Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Countries" were neither colonized nor colonizer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Countries" were neither colonized nor colonizer?
    Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 04:34
Originally posted by Bulldog

Well Ottomans andPersianswere not necessarily colonisers however, the Greeks? Romans? Byzantines? surely you can't be serious, there are countless Greek colonies and as for Russia you surely must be joking.

Can you give some examples?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 07:00

Kırım

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 07:55
Originally posted by barish

It didn't used to exist until hmm... the age of colonization.

It surely existed in antiquity. Greek colonies existed in North Africa, Crimea, Souterh Italy, etc...

It is done for free basic materials and cheap labour force.

Slavery was very common in antiquity. Barbarians from the colonized territories were taken as slaves. It wasnt simply a cheap labor force, it was for free.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 08:07

The people who were conquered by Ottomans were not second class citizens.

On the contrary, Christians were considered second class subjects in the Ottoman empire. The justice system was heavily titled towards the Muslims, and Christians could hardly ever win cases in courts against Muslims. Also Christians had to pay heavier taxes than Muslims. The Empire never encouraged equality between its subjects, instead it invented this "millet" system of seggregation. By not encouraging integration of the ordinary Christians into the structures of the Empire, the Empire chose to keep them isolated in these different millet units.

The reforms in the Empire that was to finally bring equality between the Christians and Muslims in 1876(?) achieved too little too late  for the empire was already beginning to disintegrate.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 08:24
Originally posted by bg_turk

On the contrary, Christians were considered second class subjects in the Ottoman empire. The justice system was heavily titled towards the Muslims, and Christians could hardly ever win cases in courts against Muslims. Also Christians had to pay heavier taxes than Muslims. The Empire never encouraged equality between its subjects, instead it invented this "millet" system of seggregation. By not encouraging integration of the ordinary Christians into the structures of the Empire, the Empire chose to keep them isolated in these different millet units.

The reforms in the Empire that was to finally bring equality between the Christians and Muslims in 1876(?) achieved too little too late  for the empire was already beginning to disintegrate.

Very astute observations. Though discriminatory policies differ in practice and scope, sadly enough they have been a part of every major power at one time or another. Unhappy

-Akolouthos
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 03:01
Originally posted by bg_turk

On the contrary, Christians were considered second class subjects in the Ottoman empire. The justice system was heavily titled towards the Muslims, and Christians could hardly ever win cases in courts against Muslims. Also Christians had to pay heavier taxes than Muslims. The Empire never encouraged equality between its subjects, instead it invented this "millet" system of seggregation. By not encouraging integration of the ordinary Christians into the structures of the Empire, the Empire chose to keep them isolated in these different millet units.The reforms in the Empire that was to finally bring equality between the Christians and Muslims in 1876(?) achieved too little too late for the empire was already beginning to disintegrate.

Those are just formalities.

In Istanbul most rich merchants, landowners were either Rum or Jew, while Turks were just farmers or soldiers.

That's definitely different from the British Empire, right?

Plus only distinction was made through religion.

If the conquered person was a muslim, he was considered as an ordinary Ottoman citizen.

Edited by barish - 23-Jun-2006 at 03:04
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 04:29
I am sure not all of non-muslims were merchants, and I  am sure not all muslims were peasant.

Compare muslims  peasents, with non-muslim peasents.   I agree with bg, Christians were considered second class subjects in the Ottoman empire.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by Mortaza

I agree with bg, Christians were considered second class subjects in the Ottoman empire.

Officially? Yes. Unofficially? I don't think so.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 05:26

In Istanbul most rich merchants, landowners were either Rum or Jew, while Turks were just farmers or soldiers.

That's definitely different from the British Empire, right?

Not so different from the situation in India, where the rich landowners and merchants were mostly Hindus/Muslims/Sikhs/Parsees. Most of the army was also not British, no?

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Jun-2006 at 05:27
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 05:44
Originally posted by gcle2003

Not so different from the situation in India, where the rich landowners and merchantsweremostly Hindus/Muslims/Sikhs/Parsees. Most of the army was also not British, no?

I see, and how about London?

That would be a more appropriate comparison.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 13:49

Not so different from the situation in India, where the rich landowners and merchants were mostly Hindus/Muslims/Sikhs/Parsees. Most of the army was also not British, no?

I see, and how about London?

That would be a more appropriate comparison.

You mean London as an example of Anglo-Saxon colonisation of Britain? to be honest I don't know enough about the period.

The same goes for London as an example of Roman colonisation of Britain. With regard to the Norman colonisation of Britain, I think most rich Saxon merchants and property holders kept their possessions. The Normans weren't terribly into trade.

And of course there were quite a few foreign merchants happily plying their business in London at the time, notably from Flanders.

Much the same is again true of Beijing after Mongol and Manchu colonisation, no?
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 20:44
No, you misunderstood.

Istanbul was the capital of Ottoman Empire. Trade was under the control of the "collonized" people.

And I ask; were there any foreign people who had any type of power in the capital city of British Empire?

Edited by barish - 23-Jun-2006 at 20:45
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 06:10

No, you misunderstood.

Istanbul was the capital of Ottoman Empire. Trade was under the control of the "collonized" people.

And I ask; were there any foreign people who had any type of power in the capital city of British Empire? 

But the people who you are pointing out had economic power in Istanbul were not foreign. They were native. They therefore compare directly with Saxons under Norman rule, and so on.

There were plenty of foreign people (i.e. with origins outside England) who achieved power in London: the Duke of Wellington and Disraeli are obvious examples that stand out in the political field: the Rothschilds stand out in the economic field.

How many foreign-origin powerful people in Istanbul compare with those?

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 08:24

But the people who you are pointing out had economic power in Istanbul were not foreign. They were native.

Not all of them.

Countless. There were generals, bureaucrats, merchants, religious leaders...

Racially, even emperors were not Turkic.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 09:39

Countless. There were generals, bureaucrats, merchants, religious leaders...
Where did they come from?

Racially, even emperors were not Turkic.

That's new to me, but I wouldn't claim to know. I always assumed the Ottoman Emperors were Ottomans. Why did they call themselves Ottomans? Or didn't they - is it just what foreigners called them?

How much of, say, Edward VII's heritage do you think was English or British?
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 12:32

Where did they come from?

From the conquered provinces of the empire.

Some of them may have been natives of Istanbul as you said though.

That's new to me, but I wouldn't claim to know. I always assumed the Ottoman Emperors were Ottomans. Why did they call themselves Ottomans? Or didn't they - is it just what foreigners called them?

"Ottoman" comes from Osman, the founder of the empire.

It was the name of the ruling family, which became a religious identity later on.

I am not sure. He may not be pure blood English.

But when compared to Ottoman rulers, I don't think he is that "mixed".

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 06:49

I am not sure. He may not be pure blood English.

But when compared to Ottoman rulers, I don't think he is that mixed.
    [/QUOTE

If you take his sixty-two ancestors up to his great-great-great-grandparents only three were born in Britain.

If you take his sixty-two ancestors up to his great-great-great-grandparents only three were born in Britain.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 14:04
Well, that may be so, but this situation is rather irrelevant, isn't it?

I mean since Britain didn't conquer his homeland, it doesn't matter if he is of German origin or something like that.

AFG-PaShTuN View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AFG-PaShTuN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 07:35
Afghanistan, never a colony, nor colonized any country.
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 17:36
Wasn't Bahrein like a colony of Iran? and isn't Abu musa still a colony?
Iran parast
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>