Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Architecture of your nation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Architecture of your nation
    Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 14:57
reminds me of Tibet
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 15:31
Jorsalfar, the white church is the monastery church of Varnhem. You can see the remnantes of the monastery itself to the left.

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

just how do you believe it would have have been teleported to Norway?

Maybe by mongols!

Who arrived 2-300 years after the churches was built?

Thing is, stave building as a technology was common in Scandinavia, and you can follow the development through the centuries. There are no indications of foreign influences (nothing similar in the neighbouring lands, for example).
What is most funny with the claim is that the building technique (ie hte way it is constructed, the engineering) is quite different from the Chinese. I assume you mean visual appearance anyway - but no Norwegian had been even near China, and vice versa.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 19:30

The stave churches are indeed completely native. They are built the way they are because of efficiency, using only wood in this effective construction allowed christians to set up churches more quickly and spread christianity more efficiently in scandinavia (which was no easy task there).

I've built one out of Lego, and it also often gets mistaken for something chinese by noobs Actually, I think stave churches look way more Thai than Chinese. They don't look Chinese at all IMO.

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 02:11

In their homeland in Central Asia, Turks lived in dome-like tents appropriate to their natural surroundings, and they were nomads. These tents later influenced Turkish architecture and ornamental arts. The architecture of medreses, mosques and other Islamic buildings changed in Islamic world. And all the Islamic architecture was influenced with new Turkish power and rule over all Muslims. Turks became the leader of Islamic world with the Seljuks, and then the Ottomans. So there appeared a vommon Islamic architecturei influenced by nomadic Turkish tents and art, old middle eastern architecture, Arabic mosques and Persian architecture and art. But still, you can see the differences btw Arabic mosques and Turkish ones. The Turkish ones have circular top shapes, and a sharp shape on the middle of the roof. It is a main characteristc structure of old Turkish architecture. The nomadic tents were circular and similar to todays mosque structures of Turks, except they were smaller...

Sultan Ahmet Mosque (Blue Mosque) in Istanbul

An example of contemporary architectural design - ANKARA

Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 02:57
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

styrbiorn

what is the name of that church made ofwhite stone?

It looks really nice.

That's the one i commented on to It looks really, really nice!

I can promise the stave churches aren't influenced in any way by any orientals. Most stave churches were built before 1200. Whereas the mongols didn't come to europe until about 1220. And Scandinavia is about as far away from China as you could get in that time. They believ the style is ancient in design.

And Oguzoglu. Is that mosque byzantine, or turkish? Anyway it was very pretty
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 03:06
I think the stave churches look alot nicer, the stone cathedrals have no charm. But aaaaight

Indeed, someone should attempt a neo-stave style or something, bring the form to stone or something.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 03:26
That mosque is totally Turkish, not Byzantine. I didnt give any photos of Hagia Sophia, because it is an example of both Byzanthine and Turkish architecture... Also I have lots of more photos, but I'll send them later, because of my lack of a healthy web connection...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:09
And Oguzoglu. Is that mosque byzantine, or turkish? Anyway it was very pretty

Turkish, but it really depends on how you see it - the Turkish architecture was heavily influenced by the Roman. St Sofia is completely Roman (not a mix, though Turks added the minarets) and in much it served as a model for Suleimaniye as well as the Blue mosque posted above.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:51

Like I said, I don't think stave churches look Chinese, but I found the stave churches have some resemblance with Thai temples. I now found a pretty good picture to illustrate my point:

However, stave churches are, as mentioned, completely native, I think this is like pyramids: they look alike but they're just built by different people with the same intentions. It's an effective construction to begin with, and the ornaments on the rooftips are probably to fend off evil spirits. At least that's my bet

Edited by Teup
Whatever you do, don't
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 10:42

Like I said, I don't think stave churches look Chinese, but I found the stave churches have some resemblance with Thai temples.

But Thai temples look Chinese, don't they?

Turkish, but it really depends on how you see it - the Turkish architecture was heavily influenced by the Roman. St Sofia is completely Roman (not a mix, though Turks added the minarets) and in much it served as a model for Suleimaniye as well as the Blue mosque posted above.

About stave church, it also really depends on how you see it, when I say they look Chinese, it doesn't mean that some Chinse came there and built those churches, but I mean it is just possibe that they have been inspired by eastern Architecture.

In their homeland in Central Asia, Turks lived in dome-like tents appropriate to their natural surroundings, and they were nomads. These tents later influenced Turkish architecture and ornamental arts. The architecture of medreses, mosques and other Islamic buildings changed in Islamic world.

I agree but just about Turbes not Mosques and Madrasas, Persians and Romans had built Domes earlier than building tents by Turks!

Trbe (Turkish: "tomb-tower"), Persian GONBAD, form of mausoleum architecture developed by and popular among the Seljuq Turks in Iran (mid-11th to 13th century) and later carried by them into Iraq and Anatolia.

Mausoleum of Safi od-Din, founder of Safavid dynasty:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 10:52

About stave church, it also really depends on how you see it, when I say they look Chinese, it doesn't mean that some Chinse came there and built those churches, but I mean it is just possibe that they have been inspired by eastern Architecture.

I can't follow your line of thought. The stave churches had absolutely nothing to with Chinese architecture (no, there is no chance whatsoever they were inspired by eastern architecture), whereas the Ottoman mosques were inspired by the Hagia Sofia, and had many Roman architectoral elements in them.
edit: that's what I meant: The mosques are of course Turkish, but they do contain some Roman architecte directly inherited from them.

I agree but just about Turbes not Mosques and Madrasas, Persians and Romans had built Domes earlier than building tents by Turks!

That's correct, the Turks got the domes from the people they conquered.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 10:53
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

I can't follow your line of thought. The stave churches had absolutely nothing to with Chinese architecture (no, there is no chance whatsoever they were inspired by eastern architecture), whereas the Ottoman mosques were inspired by the Hagia Sofia, and had many Roman architectoral elements in them.
edit: that's what I meant: The mosques are of course Turkish, but they do contain some Roman architecte directly inherited from them.

That's correct, the Turks got the domes from the people they conquered.

No. Turks had domelike tents since ancient times of nomadic lifestyle...

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 10:59
There is a major difference between dome-like tents and domes, a technology the Turks got from either the Persians or Romans.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 00:35

the stavechurches were built before the mongols came to europe.

And they themselves never came to Norway.

I think it was a joke and you didn't quite get it. The mongols were nomads, they didn't have any form of architecture.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 08:38

I have collected a few examples of Turkish architecture from modern and old ones.

Topkapi Palace. Sultans residence in Sarayburnu. 

Topkapi Palace

Topkapi again

Dolmabahce Palace: There was two palace for sultans in Istanbul. First one is Topkapi Palace and later they moved to Dolmabahce Palace until the end of the empire.

Dolmabahce Palace

hapetype>

Dolmabahce Palace

Dolmabahce Palace

Kuleli Military Lycee       

Palace of Beylerbeyi         

Beylerbeyi

Beylerbeyi

Feriye Kosku

Marmara University

Marmara Universityhapetype>

Kucuksu Kasri

hapetype>

Kucuksu Kasri

Ihlamur Kasri

Sari Kosk

Some old buildings from Istanbul

Mehmet the Conquerors tomb  

Modern Turkish architecture: Yeditepe University.    

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 15:04
Here in little ole Spokane we have a lot of neo classical or Greek Revival style architecutre plus...

Spokane county courthouse

the Spokesman Review building

http://www.stjohns-cathedral.org/images/visitors1_2.jpg
St John's church Catholic

http://www.inlandtour.debut.net/south-hill/stjohns.jpg?aol
St. Johns Episcopal church in Spokane,
River front park- Expo 1974 site and courthouse

http://www.spokaneoutdoors.com/images/cutter06.jpg
Campbell house

Masonic Temple

http://www.masonrypromotion.com/gallery/spokane-club-sm.jpg
Spokane Club
Old Carnegie Library -neo classical
http://www.masonrypromotion.com/gallery/gonzaga-admin.jpg
Gonzaga University Catholic

Greek Orthodox Church

view of downtown Spokane- I live in a nearby town called Cheney
Atourian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Atourian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 03:53
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Wasn't that previously not a mosque?
Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; the end of the world is evidently approaching.
- Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by Atourian

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Wasn't that previously not a mosque?

It's a mosque all right, your thinking of the St/Hagia Sophia - which is a museum nowadays.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 17:07

I'll try again

Sofia

National Theatre

Ministry of Agriculture and Forests

The statue of St. Sofia, one of Parlament buildings, Ministerial council

Patriarchal cathedral St. Alexandar Nevski

One of Buildings on Goverment 

House in Bulgarian style - in Plovdiv

Glojen's Monastery - St. George Victor 

Monastery Sedem prestola - Seven thrones

Rila monastery

Pazardjik's old post

Edited by tzar
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 22:07

Fact - Mimar Sinan, the famous architect that designed many of the Mosques in Istanbul, was an Armenian. It is even proven in the Ottoman archives.

There was also Sarkis Balyan, who built the Dolmabahce palace.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>