Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Religion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stark View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion
    Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:10

Just been wondering about something, and it is about Religion. Are there any cultures that never had a Religion, or that didn't follow any god(s)?

Winter Comes But We Do Not Sleep.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:29
Depends on who you ask. There are definitely cultures that haven't followed a "god" as we traditionally think of "god" (universal and monotheistic). However, I think you would find that in every culture there has been some extra-natural spiritual dimension.

-Akolouthos
Stark View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:35
Yeah I kinda figured it would be unlikely, but I didn't know, and wanted to find out. It would nice to see how a cultire would turn out if it didn't have any 'extra-natural spiritual dimension'.
Winter Comes But We Do Not Sleep.
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 01:37
nordic countries in our days are close to "don't follow any god"
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 11:43

Albanian people are very agnostic, or anyway, far from religious, even though most of them are not conscious about this

Prej heshtjes...!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 13:02

When the first human  open his eyes an looked out on the stars he wonder if there was something more then this.

what I mean is even in the prehistory and I don't mean late 10 000 I mean 60 000 people wonder if there was something greater.

How do you act on something that couldn't be explained at that point  Gods spirits I was easierBig smile

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 15:06
There are I believe several cultures still in existence,either in the amazon basin or the Pacific rim that, had only a loose ancestor based faith, if one could call it that, but no belief in an all powerful, or even spiritual entity, or entities. My anthro. isn't all that good but I do remember reading several essays regarding them.
I remember the concept because of the idea, how do you account for something with no logical explanation. The attitude was, it just is, thats the way it is nothing to do but live with it.  That attitude is kind of unique to humankind, we most always need reasons for everything
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
louanna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote louanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 08:55
Do surnames give an indication if Albanians are Muslim or Christian?
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 20:17
Originally posted by louanna

Do surnames give an indication if Albanians are Muslim or Christian?

Not always. Sometimes from somebodys surname you can understand his family background, but not always. Many surnames are used in catholic, orthodox an islam faith.
Those family names that indicate the faith are the ones usually similar to turlish or greek. If some albanian three centuries ago was a muslim named Mehmet, and gave his name to the family, probably the Mehmeti family is of muslim background. Same is with some orthodox and catholic family names, but anyway, it is impossible to tell by the surname the religion.
Prej heshtjes...!
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 22:01
Japan is probably one of the least religious countries on earth. I've recently come across an article that talks about how "formalism" is a form of religion in Japan, hence the elaborate tea ceremony and the fancy packaging of all the merchandise one can think of.

Strictly speaking, neither Confucianism or Buddhism should be considered as a "religion" in the sense that Christianity or Islam is. So Red Clay is actually right in pointing out that people in East Asian countries in general do not really follow a specific "god".

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 04:55
Originally posted by Stark

Just been wondering about something, and it is about Religion. Are there any cultures that never had a Religion, or that didn't follow any god(s)?

I don't think there are any that never had supernatural beliefs of some sort, but of course, there are many in which such beliefs were not taken so seriously and sometimes not even held at all by the majority.

Also, there are many cultures whose supernatural beliefs are difficult to reconcile with the notion of a "god". Many varieties of animism imbue all objects with a spirit or personality, but they are generally on a level with the spirit or personality that inhabits human beings - they have a physical body, they are destructible, and so forth. Go a step up the ladder of religious evolution, and some of these beings are elevated to have a "portfolio" of natural phenomena attributed to them, for instance, rain or wind - and, therefore, unlike simple animist spirits they are incorporeal or dwell in an alternate reality. Go a little further and people are offering things so they don't cause a flood or blow their house down. Go a little further and these beings gain a priesthood to accept the offerings, who often campaign to take over the portfolios belonging to other deities, so that one being consolidates power over the wind, the rain, and lightning. Eventually you arrive at monotheism. So, it all depends where along the line you draw the line between a spirit and a god.

Post Reply Post Reply