15:32

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 14:10
Hellios, on the very long street (Kordon) by the İzmir Gulf there are many buildings just like the one in the last picture. Also many descendants of the Turks from Selanik live in Izmir today. There's one more thing: AFAIK the city plans are pretty similar in both cities.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 17:05
Originally posted by last_janissary

do you know that these soldier's grandfathers are swimming in gulf of izmir    yes...really brother ctiess...

What is this?If you reffer to 1922 its a phrase that insaults thousands of Greeks who expatriated and you make fun of that?
In the Gulf of Smyrni you couldn't swim because of the dead bodies in the surface.How dare you?
Moderators must do something for this,its extremely insaulting.

Edited by Patrinos - 18-Dec-2006 at 05:29
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 17:41

do you know that these soldier's grandfathers are swimming in gulf of izmir  

Nice comment, and I see the mod doesn't seem to mind.  Let's see what admins think.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 05:45

do you know that these soldier's grandfathers are swimming in gulf of izmir    yes...really brother ctiess...

last_janissary, your comment in this post is totally inappropriate. Refrain from such attitude in the future or you will be the lost_janissary!

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 06:00
@Helios
This is Athens' parade Smile
The ruins are "the Gate of Hadrian".

As for the White tower,the first tower in the same area was byzantine ,reconstructed in the 12th century and known as "tower of Samareia".
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:23
@Helios
Its Athens.
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21103n/e211cn01.html

The arch in the first pic.
Also in the last it can be read on the label :"El.Venizelos" (Athen's Airpot)
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:29
You double posted I think.  If they're not Thessaloniki, I can (if you want) post pics of a Thessaloniki military parade, but anyhow, the point was made; people shouldn't talk about acquiring another country's land. Smile  I'm a firm believer in that anything within what have become Turkey's borders should remain part of Turkey, because thinking the contrary is useless, and in the same way; anything within what have become Greece's borders should remain part of Greece.

Cheers.

Edited by Hellios - 19-Dec-2006 at 08:46
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:29

I can see "Prigkipos" cafe in depth.
I was drinking a double greek/turkish coffee there before 3 hoursSmile
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:32
Originally posted by Brainstorm

I can see "Prigkipos" cafe in depth. I was drinking a double greek/turkish coffee there before 3 hours Smile 

I'm jealous!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>