Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Where God does not exist"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Where God does not exist"
    Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 15:04

Today I read that it was investigated and found out that it's 13 years old (I'm not sure if true). I think removal of it may cause more damage so let it stay. Also it attracted a few thousand tourists last week Tongue

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 20:59
Originally posted by Leonardo

I bet it's a fake.

Besides a better translation would be "from where God is absent" or "from where God is far away."

Yes, I agree with you
abeo, -ire, -ii, itum, go away, depart, leave the latin verb variant

Cheers!

Edited by balkanitus - 20-Jun-2006 at 21:29
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 05:37
If it would cause damage to remove it I say leave it there, its not some scruffy little piece of vandalism I think its quite fitting, whatever the precise translation "where god does not exist" just seems fitting to me.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 06:08
Yea if it's attracting tourists then leave it, it's good for Turkey. In a few hundred years you can authentically claim it to be a really old and mysterious inscription Wink
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 08:06

It can hardly been recently discovered, as not only is there a sturdy gate fixed in the doorway and a handrail fitted to accomodate the doubtless many tourists passing through, which would makr it unlikely no-one ever saw this large red lettering before, also the sign, with translation, shown on the other picture looks as if it has been there for some time, to get all worn like that.

But this wouldn't be the first time authorities or religious groups or any other sort of group for that matter, suddenly sees offence in something which had been there in their face all along. So the whole thing about is being offensive sounds a lot like some kind of attention drawing.

that being said. I don't think it looks very old. How many medieval persons would have been able to scratch such neat grafitti on such a difficult and public spot without being noticed? Of course, while writing this, I realized this goes for modern people as well...LOL

Interesting question, this...But hopefully they wont remove it when it is really old...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 12:54
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Yea if it's attracting tourists then leave it, it's good for Turkey. In a few hundred years you can authentically claim it to be a really old and mysterious inscription Wink

Yeah give it a few centuries and they'll say of us "those ancients sure had a sense of humour, poor savages shame they didnt have holodecks like us" LOL
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 06:20
One more reason not to let the religious fanatics in.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 14:26
There is "u" in the script but the Latins were using "v" instead of "u", weren't they?
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 15:23
wasn't this sentence written over torture chambers?
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 02:33
Originally posted by kotumeyil

There is "u" in the script but the Latins were using "v" instead of "u", weren't they?

In the ancient Roman alphabet there was no "U" but only "V". The  "U" and "W" letters were introduced in Middle Ages.

Edited by Leonardo - 02-Jul-2006 at 04:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12