Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould turkey be allowed into the EU?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Should Turkey be allowed join the EU
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [54.84%]
14 [45.16%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should turkey be allowed into the EU?
    Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:16
Originally posted by bg_turk

The key word that you are missing is "transitional".

I'm not missing any word. I now very well what I quoted.
These limitations on residency will be only temporary and they will extend no further than 19 years after reunification or Turkish membership (whichever is earlier), and will not be permament derogations as Leonidas seemed to impy.

20 years (!) after reunification. Makes you wonder what kind of reunification it is... future reunification...
Such temporary limitations exist for other EU citizens such as those in Poland and their right to reside in the EU for instance

EU is a union of sovereign States. Cyprus is one (1) State, so it's not the same thing.
and it is only natural that they exist since each constitutent state of United Cyprus will need time to deal with the massive population movement that will occur as a result of unification.

There could be some short-term limitations in order for the unification to go smoothly, I don't disagree, but only 40-50,000 GC are allowed to move in a 19 years time span??? Please...

By the way I too hope that the negotiations with the EU will continue ... but it looks increasingly likely that Southern Cyprus will derail (that there will be a Cyprus Train Crash as Baroso says).

Baroso can say whatever he wants. I'm missing Prodi already anyways...

I hope you are right that the negotations will continue but do not expect Turkey to compromise further on Cyprus

If Turkey is not going to compromise further on Cyprus (sic), then I may have to change my statement; sooner or later the negotiations will be suspended.
A golden opportunity for reunification was missed.

Indeed. If only the Plan makers where a bit more carefull we would have a unified Cyprus now.
It was a take it or leave it kind of opportunity, which Greek Cypriots chose to reject in the hope of getting a much better deal with EU help but they might as well get nothing in return now. Partition is more likely than ever.

I've told you again, untill a few years ago the Turkish position was that the problem in Cyprus is solved, i.e. defacto partition.  Today Turkey recognises that there is a problem, so partition is less likely than in the past.

Edited by Neoptolemos - 10-Jun-2006 at 23:16
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 23:26
I have answers for most of your concerns but maybe I should refrain in order not to digress from the topic further...

if you are really interested in the Cyprus problem feel free to raise those issues in

www.talkcyprus.org

Maybe I should just reply to your point regarding the 19 year period. It is the maximal time for restrictions, most of Greek Cypriots refugees would have returned much earlier in the first years after unification (for example Morphou would now be Greek again had the plan been accepted). The longer limitation on residence and buying property in the TCCS was necessary due to Turkish Cypriot concerns that they will be overflooded and made economically dependent on the richer South, and it was though that this period was a good compromise that would provide them with just enought time to catch up economically after decades of isolation and deprivation.

Edited by bg_turk - 10-Jun-2006 at 23:36
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 02:35
Originally posted by Bulldog

Blame? don't you like being Australlian? if you do I think that'll be "thank the Brittish", now why don't you return the favour and allow others to settle in that huge continant in the same way you did a hundred or so years ago Smile

Your Australlian why does it bother you if Turkey enters the EU or not? 

Yeh i like being an Aussie. It may be a huge continent, but its mainly desert.

Naaaa screw returning favors, well never get paid backSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 02:37
Originally posted by Bulldog

Machine
Hyperthetically your right, in reality your wrong. Australia was a British/European colony, end of story.

I have nothing against immigrants from Middle Eat, Asia and Africa, but we dont need hordes of them.

But there's already been horde's of European immigrant's, if people of your mentallity were ruling Australlia back then you wouldn't be an Australlian think of it that way.

Besides Australlia is HUGE and has a tiny population in proportion to its land mass, its not like your running out of space, further more you need the immigration to make use of all that land.

p.s Leonadis, Hurriyet-English online Version ConfusedI've never read a more absurd newspaper.

Oh damn your right perhaps we should start settling millions of immigrants in central AustraliaLOL Australia cant sustain anymore than what its got now. NO WATER.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 02:43
Originally posted by Leonidas

Originally posted by machine

Leonidas im not sure what your problem is. If your beloved Greece was taking in hordes of immigrants im sure you would not be too happy about that. Just imagine Athens being like Sydney, would that make you happy?? 

i dont "love" greece BTW. I'm proud of being greek and see other greeks wherever they are from as my own, thats different to loving a country i dont even live in.

How is it that I who's own ethnicity has a bloody and long history with the islamic world ( losing real family ancestors) have no problems with muslims today, yet you get all xenophobic about them?

athens/greece is full of immigrants, many are muslim. The fact your even comparing greeks in greece with anglo-celts to australia, is a bit rich ...

Originally posted by bg_turk

Let's hope Athens will never have to experience something like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da68002e708/nb/09012da68002e9d4_16x9_nb.asx

your quickLOL

Maybe i like Australia as it is Leo. Australia will do fine with a anglo-celt population + others.

When im talking of immigrants im not just talking about Muslims either Leonidas.

Why is it all people such as yourself have to say it xenophobia this xenophobia that when thats not the case.

Edited by machine - 11-Jun-2006 at 03:02
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 12:10

Mico

Well I always knew about Turkeys strategic importance in the region and Americas keen interest in Turkish Friendship. I didn't know about its importance regarding future energy supplies though, but now I can really see the important role Turkey could play in Europes future. Europe is already on the edge when it come to energy supplies, relying on Russians for gas, not to mention the prices for petrol these days

Im part Irish aswell Big smile

You should really look into Turkey's role as a future energy hub its quite amazing.

The B-T-C pipeline is going to start pumping very soon, now there is a huge project waiting to be undertaken which will attempt to transfer the ridiculously rich fields of Khazakhstan and Turkmenistan across the Caspian Sea by-passing the other states straight into the already existing B-T-C pipeline.

Now this will reduce our need for the Russians and Middle East, a democratic, friendly majority Muslim state which is progressive and rapidly advancing country like Turkey is absolutely vital, aswell as this the states it will be transfering between are Turks aswell apart from Georgia so their situation will also improve, the West-East rift could be eased a little.

If you look into this you'll realise why Tukey is more vital then some of us would like to think.

Pushing Turkey away and treating her in this prejeduce way is self-destructive for Europe, its a shame "Old Europe" is so backwards and narrow-minded in its thinking that it cannot see lets say 20-30 years ahead.

The UK should ignore the ignorant pollitics of the EU and persue its own goals to secure its interest in this key region, its already being done by the way and BP is doing alot of work down there.

Let EU have its childish fun, Austria is still crying about Vienna I mean common should we tell Austria "We Remember Hitler", the Nazi's are invading Europe again, their out to destroy us.

If the rest of Europe can forget about their little period of expansion which was 50 years ago why are they still p*ssin their pants about events hundreds of years ago.

And for this Cyprus or Greek Cyprus Turkish Cyprus or Aegean bla bla bla nonsense, its just hilarious, their like old woman bickering non-stop

Just look at the debate, their arguing over points in the Annan Plan.

This is of absolutely no importance or significance to the rest of Europe, its timewasting over such obscure matters.

There is Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots get over it guys, you obviously cannot live together so accept two seperate states and give our heads a rest.

Build friendship with the Turks, were going to need them more than you think in the near future.

Unless we all want another Iran Confused

Edited by Bulldog - 11-Jun-2006 at 12:17
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 23:40

Im part Irish aswell Big smile

You should really look into Turkey's role as a future energy hub its quite amazing.

The B-T-C pipeline is going to start pumping very soon, now there is a huge project waiting to be undertaken which will attempt to transfer the ridiculously rich fields of Khazakhstan and Turkmenistan across the Caspian Sea by-passing the other states straight into the already existing B-T-C pipeline.

Now this will reduce our need for the Russians and Middle East, a democratic, friendly majority Muslim state which is progressive and rapidly advancing country like Turkey is absolutely vital, aswell as this the states it will be transfering between are Turks aswell apart from Georgia so their situation will also improve, the West-East rift could be eased a little.

If you look into this you'll realise why Tukey is more vital then some of us would like to think.

Pushing Turkey away and treating her in this prejeduce way is self-destructive for Europe, its a shame "Old Europe" is so backwards and narrow-minded in its thinking that it cannot see lets say 20-30 years ahead.

The UK should ignore the ignorant pollitics of the EU and persue its own goals to secure its interest in this key region, its already being done by the way and BP is doing alot of work down there.

Let EU have its childish fun, Austria is still crying about Vienna I mean common should we tell Austria "We Remember Hitler", the Nazi's are invading Europe again, their out to destroy us.

If the rest of Europe can forget about their little period of expansion which was 50 years ago why are they still p*ssin their pants about events hundreds of years ago.

And for this Cyprus or Greek Cyprus Turkish Cyprus or Aegean bla bla bla nonsense, its just hilarious, their like old woman bickering non-stop

Just look at the debate, their arguing over points in the Annan Plan.

This is of absolutely no importance or significance to the rest of Europe, its timewasting over such obscure matters.

There is Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots get over it guys, you obviously cannot live together so accept two seperate states and give our heads a rest.

Build friendship with the Turks, were going to need them more than you think in the near future.

Unless we all want another Iran

Well said, I totally agree on the future importance of such a friendship between Europe and Turkey, hopefully more in Europe will come to see it too.
I also think the Cypruss issue is totally ridiculous. Nobody but Turkey and Greece give a D@#M about Cypruss, it's obvious that it is being used by others in Europe and a slowing technique to stagnate turkish entrance.

Your right about needing the Turks in the future, not just for energy, but also being one of the most stable democracies in the region(i couldn;t think of one besides Israel which is more so) and therefore a natural ally.

As for people worried about the flood of turkish migrants after they enter the EU, i think thats ridiculous. Whether you like it or not, Europe is going to continue to recieve a growing number of immigrants(Africa,middle-east, indian sub-contient, Russia/Ukraine), it's unstoppable and the entrance of Turkey is likely to have only a minor effect on this.

Iran i'm not worried about at all, I think this nuclear issue is being blown way out of proportion by Europe and the States. They are always critisiing Iran for human rights violations etc....when Saudi Arabia(one of the worst human rights violaters in the world) is one of Americas closest ally. Also shouldn't we be looking at North Korea instead of Iran, in my eyes they pose a much bigger threat.

Cheers to being Irish!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 23:57
Micobei thats where you and I differ. This flood of immigrants is stoppable and should be stopped ASAP.

Whether you like it or not right wing parties are becoming more popular.
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:18
Micobei thats where you and I differ. This flood of immigrants is stoppable and should be stopped ASAP.

Whether you like it or not right wing parties are becoming more popular.

...............................................................................................................
How do you propose to stop it, a war on immigration is like the war on drugs, unwinable. The only way i could see it stopping is if draconian measures that completely compromised human rights were imposed in Europe....in this day and age i don't see that happening. Also immigration into Europe will be much harder to curb than that into Australia. Australia is much more isolated and Europe offers much more entry points, eg.. through the balkans, moroco-spain, through Russia and Eastern Europe etc...

Yes i know there is a surge in right-wing thinking in Europe, especially on the continent(France, Austia, Netherlands etc..). But unless Europe experiences some horrendos disaster or huge financial difficulty, these hardline parties will not be such a problem. As it was in Germany, the Nazis only came to power during a time of financial crisis and disallusion.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:34

So your saying you should let people just waltz into Europe because it cant be stopped????

It can be stopped. Just takes more hardline methods. Im sure most Europeans would welcome the idea.
Not brutal methods of course, just methods to curve the ongoing problem.

Whats the Nazis got to with anything???? People like you just love using Hitler as the scapegoat to villify anything that does not suit your liberal agenda.

Are you Asian by any chance Mico Bei???

Edited by machine - 12-Jun-2006 at 00:43
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:47
Machine, just wondering, where abouts do you live?

Europe and Australia have to accept migrants, its not a matter of choice. We both have declining birth rates and the effect of rejecting migrants is population decline and economic stagnation.
mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:53

So your saying you should let people just waltz into Europe because it cant be stopped????

It can be stopped. Just takes more hardline methods. Im sure most Europeans would welcome the idea.

Whats the Nazis got to with anything???? People like you just love using Hitler as the scapegoat to villify anything that does not suit your liberal agenda.

Your Asian arent you??? No wonder your all for this sh*t.
................................................................................................................

You didn't answer my question, how do you propose to stop it? Hardline methods, whats does that mean?I already said draconian measures, be specific? You must have some great plan to stop immigration, lets hear it, im sure nobody in europe has thought of it before...

Did i say i was overjoyed about immigration, I have my problems with it like everyone else...however im being realistic here.

Nazis are historys way of showing us where right-wing policies could lead us, Japan is an example of that aswell. I wouldn't go as far to say im a liberal, im not a conservative either, my views differ on various subjects.

No im not Asian, im an Irish person who just happens to be living in Asia at the moment. If i was Asian whatwould be the difference anyways?

mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:56
haha..i saw your post before you edited it
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 06:32
Turkey is simply NOT Europe.

I am against this "degeneration" of European vision.
From a progress towards a new political structure (a federation,or a confederation),EU turns to a loose association of countries, on economical  basis only.

On the other hand i totally agree with a "special relationship" of Turkey with EU.This will have benefits for both (esp Turkey of course),and will really help in the democratization of this country.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 07:07
Originally posted by Digenis

What is Europe?

bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 07:17
europe is a `malaka `i think
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 07:19
i am not a fan eu.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 07:52
Originally posted by bleda

europe is a `malaka `i think

Watch your language boy.Angry
How would u feel if someone told "Turkey is an asshole"?

Its obvious you dont feel European.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 08:03
Originally posted by barish

Originally posted by Digenis

What is Europe?

Definitions of Europe:
-the Caroligian Empire
-Christian Europe
-West of the Urals and North of the mediterrainian

Eastern Europe:
-The area conqurered by either Turkey or Russia

I actually think that Europe is an area that is bounded by Turkey and Russia. They define the boundaries of Europe. However if Cyprus is in Europe then Turkey definietly is. Even Lebanon should be in Europe if Cyprus is.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 08:14
Cyprus is inhabited by Greeks the last 3000 years.
Greek civilization is tha basis of european culture.

And after all Cyprus is an island,we can consider it whatever we want-Eurpean,Asian,AfricanBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>