Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Late Byzantine Military (1204-1461)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Late Byzantine Military (1204-1461)
    Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 13:51
Arithmos was initially corps of the imperial guards. Theophanes mentions during 791/792 that Empress Irene sent the 'Droungarios of Bigla' Alexios Mouzelis to suppress the rebels of the Theme of Anatolia.

Until 11th c. The body of 'Arithmos' resided in the covered hippodrome of the Grand Palace with intent, the protection of the Imperial Palace in peace time and the Imperial tent in war time or campaign. During early 11th c. 'Arithmos' must have been placed among the regular army.

Edited by Perseas - 16-Aug-2006 at 14:04
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Datuna View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 13:53
For this time Georgian military stayed there in the castles of trebizond....After deviding georgia into several kingdoms georgia lost all controls on it and only preciselly declined economic relations remained. Non of georgian kingdoms could support trebizund except ''Samtskhe" which was captured by turks and stayed under their boardership.
 (BTW that maps are wrong....about georgian kingdoms, as u see there is a georgia but georgia is a name of whole georgian kingdoms and that georgia on the map is a region called ''Kartli'')
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 14:47
I do not think those maps are wrong. They are gathered with ultimate preciseness for the exact date of the beginning of that year. Things that might have happened one year before or after do not affect the map.

Sorry, Byzantine Emperor. I was not able to post anything about your discussions of the navy and I will try to remain doing so, for although I do know something about the navy, the knowledge is minor compared to everytihng else I know and therefore it is better if I do not pose any probably wrong statements.

Still, I would liek to inspect the navy from it's military aspects and ask where were the home ports of the navy? Where did it mainly live ('live' is an interesting word for navies...)?

I doubt it was in Constantinople, but where else? Alexandria, Chersenosus, Thessalonike, Haifa, Beirut, Tyre would be my five cents but I do not believe the correct answer would be any of these. Although a small part resided (another interesting word for navies) at Cyprus.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 05:36
The Early Byzantine Military topic has been created.

Please, let us continue the Early discussion (about the themataa and tagmata; navies) there.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 15:21

Originally posted by Datuna

In the begining of 13th century trebizond was conquered by georgian queen ''Tamar" who named it as empire setting there her close relative alexy comnenos as a king. Before that georgia encluded the whole region of south caucasus, north tribes were giving tribute so Georgia needed a strong gate through the region from the west, that kingdom was trebizond

which was under georgian enfluence for over a century. During this time it blossomed just like other regions of Georgia and our relations became vital to both of us.

I have read that members of the late Trapezuntine nobility had ties with Georgia and were even Georgian or Greco-Georgian in descent. 

So Trebizond was actually conquered at this late a date by Tamar?  How deeply did Georgian language and customs take root in Trebizond?  Or did the Hellenic civilization of Trebizond influence the Georgian conquerors?

Originally posted by Datuna

For this time Georgian military stayed there in the castles of trebizond....After deviding georgia into several kingdoms georgia lost all controls on it and only preciselly declined economic relations remained. Non of georgian kingdoms could support trebizund except ''Samtskhe" which was captured by turks and stayed under their boardership.

Do you know under what circumstances the Georgian soldiers occupied the castles?  In the late period pronoia was granted to soldiers with the obligation of guard and garrison service in kastrons (forts).  It would be interesting to see if the Grand Komnenoi granted pronoia to them for this reason.

Datuna, do you know if there were any Georgian mercenaries in Trebizond during the 15th century?  I would like to know what type of soldiers they were.  It would also be informative to know if they were present at the siege of Trebizond and Sinope in 1461.

Service as mercenaries was a lucrative occupation so perhaps this Samtskhe you spoke of was able to provide soldiers in the 15th century.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 17-Aug-2006 at 15:24
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 16:37
It would be very interesting to know, if the Byzantine Empire ever tried to weaken Trapexuntine relations to Georgia in order to get ahold of Trebizond.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 02:57
We can still continue the discussion of Trebizond in the 14th and 15th centuries.  This actually what I am concentrated on doing at the moment, so expect more to come.

However, BlindOne posted some informative comments in my Byzantine Metalworking topic that I thought should ultimately be in here.

The context of the discussion was factors limiting the creation of a native Byzantine army in the 14th and 15th centuries, and the Byzantines' lack of a Crusading or Jihad ideal.

Here are BlindOne's and my posts.  Please reply to them if you would like.

Originally posted by BlindOne

I am talking about native troops. Byzantines had lost their native army in the Katakouzian civil war in the 14 century. After the end of that civil war the native soldiers almost extinguised from the army. Also by that time the Byzantine's couldn't affort to hire much mercenaries due to limited funacials.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I am sure there was great loss of life during the civil wars; however, both sides called in the aid of foreign mercenaries.  John Kantakouzenos actually preferred Turks over native soldiers and foreigners close to the Byzantines (Serbs, Bulgarians, etc.).  So I am not convinced that native manpower was "extinguished" by severe loss of life in battle.  The Black Plague probably killed many more in the 14th century than the Civil Wars did.  In the end it was probably a combination of plague and Byzantine loss of control over certain territories.

I agree with you about limited funds.  Certainly the emperors were strapped for cash, which was used to pay mercenaries.  This is why the pronoia system developed.  So the emperors had something with which to pay native soldiers (tax-collecting rights and outright grants of land), but they had a limited manpower base from which to draw.

But i am talking here about the teaches they made to the population. By that time the priest was teaching that war is a crime and those who died in combat have maded sins. It is the opposite the Pope teach ( that killing an iffindel is not a sin).Today that is hearing to our ears as nice but it was catastrophical then. By the time that the Byzantine army was in the edge of dissapear the young population of the empire prefare to become monks rather soldier, and we all know that the power of an army comes from it native troops, mercanaries are always unrealiable.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Yes, indeed the Byzantine view of warfare was quite different than that of the Latins and the Muslims.  Their view of warfare was that it was pretty much a "necessary evil" and killing should be avoided at all costs.  The one instance where an emperor tried to establish remission of sins for soldiers who died in battle (i.e. crusade/jihad), the patriarch vehemently opposed it and refused to go along with the demand. 

However, did the Byzantines not acknowledge in the late period that they were in dire straits and that they needed to bolster their defenses?  I guess the more worldly ones did and fought for their lives.  But as you have suggested, many Byzantines acted in typically "Byzantine" fashion at this time, with one foot in the spiritual world and the other in the temporal, only now both feet were pretty much in the spiritual and they turned to the Church in the form of taking monastic vows and donating property.  Thus the Orthodox Church lived on after most the old Byzantine state was demolished.

Although i agree with you that the manpower did exist there was many factors that didn't allow the Byzantine emperor to create a native profetional army as it was in the past.

Until now i have mentioned the civil wars the limited funds and the Church teaches (for the last i will still mention some thinks).

Some others problems that i forgot to mention in my previous post was the following:
 a) After the 4th crusade the Byzantines lost their union. They wasn't the one big and powerfull empire of the past. Four states have been created The empire of Nicea, of Trapezounta, of Eperus and of Peloponisus. from them only the Peloponisus and Nicea manage to unite again. In the lands that once belonged to the Empire now there was others too. Latins, Serbs, Bulgarians and Turks in the East.
b) The "underworld Battle" that raged in the Byzantine society. I mean the fight between the Church and the Official  goverment (the Emperor). Many Emperors in their effort to gain help from the west they accepted to accept the Pope was the prime ruler of the Church. That make the Patriarchs really furius .

So i claim that the Byzantine native army was extinguished ( well i should had better sayed redused by a huge level) for the follow reasons:
a) Civil war
b)Plague
c) The non existance of crusade spirit
d) The empire was divided and didn't have access to the people that lived in lands that have been occupited by the Latins, Serbs, Bulgarians, turks and other Byzantine (hellenic) statement (eperus for example) that was hostile to the Empire of Nicea.
e) The "civil" war between the church and the Emperors (well some of them).

Hm i want to mention that still the Greek church believe that the last emperor was a heretic and an enemy of her, that's why he haven't become a Saint (although he is really well accepted by the modern greeks).

Well perhaps Plethon was right, but then it was too late..

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 03:14

a) After the 4th crusade the Byzantines lost their union. They wasn't the one big and powerfull empire of the past. Four states have been created The empire of Nicea, of Trapezounta, of Eperus and of Peloponisus. from them only the Peloponisus and Nicea manage to unite again. In the lands that once belonged to the Empire now there was others too. Latins, Serbs, Bulgarians and Turks in the East.

It is good that you mention Trebizond and the Morea (Peloponnesos).  In your opinion, should we consider both Trebizond and the Morea regional states in the late period, even after the rivalries that were created in the form of splinter states had dissipated?

I think Trebizond was a separate political entity by and large, in the 14th and 15th centuries.  It had its own monarchy (Grand Komnenoi) and its own military.  Now it was still modeled off of the Byzantine imperial and military institutitions, but was no longer tied to Constantinople.  Sinope and Trebizond became the kingdom's chief cities.

The Morea is a bit different.  It had its own nobility and seems to have clung on to Frankish feudalism.  But the later Palaiologoi came from here and maintained a connection between it and Constantinople.  Manuel II, John VIII, and Constantine XI all made trips to the Morea after they became emperor.  What about the Morea's military?  Was it self-contained and regional, or could it have assisted Constantinople if the need arose?  These are possible questions we could address after we finish with Trebizond.

b) The "underworld Battle" that raged in the Byzantine society. I mean the fight between the Church and the Official  goverment (the Emperor). Many Emperors in their effort to gain help from the west they accepted to accept the Pope was the prime ruler of the Church. That make the Patriarchs really furius .

I agree.  The Byzantine populace and a good part of the clergy became very obstinant and hostile towards the government at a crucial time when unity was needed.

So i claim that the Byzantine native army was extinguished ( well i should had better sayed redused by a huge level)

So what was left?  Was there just the occasional guards and city police in Thessalonika, Mystras, Sinope, and Constantinople?  Or, perhaps, were there regional armies or citizen militias, since Byzantium had become decentralized and fragmented into the late 14th and 15th centuries?

Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 23:58
As far as the sources indicate, the Georgians did not conquer Trebizond. But as mercenaries/allies under the BYZANTINE leadership of Andronicus' grandsons David and Alexius they did. The fact that Georgian cultural and political influence was negligible and not as penetrative means that the Trapezuntines was just a splinter Byzantine microcosm and not so much a state establshed by Georgians as previously claimed. Moreover, the Trapezuntines were vassals of other powers like the Mongols and Turks who did indeed have a great influence on them in terms of their military equipment and apparel and but not so much by Georgian military norms.

I'd say that despite their proximity to each other and their blood relations, they werent exactly "close".

Edited by Nestorian - 25-Aug-2006 at 06:27
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 06:26

Can anyone help me secure a secondhand copy of

"Sowing Dragon's teeth" by Eric McGeer and its translation of the military treatises by Nikephoros Phokas and Ouranos??

The ones at Amazon are too freaking extortionately expensive.
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 17:08
Nestorian, thanks for replying about Trebizond and Georgia.  It seems that Trebizond's later history was strongly linked to that of the kingdom of Georgia and to the Turkmen tribes.  I am reading and investigating Trebizond more in my brief two week hiatus from school.  I will post the interesting things concerning the Trapezuntine army when I have the chance.

Originally posted by Nestorian

Can anyone help me secure a secondhand copy of

"Sowing Dragon's teeth" by Eric McGeer and its translation of the military treatises by Nikephoros Phokas and Ouranos??

The ones at Amazon are too freaking extortionately expensive.

It would be difficult to secure a second-hand copy of this book. I doubt used textbook stores would have it since professors probably do not use it for classes.

Do you have access to a university library or interlibrary loan services?  This would definitely be the best route to go if you do.

I bought my copy straight from Dumbarton Oaks press, which you can also do through their website.  I think it was $35-40 American dollars.  This is a good price considering the book is a scholarly monograph and a translation of a military treatise.

Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 03:24
its out of print at dumbarton oaks :(, I'm waiting for their "bookstore" to open. There may be a small chance of securing a copy.

Tell me, how good is the Praecepta Militaria for middle period Byzantine units?

A person on one of the gaming forums tried the MTW2 demo and talked with one of the marketing directors of CA who had good things to say about the "total realism" team which I am a member of Big smile so happy!! Just confirming it now.

Edited by Nestorian - 26-Aug-2006 at 03:32
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 03:33
Originally posted by Nestorian

its out of print at dumbarton oaks :(, I'm waiting for their "bookstore" to open. There may be a small chance of securing a copy.

Tell me, how good is the Praecepta Militaria for middle period Byzantine units?

Wow, really?  This is strange since it is a fairly new book.  What a shame!

McGeer's translation and diagraming of the Praecepta Militaria is quite good.  It is especially good for descriptions of the heavy infantry and the kataphraktoi cavalry. 

You should get George Dennis' Three Byzantine Military Treatises, also published by Dumbarton OaksIt has the Greek and his English translation of the three treatises.  They are good for info on skirmishing and sieges.  He also translated Maurice's strategikon, which is published by UPenn and should be readily available.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 00:38
i dont know much about BYzantine military but i guess they suck becouse they've lost every war they fought with Seljuks and Ottomans although they were always superior in numbers!!
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 04:35
Originally posted by Batu

i dont know much about BYzantine military but i guess they suck becouse they've lost every war they fought with Seljuks and Ottomans although they were always superior in numbers!!

Hey Batu i have a new Avatar for you:

If you don't now much ( i doupt if you know anythink) then don't bother to post.
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 05:18
That statement makes me laugh. What about the successful counter attacks against Bulgarians, Seljuqs, Turks and whoever else, Latins being another example. Why do you think they were always superior in numbers? Especially in 1453 I presume.

Very well, I back the BlindOne, if you don't know anything, nor pose interesting questions: do not post.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 09:02

Matter of tactics rather than "sucking"...

Byzantine Empire seemed generally never really successful against mounted armies...From Adrianople 378 to Malazgirt(Manzikert) 1071...

Even though they had Kataphraktoi and managed to change their army system from plain legions after a certain time, this time they couldn't manage to battle with cavalry archers and pacey light cavalries...

Rider, the superiority in numbers matter is not about 1453, it is rather told for 1071 Manzikert and 1176 Myriokephalon(Around today's Konya,that time's Iconium)...Which is a true aspect,though.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:35
Well, Myrokephalion was a defeat mostly due to the idiocy of the Emperor.
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 23:11

The decisive battles lost to the Seljuks distorts the Byzantine ability to respond to light cavalry archer attacks. 2 decisive battles only show us 2 decisive battles but not the overall picture of how Byzantium fares against such armies. Byzantium has tactics against such armies and when followed correctly, usually results in a good result.

Let's just analyse Manzikert and Myriocephalon

Manzikert: The disintegration of the Byzantine army came before the Seljuks even attacked the main body of the army. Treachery and the inexperience of the army led to the belief that the Emperor was dead. Nothing disintegrates an army quicker than the idea of the leader's death.

This is not to discredit the Seljuks in anyway, they did the right thing by taking advantage of the situation as it presented itself.

Myriocephalon:

The Emperor Manuel was ambushed in mountainous terrain not on a pitched battle on a plain against horse archers. THis battle does not show how Byzantine military tactics would fare against horse archers but rather how a easily one can get ambushed by lack of precautions by using scouts, etc, etc.

Again, this is not discredit or decrease the value of the victory, but it does not exactly show the superiority of horse archers over the Byzantine army. We must look at the specifics and conditions of each battle and in each battle, the scenario to pit nomadic horse archery against Byzantine tactics is simply not there.

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 02:24
Throughout history the Light vs Heavy cavalry has been swinging back and foward with effectiveness .

Historians sometimes argue that larger grain feed horses with superior armour are superior to nomadic armies.
But other times they state that the mobility of nomadic armies is superior to the Clumsy slow heavily armoured knights of the Sedentry armies.

Great examples would include battle of Lechfeld and Doryleum where heavier armoured knights defeated lightly armoured cavalry.
But then theres great examples of Leignizt and Mohi and Manzikert defeating the slower cavalry of west.

In middle east we have the Hephalite defeating the Sassanid kings,but then the superior armoured cavalry of Bahrim Chobin defeating the Turks because of their superior armour.

East we have Tang reducing armour to combat steppe tribes, Jin defeating mongols  10-1 the number of Steppe warriors with heavy armour.Mongols defeating the Jin(yes the Same jin) who outnumbered the mongols 3-1 .

So in conclusion i think its a combinations of many factors Leadership Supply, numbers and most importantly Terrain there fighting on.Also the Combined arms tactics were crucial in Sedentry armies defeating Nomadic.
Alexander,Crusaders and the Chinese dyasties proved that by pinning the nomad with infantry and flanking with cavalry can win.

Edited by BigL - 01-Sep-2006 at 02:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>