Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

King of beasts in Colosseum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King of beasts in Colosseum
    Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 03:02
Does anyone know which animal deserved the name "king of jungle" during the Roman era???

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 05:08

I'm not sure which was the most feared at the time- but many African animals were familiar sights in the games.  Common European bears, dogs, horses and wolves were sometimes used - but the exotic was much more popular.  Lions, panthers, leopards and occasional tigers were featured - as were buffalo, elephants, rhinocerous, zebra, gorillas, and chimpanzees and the notoriously vicious giraffe. 

Here's your sword - we're gonna close this door now - go kill that herd of buffalo before they kill you.  I can almost understand.   But imagine attacking a giraffe with a sword and spear.  Just to see the blood flow.

I know - it's a modern value judgement on history - against which I preach all the time - but still - Why?

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 10:25

Originally posted by Kids

Does anyone know which animal deserved the name "king of jungle" during the Roman era???

Why "man" of course

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 20:31
The lion. It has been a symbol of royalty for generations
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply