Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThey have the right to be Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Poll Question: Should people in Western Thrace be free to call themselves Turkish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [66.67%]
10 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: They have the right to be Turkish
    Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:11
you can either raise your voice agains the ongoing violations that your fellow citizen of Turkish origin have to undero and gain the gratitude of these people, or  remaine silently complicit in these violations and be a proud but a bigotted patriot without a heart.

I've already stated that the minority was not treated well,for many reasons:History,State policies,Turkish agressiveness.I am not going to hide anything.But,there is no Turkish minority.The Lausanne Treaty clearly states that,and since it is the only legal document which is in power until today,then there is no reason even to talk about it.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by Spartakus

I've already stated that the minority was not treated well,for many reasons:History,State policies,Turkish agressiveness.I am not going to hide anything.But,there is no Turkish minority.

In short you are saying the Turks were not treated well because they deserved it...

You still havent expressed any opposition to the banning of peaceful associations, quite the opposite you have expressed your support because  in your opinion they serve the interests of another country.

If we cant even agree on such basic questions as the respect of everybody's right of association within our countries, what is the hope to agree on other more difficult questions...

Edited by bg_turk - 11-Jun-2006 at 14:23
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:33
In short i am saying that the Muslims of Western Thrace (Pomaks,Roma,Turks) were not treated well because of certain historical factors.The factor of the history of Hellas,the factor of the State Policies,which isolated the minority and gave it to the hands of the Turkish Consulate of Thrace,and the factor of Turkish agressiveness.I did not say that i agree with all that or disagree.I just presented them.

I am opposed to any mistreatment of Hellen citizens,minority people and the rest Hellen citizens,by the Hellenic State,but i am also against any kind of action by people who want to harm the integrity and prosperity of a democratical country like Hellas.

In order to solve the problem ,if it even exists,is to make a new Treaty.But this is way too complicated.The Treaty of Lausanne does only determines the Muslims of Western Thrace but also the borders of the 2 countries and the domination of Hellas in the islands of the Eastern Aegean Sea.I doubt that the European Court of Human rights has any right to re-design the borders in the area.....

Edited by Spartakus - 11-Jun-2006 at 14:35
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:45

I am opposed to any mistreatment of Hellen citizens,minority people and the rest Hellen citizens,by the Hellenic State,but i am also against any kind of action by people who want to harm the integrity and prosperity of a democratical country like Hellas.

You still haven't opposed the banning of these organizations.

Does being a Turk in Greece and seeking to establish a Turkish Women's Union "harm the integrity and prosperity of a democratical country like Hellas"? Yes or no?

Do you support the banning of Turkish women's and teacher's organizations in Greece? Yes or no?

For me these are human right issues that Greece is supposed to respect as part of her obligations as an EU member state, and not a question of bilateral agreements with Turkey. We are talking about the well being of your own citizens, which cannot be held hostage to inability to reach bilateral agreements with another country which is not yet even in the EU.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:51
As I see, there was absolutely no reason for me posting before, as firstly I observe that it was totally disregarded and secondly that the purpose of this thread is to prove that there are violations of the rights of Turks in Greece.
I consider threads operating on an agenda to be a disgrace to the AE Forum and threads such as this one here was the reason that I remained inactive in here. Shame.
Enjoy your flames...
CARRY NOTHING
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 14:55
If the banning of these organizations is against the Hellenic Law and Constitution,then of course i am opposed to them.But if this banning was made due to the dark purposes of certain Turks and in order to protect the Law ,the State  and Democracy from a real danger,then i am in favour of it.

For me these are human right issues that Greece is supposed to respect as part of her obligations as an EU member state, and not a question of bilateral agreements with Turkey. We are talking about the well being of your own citizens, which cannot be held hostage to inability to reach bilateral agreements with another country which is not yet even in the EU.

It's not just a bilateral agreement,it's the bilateral agreement.It is the one that determines the status quo in the area.If sth happens with it,sth changes or if it is abolished,then we will most highly go to a war or sth near it.And then ,the muslims of Western Thrace will be the least of our problems.We are talking about peace in the area,the wellfare of 2 nations.And there is no European citizen nowadays that can really understand the complexity of this situation.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 15:01
Originally posted by Menippos

As I see, there was absolutely no reason for me posting before, as firstly I observe that it was totally disregarded

I did not ignore your post. I simply felt no need to respond because I largely agreed with its content. The ongoing violations of what remains of the once a hundred thousand strong Greek minority in Istanbul are undisputable, and well documented by various human rights organizations including the one that you quoted in your post.

and secondly that the purpose of this thread is to prove that there are violations of the rights of Turks in Greece.

This thread cannot "prove" that there are violations, this has been proven by human rights organizations which you referred to your in your post as well.  There have been improvements in recent years, but the fact remains that Turkish identity in Greece is still denied.

Edited by bg_turk - 11-Jun-2006 at 15:02
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 15:04

But if this banning was made due to the dark purposes of certain Turks and in order to protect the Law ,the State  and Democracy from a real danger,then i am in favour of it.

How does a woman's organization pose a danger to the state, Spartakus?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 16:33
A woman's organization can actually be the perfect "vitrine",because it is one of the least suspected.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 16:53

A woman's organization can actually be the perfect "vitrine",because it is one of the least suspected.

Spartakus, please submit, and quit this obstinacy with finding excuses which look progessively dumber!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 16:58

For you maybe it seems dumb,but not for the secret services around the globe.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 17:11

For you maybe it seems dumb,but not for the secret services around the globe.

Quit it now, will you?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 18:20
As i see you have self-knowledge of what you are.....
Sorry dude,whether you want to accept it or not,that's what it is.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 18:21
Originally posted by bg_turk

I did not ignore your post. I simply felt no need to respond because I largely agreed with its content. The ongoing violations of what remains of the once a hundred thousand strong Greek minority in Istanbul are undisputable, and well documented by various human rights organizations including the one that you quoted in your post.

This thread cannot "prove" that there are violations, this has been proven by human rights organizations which you referred to your in your post as well.  There have been improvements in recent years, but the fact remains that Turkish identity in Greece is still denied.

I must apologise as this was one of the poorest times of my understanding and idiosyncracy.Ouch

I am actually concerned because I see that the conversation has not progressed by even an inch.
Unfortunately, my pilaf is ready and I regret that I have to leave you but I am really hungry.TongueSmile
CARRY NOTHING
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 18:39

As i see you have self-knowledge of what you are.....
Sorry dude,whether you want to accept it or not,that's what it is.

You are increasingly delusional in your denial that banning the Turkish Womens Organization in Thrace was wrong.
But anyway sooner or later you will have to land in the ocean of reality.
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 18:39
Ok, lets get some things straight:
1. Bg I think you are smart enough to realise my sarcasm and smarter enough to pretend that you didn't realise my sarcasm.
2. Menippos made a very good post, which puts things in their right dimension and it is up to date. If you largely agree with him BG then you should stop exaggerating about the human rights violation in W.Thrace.
3. If a Greek citizen feels that he is a Turk then he has every right to say that he is a Turk and this right is totally respected by me and by the Greek State.
4. Whether they can call an organization "Turkish" or not is more of a political and legal issue, than a human rights issue. Call me a nationalist if you want for my last statement, but I believe that it is more important for Human Rights to be respected in reality and not on paper. For example it is more imrortant to have 200+ minotiry schools with 400+ Muslim teachers (reality), than have a Teachers Union and call it Turkish (paper).
5. Yes, there are still problems with the Muslim Minority and I wish there were no Human Right violations. However, the situation is improving continuously and I believe (and hope that) this trend will continue.
6. This time I was being serious.

P.S.: Menippos I see that you are really needed in this forum. Please stay.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 19:31
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

1. Bg I think you are smart enough to realise my sarcasm and smarter enough to pretend that you didn't realise my sarcasm.

So you were sarcastic in what you said?

Actually to be honest I thought your conern about the Turkish minority and your disapproval of the ongoing violations agains them was genuine.

Well, what can I say... I am disappointed. I have always been genuine and honest in everything I say in this forum but maybe I should not have been so naive to expect that other will respond in the same way.

If you or Spartakus cannot be man enough to say that the denial of ethnic identity of minorities is wrong (and accept that it was wrong to ban the Turkish cultural organizations in Thrace) without being sarcastic, then I am sorry that this is what you have decided ... but as I have stated before I stand firmly by the principle that denial of ethnic identity  is wrong for the Kurds and Greeks in Turkey, for the Pomaks in Bulgaria, for the Greeks in Albania and for all other disowned, dispossessed and forgotten minorities in this world. I firmly stand by my words and condemn the denial of persons identity as a horrible crime.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 19:52

Well, that's called paranoia.

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 20:09
@bg_turk
If you read my post again and try to comprehend it (actually it's not hard to make it, since it is pretty straightforward), you will realise that your reply is rubbish.
There are people of Turkish origin in Western Thrace and nobody denies that Period
They have the right to call themselves Turkish Period
Their Human Rights should be respected Period

Edited by Neoptolemos - 11-Jun-2006 at 20:10
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

There are people of Turkish origin in Western Thrace and nobody denies that Period
They have the right to call themselves Turkish Period
Their Human Rights should be respected Period

Fine, I do not know why you needed to say that you were "sarcastic" then.

Can you also state your position on the ban of Turkish Women's Union in Rodopi. Do you approve of it like Spartakus who thinks it is beneficial for the state security, or do you believe it is part of the human right violations that you have stated above are unacceptable? From your last post it seemed like you were approving it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>