Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should the Assyrians get a say in the New Iraq?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AssyrianGuy7 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the Assyrians get a say in the New Iraq?
    Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 23:16
I believe Assyrians should get a say in Iraq. I am not saying it because I am Assyrian, I am saying because they have been on that land for more the 6000 years and in the last 1000 years they have gone threw many genocides because of their Christian faith. Without a say in the new Iraq Assyrians will die out.  They are the cradle of civilazation.  They have played a major role in human development.  Just because they make up around 5% of the Iraqi population doesn't mean they should get a say on land they have lived on for more then 6000 years.  The least they should get is an Adminstrative region so that they can govern themselfs and practice thier christian faith freely with our being killed. 
"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
(Isaiah 19:23-25)
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 23:19
Absolutly, Turks on Cyprus only account for about 25% of the population, (most placed there after the 1974 invasion), and demand equal say on how Cyprus should be ruled (although they are still split). Same with the kurds, only accounting for a small population in Northern Iraq and Southern Turkey.  I don't see why Assyrians can't have a say.

Edited by Christscrusader
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 23:15

Today 11/20/04, A family of 4 Assyrians(Father, Mother, 9 year old boy, 11 girl) were dragged in the streets of Iraq.  Reason why.  The 9 year old boy's cross on his neck was showing.

"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 18:16
hey Assyrianguy, btw, if you are in Iraq, aren't you restricted from any sort of internet access?
Grrr..
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:10
Why would he be?
Tons of Iraqi bloggers don't have this problem, nor do the miltant groups bgroadcast their execution videos on the net.

This should be moved to interlectual disscussions btw.
Arrrgh!!"
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 11:05
How are we restricted from any sort of internet access. we have internet
thier are no laws or groups stoping us from going on the internet. even in
saddams time we can go on the internet but alot of people dont havve
internet so its not a problem.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 13:32

In an ideal world - every citizen of Iraq should have some say in how the country is rebuilt.  There are many of us who hope that the new Iraq will be governed by people who are tolerant and that an oficial statement of freedom of religion will allow Sunni, Shiite, Jew and Christian to each practice their own religion.  Just as we hope that all minority groups will be allowed to maintain their independent customs.

The reality may be somewhat different, however, particularly for a people who have spent so long being repressed by their government.  Sadly - many times when a repressed people take power - they proceed to repress all who are not like them.  I fear that this will be the case in Iraq.    AGuy7 - what is the feeling there?  Is there hope that the old tensions will resolve?  Or is there a feeling that, once in power, the majority will again repress all minorities?  How hopeful are the Assyrian and other minority communities that the new Iraq will benefit them?

Cywr - I agree - topic could be moved to Intellectual Discussions - but there is currently no Mod on this board.  Do you want to ask Cyrus or shall I?

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 17:40

Time will tell if Iraq can stabilize itself. As long as Turkey does not do some boarder hopping and try to take some of the northern cities, or if Iran stays out, will be ok. Prehaps a Northern Kurdish state will be formed, out of Northern Iraq and of Southern Turkey.

-Jc
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 02:48

There's a reason why the Turkish army was there. The Turks accuse the Greeks of targetting Turks ethnically. The Turkish government responded by sending in troops to protect Turkish citizens (and they account for 25% of the island population which is no less significant than the Grecian 75%).

Before the Turkish army came, Greeks and Turks are living together. Now they're living separated from each other with hostilities against each other. I would say that the Greek Cypriots are largely responsible for this condition as well.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:40
And don't forget, the Greek side is the rich and prosperous one. Why should a minority get equal say government, if it is truley democratic the majority usually votes in ITs favor.  And this posting is not about Cyprus bud, go and post it somewhere else. 

-Jc
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 19:16
In an ideal world yes, probably, no. Like most powers in the middle East, the Iraqi government has to balance the needs of many powerful groups - moderate Sunnis and Shia, Fundamentatlist Sunni and Shia. But face it, the Chaldean and Assyrian Chrstians (as well as the other minority Christians) are simply too small to do anything. Much of Lebanon is quite open and free for Christians, not surprising if a quarter to a third of your population is Christian.
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 22:39

Mr Christiancrusader, you're the one that brought Cyprus up first.

Can anyone give a detailed rundown of the Assyrian population in Iraq with sources?

"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 01:20
The Assyrian cause has my full support.
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 12:05
If the Assyrians make the peaceful part.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 12:34

Nobody still knows how many Assyrians thier are in Iraq today.  The Kurds in Iraq denie Assyrians of their ethnicity. They consider the Assyrians in Iraq "Christian Kurds".  The Arabs also denie Assyrians of their ethnicity. The arabs call them "Christian Arabs".  Some sources today range from 20% of Iraq is Assyrian to 1%.  Nobody will no until the elecetions at the end of January.  Many Assyrian Villages are considered to be Kurdish villages so thier number goes toward the Kurdish population.  When the Assyrian churches are asked how many members they have (not including kids) they claim to have well over 4 million members. And yes the Assyrian are the peaceful ones, they dont blow up mosques or take muslims hostage and make them convert to christianity.

Edited by AssyrianGuy7
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 12:36
Another fact, the mojority of the the people who left iraq and are leaving it is Assyrian.  Their are more Assyrians in the United sates then thier are arabs any where outside the arab world
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 16:03

If I recall, three quarters of the 'Arab' population in America are Christians. Many of them, like yourself dont consider themselves Arabs.

Another fact, the mojority of the the people who left iraq and are leaving it is Assyrian. 

That's true of most of the Arab world. There are more Maronites than Lebanese citizens for example.

One question Assyrianguy7, do you consider the Orthodox Church of Antioch, the Maronite Orthodox Church or the Syrian Catholic Church Assyrian as well? As far as I know, they all have Syriac/Aramiac as their liturgical language.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 11:11
Yes i do consider them all assyrian. Because only assyrians speak Syriac/Aramiac.  Thier is also another big church that you forgot it is the Chaldean Catholic church. They too are Assyrians who speak Syriac/Aramiac but most of them consider them selfs Arabs. They are very large in number in Michigan. Many people consider the Orthodox church of Antioch an Arab Christian church, but if you ask them what they are they say Syriac or Jacobites.  One question i have for people who believe it is an arab church.  If they were in Arab church would they not speak Arabic in their churchs instead of Syriac-Aramiac?
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 12:15
The Assyrians/Chaldeans/Syriacs are an Aramaic/Syriac speaking people, known in post-Saddam Iraq by the official name Chaldo-Assyrians, who were one of the first peoples to convert to Christianity. They still speak Aramaic/Syriac, the language spoken by Jesus.

They are members of the Chaldean Catholic Church, Assyrian Church of the East, Syriac Orthodox or Syriac Catholic Churches, these refugees from Iraq, Turkey, Syria or Iran claim to be descendants of the peoples of ancient Mesopotamia. They were the first to evangelise China and Mongolia during the Golden Age of the Arabic Empire. In 1915, together with the Armenians, they were victims of a genocide and many fled to Australia, Europe and the United States.

There are still more than 700,000 Assyrians/Chaldeans/Syriacs in Iraq today and the Assyrian Democratic Movement, one of their political organizations, is working to help to maintain their culture. Nowadays they are threatened by Islamic extremists, and in fleeing toward Western countries they run the risk of loosing the culture and traditions that they have managed to preserve until now. They are asking today for a small Administrative Area in Northern Iraq where they can be free to pray and govern themselfs.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 13:43
The flag of Assyria in your avatar has been designed by George Bit Atanus, he lives in Tehran and his son is one of the best friend of my brother, he is a very richman and has a very big house in the Fereshteh street in the north of Tehran!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>