Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of the Devil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of the Devil
    Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 12:54
    In western society we believe in two things. Good and Evil. God commands heaven. and the Devil commands hell. We know that Lucifer (the Devil) was one of God's favorites. And that he got caught up on his Hubris and decided that God's time has come. He believed it was his time to take over the Kingdom of Heaven. With 1/3 of Heaven's angels he declared war on God. I forgot the name of the angel (i think it was michael) who was the leader of God's angels and defeated Lucifer. .

-------------Thus Lucifer was casted down into hell along with all of his followers (thus known as the fallen angels) Here Lucifer ever dilegently tries to do anything to hinder God. That is where "Humanity" comes in. Here Lucifer will mess with God by tempting humanity into doing his bidding. THus all who have failed God's wishes are sent to hell to be enslaved and burn for eternity.

-----But who created the real concept of the devil?----

Inspiration for the Devil have actually come from very ancient religions. Trolls, Goblins, and deamons from other religions can be considered the ancestors of the devil. From Chinese, Persian myth. To Egyptian lore like Anubis..the keeper of the underworld.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 21:50
Well, actually the Devil doesnt command Hell, hes here on Earth trying to take as many souls with him to Hell when his time comes. At least from a christian standpoint.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 21:54
How can you declear war on God?

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 16-Jun-2006 at 02:31
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 22:19
I've mentioned the following theory before in another thread a while ago. Some people applauded the ingenuity of it. Some people accused me of blasphemy. But for you religious people out there, don't stone me for saying that because that's not my theory. (I am an atheist and I don't believe in this thing called "God"). A friend of mine proposed it.

The theory: God and the Devil are one.

My friend asks, "Why would God forbid Adam and Eve from eating the fruit of knowledge?" (That's a very fundamental question that Christians should try to answer actually even if they don't find my friend's theory credible.) The only plausible explanation for that, according to my friend, is that once they had eaten the fruit of knowledge, they realized that God and Devil were the same entity, something that God did not want them to know in the first place. And the rest is history ...

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 22:43
Very interesting that you have brought up "the snake" flyingzone. Actually in the old testament there has been very little reference to the devil. He only appears really in the "Book of Revelations." But when the Catholic church was growing, they needed to scare people so they can obtain almost absolute power. Thus the candidate for this was "the devil." The church looked at many ancient texts to find evidence of the devil here and there, and use this to fuel their propoganda to scare everyone into following the one and only Church

-------Now the snake is one example. In true belief, the ancients who wrote the snake that tricked Adam and Eve was actually..."just a snake." But the Church saw the snake as the devil himself. They said that the devil will take any form to impose his will and dominance in humanity. Thus they have stated that the first time the devil has ever appeared was in the form of the snake of Adam and Eve

----You might say that the devil's best supporter back in medieval times is actually the Church! Kinda weird no?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 23:26

as per Islam the Devil will be punished in Hell, he has no power in hell and he will receive the harshest punishment there.

so its not like christians or western ideas that the Devil is the master of Hell and he punish people there ...etc.

he will be there with the people who followed him and will be punished there.

heaven and hell has one master and that is God, the creature who apply the punishments in hell are type of  Angles who are called Punishment Angels.

Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 02:12
People firstly have to stop approaching this from a evolution is prooven view, people do this with monotheism topic too: people are already biased by assuming that monotheism/devil d/evolved. What if Judaeo-Xtianity is true? that would considerably change the picture.

Your question is deeper than one may realise. The real issue is the origin and development of dualism. But even dualism as a label has become sterotypical/loaded: "Xtianity is dualism".

So with the question what are origins of devil or monotheism we have to approach it HOLISTICALLY. If Judaeo-Xtianity is true then God is Holistic/In and Devil/sinners/fallen are dualistic/out.

I am still trying off and on to write my magnum opus which does deal with these issues/questions and am reluctant to give too much away. But one of my discoveries is that the bible and mythology are about a dualistic and dialectic interaction thruout time (historical and prophectic). Thruout the bible there continually recur types of 2 dualistic lineages: (seed of) Woman v (seed of) Serpent, Adam v Serpent, Adam v Eve, Adam v Enosh, 8th day man v 6th day man, Abel v Cain, Seth v Cain, angel v demon, god v devil, Shem v Japet, YHWH v Elohim, tree life v tree knowl, Jacob v Esau, Abram v Lot, Isaac v Ishmael, Judah v Israel, Ephraim v Manasseh, sons Light v sons Darkness, Jesus v John, John v synoptic, Paul v James, David v Saul, etc. Of course some of these are only types of dualistic but are really/also dialectic. These 2 lines also appear all thru other mythologies like (note some of these are dualisms but others are dialectic/antidual):

Horus (race) - Set (race);
Osiris - Set;
crook - flail;
Set - Apophis;
Lower Egypt - Upper Egypt;
Dua - Sef;
Geb - Nut;
Shu - Tefnut;
Osiris - Isis;
Ra/Re - Atum/Amon;
Shem - Ham;
Nun - Naunet;
black - red;
Isis - Set;
Uraeus - Apophis;
Amaterasu - Susano;
Izanagi - Izanami;
In - Yo;
Chrysanthemum - Dragon;
Romulus - Remus;
Mars - Venus;
Castor - Pollux;
Bielobog - Chernobog;
Younger Bogatyr - Elder Bogatyr;
Mawu - Lisa;
Obatala - Odudua;
Yin - Yang;
Fu Hsi - Nu Kwa;
Shen - Kwei;
Taoism - Confucianism;
Persia - Media;
Ashavan - Drugvan;
Mithra - Gosh/Taurus;
Vohu Manah - Akah Manah;
Tishtriya - Apaosha;
Arya - Turia;
Ahura/Amesha Spentas - Devas;
Ahura Mazda/Ohrmuzd - Angra Mainyu/Ahriman;
Apsu - Tiamat;
An - Ki;
Igigi - Anunaki;
Marduk - Tiamat;
Ea - Apsu;
Bel - Dragon;
Ea/Enki - Enlil;
Sumer - Akkad;
Euphrates - Tigris;
Sarku - Admu;
Adapa - Shutu;
Babylon - Assyria;
Gilgamesh/Izdubar - Enkidu/Eabani;
Ara the Fair - Bel;
Mediterranean - Persain Gulf;
Baal - Mot;
Aleion - Mot;
Mot - Leviathan;
Baal - El;
Khoser - Hasis;
Elim - Elohim;
Baal - Yamm;
Sachar - Salem;
Allah - Allat;
Arthur - Mordred;
Merlin/Lady of the Lake - Mab;
Lug - Balor;
TDD - Fomor;
Gawain - Lancelot;
Diarmaid - Grianni;
Tristan - Iseult;
Gog - Magog;
Gawain - Green Knight;
Catholic/Ireland - Protestant/England;
Lleu - Dylan;
George - Dragon;
Dr Who - Master;
Blake - T...;
Sherlock Holmes - Moriarty;
Luke - Han;
Luke/Yoda - Vader/Emperor;
Rebel - Empire;
Mason - Xtian;
D Got - D Gott;
Aryan - Jew;
George - Dragon;
Gods - Dark;
Vili - Ve;
Ask - Embla
Odin - Fenrir;
Thor - Midgradsorm/Jormungard;
Frey - Surt;
Tyr - Garm;
Vidar - Fenrir;
Heimdall - Loki;
Lif - Lifthrasir;
Vidar - Vali;
Baldr - Hoder/Loki;
Liosalf - Svartalf;
Thor - Etins;
Aesir - Vanir;
Frey - Freya;
Rob Hood - K Arthur;
RH - Sheriff Notts/Guy Gisbourne;
Welfs - Ghibbelines;
Lancaster - York;
centrifugal - centripetal;
Xiu - Itza;
white Manitou - black Manitou;
quetzal/feather - coatl/serpent;
sons of light - giants deprived of light;
beauty - ugly/cruel;
Tawiscara - Ioskeha;
Hahgewhdiyu - Hahgwehdaetgah;
Tawenduare - Arikute;
Dionysian - Apollonian;
Achilles - Hector;
Athens - Sparta;
Athens - Atlantis;
hot - cold spring;
Mykenae - Troy;
spirit/soul - body;
Zeus - Kronos;
Olympians - Titans;
gods - ...;
Epicurean - Stoic;
Zeus - Theran;
Zeus - Typhon;
Plato/Pythagoras - Aristotle;
Uranus - Gaia;
Apollo - Artemis;
Prometheus - Epimetheus;
Hellene - Pelasgian;
Hermes - Aphrodite;
Cupid - Psyche;
Apollo - Python;
Buddha - Mara;
Krishna - Kalyia;
India - Pakistan;
Pandavas - Kauravas;
Deva - Asura;
rupa - arupa;
Arya - Dasyu/Dravidian;
sat - asat;
Mitra - Varuna;
Krishna - Arjuna;
Surya - Chandra;
Hinayana/Ther... - Mahayana;
Brahman - Kshatriya;
Yama - Yami;
Shiva - Shakti;
Siva/Hara - Visnu/Hari;
Krishna - Balarama;
Yab - Yum;
Brahman - Abrahm;
Kama - Mara;
Vasishtha - Viswamitra;
Indra - V.../B...;
Satya - Kali;
Yoni - Linga;
Brahman - Atman;
jewel - lotus;
Adam - Enosh
Tree Life - Tree Knowledge
Abel - Cain
Seth - Cain
sons God - daughters of men
Eden - Nod
angel - demon
God/YHWH - Devil/Satan
Shem - Japheth
Yhwh - El
8th day man - 6th day man
Adam - Eve
Eve - Lilith
Moses - Aaron
Abram - Lot
Isaac - Ishmael
Israel/Jacob - Esau/Edom
Moab - Ammon
Ephraim - Manasseh
Rehoboam - Jeroboam
Judah - Israel
Adam - Serpent
cupbearer - baker
Lucifer - Satan
sons of light - sons of darkness
Mosaic - Obic
David - Saul
donkey - pig
ears - eyes
Jubal - Jabal
Christ - Jesus
spirit/soul - body/flesh
3 - 1
Jn - synoptic
NT - OT
Paul - James
Jesus - John
Setian - Ophite
Shia - Sunni
Protestant - Catholic
Arminian - Calvinist
Fundamentalist - Modernist
(seed) woman - (seed) serpent
evil spirit - demon
Gibborim - Nephilim
Jerusalem - Babylon
False Prophet - Anti-Christ
Peleg - Joktan
Heaven - Hell
Heaven - Earth
Adah - Zillah
good - evil
Asshur - Nimrod
Magog - Gog
Pharisees - Saducees
Saturday - Sunday
wine/fish - bread/loaves
Michael - Apollyon
Michael - Lucifer
Jew - Gentile
Behemoth - Leviathan
Paul - Peter
James - Jude
Lazarus - Dives
[wheat] - tares
sheep - goats
rock - sand
Abe's bosom - hell
Abrahm - Brahm
Jew - Arab
Church/Xtian - Jew/Israel
(son of) God - (son of) man
wise - fool
love - lust
free - slave
Father - Son
Eve - animals
Zion - Sion
David - Solomon
Mordechai - Haman
church - family
Melchizedek - Levite
10 comms - ceremonial law
Paul - Saul
Benjamin - Benoni
Israel - Jacob
Rachel - Leah
Abraham - Abram
Samson - Delilah
Sarah - Hagar
Shem - Ham
Noah - [Nor/Nir]
Joshua - Caleb
right - left
Mary - Joseph
morning - evening
Jesus - Lucifer
cross - rose
lamb - dragon
white -black
wonderful - fearful
west-east

2:- pillars H, rivers, springs, trees Eden, seas, lands Egypt, heavens, hemispheres, eyes, cherubim ark, twins, tablets commandments?, moons Mars, edged sword, wheels, horns, beasts Rev, cities, banks river, grtest commandments, kings Sparta, consuls Rome, days wkend, months (J,F), pairs Titans, tribes Judah, witnesses, mtn(peak)s, wings, faces Janus, faces/sides moon, semesters/seasons (Israel), letters alpha-bet, feet/biped, Asvins, cross, Venus/Lucifer, binary, dioskouri, fingers, Corinthians, animals ark, wives, pyramids, Ursa.

Basically, it can be summed up as IN vs OUT which are combination of religous, racial, etc. What is also evident is that the pagan 2 lines are inverse to the biblical/Jud-Xt 2 lines which matches the non-/anti-Xtian view that Xtianity is dualism. This is also illustrated by various writers inversing the 2 lines in the bible like favouring 6th day man/elohim over 8th day man/yhwh (There are however people like BIs who mix up/switch between the pagan and xtian sides of the 2 lines.)
----
Aside from all that I detect another question in your post/s about the origin of the names Satan and Devil.  This is a more fun and interesting question. Some say Devil = Diabolus (Eblis?), others say Deva (also cp ONA on origin word 'evil'). Some say Satan/Shaitan is Set(-Hen) others Titan or Sat-Tan.
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 02:43
Arthur Robin: You are clearly a believer in God, which I think is a good thing. However in your quest to reconcile the bible to reality I think you may like to do some research on the Qur'an. It might make it a bit clearer to you on things like how God and Evolution can both exist.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 03:42
Apparently Satan does appear very early on in the Hebrew religion, but as a servant, rather than an opponent, of the Hebrew god. For instance in Job, when God judges man, Satan acts as a sort of prosecutor, testing man and accusing him before God, claiming that the man is only loyal because God makes him prosperous, and if that is removed by various hardships his loyalty would vanish.

Alot of things added on after that are of a clearly pagan origin. "Lucifer", the Light-Bearer, cast out by god, rings of Prometheus; the horns resemble various bull-headed deities such as Cerumnos; the trident, possibly Poseidon. Much of this probably stems from the desire of post-Alexandrian Jewish culture and its Christian offspring to demonize Greco-Roman culture and religion.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 04:57

The devil isn't fashionable in christianity these days, many think he's an illogical anomoly of the religion.

Are god and the devil equals in power, one controls heaven, one controls hell.

Or is the devil merely one of gods angels, in that case he and hell only exist because god wants them to and everything the devil does is god's will. So in this case there is effectively no independant devil.

Edited by Paul - 16-Jun-2006 at 04:58
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 14:51
First, I have barely a clue of what is going on here!

Second, to Paul's addition, I have heard that many times. What exactly is God's will? He allows, in His power, i.e. Lucifer, CHOICE! If what Lucifer and the rest of us by our given power of CHOICE was God's will then either free will/choice would not exist as pictured because sin would be God's own will, OR God gave us choice to do what we wish.

One is hearsay and one is logical.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 14:55
Oh, and Arthur, I don't know anything about dualism and what not, but I understand inverses and what not I believe heh!

Well all I am hearing is to inquire about the hole perspective? Sin is the absence God? Disregard if this doesn't make since or etc... : )
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 15:27
Yes there is said to be a similarity between Prometheus/Ea/etc and Satan vs Zeus/Enlil/etc and YHWH. This illustrates the inversing of 2 lines in bible I talked about above.
----
I had an interesting thought other day: In many myths flood causer and flood saviour are 2 diff gods, but in bible God was both flood sender and saved Noah/family.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 16-Jun-2006 at 15:29
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 15:37

Life is a bet between God and devil. Devil loves god more than other angels becouse:

When God created human he said to angels ''thats the best thing i ewer did you all made  sejde to him''

Only the devil did not made ''sejde'' and he said ''My God İ only sejde to you and i am better than adam, i am made of fire he is made of earth i could obey to you better than him''

And God accepted that bet. First test was apple and we couldnt pass so God send us to the world and gives us a secound chance to prove we obey him better until apocalipse.

Ewery time we made a sin devil is wining. Devil belives in God more than some of us.  

DEVİL 1-0 HUMAN 

Edited by erkut - 16-Jun-2006 at 15:40
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 23:35
The story of devil in zoroastrian avesta.

Angra Mainyu (Avestan) or Ahriman is the Evil equivalent of the deity Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism.
The name does not occur in the Old Persian inscriptions. In the Avesta he is called the twin-brother
of the Holy Spirit, and contrasted with Spenta Mainyu. He is the all-destroying Satan, the source of
all evil in the world and like Ahura Mazda, existed since the beginning of the world. Ahriman chose
evil consciously, and by this act he created death. On Judgment Day he will be defeated by Spenta Mainyu
and will disappear from the present world forever. The later sect of the Zurvanites held that both were
visible manifestations of the primeval principle zruvan akarana (infinite time).
The Zoroastrian belief in Angra Mainyu was passed onto Judeo-Christian beliefs through the concept
of Satan, the chief agent of evil. Prior to Babylonian captivity (586-538 BC), Judaism held the belief
that Satan was an agent of God and that he tested man's loyalty to God. After Cyrus the Great permitted
the Jews to return to Jerusalem, some Jewish groups came to regard Satan as God's rival and the lord of
evil.
The dualism of Zoroastrianism was a seminal influence on the Book of Revelation and on Apocalyptic literature.
Neoplatonism also references Ahriman.
Angra Mainyu is not equivalent to the Christian Satan. By contrasting Angra Mainyu with Spenta Mainyu, Zoroaster
distinguished the two poles of a particular dynamic, that of creation and destruction, which was whole within
Ahura Mazda. One can see similar sentiments in the Dravidian and later Hindu conception of Shiva.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 00:31

Originally posted by Zambezian

If what Lucifer and the rest of us by our given power of CHOICE was God's will then either free will/choice would not exist as pictured because sin would be God's own will, OR God gave us choice to do what we wish.

Rom.9:11-22
For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth. .... For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? ... Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction.

Eph.1:4-5
He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.

2 Th.2:11-12
God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 04:12
Well - in my world,  life between humans is much simpler.

Whether its God or Satan ruling, neither will do good nor evil without human intervention.

All good things (even miracles) only happens if some human(s) act in the cause of good - likewise with evil things.
We cant sit idle and wait for God to do good things - or sit idle and blame all evil to Satan.
It is us humans, who need to act - while it still is time.

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 09:12
2 Th.2:11-122
God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned.

What do you think is this "strong delusion"? Is it some sort of mind trick? A storm or tide to test a people's will? Could it have direct reference to the devil?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 10:48
what I don't get how could people believe in that betting stuff isn't God allknowing and all seeingConfused
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 23:54
God is considered all-knowing and all-seeing. But he gives us free will also. Thus either we believe in God, or fall in for the temptations of Satan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>