Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Late Byzantine Military (1204-1461)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Late Byzantine Military (1204-1461)
    Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 19:53
Originally posted by CPWN

It was made by metal,leather and rivet. The scale also could be hardened leather,but all leather armour usually used by cavalry or light infantry.

This kind armour wasn't only scale type. It had lamellar,too...etc......
(I'll try to find some pics out)

Yes, I knew that east Asians wore lamellar armor.  As I understand it, the Chinese during the period you mentioned outfitted their infantry with it.  Some statues from the period show infantry armed with something that looks like a halberd (I think), wearing sophisticated metal lamellar.  Our good friend Preobrazhenskoe, who posts a lot on Asian artwork, pointed this out to me.

CPWN, what do you think about the piece of supposed plate armor on the chest of the Byzantine saint?  Do you think there are any connections to Mongol armor?  Please post any pictures you might have like the one I describe seeing in a Persian or Chinese manuscript.

Originally posted by BigL

Shan wen kia, or "mountain pattern armour" was worn by high ranking officers in China from at least the Tang (618-907) through the Ming (1368-1644) dynasties.

Thanks BigL.  It is interesting to see the name that was given to this kind of armor.  Before you brought this up, I had never heard of this "star" scale patter before.  It looks like it would work very well in deflecting missiles and slash attacks.

Originally posted by unicorn

Back on the forum after a break

Glad you are back!  I was hoping that you would return, since we seem to be losing interested forummers every day.

Originally posted by unicorn

(...)but also because Byzantine army (once the themata system was working worse and finally became quite unfunctional) was relying in the late Byzance on mercenary forces, so that it is reckonable that some overlapping of armor style occurred between Greeks and other troops(...)Even before that Crusaders came back and forth, I doubt that this had left the equipment system of the Byzantines unchanged. I am not sure if the reform was not slown down by higher costs of western style equipment, which the collapsing empire could actually not anylonger afford.

I agree with all that you have said here.  There was almost certainly 'overlap' and foreign influence that crept into the design of military equipment as Byzantium encountered different peoples in battle and in diplomatic relations.  The Crusades can be considered a period of great cross-cultural contact, both in the social and military environments.  But my question still remains: did the Byzantines produce their own arms and armor in the late period, to at least equip the native troops?  The rising cost of Western arms (as you pointed out), and the fact that the Byzantines still had control over certain mines from which to extract the materials seems to indicate that they did.

unicorn, do you have any thoughts on the armor of Merkourios in the fresco painted by Panselinos (see above).

CPWN View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote CPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 03:03
K. The answer is here.

Looks like chain mail or small scale inside. Quite interesting.Smile

By the way,I'm confused with paramonai.

Someone tell me that is late varangian guard,really?

Why they call paramonai? Palace guard? Or about paramerion?

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Yes, I knew that east Asians wore lamellar armor.  As I understand it, the Chinese during the period you mentioned outfitted their infantry with it.  Some statues from the period show infantry armed with something that looks like a halberd (I think), wearing sophisticated metal lamellar.  Our good friend Preobrazhenskoe, who posts a lot on Asian artwork, pointed this out to me.

CPWN, what do you think about the piece of supposed plate armor on the chest of the Byzantine saint?  Do you think there are any connections to Mongol armor?  Please post any pictures you might have like the one I describe seeing in a Persian or Chinese manuscript.

Spear is the most important weapon in Traditional Chinese army.There are two different basic type.(different period spearhead)

early

Then...after three kingdom period.....

The real halberd in chinese warfare is.....↓

One blade halberd in chinese is the same name with one blade sword.(usually call large or Long one blade sword).

Edited by CPWN - 06-Nov-2006 at 03:49
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 03:57

Looks like chain mail inside. Quite interesting.

Yes, that is a cool picture.  I have the Osprey volume that has it in it.  My avatar comes from the plate with the kataphraktos in that same volume.

The Osprey picture was inspired by the first fresco of Merkourios that I posted (painted in 1295 at Ochrid), where he is wearing the kazaka, i.e. the epilorikon with a chain mail lining, as you have indicated.  We figured out that this was probably of Persian, Arab, or possibly Slavic origin, both in terminology and in function.  But nevertheless, thanks for commenting on it!

Since you are very knowledgable in East Asian militaria, I was asking about the second fresco, one also of Merkourios though painted by Panselinos in the 14th century at Mt. Athos, in which he is wearing different armor that appears to be influenced by Mongol armor.  Sorry, I should have been more specific! Big smile  Anyways, here is the correct fresco, followed by an isolated shot of the piece of armor I am talking about:

It is the copper, metalic colored piece on his chest, with the jagged edges and what looks like an embossing in the center.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 06-Nov-2006 at 04:06
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 04:03
Here is a Tang Dynasty Armour like chest plates and such .There was also a version with Chainmail and plate used more by the ming and Qing  dynasty

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 04:06
Here we have a Round chest plate

user posted image
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 04:08
heres wat looks like a combination of star scale armour with plate chest
img28/1484/dsc000555yx.jpg
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 13:06

I was in the local public library of Veroia, searching for some villages of the region. In a book I found pictures of saints of a local byzantine church.

What was notable was that one saint held a mace. (This comment is for what you were discussing above that no saints are holding weapons like maces and axes)

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
CPWN View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote CPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 22:51

Looks like chain mail inside. Quite interesting.

Yes, that is a cool picture.  I have the Osprey volume that has it in it.  My avatar comes from the plate with the kataphraktos in that same volume.

The Osprey picture was inspired by the first fresco of Merkourios that I posted (painted in 1295 at Ochrid), where he is wearing the kazaka, i.e. the epilorikon with a chain mail lining, as you have indicated.  We figured out that this was probably of Persian, Arab, or possibly Slavic origin, both in terminology and in function.  But nevertheless, thanks for commenting on it!

Since you are very knowledgable in East Asian militaria, I was asking about the second fresco, one also of Merkourios though painted by Panselinos in the 14th century at Mt. Athos, in which he is wearing different armor that appears to be influenced by Mongol armor.  Sorry, I should have been more specific! Big smile  Anyways, here is the correct fresco, followed by an isolated shot of the piece of armor I am talking about:

It is the copper, metalic colored piece on his chest, with the jagged edges and what looks like an embossing in the center.

So sorry. I make a mistake.(Poor English Dead)

hmm...the chest armor you mention about  seems like never appear in chinese or mongol.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 16:30

heres wat looks like a combination of star scale armour with plate chest

This looks the most similar to what I have been talking about concerning Asian artwork.  The top part on his chest is especially similar.  The manuscript illumination showed a part like this on the cavalryman's chest and upper back.

Here I am putting two detailed shots of first the Byzantine and then the Asian armor that BigL provided:

Notice the embossings on the plate and the shoulder pieces in both pictures.

Originally posted by xristar

I was in the local public library of Veroia, searching for some villages of the region. In a book I found pictures of saints of a local byzantine church.

What was notable was that one saint held a mace. (This comment is for what you were discussing above that no saints are holding weapons like maces and axes)

Please show us if you can!  I would like to see pictures if you can get them.

CPWN, thanks for the other diagrams.  What do you think of the comparison between the two details I posted above?

In the meantime, I will try to get a scan of the manuscript illustration and post it

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 08-Nov-2006 at 17:29
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 17:19
Preobrazhenskoe picture of armour looks fake, like a hallowenn costume
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 17:24

Preobrazhenskoe picture of armour looks fake, like a hallowenn costume

Thanks for identifying it as such.  I'll remove it then!  I guess that's the problem with recreation of ancient armor, either it is for real historical research or for Halloween! LOL

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 13:20
Chinese armor is interesting ,but let's come back to Byzantine Smile

I ll try posting pics of my personal archive.

I should apologize for the quality of some of the pictures,but some where taken under not ideal conditions.

St.Artemios. /St.Nikolaos Orphanos -Thessaloniki/Greece -1310/1320.

The saint wears metal "pteryges" ,the "unidintified " cuirass which Mercurius wore in the prev pic, a "peritrachilion" round his neck ,and holds a huge triangular shield.
On his spear can be seen a "flamulon" - the small triangular flag,with a cross on it.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 19:42
Hm, interesting. Is there a separation between the pterugai and the main body? It looks like a separate piece that was strapped around the waist,  very different from the leather pterugai that are usually attached to the klivanio. I may be extrapolating far too wide, but I'm guessing that this would be too expensive to produce as standard equipment. Could this then be a depiction of a higher officer and not be the way your average 14th c. Byzantine cavalryman looked like?

Edited by konstantinius - 09-Nov-2006 at 19:55
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
unicorn View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 20:23
< id="kpfLog" ="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload="destroy(this)" style="display: none;">
At corpus non terminatur cogitatione, nec cogitatio corpore (Spinoza, Etica)
unicorn View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 20:27
@Bizantine Emperor : star scales is something I do not have info about, but Merkourios' armour as depicted
there might be a stylized version of the plumata. Plumata was a small scale armour worn usually less for the
sake of protection but for elegance and parade purposes. Standard bearers in Roman army are usually wearing
squamata whilst some officers are occasionally represented wearing plumata.

>Is there a separation between the pterugai and the main body?

Pterugai were actually attached to the subarmalis if I am not mistaking. Subarmalis was the roman equivalent of
the gambeson and had symmilar purposes : protecting the body from shocks which otherwise could do harm
even if the armour was not pierced, preventing pieces of disrupted metal to penetrate into the body should the
armor having been breached and of course preventing the armor itself to tear the clothes and eventually the skin
of the wearer.

At corpus non terminatur cogitatione, nec cogitatio corpore (Spinoza, Etica)
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 00:33
Hey im really enjoying this Byzantine artworks
Can someone Start an Indpendent thread on Art works by the Byzantine Empire ,that would be great
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 05:10

St.Theodor / St.Nikolaos Orphanos -Thessaloniki-1310/20

CPWN View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote CPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 00:59

CPWN, thanks for the other diagrams.  What do you think of the comparison between the two details I posted above?

In the meantime, I will try to get a scan of the manuscript illustration and post it

This one is a simple plate cuirass. The plate looks like mirror. So it called chest protecting mirror in Chinese.

In my opinion, they are still different.

Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 03:28

A discussion before months...a Saint with a mace!
St.Demetrios.
Icon -now in Belgrade museum (the inscription though in Greek)-end of 14th-beginning of 15th century.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 17:56
Originally posted by Brainstorm

A discussion before months...a Saint with a mace!
St.Demetrios.
Icon -now in Belgrade museum (the inscription though in Greek)-end of 14th-beginning of 15th century.

Very nice, Brainstorm!  Now I have seen a warrior saint equipped with a mace.  It has a curiously long handle too.  Definitely a two-hander.

So this was originally Greek in provenance?  The darker coloring and reds looks like what is seen in many Russian icons.

Let's discuss the rest of his panoply.  His cuirass looks like a leather klibanion, with harness.  The sword is interesting.  Its handle almost makes it look like a two-handed sword.  The serpentine belt-ties on the scabbard seems to be a sylistic convention that appears frequently.

Now the shield.  It is a large, triangular convex shield.  This type of shield is found in some other depictions, but not as often as circular ones or kite shields.  It reminds me of the Western European pavise shields (usually wooden), which were used by arquebusiers, crossbowmen, and artillery crews to shield them while they reloaded.  The existence of such a large, seemingly metallic, shields in Byzantium might be evidence that the Byzantines were not making full-body plate armor in the late period.  Such shields, at least for cavalry, were being phased out in the West because of the advances in plate armor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>