Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kayseri

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayseri
    Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 19:03

I just wanted to talk and discuss a little bit about my hometown,from where I am away for six years, Kayseri...

Kayseri, Roman name Caesarea, Armenian name Mazaka,is just around Cappodocia...

It is located near the Silk Road, therefore, it had been a point of interest for many empires and states,and had been an important commercial and cultural center for many civilizations.

Kayseri has a 6000-year history(till the first settlements around the region).The Hittites, who had come to Anatolia around BC 2000s, had founded the city of Kultepe-Kanesh, which is located 22 km northeast of Kayseri.It had been one of the major cities of the empire of the Hittites and had been a major trading post with the Assyrian traders coming into the city.Many tablettes and remnants have been found in archaelogical excavations, revealing the commerce between Assyrian traders and local folk.Therefore, this city had been an opening point for Mesopotamian civilization to move into Anatolia and for the writing and alphabet to be spread in Anatolia.There are many other settlements around Kanesh which were also small cities,like Karum(Pazarşehir)

There is also another fortress named Kululu 68 km northeast of Kayseri and it had been used as a mountain fortress in Helenistic and Roman era for a long time.

After the Hittites dissolved,the Kingdom of Tabal(BC 11th-7th century)(Tabal is the name of the region around Kızılırmak) reigned over the area,and at that time, the place where today's Kayseri is located, had been developed and been the capital of this kingdom.

Then the city fell under Med, and then Persian administration around BC 6th century, and stayed that way for a long while, carrying on its importance as a center.

After that, Alexander the Great came and passed away, after a short domination by him, the independent Kingdom of Cappadocia was found around BC 280(Note that Seleucid Empire, who had the control of Southeastern Anatolia,Syria and Iraq, wasn't able to extend its influence to this region)...Kayseri was the capital of that kingdom and its population had reached 400.000 and been a real large city.Houses and churches carved into stone caves can still be seen in Kayseri, mostly in the place named Soğanlı...

One detail we shall not forget is Mount Erciyes...Mount Erciyes, which is used as a ski center today, used to be a volcano...Volcanic eruptions occurred in past had caused a great deal of damage to Kayseri, killing thousands of people,destroying many antique monuments..There are several recorded eruptions, especially in Cappadocian and Roman era,which really severely hit the city

Later, in AD 17, Romans conquered the city and a Roman governor had started to rule the city and it was renamed as Caesarea, and remained in Byzantine borders after the division of the empire.After then, even though not politically, it commercially continued to protect its key position and importance.

Now, I gotta go to bed Smile,Part I---Kayseri Before Christ had been finished,

The rest, Part II---Return of the Evil SithTongue(shortly Kayseri AD)will come tomorrow...Waiting for your comments,additions,questions,if anyone is interested in this topicSmile...
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 19:10
At the part two could you provide some pictures from that extraordinary region and city?

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 19:34
Originally posted by Menumorut

At the part two could you provide some pictures from that extraordinary region and city?

Yes, that's among part of my dark plansSmile
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 02:48
There were a lot of towns named Caesarea in the Roman Empire. Your Caesarea was also called Caesarea Mazaca to distinguish it from others.

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 03:25
There were many other Caesarias, in Lebanon, in Syria, in Balkans. Caesaria Mazaca was always the capital of Cappadocian region, whose borders extended from Taurus to Pontus (Black Sea), from Lyconia (Konya) to Euphrates according to Heredotus.

BTW Mazaca isn't Armenian, it's Hittite. And as I know, the name was still used during the Seljuk period, after that, it was simply refered as "Kayseri". The Armenian minority of the city also refered the city as "Kayseriah". The city was renamed so by Claudius the Roman emperor.

The other great cities of Cappadocia were Nigada (Nigde today) and Tyana (Kemerhisar/Bor) in the south, Urgup in the west, Hattusha (Corum) on the north and Milida (Malatya) on the east. Cappadocia was the first region in Anatolia to be densely settled and Turkified. Many important Islamic figures from Khorasan such as Haji Bektash Veli helped the Islamification of the region, and so that most of the tombs are in Cappadocia, and Turks found new cities in the region, such as Nevshehr and Aksaray (where my father is from). The first official declaration of Turkish language being the official language, and had to be the only spoken language in all shrines, mosques, squares was made in Cappadocia, by Karamanoğlu Mehmed Bey in 1277, and 280 years after the region's conquest, it was totally Turkified. Even the Christians of the region have spoken Turkish and prayed in Turkish until modern times.
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 08:14
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

BTW Mazaca isn't Armenian, it's Hittite. And as I know, the name was still used during the Seljuk period, after that, it was simply refered as "Kayseri". The Armenian minority of the city also refered the city as "Kayseriah". The city was renamed so by Claudius the Roman emperor.

Yes it is Hittite, and called that way during the reign of Cappadocian Kingdom...But the Armenians still call it as Mazaka, that's why I said Mazaka was the Armenian nameWink, but the name's descent is far more antique.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 08:34
SUCUKBig smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
sultanfatih View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sultanfatih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 15:06
thanks a lot for your intentions about turkeyi
i am looking forward to hearing from you about turkish history
and ottoman thanksLOL
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 15:06
hemserim mantiyla pastirmayi unuttunWink

BTW you didnt mention the great turkish architect Mimar Sinan who lived in Agirnas, Kayseri
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
traveler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 04:35
TO SAY ABIT MORE ABOUIT THE CITY...   
The first mental hospital in the world was built in Kayseri in the 12th century.At the time in many developed countries of today mantally handicapped people were being burned alive since they were believed to have evil spirits.
In Gavhar Nasiba Mental Hospital the sick was treated with music and the sound of water which relieved them.

For the last five years the city has devloped so fast attracting both tourists and people from other cities to live and work there.
Mt Erciyes, the 2nd highest peak of Turkey is a ski center for skiers.And Sultan Sazligi (a bird''s paradise) hosts hundreds of differents bird species including some that are in danger of becoming extinct.
The city's attarction is not only the historically rich places, but also the locals.
The city is also famous for its carpets; you can find wonderful hand-made rugs and carpets. There are also clean, reliable restaurants where you can taste tradiditional Manti, Borek etc. (You can even find McDonald's like food shops.)
I reckon that's enough eh?
Do not take Travler's word for it. Go and enjoy it.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:03
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Kayseri, Roman name Caesarea, Armenian name Mazaka,is just around Cappodocia...

When İ gone to Cappodocia, the tourguide told me that Cappodocia name comes from Carpadosia, wich means ''land of the good horses'' in old local language(But i couldnt remember wich language it was, maybe Hitit language)

karajoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote karajoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:14

a very interesting city kayseri. i know a few very good friends out of this town kurdish and turkish and would like to go there once by my self and do a little sight seeing.

kapikulu, have a good time-gurbet de. ben de yeni selandia giddim bes yil ne.  

thanx for the article and take care.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:45
I spend a week in kayseri 5 years ago.  I still remember names of some its regions such as yeni mahalesi, sivas, fati mahalasi, kale, char shi ,... very beautiful and attractive city, but not as attractive as Istanbul, Izmir, Antali or Adana. Wink

Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:47
What does gorame mean in turkish? It is a place between Nevsehir and kayseri.
Anfører
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 09:30
Originally posted by sirius99

What does gorame mean in turkish? It is a place between Nevsehir and kayseri.

its something about "seeing" in turkish.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 09:34

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 11:07
Which montain is that Oz? Erciyes?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 13:35
Kayseri is absolute one of most beatiful city(And I saw a lot city.) at anatolia. I bow traders of Kayseri, They invested their city much.

And, yeas It have superb pastırma.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 04:11
Which pastirma? From normal cow meat, or from donkey/horse meat? LOL
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by erkut

Which montain is that Oz? Erciyes?

yes it is Erciyes.

here you can find more photos of Kayseri
http://galeri.erciyes.edu.tr/cat.asp?iCat=13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>